Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa

merchelle

ermmm.. strange lei.. yest i typed a long long message here to share and reply message to some of u.. don know wat happen.. the message was gone lei...

lazy to retype liao.. hahaha...

hallie

Metta,

Once again congrats! Enjoy ur honeymoon.
Do share with us ur experience with Rasa when u r back.

Sleepsleep,
r u still there?? So have Perry got back to u regarding ur tentatively booking???

Dazed/Bride's--Congrats!

racherlle

hi charmaine!

from wat i heard from my co-ordinator the tentative date of the wedding show is on the 20th March 2005 (Sunday)..
happy.gif
she will let me noe when it's confirmed..
happy.gif

sleepysleep

hi metta
enjoy ur honeymoon!

hi rach,
ooh actually he didnt call or email me back..
i am also very bz with my wk @ the moment =| so taking a 'rest' of wedding info hunting hehee
not sure if my tentative booking had been release or not..

racherlle

hi sleepsleep..

did he confirm w u that he had tentatively book the date for u??? if he did, then if there is someone who is interested, he will give u a call before he release the date.. dun worrie
happy.gif

little_woman

Hi racherlle,

Thks for informing me. My AD is 23 Sep'05. Thinking of waiting till the Bridal Show to book but worry someone will take up that date... Actually I have went down to see one of the co-ord already but have not really neg for the perks loh. Maybe need to do wat sleepysleep do - doa tentatively booking...

racherlle

hi Charmaine!

i also did my tentative booking already.. mine is in May 2006! very KS ah hehe
wait for the bridal show then negotiate hard!
happy.gif

smilez_bride

Hi dazed, I'm still busy with the prep.. so I seldom come to this thread already.. my pick-up points are Jurong East, Yishun & Bedok.
North, East, West.. 1 coach each.. How's your prep too? Hopefully I can get everything done by this weekend.. getting excited.. really very fast and it's going to be our turn soon!!!!
happy.gif

bennysmurf

Hi people,
I just had my food tasting at Rasa Sentosa yesterday night.
I have heard the veterans here praising the standard of the banquet dinner. Well they are right!
biggrin.gif

The cod fish was our favourite: Very fresh and well cooked; The butter prawns were very fragrant, fresh and crunchy as well; The steamed chicken cooked with herbs was pretty good as well. The herbal smell was not too strong; The shark's fin was just right, not too gluey and starchy.

One pleasant surprise at the dinner was the large portions of all the dishes, especially the butter prawns and cod fish. The chef promised that the portions would be the same during the actual dinner as well, as they have a fixed amount for each table.

On the other hand, we felt that the sea cucumbers were not evenly cooked and some parts were not cleaned properly. The chef explained that the suppliers were the ones who would clean them and the hotel only did the cutting and cooking. We also felt that the jellyfish strands in the appetiser was too rubbery and bland, so changed to baby squids instead.

Overall we, even our parents (who did not really like our choice of hotel), were bowled over and even applauded the chef. We only hope that the standard of the dishes will be as good on our AD 26th June 2005 at the Pavillion.

Thumbs up to Rasa Sentosa and our coordinator Cathy!!!!
proud.gif

hallie

Hello Smurf,

so glad to hear tt the food is good...so u didnt choose the garoupa?? is the cod fish portion big enough for 10 persons? How abt the dessert? Did u get the sweetened red bean cream as in menu B? as for the sea cucumbers, did u decide to change todried scallops (menu A) instead??

Racherlle & all ,
Happy New Year!!!

hallie

hi bride/dazed,
wat time is ur pick-up time for ur frens & relatives? R u having any solemnisation b4 the dinner? Can i say that u will provide the same buses to send ur relatives & frens back to the destinated locations after the dinner?

Happy preparating! Once again, gong xi gong xi!

bennysmurf

Hello Hallie,
I upgraded to the cod fish. Our reasoning was that we felt that live sea bass or garoupa would be more common compared to the cod fish. You can rest assured that the portion is big enough for 10 persons. We did not have an easy time finishing the cod fish.

