(2003) Brides of year 2003

may

Shook: my furniture will be coming in this friday. So it will be a busy weekend for me and hubby to mop and clean house. Not too sure when we are moving in to the new house as still got some stuff outstanding. My glass doors are not in yet and some touch up and repair works to be done by contractor. So i guess i no need to do the moving in ritual yet, right? Alto i may sleep over the new hse this weekend.

Did you do anything abt your bed? Some say cant sleep till wedding day. Some day must get a male child to roll over your bed. I am definitely sleeping on my bed, will try to get a baby boy to roll around.

Maya: Mayer warehse sale over the weekend. Did u go? I went for JL sale, quite good. Have not gone for Tangs yet. Went to lifestorey warehse sale yesterday. Quite disappting. Only managed to get 4 serving plates the shape of a kidney. Quite nice piece for serving food.

Pausini: sew yr own bedsheets. Why not. But i think it is cheaper to just buy off the rack. U can sew? I cant. Never learnt before.

leo29

Akira,

Hah…., so fast ask about helper ang bao already? You make me feel next mth is nov lei. Just joking! Have to check with my hb becos he expert lah! Base on my past experience, it’s $12 from the couple. Driver get more to cover their petrol. Too less???? Don’t forget, Ah yee still got open door ang bao and all helper will get ang bao from both side parent. Some parent give $8.

Twinklets,

$20 ok lah. My frd lagi worse(See above). Will keep you inform when I locate any 4” shoe. You must also let me know if you came across, ok.

Your tables calculation is correct.

Amore and Akira,

So envy…… that you can keep the ang bao. I don’t think my mum will have that concept becos I’m their first daughter and I’m the one giving them the most for monthly allowance. With me marry out, their allowance will be lesser. Maybe my youngest sister will have this benefit if she marry out.

N

nov groom

Meow,
I have reply your mail already, did you get it?

How come most of the parents have so little friends? For my case, I think me and my bride only have about 3 to 4 tables. The rest we will be relatives and parents friends. I think all the angbaos will be use for the banquet, both of our parents are not thinking of keeping.
happy.gif

I heard buying shoes during Chinese New Year seasons is bad.

amore

leo.. my mum quite modern and chin chai lah... coz me only dotti... i oni have brothers.. so by right shld demend more...hehe actually me better than my elder bro lah... my elder bro just ROM and that's it.. no customary... my mum oso ok.. and he is the eldest son somemore...

and like akira... after i married I'll still continue to give her "jia yong" oso...

akira

just wondering.. do we need to prepare the ang baos tat both side parents are giving to our frens?? tats something which I have yet to budget for. I was also thinking around $28 but worried it would be too little.. drivers around $60 cos they gotta use own car and petrol and of cos MC and chief co-ordinator also more.

wow the banquet divisions sound complicated. I always just assumed tat since we are paying for everything, we would just collect all the ang baos. hubby and myself share joint account so all the expenses are shared (other than the ring he gave me). Looks like now gotta set aside even more $$ just in case...

pausini

my sister went to the Meyer sale yesterday but she told me nothing much. I didnt do anything to the bed too. we just sleep. My mum say it is ok. MIL say ok also. Just before wedding, my FH grandmum will come and place the bed for us as a blessing. Dunk now need to get a little boy to roll on the bed or not.

May: I got nothing better to do lor! wedding pre is very relax for me leh. Althot i havent done most of the stuffs but i wasnt anxious or stressful abt it. unless my friends they get so stressful. Actually what is there to stress of? Only my dad wld stress me, i still dun know shld i invite him! My mum got a sewing machine but quite difficult to sew with it. I wasnt good in sewing but just to do something especial for the wedding. I guessed if i am really doing a bedsheet for the wedding. it will still end up my mum sewing it for me. i think i better reconsider.

vio

hi fishball,

the wedding planner fair @ taka - it's wedding fair like wat they had in suntec w bridal boutiques selling pckg. we don't need liao wat.... i din go aft heard my frez described 2 me ;p

akira

leo, ha ha I KS must budget first mah..now Feb so still got 8 more months or so to save.. was slacking on savings already :p

btw how many ang baos do we need to prepare all together? I mean I always tot the extortion ang bao is the same as the ang bao we give ah yees (as in total amt divided by the no. of ah yees). then brothers will be given ang baos separately. sorry,v blur cos my close frens not married so no chance to be ah yee yet.

rinoa

Hi naturally

oh...that gown was by Vera???
then that will be too ex for me....heard her gowns are in the range of 20k and above....goodness..

