Raffles Town Club

esther

Hi SL,

Yupe, i have paid the deposit...tried to negotiate a lower deposit (S$5000 is very high!) but Gary said it was not negotiable.

Personally, i think the styrofoam names r ok but understand that it's passe.....i am still on the lookout now 4 any other interesting decor 4 the stage.........

S

sl

Hi Esther

We too are on a lookout for something interesting for the stage. Do keep in touch. All the best in your preparations!

BTW which package did you opt for? Also, did you ask about parking, as well as, your wedding dinner cards?

O

open-eyed

Hi esther,

I've booked RTC too for my wedding in Aug 2001. It's a tea reception. Although, I don't know if the service for buffet will be attentive, it really seems to be a memorable place for my wedding. I'm wonder anyone experienced any hiccups working with them? The manager (Gary) seems so busy all the time, i wonder if he'll be definitely there to work out the last-minute arrangements on the actual day.

esther

Hi SL & open-eyed,

We booked the weekend package @S$568+++ per table (Pearl package?)....due to budget constraints plus may be hosting 45-50 tables....very "siong".... :p

Yeah...letz keep in touch on any new & interesting ideas 4 our BIG night......Gary seems accomodating on the invitation cards & car-park coupons although all these discussions were not added into the contract coz he said these r small matters....

open-eyed, i agree tat Gary always seem flustered & busy but when u hav his full attention he is very easy to talk to......sorry, so far haven't received or heard any comments abt the food & overall svc level....so can't comment.....hopefully some1 can post more comments after this........

C

chin leng

Hi Esther,

You may suggest to Gary to add the discussion points that were not included in the contract in a separate memo and he can counter-sign the memo. This would avoid any misunderstanding or miscommunication in future. Of cousre, you'll keep a copy of the memo too.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

esther

Hi Chin Leng,

Thx 4 your advice.....will see abt doing that but we've already signed the contract & Gary said he'll contact us few months later (dunno when will that be).

When do u think we should next meet up then?? since my wedding will be on 11/11/2001?? & what should we discuss during this next meeting??

C

chin leng

Hi Esther,

You are welcome! :)

Each coordinator has their own schedule to work with so I can't really advise when you should next meet up. However, I can share with you my experience.

The following are the few things I did:
1. Collected wedding invitation cards 3 months prior to wedding.
2. Had food tasting 2 months before wedding.
3. Discussed wedding deco 1 month before wedding.
4. Final confirmation on number of tables 1 week before wedding (I think!).

Anyone else has a different schedule?

Regards,
Chin Leng.

joyce

Hi all.. just want to share my experience of Raffles Town Club. Just attended a dinner at the Dunearn ballroom on Sat, 5th may.

1. The foyer area is nice and spacious. Toilets are conveniently positioned nearby.

2. BAllroom kinda dark during the march in.. coz there was no light control i guess.

3. ballroom reminds me of regent's. mood lighting.

4. the food was so so, some nice and some not so. the garouper was boiled , instead of steamed.. the dessert was interesting though, a 2 course dessert served at the same time, one chilled, one pastry like.

5. the slide presentation was done on a very nice big screen. Big enough for all to view it comfortably i think.

6. The food was served rather slowly... it was not till 10.45 that all the food was served. The waiters took their own sweet time to serve. many frequent changes to plates, glasses of wine and tea constantly refilled. there did not seem to have any system of a waiter to a table, every course seemed to have been served by a different waiter/waitress.

7. wine was diluted.

8. parking space was more than adequate, coz there are 3 levels of parking. It seems that the entire B3 was reserved for guests.

9. cutlery was beautiful and the ballroom looks good with white seat covers.

10. the stage was kind of small

11. the backdrop was unimaginative.. typical red backdrop and gaudy lettering in styrofoam

12. fake flowers for the topiaries lining the aisle, which was short.

13. Thought that the set up for the VIP table looked good, nice gold ribbon behind each chair.

hope anyone thinking of holding their wedding there will find this useful

S

sl

Hi Esther & open-eyed

Are u following the events unfolding @ RTC? Nervous?

esther

Hi SL,

If u r referring to the lawsuit between the shareholders...well...no..i din really follow closely on it. Dun tink it will affect my wedding dinner which is gonna b in Sep'2001.

Joyce,
Thx very much 4 ur detailed feedback!!! Tis is really wat i need. One point of difference is tat i tink my contract states fresh flowers for the topiaries lining the aisle (there shld b six). May i check with u whether RTC is still giving the chocolates in a box?? As a guest, wat do u tink of the presentation? Cos as i remember correctly, there r a few pieces of chocolates kept loose in the box...If u hav any other suggestions....wld appreciate them 2!!!

joyce

Oh yes!! The chocolates were delicious!! I consumed so many of them! :) The presentation was lousy , yup. it was loose in the box. But they tasted yummy! :)

esther

Funny....tot i posted somethin but it went missing...juz in case, i'm doing it again....

