Singaporebrides | Essentials
DIY of The Month – Of Hearts And Bows
Think you’re a hands-on kind of bride and want to make something really special for your wedding? It doesn’t have to be something elaborate; think small, simple yet significant. It could be a personalised Save-The-Date card, or a memorable wedding favour. You don’t even have to be very good at arts and crafts to make these wonderful mementos. SingaporeBrides shows you how to Do-It-Yourself.
What’s small, fluffy and bears the symbol of your wedding promise? A ring pillow! It’s the perfect item to do yourself if customising wedding favours seems like a tall order for your busy schedule. Give your guests something to remember your solemnisation ceremony by with your very own customised ring pillow. After which, you can even keep it in your new home as a reminder of the day you both said “I do”. With SingaporeBrides’ step-by-step tutorial, learn how to create your very own ring pillow from scratch.
Here’s what you need:
- Crochet Doily
- Sewing threads
- Sewing needle
- Baby blue and pink bows
- Medium-sized pearl beads
- Pink ribbon (approximately 26 centimetres)
Time taken for each: 2 hours
Average cost for each: $12
1. Print the heart-shaped template out on plain paper and cut it out. You may get the template from here.
2. Place the cut-out template on top of some felt and using a pen, trace out the outline.
3. Then, cut it out. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 to get two heart-shaped cut-outs.
4. Measure and cut out a rectangle of 12cm by 5cm on another piece of felt.
5. Once done, you should have a total of three pieces of cut-out felt.
6. Stitch the rectangular piece of felt onto one of the heart-shaped ones. This is to provide the ring bearer with a firmer grip of the pillow. Using a thread in the same shade as the felt, sew only the sides of the rectangular piece onto the heart-shaped one. Bear in mind to leave ample room for a palm to slip in.
7. Sew the blue and pink bows along the border of the remaining piece of heart-shaped felt. Position the blue and pink bows in alternate sequence, leaving a 1-2cm gap along the borders for the final stitches. To hide the threads from view, use similar coloured threads.
8. Proceed to stitch the white pearl beads randomly onto the felt using a white coloured thread. Remember to leave enough room in the center for the pink crochet doily to be stitched on.
9. Place the pink crochet doily in the center and stitch it down along its borders using a pink coloured thread.
10. Measure and cut out a 16cm long pink ribbon and stitch it down in the centre onto the middle portion of the crochet doily. Ensure that the satin side of the ribbon is facing downwards.
11. Now, it’s time to sew the pieces together using blanket stitches. A blanket stitch consists of widely spaced interlocking loops. Sew the two pieces of heart-shaped felt together and make the stitches as equally spaced as you possibly can. Do take note that the two pieces of felt are facing the correct sides and try not to leave too big a gap in between your blanket stitches.
12. When you get to the top, leave a gap of 5-6cm. Proceed to stuff the felt with pillow stuffings and once you’re satisfied with the plumpness, sew the gap shut with blanket stitches. Do not over- or under-stuff your pillow. To ensure that all corners of the cover are filled, use a pen to push the stuffing towards the corners.
Even those who profess to being the worst in needlework have to admit that this DIY ring pillow is easy and quick to make. Plus, customising your own ring pillow also means you have both the power and freedom to create one that fits your theme and preference, and it adds special meaning to the pillow when you keep it as a momento of your wedding day. Up the love-factor by shaping your pillow in a heart-shape like we did, or keep to the tradition of a square ring pillow. Whether you’re looking for one that’s cute and fun, elaborate and elegant or just something simple, you’re bound to find it by experimenting with different fabrics, materials and patterns.3-Piece Paper Luggage Set from NBC Stationery and Gifts
Perfect for Themed weddings, Outdoor weddings, Solemnisation, Wedding keepsake