Mrs quake : i am also with UOB, as in working there...u???

yve

novgroom,
bad luck to buy shoes during new year?? i only heard from FMIL that we should not go furniture shopping during qing ming (March).. cannot even go and look.. find it so funny..

amore

akira.. the ang bao given by the bride & groom is diff from the extortion $$... hehe so ah yees actually get more...

Ang Bao for
1. Ah Yees & Xiong Di
2. Helpers (Usher/recep)
3. Younger bro/sis during tea ceremony (dunno cousins need anot)
4. Driver (Bridal car)
5. Make-up/stylist
6. Boi who open bridal door
7. MC
8. OIC
9. Flower boi/gal
10. Photographer/Videographer
11. Banquet Mgr, Hotel coordinator (I think this optional)

these are the few I can think of

meow

Leo29,
I dun think its a great idea to pay directly to your parents. You lugi even more. Imagine, some of my relatives and my dad's friend paid only $40 per pax or $60 for family for dinner in restaurants?

Are,
think i understand liao.
happy.gif

Yve,
you are fast in getting your things done. I'm still doing other stuffs. Was considering not to buy a new pair but wear the same one as my ROM. Possible?

Akira,
I must say your have great parents. My dad will sure keep the angbao and not share with my mum.

Amore,
Same same, i also pay half half for alot of things. Our wedding package, photography, wedding dinner.40% from me for house, reno and furniture. Think i'm going bankrupt very soon.
sad.gif

I simply hate my dad for asking my cousins. Imaging my cousins age is 40+ age and they bring their children along. Think i'm going to faint and go crazy.

Novgroom,
i've seen your mail in the afternoon. But the system was crawling with the heavy crowd so will reply later.

Think my friends tables should be more than my relatives. Think i have about 10-12tables for my friends and 10-11 for relatives. Hope this will coverup the losses. I jus worry some friends they come they don't give angbaos but "useless" gifts. Believe collegues won't but friends.
sad.gif

One question which i dun quite understand. Do we still need to give big angbao since we already pay for driver and petrol in the bridal package. Thou i know it is a politeness.

To all,
can tell me your dialet group? In such a format:
Yours + groom/bride(for Novgroom)
And can i jus take your actual day photographer and not the PS?

akira

amore, thanks for enlightening me. lucky you clarified. else will be so embarrassed on tat day. :p

meow, I'm Hainanese, hubby Teochew. actual day photography -- Nick Goh

meow, I think for the rental car driver its the same concept as the make-up artist. if you plan to give one then its better to give the other.

leo29

Amore,
1st year go tour. Sure got ppl said you stingy don’t want to give ang bao. But hor…., if you willing to delay the honeymoon till around CNY time then no ppl will said lor. I heard next year CNY is in Jan.

I told my hb that 1st year can no need to give but kana shoot back by my hb saying "pls lah, avoid so long already still want to play cheat".
sad.gif
. I mean with our age.

Twinklets,

How many siblings your mum and dad have? 12 tables, alots lei. Just wonder did I calculate wrongly! My mum’s got 11 bros/sis and my dad got 6 bros/sis. Maybe more then 7 tables.

Nov groom,

Why CNY buying shoe is bad! I tot only CNY then ppl buy new shoe and dress?

Akira,

Both side parent ang bao is from our parents. $28 for ah yee, not little lah. $60 for driver is far far reasonable. Got shortage of ah yee or not? Can I be one of them? Your ang bao very big lei, hahaha……

leo29

Meow,

Just give a small ang bao make them happy lor! Anyway it's our big day. I seldom see ppl give gifts except for my SIL that held her wedding in the church.

