Carlton Hotel

sherv_sherv

hi serene,
ur original package includes food tasting for 6 pax for 6 dishes and you managed to negotiate 10 pax for 9 dishes without additional charge?
When is your AD and did you sign up duirng wedding show?
I am trying to ask for 10 pax 9 dishes too but my co-ordinator told me cannot. =(

ahmei

hi, got question...for those extra stuff that you managed to neogtiate, that differs from the 'standard' package, will the co-ordinator list in it the contract / agreement that is signed with the hotel? Thanks!

ahmei

yup mine also didn't allow up-ing the no. of pple or dishes for food tasting...

anyone knows if they have any show coming up?

lindytan

ah mei: i heard there is one coming up during sept. you can call up carlton to check: 63118181

kk: thanks. 800 is only for photo right?

all: any recommendation where to book wedding cakes and buy those weddings things for shu tou etc?

zhu_nai

Lindy

you can try chinatown. there are a few shops there who sell all these and according to my sister, they are not ex lah, cos nowadays you seldom can find people selling all these ardy.. go there and have a look.

hi all
sorry, you gals have talked a lot before i joined, so I may ask qns that you all have talked about before. please bear with me. though i still have a lot of time, im beginning to look out and find out more. im getting confused over who said what!!.. hhhaaa
happy.gif

hamster_gal

hi geberra,

for those things that u negotiate, like free wines, extra night in bridal suite, free helpers' room etc significant stuff better have them listed in the contract....
for the minor stuff like more invitation cards or parking coupons etc i did not have them listed on my contract as carlton coordinators told me they are flexible and can accomodate if i need 5% more.... but these things cna only confirm closer to the AD....
happy.gif

hi all,
did anyone's FH had a suit tailor-made? any good tailors to recommend? me thinking of bringing him to Peninsula Plaza this weekend to custom make one... any idea about the price?
thanks for the advice
happy.gif

blueberry

Lindy,

$800 for everything. 680 for the package with him. the rest are additional hours and extra developing photos.

I got my cakes from Pine Garden.

Hamester_gal,

My hubby made his at Men's tradtion. find it's cheaper there.

sereneli

Hi Sherv,
I signed up on "normal days". I manage to get the 10 pax for 9 dishes without any top up.

Hi Gerberra,
Yeap, they are supposed to list it in the contract. Do check carefully before you sign.

Hi Lindy,
You can try Chinatown market for those traditional stuff. If you know where's CK departmental stall, just go towards the market at the side, you should be able to see a shop there which is quite comprehensive.

As for cakes, I think a lot of people bought from Pine Garden and Bengawan Solo....guess more popular choices kekeke

Hi ZhuNai,
No worries, we are all here to share
happy.gif

Hi Hamster Gal,
My FH's suit is tailored with Personality Menshop @ Peninsular. This tailor ties up with my BS but according to my FH, the service is great but prices we don't know cos ours is included in my BS package, you may want to check them out!
happy.gif

zhu_nai

hi all

normally, the BS pakage would include photographer for the indoor and outdoor shoots, but do they also normally include the photographer for AD?

for make up artist, i think also included in the package for indoor and outdoor right? so what about AD?

i know nuts about all these things leh, and my other half doesn't botehr so much about these... can smeone advise me please? like what are the normal items in a package and what I need to look out for when looking for a BS.

anyone has a good one to recommend?

thanks

ahmei

thanks gal for all the tips!

zhu nai, im also looking at BS at the moment..those 'higher-end' ones usually have outsourced the photography part and they tied up with diff 'higher-end'photography.. u narrowed to any choices?

zhu_nai

hi geberra

i have not shortlisted any BS or hotels yet. now still at the looking-around stage lor. what about you. when is our AD? which have you looked at? i haven done much actually, cos i still have q a bit of time. so, i just ask and listen and keep for future reference lor.

my sister went to Z wedding, said ok. my cousin went to In wedding i think, said not good. a friend of mine went to everbliss. although forum comments were not good, my friend say so far so good.

ahmei

Mine is next year, so still got time.. I think it’s important to visit them yourself bcos need to see if you’re comfortable with the designer, look at the quality of their gowns, their service.. so far I’ve looked at some packages, more or less about the same…i thot Z wedding's design is not bad (seen at the Style Weddings Show)

erkerk

Hi Lindy,

u had your food tasting already? how was the food, what type of prawns u chosed? Btw, I heard mango duck is combination of 1 slice of duck and 1 slice of mango..u only got peach and mango??

