WASHING MACHINE-which brand is good?

haido

Hi all, hope to get some washing advice on using my Electronux 10741.

I had been using the machine for about 2 months now and notice that laundry always come out very hard and stiff though i use softener every time.

I had tried to put more softener and less washing powder but still get the same result. This happens on all the modes (cotton/handwash/delicate) on both hot/cold wash.

One thing though, i am still using the 2 packets of persil powder that comes free with the washer and they did not comes with the measuring sccop/cup. But i usually put about 1/5-1/3 (depending on load) in the washing powder container.

Will persil LIQUID detergent works better in this case? and is it because softlan softener cannot make it?

ridhwan82

How do you mean clothes come out hard and stiff. Do you use a dryer or line drying under strong sunlight. If its the former then its prob the dryer setting. If its the latter then yes-line drying under strong sunlight is harsh. Drying under sun is indeed harsh and will result in stiff clothes. The gentlest care for washing is still using a dryer.

Typical full load of 7kg requires about one cup (use plastic cup those we use at parties) as one measuring dosage. This is the correct dosage.

haido

Wow.. if the plastic cup i have in mind is what you are referring to.. that is one big cup! i definitely uses less than that. Can not using enough detergent be the cause as well?

We use line-drying, not in the sun but in the house as there is nobody in during daytime.

But my laundry does not feel stiff when i stayed with my parents and my wife with hers in the past. Both our parents use traditional line-drying but did not face this problem.

By the way, whats the difference between powder and liquid detergent?

ridhwan82

Yeah. A typical 5-6kg lightly soiled load requires some 100ml of the persil. 7kg require about 20ml more.

I shouldn't think the use of little detergent is the cause. What softener do you use? Dosage? A normal softlan prob about 1/2 cup and dilute with same amount of water before pouring into dispenser.

Not much difference. Except during short or superquick washes. Better to use liquid as it will dissolve faster and start working faster as compared to powder. So advisable to use liquid for superquick wash cycles.

nesame

hi ridz
Is spin speed of 1000rpm enuff? What are the Bosch model you recommend and does Bosch comes in anti-rust material? I knows Electroux and Miele does as i need to put my WM in the service yard which had no windows and walls except grille.

Harvey Norman sales told me if my King bedsheet, i need minimum 7 kg. Is that true?

ridhwan82

I would go as high as possible, especially if you are pairing it with a dryer.

1000rpm i would deem as the lowest i would go. Try to go for 1200 or 1400 at least.

As for the anti rust material. No description available so far but i would presume yes. similar to that of electrolux.

If you are really going to put it in the service yard with no windows, then i suggest getting the miele washer. Not only does the body is protect with enamel, the control fascia has also been warm salt water sprayed over and over again and high voltage surge tested. It should stand a better chance at surviving such test especially in our tropical climate.

Yes at least a 7kg washer for king sized bedsheet for an efficient and effective wash.

musicbox

Hi san,
My bosh had been put in the back yard with no windows but only half wall and grille for about a year which subject to rain splash, so far no problem.
Spin min 1200.

nesame

hi ridz
thanks for yr reply. I does drool over the Miele product especially the current promo at $3880 which is quite attractive and to also wait for a Tangs rebate will even make it better. BUT really very hard to swallow paymeing $3+k for a washer and dryer. Hb was sugguesting get a Miele washer but some other brand dryer since dryer is not used often except only when rainy days or for bedsheet since Miele washer alone at 1400 rpm, the effect is almost quite dry and doesn't really need to line it for too long.

But what you think about a 2 in 1? actually was eyeing a 2 in 1 at first, the Electrolux model which comes wz the Time Manager.

btw, do you happen to know this Candy brand. Saw Courts carrying it and it was quite slim.