Me=Hokkien, HB=Teochew. Actual day photograher : Alvin(Some frd recommend, no studio name)

K

kk

Hi Flowee jie,

Oh, i am not wearing my actual day gown for outdoor ps. I am wearing another OTR gown. So no worry about height lor :p And most likely i won't want to wear a long-train gown out for outdoor ps since it is not convenient and get dirty easily. I prefer A-line straight design for outdoor gown
happy.gif

OG Albert a lot lor. i found one silver heels very nice but the heels seem to be too sharp for me and i can't balance properly so i rather not take that.

shanice

hi all

i've been around this forum for some time, but never knew abt this thread! arghh! i'm also a June Bride! a very excited one!
happy.gif

Anyone ROMing on 12th june? its a thurs, but FMIL checked that it's an auspicious day for us..so bo bian lor hehe... my actual day is 22 june, sunday! not intending to have wedding dinner.... save money, anyway both sides dun mind not having... :p

have u gals met up b4? i bet it'll b interesting to meet up all the june brides... count me in if there's any outings ok? hmmm how come i seem so free? so far i've found my photographer (ben poon, a commerical photographer recommended by hilarion goh), make up artiste is Jeannie Yap, not yet booked ROM lunch.... 2nd mar (choosing gown n take measurements), 8th mar (studio PS), 17th & 18th mar going tioman for outdoor shoot, not yet printed invitation cards... parents meeting up this wednesday..... gosh, everything seems so packed... arghh..

do u gals get very anxious as the day drawing near? any fear or hesitations? i'm abit scared cos will b staying with in-laws.....

shanice
happy.gif

okeanosmao

hi meow,

saw yr msg wanted to add some infos rite?
i'm teochew gal, married to a hokkien hubby..
actual-not yet decide..
shortlisted - alan dai & yew kwang

kare2711

Pausini, since I am catching a few here and there, may I ask how goes your detox program for the day? Oh did you do your own detox program or do you use Biolight?

D

dk

i heard from ppl that parents get to keep the Ang Baos for the numbers for tables they ask for...it is only up to them if they decide not to keep it...

Anyone, know where i can get Kebaya in Malacca?

N

novgroom

Leo29,
It is bad luck to buy shoes during CNY, not before. :p I think in cantonese, shoes don't sound a good word, so is not good for the year.

Yve,
I think it is not only during Ching Ming cannot buy furniture, the seven month (zhong yuan) also no good to buy.

Me is a Hakka. My bride, I don't know. :p Photographer not yet selected, any good suggestion for me?

meow

Okean,
Long time didn't hear from you too. Where have you been?? We stay so near yet never meet before. *Sign*

Novgroom,
How come you dun know the dialet group of your wife?? You Hakka, not a very easy language. Do you know how to speak then? Understand not all knows how to. You check your mail ok?

D

dk

Are,
U are one lucky daugther for such parents so understanding...

For me & my FH, we are keeping our fingers cross lah...if the Angbaos are returned to us then we go for longer honeymoon...if not it still ok...
Me & FH both agree that for the tables we are giving for sides parents, they deserve the Ang baos...(we'll be gald to C every1 happy) we jus have to tighten our pocket on our expenses only...

Y

yi

hi flowee,

for a strappy silver shoe, think u shd be able to find at OG Albert wat coz i got mine there at only $31.90.
happy.gif

now the shoe is in my store room liao. hehehe
if u dun mind wearing a 2nd hand shoe, maybe you can borrow mine and see how coz i think our shoe size the same.
happy.gif

hi kk mei,

actually, ps with a gown with train is quite nice when laid out nicely, very sweet and elegant.
happy.gif

my WG train not very long so i worn it out for my whole day PS outdoor!
happy.gif

Y

yi

hi jan,

checked with hubby liao, the hotel we stayed at sydney is carlton and the one at gold coast is marriot!
happy.gif

btw, I'm trying to upload the rest of my wedding fotos on the internet and once complete, I shall let u all know!
happy.gif

serene

hello gals,

hi fishball: Dun worry..me won't be angry
happy.gif
Hehe...you also got goody goody wifey looks too
happy.gif

hm..not much choice cos I don't want to choose too dark color...scared it won't turn out nice.

