Unsure about wedding

GBK2014

My fiance and i will be getting married later this year.

Recently he has a new boss and work is not as enjoyable as before. He just told me that he intends to quit his job. I told him that he should quit his job only after he is clear what he wants to do. Afterall he can still keep the job while he look for another. But he felt that he don't have time to find a job if he is with the company. He usually leaves work around 6 plus on most days although his day time is very stressful according to him. Compared to when i was doing hectic job, days when working into weekends was norm when i was a fresh graduate, to days when i work till 2-3am everyday on the computer, or in another job where leaving office at 9plus was the norm, i thought it was not bad that his job allows him to leave at 6plus on most days.

Anyway, my nagging thought was that we will be getting married this year and plans to set up a family. Yet, he doesn't give me the assurance of being stable and ready to set up a family. I tried to brush this anxiety feeling inside but since he told me, it actually keeps me up whole night. I am usually a person who have no problem sleeping and i'm kinda chill kind of person but this really affects me. I'm not sure if it's my natural instinct that cause me to be overly concern due to my growing up years, as my father was very irresponsible and doesn't care for the family nor work to support the family, or if i do have a valid concern. I feel that a man and a father of a family should be someone willing to take hardship to provide for the family. He need not be rich or earns alot but it should be in his natural tendency to step up and be a man, as a leader and provider of the family. In fact, i earn a comfortable salary about double of his and he is not from a rich family so it is not like i am looking for a rich husband.

It's just that it bothers me that we are going to set up a family but he don't find it a problem that there is no concrete plan before quitting a job. He say he can also take the opportunity to rest and let his health recuperate as his health is weak ( no serious illness just in general weak)

I am on a one year sabbatical this year. I had been working for more than 10 years and was doing pretty decent in my career and had a reasonable saving to allow me the sabbatical. In addition, i was planning for this year to focus on some initiatives i had always wanted to do. Since i am now in my sabbatical, it would be unfair for me to tell him he can't quit his job and do what he likes. So i told him to just do that his heart tells him. But if i had known in advance he wants to quit, i may think twice about going for my break from work. A couple with both not working and a housing loan doesn't sound exciting to me, not to mention any plan to have children.

I have been thinking and i feel that it is his life and he should have the rights to do whatever his heart tells him. At the same time, i think he is not ready for a family and i have phobia to be married to someone with traits that reminds me of my father although i don't think he is that extreme like my father.

I am seriously thinking of calling off the wedding. I feel that this is best for him and best for me. What do you think?

Cimorene

I think it's still ok if he intends to only take a short break. Everyone needs a break after awhile, and maybe his job is really that bad? Gg home on time doesn't necessarily mean a good thing, it could be tt he really can't take it anymore / don't care anymore, so even if can't finish just leave.

That said, if u have strong concerns maybe u can voice out to him. Or u can help look at job ads and recommend to him if u see anything suitable? If u help him look maybe he'll be able to get another job before leaving this one.

GBK2014

Thanks for the advice. :)

Maybe i was really think too much. I don't know why but recently( before this incident) i had been wondering if we are really suited for each other for marriage. I told him before my thoughts and we went for pre marriage counseling which helps in some ways and things seem ok and then i'll have something such as this that nags my mind...

sadman2009

You may want to allow him to have a short break. But you can ask him about how he is going to shoulder the housing loan and how long a break he is going to take. Ask him on his plans for the future, for his marriage with you and building his family. If you have any concerns, I think you should not hesitate to talk to him and let him know. In this way, you can also find out more about his view and what he has in his mind.

uglydude

I think that if you dun see yourself in this marriage..u better walk away from it....i seen people who annul their marriage blah blah...is it worth it at all...u need to go into a marriage because you wanted to go in whole heartedly ...

When in doubt, do not proceed.

Like what sadman2009 mentioned, it's alright to have a short break in between, but that's provided he is pro-actively looking for a new job during this short break. If the short break drags longer and all sort of excuses comes in for not being able to get a new job, or not able to stay in a job for long, then you've to seriously re-consider this lifelong commitment.

If you have doubts, do not marry else you may end up like a lot of us here who are divorced and carrying the stigma of been a divorcee. I tell you it is no fun. Maybe you can just postpone the wedding and see first. Don't be rushed into a decision like I do and regret now...:(

uglydude

Divorcee got stigma ah? Din know that....got a lot of friends that are divorcee....but to them like nothing woh.....:D:D:D

Divorcee got stigma ah? Din know that....got a lot of friends that are divorcee....but to them like nothing woh.....:D:D:D
Don't know why a lot of people say they got a lot of friends who are divorced but those I know are either happily married or already got kids. you sure there are so many divorcees?

GBK2014

Thanks everyone for the advice. :) Really appreciate all for taking the time to read and give me a second opinion as there's no one i can talk to about my uneasiness.

When i wanted to go for my sabbatical which just started this year, my fiance had been supportive. The plan was to go pursue my dream, and besides me having my own savings which allow me for my planned break, he will still be working and can provide some level of support. I feel that now that he is tired of his job and facing challenges, i should equally extend the same kind of support as well. Yet, it means both of us are out of job while we are just about to start a life together, including the new housing bills which makes me insecure. And the fact was, the original plan is only just starting and he already changes his mind and the whole plan is thrown out of the window.

I want to be supportive of him as he had been supportive of me so i will definitely not hold him back but will see how i can help him instead. But i think i will postpone the wedding as i feel that we should go into a marriage in a stable stage, ready for the next phase. During our pre marriage counseling, we spoke about what kind of family unit we would like to build together and what traits and legacies from our existing families we would like to bring and not bring to the new family. One trait i spoke of was, my father doesn't work and provide for the family although he is healthy and well. I feel that he is simply irresponsible and lazy and i do not respect such men nor do i want to enter into a marriage where my partner behaves as such, taking easy way out, not a care, wants to have a family but not the responsibility that comes with it. Of course my fiance is not that kind of person but somehow after this recent sharing, i have been feeling uneasy. I was hoping to see the instinct to plan ahead and prepare for the family for storm ahead, like a manly man...

Sigh, maybe it's my female evolutionary reflexes which is inaccurate for today's world and is misguiding me. This seems like such a small issue yet i just feel i'm not sure i wanna get married..

GBK2014

If you have doubts, do not marry else you may end up like a lot of us here who are divorced and carrying the stigma of been a divorcee. I tell you it is no fun. Maybe you can just postpone the wedding and see first. Don't be rushed into a decision like I do and regret now...:(

Thanks for the advice. It must have not been easy for you. I hope many better things awaits ahead for you. Jiayou! :)