ACCOMODATION:TOKYO & OSAKA

tsubame

Hi Haru,

For a value budget hotel, I recommend Namba Plaza Hotel (http://www.nambaplaza-hotel.jp/). I booked thru Rakuten (http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=5510&f_ptn1=)

It is ideally located in Namba Shopping Area, near Dotombori, and right beside the Kuromon Market. But staffs there can't really speak English though. And not recommended if you are claustrophobic, though that applies to most Japan Hotels...

Room is really small, hardly space to move with luggage open on floor. But clean and have the neccessities. And nothing beats the location!

haru

hi Cat,
thanks!i couldnt really see any pix of the rooms. in fact, i have done much research on osaka..so i have no idea on e central or idea places to stay. i can manage some jap, so its ok if they can't really speak english (it wil just take longer!hahaha)

tsubame

Hi Haru, rooms pics not accurate lah. When I was there last year July, they were refurbishing. Staff really friendly, so just bit of broken Japanese and hand gestures shouldn't be a problem. While cramped, as said I love the location, and the hotel is clean (most impt).

Namba is a really ideal place to stay. Lotsa street shopping and eating that appeal to us, rather than the departmental type. As mentioned, it's a shopping district by itself and right by Dotombori. There's a hotel in Dotombori that I shortlisted, http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=1253&f_ptn1=. Good reviews for that hotel, just slightly more expensive.

From Namba, you can walk to Shinsaibashi, American Town as the shopping arcades are all linked. Opposite direction will get you to Den Den Town (Osaka equivalent of Akibahara), and can walk to Festival Gate and even Tennoji if you are up to it. We did. Just get a good walking map.

Transportation wise, Namba is a huge interchange with most train and subway line running thru' it. You can get directly to airport and Kyoto from the stations there. You need to do homework to figure out which line goes where though.

Personally, find Osaka and Kyoto F&E to require more work due to their many train lines. Especially since the stations are most called the same name. We took a wrong line in Kyoto and end up dunno where although the station name is the same. A good map with train and subway lines is very essential for Kyoto and Osaka.

haru

hi Cat,
street eating is great! hubby and i love that! thanks so much for the info, will def check it out. like you said tho, clean rooms are def the most impt. dun really care bout e size as we are there only for a nights' rest. =P

can i just find out how many days in spent in Osaka? hubby and i are not really into visiting the temples n shrines.. and we will prob be coming in from sapporo before heading back to spore.

s__h

New hotel added to this Accor hotel membership in Tokyo, Ginza Japan : Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier (Novotel Associate)

However, cannot use complimentary voucher to stay but can use the membership to stay at member price. of abt S$200 or 15,000 yen onwards.

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier is your gateway to Japan’s financial centre.

Leisure and business travelers can indulge in the suave shopping of Chuo dori, Namiki-dori’s art galleries and the Tsukiji Fish Market.

Acclaimed for its sophistication and comfort, the 361 rooms hotel offers amazing skyrise accommodation.

Address is Ginza Chuo-ku, , Tokyo, Japan.

fifi42

Hi all... anyone can advice in Shinjuku area, how is the hotel feedback for Shinjuku Listel and Shinjuku New City hotels?

alone

I stayed at Kobe - Sannomiya: Toyoko Inn and find the svc not bad. There are toiletries, socks, yukata and free breakfast. The price is reasonable too.

fifi42

tts pretty far from TokyO right? Well, I managed to confirm a room at Shinjuku New City in the end... =) I'm just glad I got the room settled.

joyous97

Hi All

I intend to go free and easy to tokyo on 20 nov and found out that its a peak period....Anyone can advise me where to stay in shinjuku, as in moderate price hotel. I try to book washington but its full...now me so worried and stress....

Will be travelling with two kids...anyone can advice any other hotel in shinjuku area that is conveneient....

Anyone has idea is asasuku centally located and is easy access via JR?Thanks

joyous97

Hi Rara
My budget is about 150 dollars. I think in Nov, there is a race going on, peak period and thus most of the hotels are full or price has been inflated.