I 4got to mention that we chose yam paste as we are Teochews. No extra charge. As the chef is a Cantonese chef, the yam paste is more fluid/watery than the Teochew-styled ones we are accustomed to eating. Nevertheless we still liked it cos it did not have too much starch to make one sick of eating. So we stuck to yam paste even though the chef's speciality lies in other desserts such as red bean cream.

In addition, we still stuck to the sea cucumbers cos it was more expensive compared to dried scallops
wink.gif
. We simply asked the chef to cook it more evenly.

To answer yr question to dazed, the buses provided by Rasa is two-way. That is, they will transport your guests to and from the pick-up location. Take note that the buses leave Rasa Sentosa around 11pm. If the wedding is pushed back, you have to pay extra for each bus to stay longer. Not sure if you can ask for the buses to arrive earlier.

sleepysleep

hi all,
happy new year! =) hope everything will be better this year..

hi Charmaine
erm what do u mean by 'doa' in doa tentative booking?

hi rachelle,
erm we confirm via email for the tentative booking but during the meetup he mention will hold till dec 20th? but will give me a call to confirm my booking else will be release..
till now he havent call me so i am not sure if my tentative booking had been release already or not..

racherlle

hi smurf!

glad to hear that u enjoyed ur food tasting!
hehe hopefully it will be good for ur AD too!
happy.gif
oh ya btw how many tables are u having??

hi sleepsleep!
hmmmm my co-ordinator did not mention that there is any due date for the tentative booking.. she juz said that she will hold on for me til the wedding show which she noes i will sign up
happy.gif

hmmmm dun worrie.. tink ur date shld be still blocked.. unless someone wans the date..

bennysmurf

Hi racherlle,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL!!
I will be having at least 35 tables. Most likely will hit 40 tables. That is why we chose Siloso ballroom over Pavilion.
I see that you have made a tentative booking. Once the hotel package for the bridal show come out, go down and sign ASAP. I was the first one to confirm my booking during last year's Bridal Show in March, before the whole event even started!
biggrin.gif

hallie

hi smurf,

do u need to pay extra for the upgrade to codfish? I thought codfish is available in the other weekend menu? har...buses leave at 11pm? quite late hor..afraid tt the guests might not be too happy..esp those tt like to go off as soon as they finz their desserts....(has seen many cases of early leaving guests)

btw, how will ur march in be?? the short one or r u able to do a longer march-in?

sleepsleep,
i guess he will hold the booking lah....

Racherlle/sleepsleep,
wo men yao chen dao wedding show!!!! three more mths to go....endure!!!!!!!! ;p

racherlle

hi smurf!
wahhhhhh u are really fast ah! before the whole event started u signed up already!! hehe :p

hi hallie!
yaaaaaaa muz DONG!! hehehe
hopefully we can all see each other at the wedding show and able to book the dates that we wanted!
happy.gif

phine

Hi all,

Happy New Year to all of you!!!

I just booked my AD with rasa last mth and it is only today then i have the time to read thru what have been discussed. Need to check with someone on the following:

1)Is it true that the white lawn will be gone after the renovation? (intend to have my solemnization at that area, so dunno where the new place will be if it is gone...
sad.gif
)

2)Any1 with any idea on when can we place our booking for the wedding show?

hallie

hello phine,

u mean u have already confirmed with rasa or u had just placed a tentative booking ? when is ur AD?

from wat i know, the white fence area will be gone, but not sure abt the lawn area.

merchelle

Hi Rachelle,

Yeah, 18 Dec was mine.. everything went simply just fine! not to mention, the credits goes to Elaine, Ricky (the banquet manager) i guessed, and of coz the rest of the Rasa staffs.

Just wanna share some things with u ladies. The food was delicious according to my guests, esp the first dish, all my guests were pretty surpirse and commented how special on that. The shark fins were WOW! Clear and 'long' fins were seen, u know lah, some other resturant or hotels shark fins were like so watery and 'fake'! hahaha... The red wine were simply excellent too. My guests finished the first carton of wine, right after the 4th dish! end up, we have to open the 2nd carton. Initally, we were so worried that the red wine were those cheapo ones. hahaha.. but, feedbacks were gd on red wine. It was worth it to get the red wine from Rasa, though was quite expensive.

