Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel

shopaholicjuan

>giraffe It was not too bad. Mine is going to be a lunch.

The cold dish was ok. Lol the sushi was too cold for our liking though.

The poached live prawns were very fresh. Told the chef we liked it.

The shark fin's soup was nice too. We liked the whole pieces of shark fin.

We are contemplating whether to change the deep fried sea bass to steamed instead. It tasted rather dry esp when they served it individually.

The seasonal greens with dried scallops were too salty for our liking. However my mum found it ok. Guess it all depends on your individual palate.

And of course the signature roasted chicken was fantastic. Everyone liked it.
happy.gif

The e fu mee was quite unique. It had sambal sauce in it. By this time, I was too full to finish it.

Dessert was sea coconut with papaya, snow fungus, lotus seed and red dates. We were expecting a cold dessert so were surprised when it came warm. But it's quite unique. We did ask for more snow fungus and red dates cos they were hardly visible. Lol..

It was enjoyable but my husband din koe soft drinks were chargable. He paid $11 for a soft drink. Lol...oh we asked for 3 complimentary parking coupons and got them.
happy.gif

felixp

Hi candy > yahor still must tie the ribbon.. U very fast!! Btw the ribbon was provided foc by the marriot printer along with the cards?

Hi ah faith & Christine: wow, very detailed notes! Txs for sharing with us! ;)

candycandy001

Felix (felixp) > Ya, all included, card + envelop + ribbon. My father said it may be convenient to distribute card during CNY, ha^^ (which is abt 1 mth ahead for my AD)

troides

Hi everyone,

I had my wedding lunch last Sunday. My coordinator Christine and banquet manager Leong took very good care of us
happy.gif
They met all our expectations and whole process went without a hitch. On the AD, Marriott gave us a few pleasant surprises which made the day sweeter. From ROM to tea ceremony to banquet, I have nothing but praises.

Since there are a number of wedding lunch brides here, I'll share my experiences here.

- I have 18 tables, my lunch started at 1pm and ended 3.30pm. The dishes were served very promptly. No long wait between first and second dish. Maybe because less tables mean less delays.

- My suite was just in front of the lift. This doesn't sound good at first, but I really appreciated it when I had to rush to change the gowns.

- My guests consumed 1.5 barrels of beer. Who says guests don't drink beer during lunch haha.. Anyway I personally find that Marriott beer is the best I have tasted.

- There is no comb in the suite, so bring your own.

- I used Marriott's tea set for tea ceremony. They had one person holding the tray, one to wash the cup and another to pour the tea. All I can say is WOW!

Christine, your lunch menu almost exactly like mine. We changed the sea bass to steam red garoupa. It was delicious.

candycandy001

Lish (troides) >Thanks for your sharing, I also have lunch and am going to have tea ceremony in the hotel too. May I know do we need to make meet coordinator b4 for all those details, timing, flow/rehersal tat kind? Now my hubby started gan jiong asking me what he should do on the AD...

shopaholicjuan

>lish thanks so much! Mebbe I shld just switch to steamed red garoupa. I'm also having my tea ceremony in the hotel. Any pics?

>felix hee do you need any more info? When is ur AD?

candycandy001

LIsh> Do we need to arrange meeting b4 the AD to arrange the AD flow,music, tea ceremony, march in rehersal etc? Or just talk it on the AD itself?

felixp

Hi Christine > My AD is 21 May =) Counting down.

But have few enquiries, maybe whoever has the ans can share:

- Like wat candy raised, we will just give the CDs containing the songs for 1st March-in, 1st Dish and Montage to hotel and they will play accordingly? For my montage, the songs will not be embedded in the video, so the hotel video/music coordinator will be able to handle everything? For my march-in, I wanna them to que us to start marching only when the lyrics appear, the hotel will also be able to handle everything hoh?
- Where is the venue for the tea ceremony? Same level as the ballroom?
- Any1 have wine consignment? Issit that arrange for the wine to be sent to the hotel directly. How abt after the banquet? We have to deliver on our own or can we arrange for the shop to collect from the hotel directly?
- Do you all rehearse on the AD before the lunch starts to estimate the timing?
- For the montage, do u all test on AD or u will go to the hotel to try on actual day? I am using powerpoint slides, worried that their laptop OS very slow =(
- Do they provide AP box - nice? Need to return after use?
- Their tables are standard size; was just thinking to have 11 guests for some tables.. =)
- For those who had lunch, how many Makeup session u have ah?