Room size, I need a double bed. Thanks

Do you think hotel in narita is very inconvenient?thanks

fifi42

Hi Joyous,
is this your first trip? I've not heard of Asasuku, do you mean Asakusa or Akasaka?

Narita hotels are pretty far. If you plan to take the subway, following is a very good website you can refer to for travelling time...
http://www.tokyo-subway.net/english/

Let me know if you need the subway map and I can share with you the link too...

For hotels, you can try booking via asiarooms.com. They have the best rates around, but because of this, their rooms run out very fast. The rooms I wanted for Feb'08 are all fully booked at Shinjuku area.

I called Shinjuku New City hotel directly and managed to get a better rate thru direct bookings compared to all the online hotel bookings (other hotels are much expensive if you call directly). Following is their website. I find this hotel pretty good for its price and location.

http://www.newcityhotel.co.jp/eng/index.html

You can go to ASIAROOMS.com for review of this hotel - I was quite comfortable after reading the reviews...
http://www.asiarooms.com/japan/tokyo/shinjuku_new_city.html

Hope this helps... let me know if you need more infos... =)

fifi42

Oh btw, I think its very slim to get a hotel within your budget of S$150. You might be able to get it at Vintage Shinjuku Hotel (a very convenient hotel as well), but its always full.

Probably work between 150 - 190, you might get more options. =p

joyous97

Hi Jaz

Thanks for infO.Think this period, as in nov, even simple hotel also charged like almost 200 dollars.

Appreciate it if you can forward the subway map to me ...thanks.

fifi42

hi joyous...
frankly, I've not been to Japan yet. I only did LOADS of research.. haha..... Narita is very near disneyland. But the distance from Shinjuku should be further. However, considering the trains you need to switch, it might end up the same in terms of travelling time.

You want to send me your e-mail address so I can mail you the map instead? Better for you to see it.

Also, you can try the link I gave you earlier to find out the distance...
http://www.tokyo-subway.net/english/

rara

Joyous, I always recommend this hotel for people who want to stay in the Shinjuku area.

Kadoya Hotel
http://kadoya-hotel.co.jp/e_index.html

Its location is really central and and convenient, but that is if you don't mind the relatively small size of the room (it's more like a business hotel). However, it is fully booked on 23/24 Nov (it happens to be a public holiday in Japan on the 23rd).

For Disneyland, you can take the JR highway bus that goes direct to Disneysea/Disneyland at 800yen/way. The journey is about 50min but traffic jams are not uncommon due to the crowd at the resort. I'm not sure if this is more expensive than taking the trains, but you definitely save on the hassle of changing trains, especially since you're travelling with 2 kids. The JR bus terminal is located at the New South Exit of the Shinjuku JR Station.

As for Asakusa, it is not accessible by JR. You can take the subway from Tochomae station or Shinjuku station on the Oedo Line if you are staying in the Shinjuku area, then change to the Asakusa Line at Kuramae station, which is just one stop away from Asakusa.

Perhaps you can indicate the places you wish to visit so that forumers can provide more options on accomodation.

fifi42

Hi Rara,
they only have 13rooms? It looks like a very nice hotel...

Have you came across SHinjuku new city? Do you have any comments for this hotel? Cos I booked that for next Feb travel...

rara

Hi Jaz,

I've not heard of New City, but it is indeed cheap for a hotel in Shinjuku looking at the website you posted.

From the map, Kadoya (on the extreme right of the map indicated by a "H" in the middle of 2 traffic signals) is about midway between Shinjuku station and New City.

Although it is located further from Shinjuku station itself, New City provides shuttle services between the hotel and Shinjuku station which will be very convenient, except that the last bus back to the hotel is at 9.30pm, which is kinda early in my opinion.

joyous97

Hi Rara

Thanks...

I try to book kadoya and its full.

Do you know what is the inconveneience if we stay near to airport like narita port hotel?I am able to find room there....