Service were gd! my colleague was spilled with red wine by one the waiter. End up, Ricky (the banquet supervisor) went up personally to my colleague, and apologised immediately with a new bottle of champange and afford to dry wash or clean my colleague's shirt and in return provide him with another shirt while they settled on my colleague's spilled shirt. Right after the next day, they actually self delivered the clean shirt to my colleague's hse. Was amazing!
No regrets in choosing Rasa! Well Done!!!

racherlle

hi phine!

hmmm the date of the wedding show is not confirmed yet.. it is only tentatively set on 20th March 2005.. once i get the news from my co-ordinator as to when we can start booking, i will let u gals noe!
happy.gif

hi merchelle!
hmmmm glad that u had great service tat day!
happy.gif

oh ya btw the red wine u used was the house wine rite? at 24+++ per bottle rite? gdgd.. since it's great hehee
happy.gif
i'm planning to get from Rasa too.. save the hassle..

merchelle

Yo Racherlle,

yeah! was 24+++, the name donnoe wat Ridge lah. very nice.. hehehe.. yes i agree with u to save the hassle. coz since their corkage fee was the same price if we bring in outside wine. So we save the trouble in getting from them. Ours was red and white wine served. but end up only 1 bottle of white being opened. hehehehe..

hallie

hi merchelle,

so glad to hear ur good comments abt rasa. but how abt the transport? did ur guests hv any difficulty coming to rasa & leaving? i'm very worried abt this transport issue..
did u also hv ur solemnisation there?

merchelle

Hi Hallie,
Transport is a killer at the first place. Coz my dad gave me alot of preasure telling me, how ple go in.. carpark so far.. blar blar blar..

Nevertheless, Rasa provides us with 3 exclusive coaches at 3 different locations and after dinner to drive back to the pick up locations. (ps: one coach at one location only). So we place @ Tiong Bahru link, Jurong MRT and City Hall the capitol buidling there. Then also inform guests that they can actually take the Rasa Shagri-la bus @ SPI building (next to Harbour Front). All exclusive coaches will have a sign 'Wedding of (name of couples)'. As for the Rasa bus, all ur guests have to do is to show them the inviation card and they will allow u to take the bus.

For those drive in guests(only cars, NO MOTORBIKES r allowed), carpass will be provided. BUT they will have to bring along the carpass and their inviation card to show the gateway ple. Map will be provided to them at the gateway too. B4 hand, we told our guests that its a MUST to park cars at the Gateway carpark. NO LOTS at the hotels. Its a killer too when ur guests will start showing their unwilling faces like-HUH!!!! park at one place and then need to take shuttle bus again!?! but bo bians lor.. have to do that. Wat we did, is give prioity to immediate families and relatives for the carpass. Then left over for friends and colleagues. End up, we still have 20+ left over.
I heard from one of colleague, then manage to park their car at the staffs carpark. Which is surprise lor.. but nevertheless, feedbacks were gd lor. Heng lor. coz most of my guests were telling us,'Chey! thought very difficult to get in, but very easy lei'. HENG sia!

Don worry Hallie, u can always seek assistance from ur co-ordinator. I always bug on Elaine for that. hehehehe.... Lucky, she very patient.

As for solemnisation, nope, we didnt do that lah.

racherlle

hi merchelle!

yup the cost of the banquet!
did u managed to break even?

ok great to hear that logistically it's still ok.. hmmmm pretty worried for drive-ins too.. tink i will let my frends noe that it's more practical to take the bus in..
happy.gif

merchelle

Yo Racherlle,
if i did not mis-interpret on wat u meant. no lah. both my hubby and i shared the cost only. Relatives hong baos to our parents also being throw into the cost..

little_woman

Hi,

Me back! Happy New Year!!! I was out of Singapore for a few days.

Racherlle,
We are the Kiasu type huh? hee hee.. Book in advance. But one thing-I called Rasa last week n learnt that they only reserved the date slot for any couple for only a week. Wonder wat they do after that??? Cancelled our reservation?