Hi Dreamz
Which Bosch model you get?

ridhwan82

Yup. The current miele is great. A steal for that price. Well if you prefer to have a better washer and drying is something of a luxury. You can opt for miele washer and other brand dryer combo. Though u will not be able to fully experience the complete laundry care. In fact miele washer is sought after for its reliability and crazy washing detail. Miele dryer give excellent drying results which is hard to compare with generic brand. Of course if you don't use dryer often then it makes sense for a normal dryer with miele washer.

As for 2 in 1. I am not a fan as its very expensive to buy, equally expensive to run and maintain.

Electrolux 2in1 hmmm. Go for bosch ones. Costly though.

As for brand candy its relatively popular in UK but not here. And with the exception of very few models the rest are made in china if I'm not wrong and its reliability from those made in you know where isn't fantastic.

Do not opt for candy because of its slimmer size cos in future if u need replacement you have to really find candy (if they are still around and available) and you cannot purchase other brands hence limited choice or rather no choice. So always cut out a space for standard size ones for ease of replacement.

cherimoya

Hi all, I'm interested to get the Miele washer and dryer set but where is it available? I took a walk at Parkway Parade HN and Best, both doesn't have them.

I'm moving into a place where the yard doesn't have any window or grilles so the washer and dryer is actually next to the open half wall with just blinds (rain doesn't splash much cos there is a beam up in the block), is it ok?

With the dryer, can I also dry King bedsheet, quilt/quilt cover (as in dry to the touch)? Often it might still be alittle damp and i still need to air it.

ridhwan82

Yes. Bosch has, miele also have, so do electrolux, brandt and thomson.

Yup all 2 in 1 are with half load drying.

E.g. 8kg wash the drying capacity is 4kg. And the electricity usage is high. Cos to wash and dry a full load. The machine has to run 3 rounds
1 wash
Take out half then full drying cycle
Rotate out the other half then full drying cycle.

And also because it has to work 3round to do 1 load, its longevity is also affected if you are high usage of dryer. Hence seperate machines is ideal for high usage.

For low usage e.g. 1 full load of washing a week then perhaps its okay. The price of the bosch 2-in+1 also not that cheap.

ridhwan82

The display sets for the miele washer and miele dryer set is at harvey norman millenia walk and best at taka or tang.

U can have a look at the item at the places but u can purchase the item and all other harvey norman and all other best. They have the prodyct code.

Personally if you are gg for extended warranty I would go to best denki to purchase. Cheaper and coverage somewhat better.

If you require information like the function. Just post I see how I can help k.

As for dry to the touch. Because it a one huge item, sometimes the sensor can be a bit fooled. But in general it will be dry to store it in cupboard. This is straight phenmenon across all dryer especially drying pillows. But so far with my miele dryer. The sensor has been able to sense quite properly excpet for my big pillows. Where I just need to do manual timed drying or do another time and it will sense again.

ridhwan82

If you are looking for miele washer and miele dryer package. Can go to millenia walk harvey norman. Just spoke to mickey. He said cos of harvey norman re-launch of the store. If you purchase miele products they will throw in complimentary 2 years extended warranty. I thought it might be something you guys can consider

cherimoya

Hi ridz, thanks for the advice. Just saw your message. Is this mickey from HN? Is it possible to give me his contact? I'm interested to see the washer and dryer. Haven't got time to check them out as busy with other reno stuff.

ridhwan82

haido

Hi, is it ok to use liquid baby laundry detergent and softener in a electronux front load washer? The bottles did not indicate low suds but my wife insists on not using our usual persil on the child's clothes in case of sensitive skin reactions.

musicbox

Hi haido,
The softener can damage the drum, if you really want to use that, remember to dilute with water before putting in.
Btw I've been using persil since my boy is born and no problem at all, u can try wash it once if baby not sensitive to it then can continue using.

ridhwan82

No no please don't use those liquid sanitiser. May cause the drum to rust and the plastic to disintegrate.