Hehes... sorries so many enquiries. Txs! =)

felixp

Anyway from the very detailed information given, seems that dun have to taste the food already know which items to order.. haha, txs! =)

shopaholicjuan

>felix mine is on 12 Mar. I will try to reply some of your questions after I meet Michelle in Feb.

I'm asking for a room to hold my tea ceremony.

My wine consignment is from Winebos. They are sending directly to the hotel 1 day b4 the AD.

My friend is doing the AP box for me.

Yup I also plan to have 11 guests for some tables. Dun think it will be a problem.

I am having only two makeup sessions at the moment. Not sure if I want to have a 3rd. Lol...

felixp

Hi candy > I oso intending to have 2 makeup sessions - 1 in the morning n 1 before the tea ceremony, same as yours? ;)

candycandy001

Felix> I think so. Initially I wan to have 1 morning, and 1 touch up + 2nd hairdo during the 2nd march in, but I guess the MUA thought I wan to do the touch up and 2nd hairdo when I arrived hotel which is b4 tea ceremony... Still thinking, bcos like tat she doesnt need to wait too long. but like tat my whole banquet only have 1 hairdo. My SIL last time hav total 3 hairdo from morning till end of the banquet. but I wondering if I will have the time...

I do the montage in ppt format (in my laptop), haven burnt into CD, not sure can work or not. Ha^^ My bridal shop help me to do the montage for pre-wedding photo liao but they insert 2 songs, I haven hav time to find out the original CD. Ha... somemore I dont know one of the song name. headache... Going to hav trial makeup with my msia MUA. Aihz... lazy lazy

Christine> My AD on 6Mar, earlier than you... Aihz.. maybe I got to ask myself... Anyone know wat is the topup for muslim / veg menu (individual)? My hubby just update me he need this.

troides

Let me know if I missed out anyone's qn.

candy, my coord requested for the AD schedule about 1 week before. We only met the banquet manager on the AD and rehearsal was done then. Haha, tell your hubby to relax. You can tell him to settle the schedule and assign duties to xiong dis. Then the AD will take care of itself.

We used our own songs for 1st march in, 1st dish and 2nd march in. Other songs are from Marriott.

My coord showed me two different menu for muslim food. They also have indian veg, but that's up to chef's choice on the day.

------

christine, sorry no pics yet. PG will send them after CNY
happy.gif

------

felix, for our own songs, we burned into a audio CD. Hotel will play from CD player. You can tell them to start from Nth second. We assigned one of the xiong di in charge of the CD player. CD Player provided by Marriott.

My montage contains video and audio. Hotel will ask you to bring your own laptop to play.

My tea ceremony is in the ballroom, in front of the stage. Btw, my ROM is in the ballroom too.

For wine consignment, it depends on your arrangement with your supplier. We collected 3 days before AD and delivered all our gowns, rom certs etc 2 days before to Marriott. Big big thanks to my coord Christine for saving us the trouble on the AD.

I have two tables sitting 12 pax. You have to inform your coord beforehand. She will need to know if you intend to increase food portions too.

I had 2 makeup sessions
happy.gif
One at home, another after my tea ceremony.

Some of my relatives feedback that the cold snow fungus dessert was too hard. If you are having it, might want to ask kitchen to take note.

We bought 100 pcs of Rocher for cocktail. All finished up
happy.gif
Get them from Watsons, they are cheaper than NTUC, but check out the expiry date.

candycandy001

Lish> Thanks a lot...
Problem is we dont have xiongdi/JM >.<
How to deliver gowns 2days b4 the AD? where will they keep it?

Just to update all of you, I hav collected the card but when I tried to put inside the envelop, I found short of 20pc, now I m waiting for shishi's reply. I only have 8 tables (80pax), short of 20 envelop is a lot to me. Somemore the card is quite long, I cannot use normal envelop..

troides

Candy, we told coord to take note and left our stuff at the concierge.

We didn't experience any inconvenience with hotel, but to be cautious, we didn't put any valuables and sealed the boxes containing wine.

Don't worry about the envelope, I'm sure your coord will help you on it.