Hi kk,

how much is per cake from Pine garden? is their boxes nice?

lindytan

yes, i had mine last weekend. overall the food is good. i choose taro prawns. not very nice. might need to change to other type of cooking if possible. ya lo. i got peach and duck, with mango sauce. haha. kk: how abt u? same rite?

kk: where is pine garden? what kind of cakes are they giving? btw, thanks for your info on photography.

serene: do you intend to give ppl card to collect the cake or you intend to deliver to each relative hse?

sereneli

Hi Lindy,
Which are the dishes you would recommend since you have went fo your food tasting?

For your info, pine garden's website is http://www.pgcake.com/ and they are located in Ang Mo Kio.

I haven't discuss with my parents yet as I would need to order at least 40 boxes of cakes and my relatives are all over Singapore
sad.gif
I am hoping to just give the card to collect....

blueberry

Hamster_gal,

I can't remember how much was the suite. But the shirt cost 50. good material too. I find it is slighly cheaper among the shops there. We went pesonality too but find they got less material to choose from(no offence, ok)

Erkerk,

I got my big wedding cake there. not the normal small ones.

Serene,
Then get the bengawan ones. I bought the wedding "cards" type of cakes. so it is easy to give ppl. and they can claim as and when they like. so no pressure to finish all the cake at one go. think you might get a discount if you order more. (check out some cards promo)

hamster_gal

hi serene, kk

i never thot about giving out cakes.... somehow never cross my mind yet...
happy.gif

when do we have to start giving out cakes? how long before the AD? must give frens and colleagues as well?
actually i thot only give out cakes when baby is one month old???? sorrie me blur
happy.gif

sereneli

Hi KK,

Aiyo, of course no offence lah...kekeke I think it's individual preference right? Anyway, my hubby is a plus size like me....so he always go tailor...his usual is at Far East Plaza but he also went to a few other shops in Peninsular to try....so far Personality and the shop at Far East provides better service....maybe next time I shall ask him to try Men's Tradition!
happy.gif

KK,
I also thought of the cards but my mum said at least my grandma and those with ancestors at home want, buy the cakes so that they can pray :p

zhu_nai

hamster gal

cakes are normally given to the bride's relatives. if you want to extend to friends, up to you. Like mentioned by Serene, it is given during GDL, which can be anytime before your AD but ple normally do GDL about a month or 2 before AD.

Serene

i think bengawan solo cards are good. from what i know, it is valid for about a year i think. so your relatives can have more time to collect the cakes. Also you dun run the risk of the cakes turning bad if you want to had deliver them on your GDL. also save the trouble esp if you dun have transport. i think it is rather common now t send the cake card together with the inivitation card. my mum always get these and being the older generation, she has neevr complained about insincerity, etc. in fact my parents always comment that this is good, more practical.

but sme people prefer "ka lui bang" (read it in cantonese) meaning the cakes for marrying off your daughter in direct literal translation.. hhaa. this is special cos many people dun practice that now. but also becos its special, it costs more and turns bad faster then those cakes that you get from bengawan. also the cakes are flaky, so may get damaged in the process of delivery.

sereneli

Hi Zhunai,

I also tot so too...for easy transport as well as for the convenience of the rest too. I shall propose to my mum tonight!
happy.gif

blueberry

Girls,

Now we all talk about cakes..

What you all can do is get some physical cakes and some cake "cards". When you all go visit relatives to give the card, either give them the cards or the cakes.
I give some to my helpers too.. at least save some brain juice from thinking what to give them.

I think Primedeli might have too.. you girls must go and check out.

