Aromatherapy

angelia

<FONT COLOR="aa00aa">SSL</FONT>

i can juz mix Lavender with Eucaplytus rite?

last nite i asked the sales person at The Scent Shop whether can mix (to double couble confirm) guess what she told me???! she looked so surprise and say "better dun mix, it has better functionality when used on its own! when u mix, then it got diluted, which function shld it perform!"

then when i told her an aromatherapist(Jessica) told me that we'll actually be able to bring out the best of essential oils if we mix (corectly of cos) rather than on its own. so the lady asked me "then u mixed, what smell do u get? won't it be funny" i kind of pissed off, then juz look ard and pay and go.

maybe shld write to The Scent Shop and ask them to get salesperson with some knowledge of essential oil, if not, will mislead customers!!!

maybe tonite i'll try mixing both.

lynn

Hi Angelia,
It still works by fire, right ?.. then I am not interested.. cos I have a problem with this candle thingy, health and fire hazard to me..

Hi SSL,
I thought she said that she might have some new stocks coming in ?? Must check with her again..

angelia

<FONT COLOR="aa00aa">Lynn</FONT>
no lah, it DOESN'T work with fire. it uses HEAT only. the "light then blow out" is to heat up the wick. do refer to the link for more info lah.

ssl

Hi Angelia

i have more faith in Jessica (who is an certified aromatherapist) than those salesperson. I've been mixing my oils cos i like them all!

usually i will mix among lavender, grapefruit, eucalyptus, lemon.

Hi Lynn

I sms her last night but she didnt reply leh
??? If her shop close on wed, then i may pop down earlier cos her shop will be close for quite long right??

ssl

haha

lynn. jessica ust replied my sms. told me she will leave only next week. u want to pop by her place and have dinner and proceed to lib at 7pm on wed??

lynn

Hi Angelia,

Me too, I am quite unhappy to know that their people their don't know a single thing about aromatherapy. They don't even know where did their essential oil come from, let alone on the usage.. I asked them whether they do sell electric vaporiser, they told me they never heard of such a product and while talking to them, I saw one sitting on the shelf behind them, selling at $69 each. Tsk tsk.. this type of service..

Wonder why did Scent shop hire people that are not interested in the products they are selling..

cynthia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for the information on using essential oil during pregnancy. That's useful.

Just remembered Jessica was recommending this massage oil for pregnancy the other day when me and Lynn went to her shop. She says to massge the abdominal area with the massage oil during the course of the pregnancy, stretch marks will be minimal (or was it completely no stretch marks? Lynn, can confirm?) Anyway, Jessica was saying that her sister swears by that.

The eucaplytus u bought is essential oil? Smells like "tiger balm"? Hahaha... the incense doesn't smell like that leh...

happy.gif
cynthia

cynthia

Hi Lynn,

The sweet almond oil that you bought is for mixing to become massage oil, is it? btw, any of us who wants to change job can go work in Scent Shop liao... hee hee...

happy.gif
cynthia

angelia

<FONT COLOR="aa00aa">cynthia</FONT>

yup, the one i bought is essential oil. but i think got a bit of effect leh. last nite i put a couple of drops on a tissue paper and place it on the table next to my bed, this morning, my nose not block or running.... will try again today, and see if results is consistent..

ya lor, i think any of us here also got better knowledge than those few salespersons....

lynn

Hi Cynthia,

If any massage oil can get rid of stretch marks completely, then you will see a long queue of men queuing for it.. I think it will help to reduce the stretch marks.

The almond oil is to do foot and body massage for my FH. I wanted to do it during the weekend but at Friday nite, I had a drop too much so postponed... heheheh

Hi SSL,

Okie, shall meet Jess cos I am getting jojoba and apricot kernel oil from Jess must SMS on the meeting time again hor..

ssl

Hi cynthia

jess told me the reason for the diff smells coming from oil and incense of eucalyptus cos incense is mix with the powder to make the stick and oil is pure. so diff scent.

Hi Lynn

Already told Jess that we will be "attacking" her salon on Wed before we go to lib at 7. I meet u at 6 at Jess place lah. then we can eat upstairs. (yum yum) But have to be fast cos we still gota walk to lib which is at TAKA and catch a GOOD SEAT before no more seat.