Can use better quality wash detergent. And activate the water plus after doing a warm cyccle. So that its clean and properly rinsed. Okay?

haido

Oops.. i think so far we only use them twice on my washer, hope not much damage done. Hm.. can recommend any detergent/softener that is baby/child friendly? Best if it is indicated on the bottle. more convincing for the wife.. haha..

ridhwan82

For detergent. I have not seen the actual packaging for this. But i trust this brand. Description : a powerful, deep-cleaning formula.
Sensitive skin contains special, mild fragrances that do not irritate
sensitive skin or trigger allergic reactions within allergy sufferers.
48-load powder detergent

Will that be suffice? Oh has a picture of a baby in front of the packaging. But its visual. I havent read the instructions yet.

Expensive though

ridhwan82

These are 2 different capacity. Class.

At one glance, EF will have more features and have higher spin speed and higher capacity.

At the very least you should be looking at EWF10741 thats a 7kg with 1000rpm as a comparison.

If budget is an issue then maybe EF or EWF10741. Features - EF wins overall i am more inclined to Electro EWF10741.

However, you might wanna check with whether LG still has the promo at Harvey norman The other time it was going at 878- crazy price i think the model is F1422TD 8kg washer with 1400rpm original price was around 1399.

or else can try to compare with Harvey norman's exclusive model WD12390td 7kg with 1200rpm. then it would be same spec as the EF to compare. RRP last i know is 1199 offered before at 699

if you ask me to compare between these models.
Would be the LG F1422TD then (tie) EF and LG WD12390TD and of course electrolux 10741 (purely because of its lack in specs of spin speed.) the 85661 is to me obsolete because its capacity is just too small for today's standards.

Whats your concern. Lets discuss

blueyme

thanks for the comparison! I just need a basic washing machine which doesnt take too long to wash clothes. Initially was looking at Samsung wf8650 (made in china) as looking for value for $. But it takes 2hrs for a full load wash. Salesman recommend Electrolux 85661 (made in thailand) as shorter time taken (1hr). Now another sales person recommend EF wf7121n which is made in turkey, saying EF is better in quality, deeper, no water trapped in the rubber, door closing smoother. Havent heard of EF and not much review found on the net. Just want to be sure of what I am getting.

ridhwan82

Which is main concern?
Rank in order okay?

Quality and reliability
Budget (pls state)
Features (e.g. Wash cycles)
Wash duration

And also usually there is a compromise wth either one of these in priority.

Cos value for money - with quality n reliability may not go hand in hand.
Or value for money and features.

If super value for money go for Kuche

There is a 7kg washer with 1000rpm and 6kg auto sensing dryer both if there is offer you can get at $699?now that's value for money

But its made in china. Wash features not bad also

blueyme

I guess shd be reliability then. Don't want it to die on me after a year or two or give me alot of problem. Budget $650. Wash duration abt an hr will do. No essential features. simple washing. Just for one pax.

ridhwan82

Hi Haido,

There is one detergent that is certified hypoallergenic. Called Ultra Purex Baby. Thats suitable to be used for a front Load. Its certified for use for HE machines so thats why.

Available at cold storage $10.85 per bottle - good for 33 washes.

ridhwan82

Bluemy, I dunno about reliability of EF though. But for that price of EF its very competitive. How many years warranty? If you could then get extended warranty?

haido

Thanks for the inputs guys.

I am using softlan for softener now, but going to ditch it and try comfort next.

Anyway we had decided to continue using the baby detergent/softener for our child clothes but we will hand wash it manually..

Next question i have is, after last round of rinsing the clothes, we will add the softener in. Can i use the washer to rinse and spin the clothes, with the softener mix in? Will this also damage the washer?

Trying to minimize as much manual work as possible.. haha..

ridhwan82

Highly Efficient Machines. So those detergent for use for HE machines, they do not produce a lot of suds aka low suds so suitable for ftont load machines.

Oh yeah just to clarify the softener that you are using for ur baby's clothes is softlan?