Purpose of the trip

I just want to have a very relax and easy trip in tokyo, no need to cover lots of areas, as can always go again next year....My main purpose in going japan is to give my two year old son and eight year old gal a good exposure as in how a holiday is like, and going to disneyland...other thing, like rushing to all the big mall is really minor....

Thanks again....

rara

Hi Joyous,

Narita is totally out of the way from Tokyo itself. Direct transport to Disney Resort may be available, but that is probably the only 'convenience' about staying there. You have to change trains a couple of times, if not thrice, to get to Tokyo downtown. Else, it's 3000yen per way by bus. I would only consider Narita as an option if I were stopping over at the airport or if visiting Disney Resort was my sole purpose.

Another option is to book Kadoya on whichever days it is available, and book a nearby but more expensive hotel in Shinjuku on Friday and Saturday. Alternatively, if your budget allows, you can book the hotels around Disney Resort. Be warned that Disney Resort gets incredibly crowded during the weekends though.

Have you tried the hotel that Jaz recommended?

Otherwise, I guess you will have to look at hotels away from Shinjuku, preferably near to a JR station along the Yamanote Line. But this may mean more transfers on trains with your children to your destinations. If you can do with a bit more budget, the bigger hotels usually provide shuttle services to Disney Resort.

With such a short time from your trip, it's better if you decide and book your hotels fast. It's a tradeoff between convenience and price, but with 2 kids in tow, I would still recommend a hotel in a convenient location.

fifi42

Hi RaRa...
thanks for the advice! I feel much better hearing ur comments. Yar, felt the same abt the shuttle service ending early... but tot if its winter during that period, I should not have a problem taking a nice stroll back to the hotel if I am late...

what do you think?

ALso, everyone says that taking cab in Japan is VV expensive. Is that true? How expensive are we looking at compared to singapore?

s__h

taxi from airport to town can easily be S$50 onwards...

every seconds the meter will jump 10 yen = S$0.13

joyous97

Hi rara

Am actually touching down tokyo on 20 early morning and stay in narita port hotel. I thought of on 21, bring two kids to disneyland, which is a tuesday....For the next few days, as from wed to sunday, not sure what to do...

Do you think its good to move to another hotel on wed itself to somewhere near shunjuku...or what should be the right move be...I understand in tokyo , there is a long weekend, which means everywhere will be crowded....

Thanks for your advice...good day.

pinkhippo2002

In Tokyo, we stayed in 'Sansuiso' in Gotanda. 9000 Yen per room per night. 5 min walk from Shinagawa station. It's a traditional Japanese Inn where we rolled out the mattress & slept on the floor like Japanese.

We also ventured slightly out of Tokyo to Hakone, at Fuji-hakone National park. TCS filmed one of their dramas at Hakone. Stayed 2 night at 'Fuji-Hakone guest house', comes with hot spring, also Japanese style accomodation. 12,000 Yen per room per night

We chose this type of traditional Japanese accomodation throughout our entire trip so as to experience real Japanese style

rara

Joyous,

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html

By the way, I feel that if you want to really explore and enjoy Tokyo Disney Resort (TDR - Disneyland & Disneysea), one day will not be enough. DL is huge and will take about a day. DS is smaller but it's not advisable to try to squeeze both in a day.

As for staying at Narita, here's some math for you.

<u>Bus from Narita to TDR</u>
Time: 60min
Adults: ¥2400 One-Way
Children: ¥1200 One-Way

<u>Bus from Shinjuku to TDR</u>
Time: 60min
Adults: ¥800 One-Way
Children: ¥400 One-Way

Assuming just you and your 2 children are going on the trip,
Total cost from Narita<->TDR = ¥9600
Total cost from Shinjuku<->TDR = ¥3200

You might as well spend the amount you can save on transport to TDR on a better hotel in Shinjuku!

If you're going to change hotels on Wednesday anyway, you will incur the cost to travel from Narita to Tokyo downtown after all.