Sleepysleep,
I type too fast. It should be "do a tentatively booking".

Smurf,
Is your menu for weekday or weekend? Saw that the dishes on the menu for weekday are a bit ordinary. So wonder if they taste good too just as smurf describes? Mine is on weekday.

racherlle

hi merchelle..
hmmm okie.. guess u breakeven then..
happy.gif

hi Charmaine!
ohh welcome back!
happy.gif

where did u go?? enjoyed urself???
hmmm dun tink they will cancel our reservation..
tink they are juz trying to get u to sign lar.. hehe

phine

hi hallie,
i oreadi book my big day with rasa. AD on Nov 6, 2005. I guess there is a lot to prepare but guess what, i haven did a single preparation beside booking my day with rasa....

when's urs?

metta

Hi ladies,
back from my trip. just a short one to Bangkok for now. very sad abt the tsunami thing. we nearly booked a trip to sri lanka, you know..

well, the banquet captain for my dinner took alot of initiative to update us very often. And he even told us where are the empty seats so that we can fill up those spaces. Saved us from opening a reserve table. Music etc went well & food was fresh too! Maybe it was christmas eve, Rasa was so kind to throw in a free night's stay and we offered it as a lucky draw for our guests. Well, we made 1 guest very happy!!

Some feedback from my guests: Tell the waiters to wait till the wine glass is empty, before changing to another glass. Not to hold bottle and pour freely!! I have conveyed this to the coordinators but apparently, the waiters still pour from bottle in front of guests, even though the guest already had enough wine! So wasted my wine (i had to open 7 more bottles!) This is 1 of my complaints lar. And the other thing is, make sure there is someone to guide the guests to the cocktail lawn when they alight from the buses. My guests didn't really know where to go and there were so many of them at the same time (cos' all buses arrived abt same time). Need better coordination here.

A few of my guests were so blurr.They parked their car at the Gateway carpark, but when going home, they forgot to alight from the coach at the carpark and went all the way back to Aljunied on the bus! Some took the wrong bus home. 1 neighbour missed the bus timing and decided not to attend the wedding. I do feel quite sorry abt it..

Anyway, overall, we say Rasa has been fantastic and we are very satisfied!

hallie

Merchelle,

wat time did u set for the coach to pick-up ur guests? did u arrange anyone there to guide the guests up the coach? r the coaches able to park at the destinated places to wait for ur guests or they just come at ur destinated time, pick n go?

hi phine,

mine is in early 2006. Actually i oso hv yet to confirm anything. at least u secured the venue mah...one thing off ur mind to worry. how is ur package? which ballroom r u taking?

as for me, i just kept searching n searching... hahaha...more or less will take up Rasa. waiting for the wedding show...;p Have seen quite a number of bridal studio, but yet to confirm one. ;p but my mind already set on one of the BS . ....now trying to search for AD photograhers n videograhers... v tough job!! how abt u??

Welcome back Metta,
How did ur march-in go? is it like wat u said the other time, u march in with ur dad from the right door n ur hubby from the left door, then meet in the centre? did u do a rehearsal b4 the actual dinner commences? how much beer n wine did ur guests consumed? able to break-even ? which photograher n videograher did u use?? how's ur comments on them?

metta

Hallie,
we did an 's' shape marchin together from left door cos' not enough space! disappointed but no choice lar. i had 41 tables including 2 reserves. So there were 16 tables on the left side and the rest on the right side. still find march-in too short, hee hee...

no time to rehearse cos' i was doing makeup. and i went to join in the cocktail for a while before rushing up to change into my WG. Got stopped by alot of relatives along the way (asking me for directions to the lawn lar), so my ah yee had to drag me away..

we had abt 42 bottles of wine and there were excess beer left. I think abt 30 litres were consumed only.

No, i 'lost' abt $10k. very sad hor.. sigh... make sure u invite lots & lots of friends and colleagues. they helped to make up a big bulk of the angpaos. i really appreciate these friends for turning up at my wedding. especially on Xmas Eve somemore..