So write a list of what u want to buy and we attack her. heehee. i probably get the rosemary if i can take the smell. will read thru my notes tonight to see what else i can buy if rosemary too strong. hoho

cynthia

Hi Sushi,

Just want to say THANK U for your actual day programme. It's really useful, especially now when we are sorting out the timings for the actual day.

happy.gif
cynthia

cynthia

sorry girls regarding the side-tracking in my previous posting...

SSL, I can smell something already. I added about 10 drops of grapefruit EO into the diffuser this morning. Now, it looked soaked - the colour has darkened, though the smell is not very consistent. Perhaps it's the aircon? Sometimes have, sometimes don't.

Now, I am thinking of getting lemon from Daphne. the Dr B.... brand. can't remember what is it =P anyone know how much is Daphne selling her EOs?

4419.gif
cynthia

cynthia

Hey, found this interesting info in Essential Wholesale

Essential Oils in the Work Place

enselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York has found that people in pleasantly scented rooms carryout their work with more confidence, more efficiency and greater willingness to resolve work place conflict.

The Japanese have been using Essential oils in the work place for years. Construction companies employ special engineers to incorporate Aromatherapy into their new buildings.

At one Japanese bank, Lavender and Rosemary are used in the customer area to relax and sedate while the worker areas are infused with lemon and eucalyptus to keep workers alert. When lavender is infused into the air, keyboard-punching errors fell by 20%, 33% with Jasmine and 54% with Lemon.

Calculus students were proven to increase their speed of learning by 230% with aromatherapy.

Lavender and Rose combined creates calming, stress-relieving and reduces blood pressure. After lunch, Lemon and Jasmine are used to refresh and revitalize. Peppermint is dispersed into offices and conference rooms to increase work efficiency, dispel drowsiness and lessen mental fatigue. Lavender helps establish a positive mood.

The Tokyo stock exchange has peppermint diffused into the atmosphere every afternoon to make brokers feel invigorated and refreshed.

Many workers have clocks that diffuse eucalyptus and pine before the alarm goes off.

Businesses that have invested in Aromatherapy for their workers have seen a major change in attitude.

The Heath Promotion Research trust has found that 80% of workers report feeling unwell because of their working environment.

People who work in offices have 2x as many colds, coughs, and sore throats. Essential oils combat bacteria and viruses. Employers that invest in aromatherapy units find that they pay for themselves within the first week.

Occupational stresses weaken the immune system. Essential Oils in Retail Nike shoes were used to test if aromatherapy could be used to increase sales. Subjects were either in an unscented room or in one with a light floral aroma. Some 84% of the people in the aroma room were willing to purchase and they were willing to pay an average of $10.33 more for the same item. Proof that aromatherapy has an effect on impulse decision making.

Gambling machines with Aromatherapy increases sales by 45%.

lynn

Hi Sushi,

Got it, 1 Aztec for you. I will be placing orders soon.

Hi SSL,

Thanks for confirming with Jess.. I will go home and see what else I will to attack... hehehe. I may be ordering through the website for some other esential oils at Camden Gray. Wondering if anybody might be interested..

ssl

Hi cynthia

I bought lemon from jess. it's simply nature brand cost $12.50 (before dist)

Great!! if u put lemon, can smell faster cos it's citrus and smells stronger.
happy.gif
enjoy!

sushi

Hello Cynthia,

No worries! Am glad that it's of use to you.. Heehee, I almost forgot that I gave my wedding day programme to some of you, maybe that's how we started "talking" huh? Feel free to ask me any questions relating to wedding preparations. Will help wherever possible.

OH yes, I think over the weekends, you asked me how I use the lavender and teatree oil hor? Paiseh, I always forget to reply after reading through everyone else's contributions.

Ok, for zits, I only dot onto them and massage gently into the area. The same goes for lavender oil on the scar area.

Very sad, I got this huge pimple on the area between my brows area. Don't know why the zits like this spot so much!!

Sushi

cool

Hi Lynn,

sorry hor. Me mia over the weekend. Okay I'm fine with the price. I'm still sticking to the french lilac one. Thanks alot for your help.