Jaz, the flagdown for cabs in Tokyo is about $8 and jumps at a freaking $1 every half a minute.

joyous97

Hi Rara

Thanks for the tips and advice....

Think I cannot change hotel already as most hotel that I have seen is so expensive in shinjuku area or its already fully booked.

The current hotel that I booked, think its a three star hotel, managed to get at a rate of 5500 yen per day.

Think we may just spend two days walking around disney area, the rest easy shopping and that it is, really cannot be too adventurous with a cranky two year old kid.

Think hotel provide free shuttle but to the train station and shopping area that is nearby like aeon daily....

fifi42

Hi Rara,
wow... tts off the list to take cab there. Guess it was a good choice to pick Shinjuku, at least its still 'walkable distance' from most shopping district if we are late (I understand their train service is till only 9pm?)... =p

rara

Hi Jaz,

What do you mean their train service is only till 9pm? As far as I know, the platforms at JR Shinjuku station are swarmed with people whether it is 5am in the morning or past midnight. The subway lines operate roughly the same hours too, so there is really no need to worry about not getting on a train unless you wanna hang out till way late.

fifi42

Hi RaRa,
I tot I read it somewhere.. I forgotten where. But hearing you say it operates till late makes me feel at ease... =)

Thanks!

sereneli

Hi,

It will be my first time to Tokyo next Mar'08.

Any comments about Sunshine City Prince Hotel? I managed to get a 3D2N f&amp;e package with this hotel. Thereafter, am planning to visit Osaka &amp; Kyoto for andother 3D2N before going back to Tokyo for 2 more nights since will be flying back from Narita.

Any hotels recommendation for Osaka &amp; Kyoto? And also hotels in Tokyo for the last 2 nights?

Thanks!

joyous97

Hi all

Can I check with you it is true that we can purchase cheaper disneyland entry ticket at the agency in tokyo?anyone can share experience ?thanks

s__h

sorry...I do not know what sort of shops or the location of the shops that sell cheaper tickets...

i just pass by b4 and the shop is like mama shops, sell cheaper calling cards too

fifi42

Hi Joyous,
if you found out informatio on the shop, can share with me? Cos I'd be going in Feb and not heard of this before... =)

guekchuen83

Hi,

i just went back from Osaka/Kyoto &amp; Nara. We having our F&amp;E trip. We stay at sheraton miyako hotel. The location is very good. The subway just at the ground floor of the hotel. from there you can take train to kyoto &amp; Nara.
Beside that, there is direct bus from hotel to kansai Airport.

Another hotel will be trusty hotel...is very near to shinsaibashi (shopping area).

s__h

have you check out the F&amp;E on the newspaper ?

depends on what you want to see / do...

1 day for tokyo disneyland, 1 day for the sea...

1 day to see mount fuji and its nearby area

1 day to do shopping ??

sereneli

Hi Yingsan,

I bought my tickets with SA tour on DBS credit card promo. 1 for 1 @ $1188 for 3D2N on ANA flight, staying at Sunshine City Prince. I am doinig an extension on my own for another 5D4N at my own expenses as I want to visit Osaka as well. Depends on what you want, the room rates that I am looking at avg about $150 to $200 per night.

Hope the above helps.
happy.gif

yingsan

hi serene

thanks for ur info.. too bad the DBS promo ends liao.. u been to japan before? me 1st time and dunno where to do research.. and i dun wanna join tour. my budget for room is also between $150 - $200..

yingsan

btw, may i know wat is the season in feb? we are planning end of feb.. is it still winter? thought of going ski resort too.. hehe

sereneli

hi yingsan,

nope, my march08 trip is my first to Japan
happy.gif
Doing free &amp; easy and doing a lot of research as well as bought the membership which S&amp;H recommended to save on accommodation in Japan
happy.gif

I think Feb is still winter in Japan, so ski resort shouldn't be a prob.

yingsan

hi serene

tks for ur reply.. i guess i hv to start researching now.. tiking of gog for honeymoon as well as celebrate my bday there.. hehe so excited..