Photographer was provided by my BS. Video was done by a friend. so can't comment much. But make sure your photographer is someone who is smiley and takes initiative to organise the table photography. Mine was quite grouchy. I didn't enjoy having him at all. And I think young photographers are more spontaneous and creative.

bennysmurf

Hi gals,
srry been busy for the past few days.

Racherlle,
i had no choice leh. I had to leave before the show started cos I kena reservist mobilisation that day. So suay right? We scared our AD kena choped by someone else so we quickly made the booking. By the time, I went back to Rasa after my reservist, only can eat leftover food.
lame.gif

Hallie and Charmaine,
to answer your question, my AD is on a Sunday. As you know, sunday is considered a weekday at Rasa, so I got the weekday menu. However, we saw the weekday menu quite inferior to the weekend one. So we changed all the dishes to the weekend Menu B. Have to pay extra $30 for the codfish (even for food-tasting) but we felt it was worth it.

You are right to be concerned about early leaving guest. To be honest I have not thought about it yet...

We will most likely adopt a short, y-shaped entrance. My wife at one end, my dad-in-law at the other. Me? Some secret place lah...
biggrin.gif

Siao Cha Boh,
glad that everything turned out well for yr AD. Hope the same for mine too!

Metta,
thanks for the advice!

racherlle

hi smurf!

oh didn't noe u were a guy! got mobilised at tat kind of time??! definitely very sian rite?
happy.gif

hmmm so u changed all ur dishes from weekdays to weekends.. hw much extra do u have to pay?? other than the extra $30 bucks for the codfish?

Metta! u lost 10k??
geez! i'm juz hoping to lose ard 2-3k.. hopefully not as much as 10k! hmmm tink muz budget for more losses.. btw metta.. i'm only inviting my close friends and relatives.. so tat comes to abt 25 tables already.. not including those distant relatives.. hehe i wan to make sure i noe everyone from each table! not some pple tat i huh? hehe
happy.gif

merchelle

Hi Hallie,

We arranged 3 time slots at 3 different locations, 2 @ 5.30pm and 1 @ 6pm. Nope, I did not arrange anyone there to guide the guests up the coach. Coz we draft out our own map and print out using our own printers in chinese and english version and slot in the inviation cards. So guests just follows exactly the map. We also given Elaine (Rasa Co-ordinator) to give it to the destinated coach driver, so they know where to wait. Yes, coaches are able to park at the destinated places PROVIDED its agreeable with ur co-ordinator. As not all places can cater to allow coaches to wait. Coaches will wait for 15 mins b4 setting off to hotels. So time arrangement very impt. U must announce to ur guests to be early. For my case, i arrange the bus to be there at 5.30pm, so we told our guests to be there as early as 5.15pm. U missed the bus, that's it. hehehe... very bad hor. but it works lor!hehehehe....

Hi Smuf,
Don worry... things will go smoothly. Don manage everything to urself. Distribute out things to ur helpers. Wat i did, is arrange everything, then brief my main co-ordinator. Then whole day, we sit back and relex. Hahahahaha... Most importantly, intro ur main co-ordinator to the hotel co-ordinator. They will guide ur main co-ordinator. Hehehehe...

Hi Metta!
GODDNESS! 10K was alot! It must be very hard for u. I can understand. I guessed it must be the wine that cost u so much. Me very 'kiam siamp' lah. me control the wine and all alcoholic drinks. Hehehe.. NO NO serving throughout the cocktail. And instructed them to start serving only when first dish was served. And also instructed them which table to control on drinks. very bad of us i know. But that's the only way to save cost. U know lah, some of the ple will give budget hong baos (which we understand), as long as they are here to share the occassion with us, we already thank god liao. Not that we being calculative lah. But this kind of thing, really bo bians one mah rite. hehehehe...

bennysmurf

Hi Racherlle,
being a male singapore citizen is definitely not easy...sigh..
All dishes is swappable between the weekday and weekend menus at no extra charge, execept the fish.

metta

merchelle,hallie,
we lost out on the relative side, cos' alot came with their children. (and more than half the total tables are for relatives). and my parents kept most of their angpaos (we gave them abt 11 tables in all). so loogi loogi lar. heart pain of course, but what to do.. don't think so much lor.. as long as both sides are happy.