Whats the brand of the detergent for baby that you are using?

spoty

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a washer for my new place, and i have narrow down to 2 choices; either the Bosch Logixx8 VarioPerfect WAS28444ME or the Miele W1914.. Can anyone give some reviews and comments between these 2 washers? Many thanks in advance!

ridhwan82

these are 2 distinct machine in 2 different categories in many level and hence make it difficult to compare.

Which ones are you looking at to compare. Just go give you a glance at what i mean by difference.

Miele 1914.
Machine is designed for use for 20 years. SO the build quality - materials used to make the machine is of much better quality than bosch.

Because they are the rolls royce of washing machine, their washing customisation is unparalled to any other washer at this present moment. Their pursuit of fabric care is top notch. SO their drum construction is of honeycomb design. And with full stainless steel drum. (bosch is semi - the paddles of the drum in bosch is made of plastic). Even their outer tub is made of stainless steel (bosch is plastic)

Miele washer has cast iron support for their drum- unlike bosch's

Miele washer has enamel front panel that is very solid that doesnt yellow or corrode and they are warm water sprayed all over and jolted with high voltage and it should survive before they carry miele badge. SO its in a different league from bosch.

Bosch machines
by the way this model has a replacement model which means this is an obsolete model. they should be selling you the 28448.
Anyhow. bosch is a 8kg washer (miele is 7) so this is not a fair comparison on this basis. cos depending on needs then you would be getting whichever machine.

Bosch has the ellipse drum- actually not too bad. its supposed to have 2 different mechanical action depending on which way the drum turns. I think clockwise gives a rougher mechanical action (due to shape the highly sloped shape on one end and a gentler slope facing the other side of the drum) then when the drum rotates anti clockwise it gives a gentler mechanical action.

And the 28444 has aquastop feature which meas that if water leakage internall is detected, the aquastop system will turn the water pump on to pump out water and cut off the water supply. Or if the water inlet hose burst- there is a second layer of hose that will contain the water and again water supplyu will be cut off and water pumped out from dru,. (this aquastop feature is not available in the entry range of miele but it is avaialble in their higher range)

Bosch washer has slightly more number of wash programmes, but actually its the same as miele. because they count
Cotton (as 1)
Cotton + prewash (as another 1)
so this makes 2 programmes.
Whereas miele has
Cotton option on the dial (but you can select prewash as option)
so in this case even though miele has
1 count of wash cycle vs bosch 2 . its essentially the same. cos of the way its structure thats all.

But the quickwash on miele is 20 min whereas bosch is 15 min.

spin speed both are the same 1400 and adjustable.

Bosch has 2 years warranty (standard)
Miele is giving 1 (last i know but not sure if they have joined in to give 2 years)

SO depending on your budget as well as needs. then it really depends.

If you want the best of washing machine - Miele cos of its build and construction (i would suggest extended warranty for both sets more so for miele because their service is expensive because they are parts build to last so a little on the high side. E.g. the suspension if it dies thats 90 bucks truck roll + 250 parts. or if the computer chip dies its 290 + 90 truck roll.) you get the drift.

If you want value for money then bosch cos of its 8kg and wash features that is similar to miele. but miele represents a higher quality productand it will outlive bosch typically.

Oh yeah both are made in germany. Miele - all their parts even their chipboards, suspension everything is made by miele themselves. Bosch- well its made in germany but parts is all over. So you can look at this if it makes any diff. and usually miele guarantees the availability of parts of their machine up to 10 years after they have officially stopped producing the model. so you have no worries of not having spares.

Oh yeah if you are getting the w1914 might as well just get the dryer.

Because miele dryer- drying result is excellent.

alvin7

Hi all, im doing an assignment on behalf of a customer on miele products and it brought me to here! Btw, to cut my story short, im a miele sales consultant, based in one of the electrical stores in sg.(shall not disclose where),.