Serene,

Haha.. yah no offence. scare cat fight only.. haha.. any place that is cheap and good is the best..
happy.gif

hamster_gal

hi serene and zhu nai,

thanks for explaining
happy.gif

hi all,
is it compulsory to send the invitation cards to relatives personally by hand? or can we just mail? then get bengawan cards more convenient
happy.gif

zhu_nai

hamster gal

i think its not really compulsory to give invitation by hand, but normally, close relatives are those you will meet more often and will normally hand deliver lah. depends on the culture of your family lor. sme family dun bother about such nitty gritty things, s they are ok with post. if your family is more traditional thenmaybe you have to consider deliver. actually my personal opinion is get the close relatives tgether at your place on the day you GDL. then hand them the invitation cards, as well as a short get-together just before the wedding and to discuss any help you may need on your AD.

hi all
ya, now we all tok abaout cakes..... keke

zhuzhu

Hi Hamster gal
Its courtesy to hand delivered the cards n cake to ur relatives..sort of like respect lar..actually card is convenient..but not all old folks fancy that...some will still prefer to see the cakes..no need to get too expensive cake..it just a "yi shi"...i got the cheapest..bengawan marble cake...;)

Hi zhu nai
If you had alot of relatives to hand delivered the invites...not adviceable to stay too long at one place...I had only about less than 10 relatives to send..already take the whole day liao..cos they are located at different part of the island...so we jut stand at the door..give them the cake n card..then chat for less than 5 mins and go off liao..

lindytan

serene: i think mango duck is actually quite special, can consider, something new. the cold dish bbq pork is nice, must choose plus the babay optopus. jelly fish not so nice i tin. braised shark's fin soup with conpoy & mushrooms is also not bad. as for the rest, quite usual items, like roast chicken, so up to u whether to shortlist. i will probably choose roast chicken. hehe...hey the red bean one also not bad. quite nice. how abt u? planning to choose wat dishes to try?

gals: thanks for the info on cakes... need to short list liao. will probbably got to depend on my mum whether to give cards or cakes. hopefully i can send cards too! more convenient!!

hamster_gal

hi zhuzhu and zhu nai,

thanks for the info. By the way, what is GDL? what do i have to do for GDL? how come have to invite relatives over for GDL?
sorrie me blur again...
happy.gif

happy holidays to all
happy.gif

sereneli

morning gals!

will be planning to choose the following dishes for food tasting....
A combination of Suckling Pig, BBQ Pork, Baby Octopus, Prawn Salad & Jelly Fish
Braised Shark's Fin Soup with Assorted Seafood
Braised broccoli with crabmeat
Sliced Duck with Mango
Deep-Fried Sea Bass with Sweet & Sour Sauce
Roasted Crispy Chicken
Deep-Fried Prawns coated with mashed taro
Braised Ee-Fu Noodles (item swopped with Menu 1)
Red Bean Paste with White Lily & Lotus Seeds
Jasmine Tea

Anyway, as for the cakes, my mum said let her think about it first....cos she feels giving cakes is better as it save the trouble of my older relatives from going to the shop to collect....so see how lor

hamster_gal

hi serene,

wah, u listed all those dishes....make my mouth water liao....
happy.gif

by the way, did anyone top up for more dishes? i only can choose 6... heeeheee so i'll choose the most expensive 6 dishes, then top up with the cheaper ones like noodles and desert
happy.gif

sereneli

heehee cos I just emailed to Kelvin to tell him what I wanted mah....so I just copy and paste.

Hamster_gal, you may want to email your co-ordinator the dishes that you want to try and ask them again if they can waive off? If not, just ask them how much to top up lah?