Hmm..the National Museum exh sounds interesting..see whether have time to drop by one of these days..

Pretty quiet for a monday morning
happy.gif

rhs: How's your minor operation? hope you are receivering well, take care.

shook

Hihi Pausini
My hse is not completely done up yet. There r some outstanding carpentry work n kitchen shelving. I performed the shift-in ritual coz my mum said last sun is an auspicious date.
Wow, u r a gd wife xian qi liang mu, can cook, can sew.

Hihi May
Select an auspicious date to perform the shift-in ritual when u feel u r ready.
I din do anything to my bed (din even remove the plastic cover). I juz cover it wif a nice cover. U get a male child to roll over your bed when u r doing the an chuang ritual

priviledged

Hi Shanice, welcome to the June Brides thread. I think the latest update on the June brides so far goes like this :

Taddess(10/6) - Bridal Zone, Marina Mandarin, JW
Beibei( 7th June)- Bridal Zone, Marina Mandarin, Yew Tee
Priviledged (28/6) - Silhouette + Robin, Regent, Punggol 21
Trinity03 - Punggol 21
Pucca75 (10th June) - Focus Bridal, Yun Nan, Yew Tee
Astrud (14th June) - Kevin Seah, Hilton, Ang Mo Kio, ImageGarden and The Edge (actual day)
Abrinas (21st June)- Seletar Broadway, Club Chinois, Punggol
Joyful - (14th June) J&M, Hotel New Otani, Seng Kang
Totoro -(20 June) Rasa Sentosa
Beanie (29th June)- Kai, Shangri-la Sentosa, Utopia
Jes - (7&8 June)Marina Mandarin, Golden Horse award, Punngol 21
Pooh (15th June)- Universal Brida, Holiday Inn PV, Bukit Batok Central
Sweets - Conrad
Delannie - Jawn
Kiroro (6th June) - Silhouette (Bridal) + Am Amor Meus (for kebaya), Conrad, Linn Kong (Studio+ Actual)
Wabbit - J&M, Imperium, Sembawang
mmay (20th June) - The Fullerton
Cutie (22nd June) - Oriental, Yvonne Creative
Ah Ling - X-Zen, Pan Pac
Dolphie (14 & 17 June)- Wedding Present, Marriott, ImageGarden, Choon Huat (actual day)

We were supposed to meet up last week but it fell through due to the busy-ness of everyone.

wenn

good morning gers!

talking about shoes ah? i've oso bought a pair of strappy silver shoes from tangs last xmas. my designer was telling me that it is easier to match both WG & EG in some cases.. oso, after wedding, the shoes still could be worn with other dresses
happy.gif

yve

Meow,
I am sure u can use your ROM shoes to actual. I have a few pairs of beige or white shoes of various heights. Depending on the length of my O/D PS WG, will wear different shoes.

jady

hi gals, morning!

serene, let me know yr findings (tat is if u find a cheaper shop as compared to the contact i've given u, thks).
wah, u even selected yr ps gowns ah? i hvnt so din think abt the colours. only know my mtm EG is 2 tone(bluish pink or pinkish blue on the inner & a soft light blue chiffon layer on the outside).

fishball & kk, ya i heard the taka fair like suntec fair,so no pt. going.

where's the rest ah?

btw, hv u gals decided where to go for ps?

leo29

NovGroom,

You mean from first till fifteen? This is the first time I came across this. Will take note!Lucky during CNY, I spent most of time gamble and sleeping so no time to shop.

are

DK... its the least i'm really expecting frm my parents! me & hubby paying for everything ourselves & we dun hv much savings, so anything is welcomed! lucky my mum is giving quite a number of items for jia juang, like sewing machine, bedsheets, crookery... so can save watever we can.

meow... me hainanese + hubby hokkien. photographer from bridal.

hey fishball, thanks for describing the exhibition to me. I thought it was some wedding fair at the museum ... heh heh heh...

