Singaporebrides | Essentials
DIY of The Month – Wedding Ang Pow Box
Think you’re a hands-on kind of bride and want to make something really special for your wedding? It doesn’t have to be something elaborate; think small, simple yet significant. It could be a personalised Save-The-Date card, or a memorable wedding favour. You don’t even have to be very good at arts and crafts to make these wonderful mementos. SingaporeBrides shows you how to Do-It-Yourself.
The first thing guests look for at the wedding reception table is the wedding ang pow (or ang bao, to some of you) box where they will drop their blessings for the couple into. If you’re looking to put a personal touch to your big day, there’s no better place to do so than to DIY your wedding ang pow box. With a little guidance, some basic stationery, wrapping paper, a box and plenty of creativity, SingaporeBrides will have you creating wedding ang pow boxes like a professional.
Here’s what you need:
- A box (28.5cm by 19.5cm)
- Wrapping paper
- Wooden block letters and shapes
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Paint palette
- Craft knife
- Double-sided tape
- Super glue
Time taken for each: 25 minutes
Average cost for each: $10
1. Create two slits measuring 8cm by 3cm on the underside of the lid of the box. Create a bigger slit if you need to.
2. Then, measure and cut out a piece of silver wrapping paper 29cm by 20 cm to cover the lid of the box. Leave a border of 5cm around the box to cover the sides of the lid as well.
3. Using double-sided tape, paste the wrapping paper to the top of the lid. Leave the wrapping paper flat on the table and press the lid down to prevent any creases when you flip the lid over.
4. Once you’re done, cover the sides of the lid by using double-sided tape. If you wish, you may make small cuts at the four corners of the wrapping paper to make the folding of the paper easier.
5. Then, trim off the excess wrapping paper at the four corners for a neat look.
6. Proceed to fold the remaining wrapping paper over the edges of the lid and secure them using double-sided tape.
7. Using a craft knife and ruler to guide you, cut the slits out.
8. Decorate the edge of the lid with a strip of crochet measuring 112cm long. Glue the crochet to the four corners of the lid using super glue. When done, set the lid aside.
9. Repeat Steps 2 to 5 with the pink wrapping paper. Do note that the pink wrapping paper should measure 28.5cm by 19.5cm with a border of 11.5cm instead.
10. Then, cut out two pieces of plastic board measuring 19cm by 3cm and 19cm by 8.5cm respectively. This will serve as the divider inside the box.
11. Put the two pieces of plastic board together using double-sided tape. Ensure that the bigger piece is standing up, as demonstrated in the photo.
12. Position the divider in the middle of the box and attach to the base using double-sided tape. Once you’re done, cover the box with the lid and set them aside.
13. Pick out block letters that spell “Just Married”. Paint them in pink acrylic paint. You may choose to paint two to three coats if you want a darker shade of colour.
14. Using red acrylic paint, paint the heart-shaped block. Leave them to dry for a few minutes.
15. Glue the block letters onto the top of the lid using super glue.
And there you have it! Your very own personalised wedding ang pow box with two slits – one for your side of the family and the other one for your husband’s. Make your ang pow box bigger or in a different shape, or even use multiple boxes to create the perfect one if that’s what you want! The possibilities are limitless, so let your creativity go wild!
Perfect for Wedding ang pow box, Pink and silver themed Wedding