Thks Ridz, for ur kind explanations on miele washing machines and dryers. You should come work for us! haha

anyway, my purpose here is to offer any queries on the usage, benefits and right any misconceptions on miele washing machines/dryers etc.
For the current promotions of the w1914 7kg honeycomb washer and T7944 honeycomb condensor dryer, there is a new promotion added in since oct 27th till 31st dec. For customers who have doubts on whether spending $3880 on a miele washer and dryer is indeed worth it, Miele will throw in a 30 day money-back guarantee! In short, if u folks decided against buying the machine after the 30 day trial, you can ask miele for a refund with no questions asked. But u need to fulfill the following criteria.
1) payment must be in full
2) delivery must be within 14 days from date of purchase.
3) the 30 day trial starts from the date of delivery.
4) no tampering, unauthorised repairs other than miele technicians within the 30 day period.

This promotion is valid for all models of miele washers and dryers!Oh forgot to mention, from now, miele will give you a set of 4 miele detergents instead of the previously ultrawhite detergent when u purchased the washer. (Pls use them the detergents r really indeed fantastic!) and there is a drying basket for the dryer as well!(good for soft toys and shoes). Any further queries pls pm me or visit one of the electrical stores dealing with miele products.

alvin7

By the way, im a new user to this forum and i may not have as much time answering all ur queries due to my long working hours. Hope u guys understand if i take quite awhile to reply...

ridhwan82

Hi alvin,

Hey thanks for the compliment. Nay I won't wanna break your rice bowl right? Hahaha.

Anyhow, you might wanna consider posting the promo under the Miele Washer and Dryer thread that I actually created years ago on the promo also.

Great to see a miele consultant finally. So forumers can ask questions and get direct answer.

Does miele sg have facebook page? Should have if not. =p

P/s there's only one alvin that I know from miele. Not sure if its you. From a jap based super stored residing in a jap big shopping centre. Hmmm..very few miele consultant that I know

alvin7

Thks Ridz.

Hmm, oh then i must have met u then! It was of quirk coincidence that i managed to come in here, as i was searching for something else initially. I have to regret to inform u that there is only a miele facebook page from germany and uk! Not in sg though, i guess the community is not as big as in europe!Anyway, i think it was a great n helpful input from u here as correct and insightful information is hard to come by and also similarly hard to put across to consumers alike.

We at miele, we really would love nothing more than share everything we know about our products and why, as some ppl put, pay dear $ for our products. As what our big boss ,Mr markus Miele says, "There r 2 ways to b successful, either sell the cheapest products extensively, or make the Best products, without compromise! Once again i have to say thanks.

Btw one pice of info for u guys, the miele warehouse sales is coming soon. Old "B" stocks models are going for attractive prices.Items include ovens, coffee machines, fridges and hobs.

alvin7

Miele Warehouse SAle Today & Tomorrow 10am-8pm
23 Serangoon North Ave 5 #02-00 BTH Centre.
Go grab your Miele appliances

rjan

Hi Ridz,

I'm thinking of buying a 7kg washer and would be greatful if you could offer me some advice.

Budget around $1000, though I am trying very hard to persuade my husband to purchase the Miele w1914. Wash duration abt an hr or slightly over is fine. I'm basically using the machine for washing of bedlinen, king quilt cover, sofa covers as well as my husband's business pants and jeans.Occasionally, also use the spin cycle of the machine to get rid of the excess water from my hand laundered clothes. Hope to get something that is energy efficient, cleans throughly and silent. Hope that it is a reliable brand too.

Could I also enquire about another thing? Does a higher spin speed of say, 1400 cause the clothes to be very creased? I usually set my spin speed to 600rpm, as I'm not sure whether the higher spin speed would cause the sofa covers, clothes, etc to crease easily (i'm currently using a Thomson Topload washer TX888)

Sorry for all my questions. as I usually hand launder all the other clothes that we wear and allow them to drip dry, before sunning them.

Awaiting your kind revert.