Jady: huh? WE can to decide ah? I thot the photographer will recommend ? He only asked me if i prefer city skyline or greens or seaside....still haven't decided tho.

Have you thot of yours?
I fear outdoor shots ... the weather is soooo humid in singapore. Go out for a while and my make up will start melting already. In fact, my T-zone already looks shiny even in indoors. Sigh ...

okeanosmao

hi meow,

yup..din cm into this chat often..been bz wif work, projects and exams..and not much time to cm in during office hr..hee..furthermore, i hvn select my wg yet too..discover novgroom also same bridal shop wif me..but he already chose the wg..

hi novgroom,
din manage to chat wif u..saw in the list that u are with the same bridal wif me..if i'm not wrong, u hv already selected the gowns rite? so how's the variety over there? i still hvn call up to book date for selection..sigh..

catch up wif u all again..

lol.gif

abrinas

Welcome Shanice and Yvonne
happy.gif

Shanice, u hv a thread of yr b4/after slimming thing rite? I hope i got the correct person. So nice tt u r going to Tioman for PS. Nice beaches they hv.
wink.gif

Invitation cards printing are quite fast - think abt 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast u confirm the words/design etc. Is 22nd really a good date? seems like a lot of people r saying it is a really good good date. Me n FH don't mind - we just want a saturday and 21st looks good.
happy.gif
I hv both church n dinner n do not want to hold them over 2 days. I'll be printing my cards end March cos trying to finish painting my hse 1st. one thing at a time.

Too late for fear and hesitations actually. All these shd be when he proposes n b4 saying yes. for me, after all these, 2 late liao.
wink.gif

O ya, hv to go ROM, maybe mid to end of next mth to register intention n get blank cert liao. Must speak to my reverend b4 i forget. Priviledged, how abt u? when r u going to ROM?

amore

meow...i think though driver/car/petrol provided by bridal hor.. but u pay bridal not the driver...give him some $$ for meals hehee... anyway the ang bao dun hafta be big... maybe like $10 or $12

me hakka, hubby teochew. Actual day Andrew (The Edge)

pausini

hi Kare:
Still working hard on the detox. The apple detox method is publish in the chinese newspaper. I didnt get the Biolight.

Shook: Me is definitely not "Xian QI Liang Mu" Just think only, i may not do it. so still have some touch up on ur new place lor. You have all ur furniture in?

rhs

1027: Quite sure we can decide the locations if u already know what u want. If u dunno then they will suggest few places. My fren tell me to bring evian spray during PS. Dun worry, I'm sure this problem is common to a makeup artist so he/she will use sweatproof one *kekeke* Happened to me once during my undergrad convocation. I was sweating like mad and thought my face is super oily. Turns out when I check in the mirror it only looked dewy! Wah, super man!

Most prob we choose east coast as one of the locations. Haven't decide the other one.

serene: i think pink will look so sweet for u! ur skin very fair mah. Me fine here, only cannot lift arms very high *kekeke* thx

naturally

Hi tingting and Mrs quake,
guess wat? Me also will be staying in p21... blk 645, very near to tingting, but my flat's progress is slower... so Mrs Quake, have u got your keys yet? So sorry, but where's punggol field? Haven't really check out my new neighbourhood yet, hehe!
lame.gif

rinoa,
yeah, the price range is shockingly high, most of it goes to paying for the brand!

Pam,
u lucky gal, Fullerton is really beautiful, too bad it's too ex for us!
happy.gif

twinklets

Gals,
I think I misinterpreted the “ah yee angbaos”. I tot this is given AFTER the wedding. This angbao is supposed to give on the actual day itself rite? To both Xiong Di & Ah Yee issit?

Leo,
Yah think $20 is good enuff liao. Some of the them gave only $8 or $12. I remember I went to my buddy’s Hubby’ house tat time as Ah Yee, the mother din give us leh.
Hmm but I tot this angbao is prepared by my mum & his mum? Think must check with my sisters for our family culture liao ..