hallie

Metta,
actually i think its normal to lose more when u invite more relatives. The other time i told my mum "sure to lugi if invite alot of relatives", after tt kanna alot of scolding....but its true lah. I hv tentatively 45 tables n more than half r relatives, so i expected a definite BIG BIG LOSS!!!!!! :'( No choice lah, as long as everyone is happy then ok lor......Once in a Lifetime thing mah! Cannot imagine mine, so must try to save up on the alcoholic beverages.

btw, y didnt u march in from the right door(furtherest door)? it seems a longer march-in if come in from tt door leh.

Merchelle,
Wow 5.30pm seems quite early hor? wat time does ur guests taking coaches arrive at Rasa? Wat time did ur dinner start & end? So how was ur beer & wine consumption tt nite? which AD photographer & videographer did u use? Any comments?? (Pardon me, as I'm doing my research on those two impt ppl).;p

merchelle

Hi Hallie,

Yes 5.30pm was indeed early. But bo bians lor. Coz 5.30pm was for location for Jurong Side. 6pm for both tiong bahru and City hall side. All of them reached around 6.30-6.45pm. My dinner started at 8pm and ends at 10.45pm. Initally our dinner can actually starts at 7.45pm, but due to one table of colleague were late, so wait till they reach then we start.
happy.gif

Wine consumption were very gd! but we stick to most 2 cartons. As for beers, we have left over aroung 8 glasses. After the whole dinner, the hotel actually help us to have all the drinks brought up to our bridal suite. Have a small party lah. But end up, every1 were so tired and after counting $, Zzzzz liao.. hehehehe....

We did not enage any videograpgher. Ask my colleague and friends to help up to take instead. Save cost lah.. hehehe... as for Photograpgher, we hired Kalyedoscope to do the shots for us. Simply loved it! very nice and well taken! hehehehe..u can view his thread at the AD photography there.
happy.gif

little_woman

Hi Racherlle,

I went Bangkok for a short tour to relax relax. Too much things to think n worry...

Metta, actually my hubby n i r expecting the same amt of loss ie $10K from the banquet cos my in-laws have lots of relatives. We dun thk their ang baos can cover the cost per table. Btu wat to do... sigh...

Did anyone try the dishes from the weekday menu? How was it?

hallie

hi merchelle,

forgot to ask u ...did u confirmed with ur guests whether will they be taking the coaches when u gave out ur invitation cards??

merchelle

Hi Hallie,

Infact not really that we asked them. As mentioned, we gave carpass and coaches maps prioity to all immediate families and relatives. Thus, agar agar we know its more than enough.

hallie

merchelle,

wat im afraid is tt there might be situations where no one take the coach or maybe oni a few ppl taking ;p maybe i think too much liao hor, too worried abt the coach.

merchelle

Hi Hallie,

I was like u b4 the wedding. But come to think of it, seems that i cant fullfill every1 needs. Thus, as long as its already cater coaches for my guests, don care liao whether do they take the bus anot. hehehehe...

hallie

merchelle,
actually u r rite! worry so much will oni make things difficult for ourselves. as long as we already do our part n take care of the transport shd be enough lah...;p

phine

hi hallie,

sorry for the late reply. was rather bz with my work ah. no time for any preparation yet. me looking at 35 tbls so have oreadi book the siloso. but for BS have oreadi sort of decide one oreadi. which BS you thinking of and are you having your solemnization on the same day? so many things to decide but duno which wan to do first.

metta and merchelle, congrats to both of you!! was it difficult to organise the transport for ur guests? if the dnr end late then will the bus driver wait for them a not? mi think of the transport, head pain oreadi. but no choice...like the place too much...heehe...

hallie

Phine,

its ok lah. i intend to sign up with Wedding News. Which BS u decided on? Most likely will have my solemnisation on the same day. u?

yah lor....seems like trying to search for a needle in the deep deep se....*sigh* I'm trying to look out for photographers & videographers now......another big big headache!