I'm lucky to have a bunch of JM to help out. Personally, it is very helpful to have someone by your side on AD. She can help out with the little stuff like, getting water for you, calling MUA if she's late, getting you around in the ladies
happy.gif

felixp

Hi candy > been quiet here... How's your preparation so far?? Next week Cny Liao.. Hehes.. I just finishes my photoshoot on sat, viewing the pics after Cny on 19 feb; just sent out my invites via FB as well... Nuthing much to do for me at the moment... ;))

felixp

Hi Christine > i will be sending smses too, for those without FB or didn't respond via FB. After that then I will send out the actual cards by post or by hand ;) so ur guest list already settled Liao? ;))

ah_faith

Morning people! =)

I'd confirmed most of the things with the hotel le. Just finished sending my wedding invites out and am currently assisting my parents in their invites. Time is running fast for me. This Sunday's my GDL le. Kinda look forward to it. If you girls are doing DIY things, be sure to do it as early as possible coz I still have some DIY stuff left half done and I cant find time to do them at the moment. >.<

felixp

Hi Ahfaith > wah, so fast u GDL... Hehes... Where u get your GDL package? How much u spend ah? Share with us your experience yah ;)

candycandy001

ahfaith> Tat's fast... Jiayou.

Felix> Guestlist really a headache. I sent out the invite via fb (for my JB banquet) but some are slow respond/cannot confirmed at this moment, make me not sure whether shall reserve for them or not. I will be definately increase the table liao. but max can inc 3 tables only, hope can do it within the limit.

shopaholicjuan

>felix yup most of my guests have replied. Hee I also gave out the invites le. Lol..still left my husband's side. ;p

My GDL was done in Jan. Hee do you need any info?

felixp

Candy > Yah I am imagine, alot of my guests oso didnt respond via FB and for those that reponded, they didnt indicate whether they bringing their partner or family =( Cos in my invite I indicated inviting their partner.. But mine is in May, so still have enuff thing to sms them to confirm. Jiayou for you =)

Christine > Yes, wld appreciate your advice!! Wat's your dialect? Mine is teochew while hubby is Hokkien. How do you know wat to prepare for GDL? Your mum or mum-inlaw know? My mum and mum-inlaw says anything oso okay ... did you get any package for the GDL from any shop? Which shop and how much?

Btw, anyone know wat special angpow (other than those APs given to door-opener/ Jiemeis/ Siongdis/ assistants/etc) to prepare for my mum on AD? I heard there is a AP called "nappy" AP given by the couple to the mum for bringing up the daughter... how abt for my inlaws - do we need to prepare any APs for them?? Just wanna have the info in advance =)

ah_faith

Morning!

Candy> Yeah very fast... now less than a month away liaoz... >.<

Felix> I bought my GDL stuff from one Chop Kwang Mee Import &amp; Export shop located along Sago Lane in Chinatown. I paid for my stuff (Hokkien) whereas my hubby paid for his (Cantonese). We bought all the stuff for GDL, AC as well as the combing ceremony. Overall, I spent abt $170 and Hubby spent abt $113? He actually paid a refundable deposit of $130 for two baskets to be used for GDL so upon return the deposit will also be returned. The prices did not include the oranges and pig trotters cans, pillows, blankets, bedsheets etc. I will be buying the pillows and blankets tomorrow after work! So rush but no choice. =\ All these payments snowballed... Abit heartpain...

We were on a shopping frenzy last Sun. Bought about 80% of the necessary stuff and went to Courts to buy a bed frame, mattress (cheapest kind), dressing table, wardrobe and a bedside table for abt $1443. Is it expensive? We bought the cheapest mattress coz it will be passed on to my PIL as we will likely be shifting house this yr end, if my BTO arrives by then =)

For those have not done their GDL, pls ask both side families on what are the normal practice for them. Personally, I did not consult my mom on the practice and I bought the red lacy umbrella, which is a norm for Hokkien brides. My mom said she never heard of it coz she din go through that. I only know about the red umbrella through the shop owner. I din fault him though coz it's his job to tell us everything abt each dialect's practice. It's just that my family dont. Anyway, I am also looking forward to my dad sending me down to the bridal car with the red umbrella. =)

candycandy001

I didnt buy anything fro GDL, only bought teaset + lamp...

Haven bought furniture etc, plan to do it after CNY. Hope everything is alright...

ah faith> I guess $1.4k is reasonable? Not sure, bcos my colleague bought a good mattress (only) cost her $4k. I will go for budget one also as I dont think will move them after I get my flat.

felixp

Hi Ahfaith > Txs! Wah u really prepared alot of things liao! So far my inlaws and mum didnt say anything much =( Will ask them again after CNY. Ur bedst like very worth it!! 1.4k so many things! For me, dun have to buy bed and AC stuff cos we already living together after our rom and already AC when we were moving in.. so one less item (headache) for us. Issit only for hokkien that the dad need bring the bride down in a red umbrella. Mine is single parent family, hehes, dun think my mum will walk me down ... =)

Hi Candy > U not intending to buy or havent bought the GDL stuff yet?? How good if dun need to have =( ...

ah_faith

Candy> I thought 1.4k was quite a good pricing, which we paid by installments. But just never thought we will end up buying the entire set of furniture when we only intended to buy the mattress for AC purpose. But we're happy with the buy in the end. =D We will also be investing abit more money on a better mattress (which we aim abt $2k+, sealy brand)... So now only bought the cheapest in Courts, $299 nia. haha!