Thx joyce.....it's a relief to know tat at least the chocolates r yummy!!!

jane

Hi, Joyce

knew that u had provided really useful info on RTC , thanz. I be holding my Weddin there 2, juz wan 2 ask on ur comment on whether there was the signage or indication was clear for guests who r attendin the wedding? Did u lose your way or find it confusing 2 go Dunearn Ballroom?

joyce

Well.. I drove there. Told by the man at the entrance that I had to park at B3 and was given a slip of paper that advised that I should park at Green Zone of Level B3 and take the lift to level 1. Very good directions. However, some of the guests did not take a look at the slip of paper, so they parked at various other locations and therefore found it difficult to access Dunearn Ballroom. I suggest that you ask for those slips of paper beforehand and slip them into the invitation cards.

esther

Hi Joyce,

Thx for the tip! Gonna take note of the direction slip too!!!
happy.gif

S

sl

Hi Joyce

How was the music that night ... cld the music and the speeches made by the wedding couple be heard clearly?

How was the dry ice effect? Did the couple did anything special? Care to share?

Thx.

joyce

The background music that night.. i dunno whether chosen by club or couple.. well.. assuming that it was done by the hotel oki?

It was terrible.. some totally inappropriate songs. Like " Torn between two lovers, don't know what to do" . Overall ths mix is between purely instrumental and non instrumental. I suggest to all couples to choose their own background music as well.. can't trust the club's choice.

The speech can be heard clearly.

a powerpoint presentation was done. large screen and wonderful sound system. nice and loud.

dry ice effect was very good.. it helped that the aisle was not too long..

crackle

Hi !

I attended a wedding banquet over at RTC last week..the food tasted very good for a nine-course dinner... the bridal suite was great too.... the banquet was held at Dunearn Ballroom.. facilities were first-class just like a hotel.

S

sl

Hi Esther

Had a great wedding?

Just finished mine, and it was fabulous.

bunnie

hi confused,

rtc getting sued if i'm not wrong. sooo..... :p :p

oso, the package does not include fresh flowers along d aisle.... place is inaccessible....

anyway, i find rtc too snobbish n the sales pple are inflexible n not tactful. the idea is almost like 'take it or leave it, i'm not forcing u to come here'. i'm din hv as pleasant a time with them compared to the sales pple at the other hotels...definitely more professional.

i made a tentative booking wif rtc but i decided to forgo it anyway.

be afraid....be very afraid.....
bunnie

min

Hi, I'm thinking of holding my dinner there somewhere in the 4th quarter 03... cos i couldnt get any hotel for my wedding date :eek: And is Jessica and Liza having there too?

liza

Hi Min

I just paid for my banquet there on the 13 December 2003. Its my first choice and I booked the date like three months ago

The coordinator Terence is basically a very nice person and hes open for changes in menu etc

If you need any help feel free to buzz me

min

Hi Liza

Yeah, I've seen Terence before. He's a nice guy and quite accomodating.

I havent confirmed with him as I'm worried about the law suit against RTC. Arent u worried?

Basically, I think I love the suite =)

enya

anyone had their ROM there before? any function rooms avail for that? please email me any details or contact etc? HELP!

tanlea

Hi

I am considering Raffles Town Club.

Anyone has comments on their
1) food
2) service
3) ballroom theme?

marker

Hi blue angel

Here some brief comments:

1. Food - cant comment cos not yet try but according to mine friend - good, not too bad)
2. Wedding package - flexible and willing to comply.
3. The suite --- look nice, it come with Jacuzzi & KTV
4. Service - ok (above average)
5. Ballroom - big enough for 50 tables, a choice of ivory or gold bows for the chair, red carpet provided, cozy feel

tanlea

Hi TCL

I actually wanted to sign on the dotted line liaoz
but the sales coordinator not very accomodating lor ... Quite pek chek. Okay, this portion is still tolerable.

Then my hubby and I drop by to see the wedding setup last Sunday ... I got a shock lor. The stage very chin cheong leh. They use the styrofoam wordings with 2 hearts in the centre.
Wah, after reading this forum hor, I realize they have not changed their ballroom style after 3 years. Very scary leh. Look like Chinese restuarant.

marker

hi blueAngel,

Which coordinator you talk to? Try Terence, he is helpful and flexible. I signed up with them during their bridal show - two week ago, the wedding package offered was good. If you are not satisfied with the stage deco request for a change, check what they can do for you. I requested to change the floral for each table…. u have to try yr luck.

tanlea

Hi TCL,

When is ur big day ? Mine is on 4th July 2004.

I also went to the bridal show lor. We very impressed with the table setup and the food during the show.