Sushi,

that body shop lavender shower gel actually belong to my sis. steal some to use when she's not around. Haha! Now thinking of getting one for my new home. hehe!

cynthia

SSL, got a question for you.

If I buy another essential oil, say Lemon... Do I need to buy another diffuser? If I use the existing one (which already infused with Grapefruit), what will the scent be? Is it good to mix Lemon and Grapefruit?

Thanks.

sapphire

Hi gals,

Thanks for all the links &amp; information provided on my "pregnancy &amp; aromatheraphy" question...have learn alot....
happy.gif
Didn't know there's so much on aroma thingy...need some time to digest all the information...

lynn

Hi Trihok,

You are still in time, lucky you, I had wanted to place my order but I dropped by to check whether any of them change their mind on the colours... Which one do you want ??

ssl

hi cynthia

U do not need to buy another diffuser. For me, i add all types of oil in it. sure, grapefruit and lemon will be fine. probably u will smell lemon more cos scent stronger.

Unless u want diff scent at diff location, then u buy another diffuser. You just wait for no more grapefruit scent to come from the diffuser before adding in your lemon one.

lynn

Hi Trihok,

My name not big, but I am big... you can ask the rest of the girls....

Hi SSL, Sushi, Cynthia, Cool and Trihok,

I will pay through credit first and make a posting here once I receive the goods, then we will arrange to meet at a place... Is this okie with you gals ???

angelia

pai-seh, i side-track a bit. what is "glycerin soap" huh? izzit normal soap?

cynthia

Hi Angelia,

Here are what I have gathered so far about glycerin soap.

Glycerin(e): according to the dictionary... is a colourless sweet liquid with wide application in chemistry and industry.

Then, what is glycerin soap? A soap lah... with glycerin in it... hee hee...
True glycerin is a naturally occurring byproduct of the handmade soapmaking process. It is excellent for your skin as it attracts and holds moisture to your skin. As a natural humectant (a substance added to another to make it moist), glycerin attracts moisture to the skin.

As far as I can find, glycerin soap can be handmade or commercially made. They are supposed to be better than normal soap (which can be quite harsh to our skin, and that's the reason why it is not encouraged for washing faces, even for men). Think most of them are transparent (can see through), may have essential oils added into them (e.g. a lavender scented bath soap) and can be easily made at home. There's a lot of glycerin soap recipes in the Internet.

Are you thinking of making them as wedding favours for your guests? Then you can add your favourite essential oil fragrance into it too...

happy.gif
cynthia

J

jessica choo

Hi SSL

Sorry, didn't log in for a while...Hope u n lynn enjoyed the talk at the library.

Regards to u blending an aroma spritz, yes u can use a plastic bottle but a glass bottle will be much preferred. Only use distilled water, not our tap water. By the way, do u know the % to blend? Just a simple guide-line to follow, always divide by 2. That means, if u r putting essential oils into a 100ml bottle, then u need 50 drops of essential oils. Blended oils, whether with distilled water, base oils or other pure essential oils will have shorter life span. Allow an average of 6 months, maximum 1 year to finish the bottle. So always blend oils in smaller bottles.

If u r interested to have a DIY kit, I can supply u a measuring cup, 10ml, 20ml, 50ml or 100ml bottles, either with caps or spray if u wish. I can't remember the prices but if u sms me tomoro what u need, i will advise.

Remember, when blending the oils, your mood, where u r blending matters as we believe that aromatherapy affects our mind, body and soul.

Happy blending...

Cheers!

Jessica Choo
Beauty Inspirations

FYI, my salon will be closed for renovations from 16April to 29April. Business as usual from 01st May onwards. I should be coming back from Paris and London with lots of new aroma-related products...Watch for my postings...

ssl

Hi Jess

Whow, so late u still on line!!

Thks for your reply.
happy.gif

didnt know i have to use distilled water (heng havent mix yet). otherwise will waste my ess oils. ok will follow ur blending formula.

great! will sms u about the DIY kits. yes yes.

hope my spritz mixing will be successful.

angelia

thanks!! yup, thinking if can't find "cheap &amp; nice" favors then maybe DIY. but think candles will be easier to do than soap, izzit?

cynthia

Hi SSL, what's the aroma spritz for?

