Raffles Town Club

jane

Hi, I m considering holding my wedding at Raffles Town Club, Anyone has any experience, especially with regards to the food?

C

chin leng

Hi Jane,

Raffes Town Club is very new, isn't it? The advantage is that it will be a change of the usual venue. How much is the package?

Regards,
Chin Leng.

esther

Jane,

I visited Raffles Town Club 2 months back on a Sat nite. It was very crowded and the carpark was pretty full.

Beside visiting the ballrooms, you might want to check out the number of pple there and the carpark as well. Just my point of view.

jane

Thanz, Esther. for your advice. My wedding is going to fall on a weekday. I hope it will not be that bad. How u find the place?

uma

hi jane,

have been to a the chinese restaurant there two months ago...though it's not a wedding...the food is ok

by the way, are you having a chinese dinner or buffet?

C

chin leng

Hi Jane,

I agree that the place was very packed, even during the weekday lunch time. However, this could be because the club is still new. The novelty of it may taper off after a while. I would suggest you visit it during one of the weekdays so to have a gauge of both the car park and crowd.

The other concern is that the place is pretty confusing to navigate. How to ensure that your guests will find the ballroom easily? I know that they check the visitors for membership when they drive in. How do they ensure smooth entry to the club for your guests?

Maybe you can visit Raffles Town Club when they have a wedding dinner and have a first-hand experience?

If everything checks out fine, it would be a novel idea to hold it there.

By the way, can anyone hold their wedding dinner at Raffles Town Club or do you have to be a member? If it is available for public booking, I would be adding the information to the website.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

jane

Chin Leng, went there once to look at the Dunearn Ballroom, it was v. ideal to what I expected and desired. U must be a member or if u friends/relatives who are members, then u can book the place. It is not open to public & the security is tight. Thanz for telling me what to check out for, it is v. useful. Likely to go there 2morrow to find out more cos' there is wedding function.

C

chin leng

Hi Jane,

You are welcome! Glad to be of help. You may like to post your views and comments here after your visit tomorrow?

Regards,
Chin Leng.

jane

Hi, Chin Leng. The setup was great, wrapped seat covers for all, floral arrangement for each table. I think I will not look further for any other venues. However, I was thinking, for the deco, beside using ice craving e.g. swans, or styrofoam for the names etc, what can be done to make the deco different?

C

chin leng

Hi Jane,

Congratulations! It's great to have found the wedding venue, isn't it? One less thing to worry about. :)

How was the car park condition at Raffles Town Club? Has the crowd thined? Also, how does the security handle the entry of invited wedding guests? Sorry for asking so many question, but interested to know how Raffles Town Club handles more guests.

Regarding the deco, try to do away with styrofoam. It is passe, in my opinion. You can do up the ballroom with candlelights. I think it will be romantic to have the soft light to lit up the ballroom. On the dinning table, you can have a glass plate, with a candle and rose petals floating in it. The rose petals can also be sprinkled on the table.

Or, you can go with balloon theme. Decorate the ballroom with 2 colours of balloon. I think balloons of white & blue, white & gold or white with one other colour should be nice. I think should not have more than 3 colours. Too many colours make it look like a party. :p

However, with the balloon theme, you may have to content with kids tugging, pulling and playing the floating balloons.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

pat

Hi,

I don't know that the rate at Raffles Town Club is so afforable. Should consider there. Anyway, I have booked Orchard Hotel cos' it is high ceiling and pillarless. The only pity is I can't have the entire ballroom area as the other 2 ballrooms will be taken up by other functions as well.
Congrats for making a good choice

kelly

Hi,

This Raffles Town Club you guys are talking abt.. is it the one at Tuas? I've thought of the place too tho' I've never been there, they do Marquees and it's by the sea right? It certainly looks beautiful in picture. I did not enquire further because of it's location, it's just too far from town, wouldn't it be inconvenient for the guests? How would you solve this problem?

kelly

Oophs!

How embarrassing, I'm so swa-ku, now you know why I love this site cos'it really "broadens my horizons". Anyway, thanks for clearing my doubts,Ivy,Jane and Apple.

Sounds like this is a place worth considering to hold a banquet in. Maybe I check it out too.

C

chin leng

Hi Kelly,

Just a reminder, the wedding package is not opened to the public for booking. However, if you know anyone who is a member of the Raffles Town Club, I think they can make arrangement for you.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

S

sok leng

any idea what is the max. sitting capacity for a chinese wedding dinner banquet at raffles Town club?

Y

yih yng

has anyone actually done a wedding at RTC? we are thinking of doing so, but the events guy seems very blur. we are afraid that he is not very on the ball, because he takes forever to answer our calls and inquiries and he told us there was no wedding during this wkend (when we asked to view the ballroom) but when we called back and spoke to another staff, the other staff mentioned that there was!

Not very reassuring.... but the place looks nice.

Otherwise we were thinking of going to Marina Mandarin

juan

Hi Yih Yng

Just a note about RTC. We (my bf & myself) were considering RTC too, but according to my dad who frequents the place, parking is really problematic, especially on weekends. Furthermore, the place may be a little maze to your guests, so you have to ensure clear directions are given.

