Singaporebrides | Essentials
DIY of The Month – The Scent of Love
Think you’re a hands-on kind of bride and want to make something really special for your wedding? It doesn’t have to be something elaborate; think small, simple yet significant. It could be a personalised Save-The-Date card, or a memorable wedding favour. You don’t even have to be very good at arts and crafts to make these wonderful mementos. SingaporeBrides shows you how to Do-It-Yourself.
Nothing says “sincerity” and “do-it-yourself” more than a hand-sewn handicraft. Thank your guests for taking time out of their schedules to attend your wedding by gifting them with a customised peony sachet filled with dried lavender that not only looks good, but smells heavenly as well! With a needle, coloured thread, a ready-to-print-template and some handicraft items, SingaporeBrides will show you how to whip up as many sachets as you require in no time at all.
Here’s what you need:
- Dried lavender buds
- Purple linen cloth
- Pink felt (2 shades – light and dark)
- Pink small button
- Sewing needle
- Purple and pink thread
- Dressmaker’s pins
- Pinking Shears
Time taken for each: 30 minutes
Average cost for each: $5.50
1. First, cut out 2 pieces of purple linen cloth measuring 4″ by 4″. This will serve as your sachet. When you’re done, set the pieces of cloth aside.
2. Print out the peony flower template here and cut out the individual petals first. You don’t have to be precise when cutting. Secure the individual petals onto each of the two pieces of pink felt with a dressmaker’s pin. Then, cut them out. Do remember to alternate the petals between the two shades of pink felt.
3. Stack the cut-out felt petals on top of one another in an overlap fashion. You should have something like this:
4. Sew the felt petals together using a light pink thread. Thread through the middle of the smallest petal 2-3 times. You don’t need to keep threading through the same spot, but do try to keep the sewing to the middle of the smallest petal. When you’re done, don’t tie a knot first.
5. Proceed to thread a pink coloured button through the same pink thread and sew it onto the felt flower. Ensure that the button sits in the center of the smallest petal. Thread through another 2-3 times.
6. Without changing to another piece of thread, sew the peony flower onto one piece of purple linen cloth. Sew a few more rounds before finishing with a knot on the underside of the cloth.
7. Further secure your felt peony flower to the piece of cloth by tagging the last petal down around the edges. Once done, tie a knot on the underside of the purple linen cloth.
8. Then, align the other piece of purple linen cloth under the one with the peony flower. Do note that the peony flower should be facing upwards. Using a similar coloured purple thread, sew the two pieces of cloth together using a double chain stitch, leaving half an inch of space on all 4 sides of the cloth.
9. Pause your sewing when you have an opening of approximately 5cm. Using a pair of pinking shears, trim the edges of the cloth. You should leave approximately a quarter of an inch between the purple thread and the edge.
10. Proceed to fill the sachet with dried lavender buds. Your sachet should be filled until they are plump and not overflowing with lavender buds. You can find dried lavender buds from a Spotlight shop.
11. Then, resume your sewing. Finish by closing up the last 5cm of the sachet and tying a small knot on the underside of the sachet.
Now, isn’t that a chic-looking peony sachet plump with dried lavender? Not only does it look and smell good, this wedding favour also comes with a practical use – as a scent sachet your guests can place in their homes. Unlease your creativity and customise these fragrant sachets according to your wedding colours and theme. They don’t even have to be in a square shape or have a peony flower! Make heart-shaped or even star-shaped sachets if you’d like. Do, however, try to keep them pocket-sized so your guests can easily fit them into their dinner purses or pockets.Get Crafty Wooden Box from Typo; Red Heart-shaped Stand from NBC Stationery and Gifts (above)
Perfect for Wedding Favours, Purple and/or pink-themed weddings