Hi Angelia, actually candle and soap making are almost similar, rite? Just melt and pour into the molds. For candle, u still have to think about the wick, but soap no need...

Anyway, Spotlight do sells those DIY kits, so does Art Friend in Bras Brasah. Can add whatever fragrance you like into them, even little shells for decorations...

happy.gif
cynthia

ssl

Hi cynthia

aroma spritz is to add ess oil into distilled water and to spray into the air. certain oil combination is good for certain prevention. eg. u add diff oils into distilled water for diff purposes, like to "clean" the air, to prevent cockroaches or ants, etc. got what i mean?? heehee hope i have not confused u even more.

heh, u know how to make aroma soap?? i saw a plastic mould sheet with lots of teddy bear pixs at spotlight. i duno is it for making candle or soap (or maybe both also can).

can teach me? :p

cynthia

Hi SSL,

I know which mold you talking about. That time, my FH and I are still arguing whether it is for baking... hahaha...

Alamak... I also never make before leh... But we can all try together lah, from the recipes, looks quite simple
happy.gif

lynn

Hi Cynthia,

But some of the things like quite difficult to find.. anybody know where to find lye lso know as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide ?? Or does anybody know where to find a chemist in Singapore ?? Wonder whether those craft shop will sell this stuff ??

ssl

Hi lynn and cynthia

GOOD GOOD.
can try together and laugh together
heehee

what materials required har??
i stay near concourse if need materials from there, i can help to buy. cheaper.

can we discuss the soap making here?? would it be off track?? if not, we discuss via emails lah.

wha so excited, another new thing for me to experiment. hohoho (though cant eat lah)

ssl

wha so chim
will those chemicals explode our house??
kekeke (i'm a poor chemist)

i think craft houses liek spotlight or artfriend should be able to have such things right??

angelia

<FONT COLOR="aa00aa">hi</FONT>

wah, did noe so many interested!! ya, rite, maybe we can try together someday... then put a few drops of <FONT COLOR="ff6000">essential oil</FONT> and it'll become aroma-soap liao...
biggrin.gif

but i read from some websites, the soap making like very chim. candle easier, juz get ready made ones, cut to fit mould and put in mould, place in microwave oven to melt, and ok already!!

ssl

hi

so one more kar - angelia
wha must use microwave one ah
errr.......
hmmmmm.......
???????

my colleague was asking me can the soap be used?? heehee.

anyway, can someone give me the ingredients required and i will try to ask my friend who studied in NAFA before. maybe she will know where to get the materials cos more "arty farty" than us. heehee

angelia

extract from http://www.howfen.demon.co.uk/mpsoap/basics.html

<FONT COLOR="119911">This is the method that works best for me. Provided you understand what you are trying to achieve you can devise any method you like. Some people have success using a microwave oven on low power or even in a conventional oven on a very low setting. This is a new craft and there are no rules except the obvious safety rule about being careful with hot liquids and making sure that the base does not get too hot so that it spoils.

First cut the transparent glycerine soap base into small pieces so that it will melt easily.

You need to melt the base. Most people use the double boiler method but as I don't have a proper double boiler I use a Pyrex jug and a saucepan of water. The waterbath stops the soap from heating up unevenly. An inch or two of water goes into the saucepan.

Put the cut-up base in the jug, cover it with clingfilm or the lid of your double boiler, turn the heat on, let the water in the pan heat up until you see the beginnings of tiny bubbles on the base, turn the heat off and leave it alone for a quarter of an hour or so, longer for larger quantities. It helps to put a saucepan lid over it at this stage to conserve the heat.

<FONT COLOR="ff6000">A note on temperatures:</FONT> You are aiming to have the soapbase at between 120 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit (50 - 60 degrees Celsius). Much lower and it will not flow, very much higher and you run the risk of overheating spoiling the texture.
If it hasn't melted when you come back to it, heat the pan again for a few minutes. Stirring very gently is allowed, but not too vigorously or you will get froth.