Felix> According to the uncle @ the GDL shop and my own research, Hokkien brides will be sheltered from void deck to the bridal car. The red umbrella is used to ward off evil / bad things... At present, I have not ask whether my dad dares to walk me with the red, lacy umbrella or not hahaha! But I'll force him to do so. Btw, you may ask ur hubby or any male relative to walk you to the bridal car also can I heard. But nevertheless, this red umbrella thingy depends on individual Hokkien family. =\ You're so lucky, did AC so early... Should concentrate on ur own DIY stuff, guest list, songs list etc etc... these little things really can take up lots of your time!

candycandy001

Felix> I have no intention to do GDL n also don know wat to prepare but my mil did give me a GDL date. I suppose she will do it.. bride side doesnt need to prepare anything, right?

felixp

Hi Candy > On the day of GDL, from wat I know, your inlaw need to prepare some stuff in a wedding basket, like:
- Wedding Cakes (if required by bride's side for distribution to relatives) &amp; Peanut candies
- 2 bottles of Brandy + 6 tins x canned pork legs
- Oranges (in wedding basket)
- 2 pairs of dragon &amp; phoenix candles
- 4-piece jewellery (Teochew) or Dragon and Phoenix bracelet (Cantonese)
- Pin Jin in a red packet

and bring over to the bride's parents' place to present to the bride. And the bride's side will then return the basket containing stuff like:
- 2 bottles of orange syrup to replace the 2 brandy
- Returned 2 phoenix candles (Groom and Bride to light candles on the morning of the wedding day)
- Red packet for the parents to buy shoes, towels to the parents, grandparent, uncles, aunties and siblings
- Even numbered portion of the Pin Jin will be returned in the red packet. (eg if the groom gives $3,888, then the bride may return $888)

I gathered this from some website. But the actual items differed depending on your parents/inlaws' requirements and dialect. =)Ahfaith shared that she and her hubby spent abt $300+ buying the stuff, excluding the canned pig trotter and $130 for renting 2 baskets. Gotta chck with your mum inlaw if she intend to do the traditional stuff, ie. exchange the items above.

Also, there is the å«å¦†, which may includes the following:
- Beddings such as pillows, bolsters, comforter set, blankets, bed sheets, etc.(all to be tied with red ribbons)
- New clothes in a suitcase for the bride
- Tea-set for the wedding tea ceremony, baby bathtub, potty, face washbasin, tumblers, toothpaste and toothbrushes, mirror, comb, two pairs of red wooden clogs wedding slippers or bedroom slippers, sewing basket with even numbered rolls of colourful thread, needles, pincushion, scissors, and sewing wax with auspicious words on it
- Gold jewellery given by bride's parents.

Ahfaith > Is the å«å¦† given on the GDL day as well or separately by the bride's side?

Hi Eileen > Yes, i think currently they only have 3 themes:
- Enchanted Elegance
- Pure Bliss (White &amp; Blue)
- Oriental Charm (Red)

felixp

Btw, having say the above, I think i wont follow strictly and have all the above items, maybe only the main items bah.. (I hope!!)

shopaholicjuan

>felix What I did was ask my mum what she wanted for GDL. My husband did the same. Then both sides met up to confirm the stuff. Lol..

This is what I had:
His side:
-20 oranges
-20 cans of pig trotters
-2 sets of dragon and phoenix candles
-2 bottles of wine
-10 sets of cake vouchers
-2 boxes of Cantonese xi bing
-Pin Jin

My side:
-Towels
-2 bottles of orange squash

My mum returned part of the stuff they gave.

Main thing is both sides must be happy with what they are giving and recieving I guess. I have no idea what to do with the candles manz..cos we are Christians. Guess his dad will light them on our AD. ;p

I am not very sure how much we spent in total cos my husband was the one who saw to the prep.

candycandy001

Felix, Christine> Thanks... I think everything will go simple. Most probably return stuff (certain portion)from what they give. For å«å¦†, I only bought teaset. Bedding shall decide later after we bought the bed (not sure is Q or K size)...