Btw, anybody bring your own wine to drink for the food tasting session? If so, is there any corkage charges?

zhu_nai

hamster_gal

GDL is " Guo Da Li"... a day when you give the ping jing, etc. sometimes, peopl will invite relatives over lah but its not a must lah. up to you. so on that day if you gather your relatives then you can had the cards and cakes to them. no need to run around. but you have to prepare a bit of food for them lah. my cousin did this actually... but we all close relatives mah, so we din bother about whether got food to eat or not. we just gather to have fun lor. but got a bit of food like fried bee hoon, curry, finger food, etc.

for food tasting i think you can bargain for more right???

hamster_gal

hi zhu nai,

thanks for the info
happy.gif

ya i think my mom got mentioned something about the ping jin before... i thot i dun have to be around on that day, so i just conveniently forgot about it and thot i can leave everything to my mom
happy.gif

when is your AD? which BS did u sign up with?

hey serene,
i know for the AD itself, corkage charges is waived but must bring duty-paid wines. when is your AD?

sereneli

Hi Hamster_gal,

Yeap I know for AD is waived...wonder if it's the same for the food tasting session.

My AD is on 26 June 2005

zhu_nai

hamster_gal

my AD is not yet fixed acually, will most probably be next nov or dec.... later than i expected. so i have not decided on anything yet, still at the looking around stage. what about you? your AD and your BS? anyway, how to go about looking for AD photograher?

lindytan

serene, i did bring my wine for food tasting tat day. no corkage charge. good! we enjoy the whole bottle tat day! heehee.

hamster_gal

hi zhu nai,

my AD is 11 Dec 05 and i'm with White Link
happy.gif

as for looking for AD photographer, u can start by reading magazines and going down to the shops to view their albums and talk to the photographers.... see if u like their style
happy.gif

me spent quite a long time searching for my photograher
happy.gif

zhu_nai

Hi Hamster gal

thanks for your reply. How is White Link's package? have you gone for the shoot already? People normally use the BS photographer for bridal shoot and then engage anther one for the AD right?

I went for the furama bridal show on sat. my husband liked the ballroom a lot, with the lightings. Have you been to see furama before? do you happen to have any pics of the carlton ballroom? those from mag not very clear... furama offering cash rebate, very attractive.

sereneli

Hi Lindy,
Thanks for the info! Kekeke my FH and I plan to bring the wine and enjoy too :p

Hi Zhuzhu,
Great! that's a huge relieve kekeke

hamster_gal

hi zhu nai,

my PS with WL is in end june, will be going down this sunday to choose gowns
happy.gif
for my case i engage external party to do my AD photo and video cos it was not in my original package with WL and i also prefer to shop around....
actually i emphasise more on AD video and photos cos i think they are more natural compared to BS PS... that's my personal opinion only
happy.gif

hey, my fren's wedding is at furama after my PS and i'm going to be her emcee for the nite
happy.gif
me did not consider furama last time.... so will only get to see it in june
happy.gif

i dun have pics of the carlton ballroom but i have a not-to-scale floor plan... if u want can drop me your email addy
happy.gif
think i got it from another bride earlier in this thread
happy.gif

i think it best that u go down and take a look at the actual place before deciding.... some people feel the columns in carlton are really huge and can block many tables... for me i'm not really that bothered
happy.gif

hi lindy,

how's your bargaining with carlton? any success?
happy.gif

lindytan

hi hamster,
no news yet. will keep u updated. tin might be low chances. but still try! haha thanks!!!

serene: remember to bring a empty stomach as the food qty will be a lot! haha.

zhunai: i tin furuma is having quite good perks. but the setting is quite differnt from carlton. it looks like space one, silvery type right? if i am not wrong, heard from my friend. but, it really depends which type of setting u like. perks can be discuss during the contract.
happy.gif

ahmei

hi gals, any comments on the following dishes in menu 1:
sliced cuttlefish sitr-friend with celery in dried chill sauce
deep-fried prok ribs with fruity sauce

anyone changed any items from the standard menu to something else?

lindytan

hi ah mei,

i did try the sliced cuttlefish. not bad...quite tasty. but did not choose tis dish in the end for my AD as feel tat ppl seldom choose this dish to treat during AD. not sure abt pork ribs. anyone try b4? i also interested to know if it is nice.....

ahmei

thanks lindy. can u share wif me what was ur menu in the end? is there any must take dish cos it's berry nice? Thanks!