As the base is melting, measure out any pigments you are going to use. For this soap I wanted some pearlescent green powder and a tiny touch of chromium green oxide. Pour a small quantity of the liquid base over the pigments in a little dish or cup and this time you are allowed to stir vigorously. The base will cool rapidly and you want to incorporate the powdery pigments as well as you can. Pour or spoon the bit of coloured base back into the jug, replace its clingfilm lid and leave it to melt and incorporate as before. You can stir it gently to incorporate.

Just before you are ready to pour add any fragrance you are using and combine it well. The base will be liquid now and you will be able to incorporate the fragrance easily. It is important that you do not have pockets of fragrance or essential oils. Pour into the soap mould and let the soap set up. Depending on the size and shape this will take between half an hour and several hours. It helps to put the soap in the fridge overnight. I cover it with clingfilm once it has cooled so that the moisture will not be drawn out of it. Never put it in the freezer for more than a few minutes as freezing will change its consistency.

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Tip:</FONT> To unmould, invert the mould straight from the fridge and leave it upside down for half an hour. In theory the slight amount of condensation that forms between the soap and the mould should make the soap drop out. I find that this works better with some moulds than others. If this does not produce a result I run the back of the mould quickly under a very hot tap which usually does the trick. Failing that, brute force, starting with a sharp tap, graduating to banging the mould on the kitchen counter and working up to sharp implements, whilst not recommended, can be effective and rather therapeutic.

It is a very good idea to shrinkwrap the soap or pack it away in an airtight container if you are not going to use it immediately. You can do an effective job of shrinkwrapping using plastic kitchen wrap and a heat gun or even a hairdryer.
Very important: This soap has a high glycerine content and glycerine is a humectant. In humid atmospheres it will attract water and develop beads. If the surrounding atmosphere is dry the soap will dry out and become dull-looking. When in use it keeps its condition beautifully but it does not behave like the commercial soaps that you may be used to. Never leave it to dry out and become harder as you might with a commercial soap but keep it either in use or wrapped up.</FONT>

there are a few more, maybe i'll post them later, k?!

angelia

extract from http://www.soapcrafters.com/lavendersoaprecipe.htm

<FONT COLOR="aa00aa">Pam's Lavender Soap Recipe</FONT>
<FONT COLOR="119911">
Yield: 5-1/2 Pounds, 30 Bars

What you need:
1 pound Lard
2 Pounds Palm Oil (RBD)
10 ounces Palm Kernel Oil
23 ounces Cold Water
8 ounces Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
1 ounce Soap Crafters Lavender Fragrance
1/4 scoop (the 1cc scoop) of violet colorant powder

Molds:
Three 2-Pound Tray Molds
One Sheet of 3 soaps Mold
These instructions are intended for someone who already knows good soap safety

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">Let's Make Soap!</FONT>

Weigh Lye in plastic container. Weigh COLD water in large plastic pitcher. (Rubbermaid pitcher is good.)

Slowly pour lye into the water. Stir well. Set aside to cool for about 1 hour. Room Temperature lye solution is best.

Weight fats and then put them in a stainless steel pot. Let the fat temperature get to 120-130 degrees F.

When Fats are at the right temperature, slowly pour the room temperature lye solution into the fats. Hand Stir, then use a Braun Hand Blender to mix for a minute, then hand stir for a minute, off and on like that for about 5 to 10 minutes. You will see the soap coming out of the hand blender is the same shade as the soap going into the hand blender. This means you've stirred enough.

Hand stir in the Lavender Fragrance, then pour all of your molds 2/3rds full.

Put the colorant into the soap that is left in the pot. Mix with the Hand blender for about 1 minute to blend it in well.

Drizzle the violet soap over your soap in your molds. With your spoon, drag it through the soaps and that will swirl it in.

Put molds aside in a warm room for 24 hours. Then flip the molds over, remove the soaps and let air dry for 4-6 weeks. You can use the soap after 24 hours, but it will be a much better bar after complete curing.

<FONT COLOR="ff0000">NOTE:</FONT> You will notice that the violet colorant will turn a dark blue color at first. Then after a day it'll turn a powder blue. After a few days of curing, it will become its beautiful violet color. So don't panic when you see this happen.
</FONT>