CNY soon, enjoy ya!

felixp

Hi Christine &amp; Candy > txs for sharing! I hope to keep my GDL simple and chop chop too!! I hope my mum n inlaws will not be so demanding ;(

Wishing all a happy Chinese new year &amp; ç¥å¤§å®¶å…”飞猛进!!!

ah_faith

Felix &amp; Christine, That's a comprehensive list for GDL! Anyway, just to update u girls on my GDL last week: -
Hubby came with 2 brothers and an aunt, they brought 2 baskets containing 18 mandarin oranges, 18 cans of pig trotters, 18 packets of peanut candies, a pack each of red, green bean and some other stuff which I cant remember now, pin jing in 1 red packet (cannot fold the notes), 3 dian jin, 2 bottles of Martell and the Bengawang Solo cake vouchers, 2 sets of dragon phoenix candles (if my memory doesnt fail me, that should be all)....

In return, I gave:
1 baby shower tub, red tray, 2 mugs, baby stool tub, 2 toothbrushes, 1 toothpaste, 2 F&amp;N orange drinks, 9 mandarin oranges, 9 peanut candies, 9 cans of pig trotters, 2 bedside lamps, 1 bedsheet, 1 quilt in its sheet wrapping 2 pillow with its cases and the remaining bedsheets (tied up with red ribbons), 1 pants and 1 belt for hubby, 2 ang baos for PIL, 1 red ruler, 1 comb, 1 tea set, 1 set of dragon phoenix candles and some pin jing back. My mom also gave an ang bao each to hubby and his helpers.

Asked one of the brothers to take photos of the GDL but he had yet to pass me the softcopies. Overall, it was done within 1/2 an hour. =)

Anyway, it's nearing CNY le and I also wish everyone here smooth planning for your wedding and have a great and wealthy Chinese New Year!~ =)

candycandy001

Hi, how are you doing? Happy CNY^^

I am going to do finalisation this coming Sunday with shishi, actually I dont really know what is next now >.< A bit 'ganjiong' but dont know wat to 'ganjiong' about. Ha

ah_faith

Hi Candy! Happy CNY to you too!

Perhaps can start to source for buffet catering for the morning session? Also, can start packing the ang baos for your helpers on ur AD. Arrange for meet up with ur VG/PG on the timing and style u want for ur AD. So far, that's what I am doing these few days..

candycandy001

ah faith> Thanks... but I dont have buffet catering for morning session, a bit rush for me as mine is wedding lunch. We planned to reach hotel ard 10am, then 11am will start rehearsal, 12pm tea ceremony... My PG also intend to meet us up but my hubby is very busy (ipt recently &amp; was called back to reservist next wk). I also dont know what style, just wan 'clear' &amp; 'sharp' pictures for the precious moment... For helpers angbao (although I dont think will have much helpers, ha^^), I bought 2 cuties wedding angbao package...

Have you choose the wedding favour, table cloth, cake, etc? I went finalisation ytd, ha... so many things to do, for dishes we also anyhow choose, but mainly 'follow' the recommendation from this forum. Ha...

ah_faith

Candy> Yes chosen the favour, and everything else from the hotel. Think the dishes cant be that bad de just that my in-laws are more picky in nature. Rest assured that their food portions are pretty huge. =)

troides

Candy, share my experience.. my PG was jovial and great in taking people shots. My AD photos are full of smiling faces, but he neglected to take the details like bride's shoes, tea set, reception table arrangement, the little touches that we spent effort on. My fault, cos we didn't communicate what we wanted before AD.

I don't want to sound too stern
happy.gif
, but if we can communicate our wants to the PG, there's less chances for regrets. 加油!

felixp

Hi all > long time since I post here... ;) Michelle has just contacted me to confirm the favours, wedding cards, etc.. 3 mths away from my AD (21 may) but now feeling super nua... However, still hope to confirm the GDL date, favours, cards, invitee listing, emcees, wine consignment in mar so that will have extra time in apr and may settle other stuff...

Ahfaith &amp; Christine > Txs for sharing ur GDL items, just told my mum to keep things simple and she agreed to ask only for cans of pig legs, liquour, teochew candies, 四点金 and pinjin, and in return I told her I do not want so many things, only
1set bedsheet... I hope she will abide by Wat she agreed till my GDL date ;))

To those whose weddings are just round the corner >> all the best! Stay happy and be beautiful brides ;))

candycandy001

Felix (felixp) > I dont even have 四点金, ha... 2 more wks to go for my AD...

My friend went thr the food tasting, he said super big portion and the mango pudding is super delicous, anyone try? Too bad my menu dont have mango pudding