Sincere Thanks

nesame

Can anyone advise me?

I jus shifted to my new place few wks ago and using my new Bosch front load washer. However, I am having problem with my wash now. Many a times, my clothes get dyed during the wash. I will always seperate my dark and light colour clothes into different load. Both dark and light colour clothes will also get color stain. Last friday, I did a light colour load wz mostly whites and 2 pcs of light pink tshirt, but end up, 2 pcs of my white tshirt turns into Pink tshirt. Or sometimes, the picture on the tshirt is white, so only the picture get 'dyed'.

I wonder is it the detergent problem (persil) or my machine problem. Now each time i wash my clothes, I got to pray that the load came out fine and not get stain.

Btw, beside Persil for low sud, any other brand? I only like liquid type and not powder type. I saw some brand like Woolite, Essence, etc which seems milder type of detergent but they didn't indicate as low sud but there's a washing machine front load picture indicated on the packing. I wonder can it be use?

target2007

Hi Ridz,

I am looking around for a new washer ONLY, but I seriously do have a space constraint. I am using a Thomson washer (TX818) for the past 6-7 yrs. The outer layer is peeling, but I can still do my washing, though the spin dry is indeed quite noisy and now the whole machine does shakes when spin drying...haha.

I dont know if I should get back a Thomson or I should consider other brands?

My budget is max $1400 if possible.
My household is just 2 adults.
I dont hand-wash my clothes, all is being dumped into the washing machine with the delicate clothes being placed in netting, so I would need a good washer . Other than men's workshirts, pants and women dresses, I do throw my king size bedsheets to wash.

I did a measure, a 59cam is going to be a tight fit. I think anything above that, dont think can fit in.

Can you do a recommendation?
Or do I have to go back to Thomson, if so, can you advise which model is good?

ridhwan82

unfortunately if you are going for top load continental washing you are limited to a few brands

Brandt or Thomson.

Try to see if you would be able to fit a front load machine dimension is typically 60 x 60 thats ideal.

Else then its back to thomson. quite expensive from the new range.

ridhwan82

hi nesame,

perhaps you can do a maintenance run on your machine to clean out inside. just run with 1/3 soap on cotton 90/95 degrees and let it run without anything. sometimes it could be colour from previous wash not washed out then kena the next round of washing..

oh by the way what washing temperature did you select? and which model you are using.

select cold wash to see if the same problem occurs. if it doesnt then probably the clothes are non colour fast. so keeps on running. identify the clothes so that you know next time not to mix it up with other and u can do a quick wash for those clothes individually. read the label too.

if it says : wash with similar colours then most prob it could be the colour runs or it absorbs colour easily. and try to do testing. put the cloth in a pail of water with some detergent for a few minutes to see if the colour runs. this test is useful if you are not sure if the colour will run.

try to fdo the maintenance run first. and repeat if necessary.

snoewy

HI,

I am looking for a new front load washer and dryer for our newly renovated flat.I have narrowed the choices to 2 brands, Miele and Bosch.

Miele

Washer: W1914
Dryer T7944
Price :$3880(package)

Bosch

Washer: WAS28448ME Logixx for allergy Relief
Price:$1699
Dryer: WTS86515BY
Price:$1599
Total cost: $3298

Could anyone provide any insight or advice please? Which is 'better'? What are the pros and cons for both?

mingyi

Hi All,

Can someone advise me on the below? I know nothing about washer or dryer but need to get them for my new house soon... Hope someone can shed some light ^^

1. What are the pros & cons of a top load & front load washer?

2. Is it advisable to get a washer+dryer or separately?

3. What is the recommended capacity required for a small household (couple) for washing day to day clothes & king size bed sheet & quilt cover?

4. Any recommendation of brand or models I should look at? Budget around $1.2 to $1.5k for both washer & dryer.

Any information/suggestions/recommendations are welcomed!
happy.gif

Thanks in advance!