$60 for driver ----- issit kinda too high??? Hmm think I have to double confirm with my frens & sisters.

Btw, just a stupid question …. Can my father be the driver during tat day???? I’m thinking of borrowing his car … but I scare he dun allow other pple to drive except himself.
sad.gif

I think I’ll give more angbao for my makeup artist & Photographer – so tat they can do a good job!!!
Oh ya .. one advise I got from my fren … - it is advisable to give an angbao to the captain/operations mgr in charge of your banquet tat nite --- give maybe $50 to $80 to ensure he does a good job for you.

Twink|ets ~

priviledged

Abrinas, end of March too, I'll file our intention to get married with ROM on line. I think we can get the blank cert later, right? Probably I'll do that early June, when I can get off from work. I'm not sure of the procedure. Must get IC no. and letter from Pastor, I think. Any ideas?

twinklets

Leo29,
My father only has his 2 sisters. BUT as the eldest son in our "Chua Family", he is inviting my granduncles & grandaunty’s children with grandchildren to the banquet!!!!! I’m only closed with my 2 Aunties’ childrens (same age grp) , the rest we hardly tok to one another 1.
angry.gif

My mum’s side got more .. she’s the last among 7 kids. U can imagine how many siblings she’s gonna invite & the # of childrens + grandchildren coming rite????
sad.gif

My mum told me this time round they both only invite relatives only, last time they invited their frens too to my 2 sisters’ weddings. U can imagine how many foreign faces there.
angry.gif

Meow,
Me – Hainanese
FH – Hainanese-Teochew
Actual Day – Bridal

Twink|ets ~

sunnyling

Hi

Twinklet, think $60 is reasonable AngBao for the driver leh if he is your friends. For the Operation Manager thk most of the ppls do give so to ensure they do a good job.

jady

1027, of cos we can decide where to go, abt 2 locations usually unless u r in sentosa. only when u really dunno where then photographer will suggest. i got v oily face T-zone too! will shine under sun like u say...haha
must bring my facial blotter along.

i'm still thinkg of 'not too common' places. definitely dnt want esplanade/fullerton, labrador park & sentosa. cos i see most wedding albums shot at these places. of cos will go to some places whereby people go b4 but at least not so popular type(fewer couples take pics there b4 mah:p)

rhs, u take care ah..
happy.gif

flowee

gd mornin ladies

kk mei

yes i saw a number of strappy silver heels @ OG albert...
onli take a glimpse @ it onli as i m currentli checkin out closed toe shoes 4 my WG...
EG shoes will come later...
happy.gif

had custom made my WG shoes last nite @ riccino...
@ $170 4 the organza kinda...
finali done with my WG shoes shoppin...
happy.gif

the heels r of smaller base hv 2 walk with care!!!

yi

wats ur shoe ht n ur size???
i m lookin 4 somethin 2.5 inch n my shoe size is 8...

wenn

gd 4 u...
u can brin along durin ur appt @ j&c...
happy.gif

cookiemz

hi cherubies,

sorrie for the late reply
happy.gif
busy preparing for ROM and trying to clear work at the same time! :mad:

i was offered a corner of the Raffles Ballroom which was kind of odd shaped.. prefer the spaceship shaped ballroom of fullerton.. anyway we will decide this weekend which to take ;)

have you decided on your honeymoon spot? i wonder if NZ would be too cold in July, heard it is very scenic and relaxing
biggrin.gif

vio

hello gals....

rhs - so u got stitches not? lucky under arms - yah dun lift ur arms too high during ps hee...take care
happy.gif

yah jady is rite - we can decide 2 outdoor location!

1027 - dun worry too much abt ur face oily cos bridal make-up usually long lasting n heavier then out daily make-up, juz need evian spray & blotter like rhs & jady mentioned to freshen up!! will look gd wan lah hee....

serene - so nice u got EG done. looking fwd to my 1st appt in Apr!!