Overall, I feel RTC is good except for the ballroom theme.

I actually requested them to change a few things. The coordinator checking for me whether have extra charges.

But how do I change the coordinator now?

marker

Hi blueAngel,

Did you sign with them during their show? What package are you considering? Agree with you that their ballroom theme is limited. So, what changes did you request from them and who is ur coordinator??? I can share with you my package if you want. Let me know ur email address b'cos its best not to discuss openly.

tanlea

Hi TCL

You can email me at [email protected]

I request to change many many things about the ballroom. Hee. I think you should request to see the ballroom before a wedding lah. Prepare yourself so that you can request for changes lor.

Ta.

tanlea

Hi TCL,

This thread is very quiet. Only 2 of us. Hee hee.
Have you went down to view the ballroom before a wedding yet? How is it?

blim

Hi TCL and BlueAngel,
A feedback for you: My friend just attended a wedding function at RTC. She has heaps of praises for the fantastic food and grand deco. However, she said the chocolates were placed in a box meant for cakes. Flaw in an otherwise perfect picture huh...
happy.gif

marker

Thank for nice compliments and feedback, blim!

As blueAngel mentioned this thread is very quiet, So its really nice to hear comments beside two of us. Just wonder is your friend wedding held last Thursday (30/10) b'cos I was there to view the ballroom. The bride look gorgeous and her smile was radiant.

Blueangela - Sample the food of RTC. Generally I would said their food are pretty good (above average - in fact we feel that it is better than some good hotel & restaurant food - our personally opinion) My FH and family members are very happy with it
happy.gif
Hopefully on the AD they will keep up to the same standard and serving portion.

(1) The Seafood is pretty good -especially the fish, prawn, sea cucumber (Fresh).
(2) Duck disk is out - (taste funny) maybe is the way they cook it or we just don’t appreciate it.

Re: the ballroom décor. I think choice of flower and the colour are important (due to lighting). Will write to you in details.

Cheers!

tanlea

hi blim
indeed very nice of u to post some feedback here.
happy.gif
will take note of the chocolates!

hi tcl
terence called me liao. up til now, i have yet to sign the contract. ke ke. cos i felt i want more details in the contract. do u have any muslim or vegetarian guests? i noticed they did not put the prices of the muslim/vegetarian menu in the contract. by the way, did you get to see the candle bowls?

marker

blueangel,
if i'm not wrong the muslim & vegetarian pricing is the same ard $50 per person (5-6 dishes) if will be worth if u can get 10 people in a table.

it nice to have fresh flowers display on each table but the way being present is un appearing/unimpressive hence i request for a change.

tanlea

hi wise,

my big day is in july.

i have not check the transfer yet. but i know a 1way transfer (1 time) only cost $60. so ...
yes i intend to do from newton mrt or orchard mrt lor ... maybe city hall is even better...hmm.

i have not done the food tasting but i heard the food is good. so no worries about that area at all.
happy.gif

wiseharmony

Hi Hi,

tks for the reply. seems liked tis thread is kinda "cold".
did u hv u PS taken in RTC too? we r still considering RTC, coz beer & wine quite X. r u taking wine too? ; p can share?

yeap, food is also a main concern, coz' old folks sure complaint if food taste lousy. but so far had attended 2 wedding there (1 banquet & other buffet) both are okay.

oh yes, is your wedding on weekday/end?

shelle

Hi I am considering having my wedding there as well.. very concerned about the food and decor. please advise

tanlea

hi wise,

my wedding is on a weekend. yeah i am thinking of taking my PS in RTC cos the place is very nice. yes, beer is definitely ex. i din have good rates for that.
sad.gif

as for wine, ... oh now that you reminded me ... :p, my husband and i are going to buy from our friend who owns a pub. we have yet to ask his consent though.

hi shelle,

i am not too concerned about the food and i have yet to go for food testing but apparently most ppl i spoke to said RTC has good food.
happy.gif

i have 1 big worry. that is the decor of the ballroom but it can be controlled. i spoke to terence and he is very open about how you want the decor to be done. in fact, i managed to get the table centrepiece changed. they even lend me their glassware free. very nice of them.

two small worries which can be controlled
1) the flowers on the table
2) the chocolates in the fruit cake box

also spoke to terence about the above. he said i could speak to their florist. they outsourced to petals and leaves.

as for the chocolates, i intend to purchase or make my own boxes. yet to do my reseach though. :p
but i found the perfect box! meant for the chocolates accidentally when my husband and i went for our V day dinner. will keep u posted.

shelle, are u also in the july bride thread?

wise, shelle, i seriously recommend terence to be your wedding coordinator. he is very experienced and old hand in RTC. he is around mid-30s in case i gave the wrong idea that he is a ah-pek! ke ke ke.