Cheers,
Juan.

ixwong

Yep, just went to a wedding last month at MM, the food is really so-so...I only managed to find 2 strands of sharkfin in my bowl, rest all starch!

Worse of all, it's not cheap...

hwey

I thought MM, though not cheap, is one of the more affordable hotels around. The rest are charging more than $750+++/$800+++ which can come up to near $900 or more.

ixwong

Tricia,

Although the food not that fantastic, the decor is very nice, esp the ice-carvings. The ballroom is nice, even though we were sitting right at one corner, we can see the stage quite clearly...

Have you had your food-tasting session? Perhaps you can highlight that with the banquet manager....

C

chin leng

Hi Tricia,

Don't worry about the food lah ... Just concentrate on your wedding and be a beautiful bride. :)

Regards,
Chin Leng.

tricia

Thanks Chin Leng...I also dun have time to worry about the food already...so many other things to do!!

Hi ixwong...

Which ballroom did u go to? Level 5 or ground level? Was the service good? Was the ice-carving dolphine?

I did go for food tasting but they will definitely cook up a delicious meal for u right? How much of the same standard they can maintain after scaling up to 25 tables is another story...

ixwong

Hi Tricia,

We went to the ballroom on the ground floor. It has such a spacious reception area, which is excellent for my friend cos her crowd is big.

The service was alright, considering that they have >50 tables to take care of. Ice-carving not dolphine, though. I think dolphine should turn out a nicer choice (more romantic).

I'm sure everything will work out fine in its own accord...just relax and enjoy the most important day in your life...

sunflower

Hi all,

I may be having my ROM reception at Raffles Town Club. My fiance's Uncle is a member there and heard that there is a buffet lunch there and it's at it's ballroom. Anyone knows whether the food there is good? I worry about privacy there since's it's a ballroom shared by so many people and it seems so crowded :( with the comments posted here. Mine is on a tuesday afternoon... but will be going down this friday evening to look at the place with his uncle.. don't know if the conditions in the afternoon and evening would be the same :( else may consider fort canning Spice Garden buffet lunch but i've looked at the price which is at $30+++ per head, seems very expensive (does anyone knows whether the food at Spice Garden is nice?)

apple

hi sunflower,
i heard about the buffet lunch at RTC as my friend told us that it is quite cheap and he'll bring us there soon...anyway, his comment is that it is quite tasty and definitely is value for money.

As for spice garden, my friend likes the food so she is having her wedding dinner there and my sis told me that the food is yum yum :D

esther

Hi every1,

Has tentatively booked Raffles Town Club (amongst others) for my wedding in Nov2001. Went down last Friday & really keen on the venue cos' it's really posh. The guy who attended to us (Gary) was very nice & he even showed us the room that will be the bridal suite which is included as 1 night-stay in package.

Mentioned to him abt the carparking worries but he kept assuring me that there'll be ample parking lots & directories (signboards) will be posted to guide guests to the ballroom.

Still considering due to $$$ constraints cos' having abt 45-50 tables. Any1 who has attended or held wedding dinners there recently can advise on the food & wat else to look out for be4 i make my decision?

dolphin

Hi esther,

Have not attended dinner there but a fren of mine told me that the services there is quite bad. He attended a wedding dinner there recently and apprently the guest have to help themself for drink and plate etc cos they are short handed. No complaint about food though.

C

chin leng

Hi Esther,

You may want to check with RTC their usual waiters/waiteresses to tables ratio. 1:1 is ideal but not likely. I think you should expect the ratio to be about 1:2 or 2:3.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

esther

Hi Chin Leng,

Thanks for ur advice.......will check with them on tat if i do take up the venue.

Any1 has anymore experiences to share???

L

likethere

Raffles Town Club? I tried to applied for photo taking but they reject my application cos I need to be a member even the wedding dinner too! Re u all guys members of that club? What is the price to be the member? : )

esther

Hi likethere,

Yes, only members can book the ballrooms. i'm not a member but is getting a friend's boss to help me to book it (they jus require member's name & membership no. for booking, no obligation or liabilities to the member).

I did ask the banquet co-ordinator about the membership fee & he told us it's $14,500 to apply. Not sure if there's other additional fees though....

lyn

Hi all,

I heard that the lunch in Raffles Town Club is value for money. But I thinking about tea reception there. Does anyone know if it is as good?

O

open-eyed

How's the decor at Raffles Town Club? Can they provide anything other than the normal styrofoam swan carvings? Is the dinner or lunch Cantonese or just Chinese?

esther

Hi open-eyed,

I have booked RTC for my wedding in Nov2001. Went down to hav a look at the decor & is quite pleased with it, especially liked the winding staircases which leads to the ballroom so u can see all the guests coming down it.

All seat-covers & fresh floral centrepieces r included & u can choose to hav sashes for all seats at no extra cost. Current backdrop for the stage is deep maroon but they might be changing it to dark blue. What i saw was the wedding couple's name in cutout styrofoam in gold dust (cant remember if there's a twin heart in the centre now). They hav several types of ice-carvings for u to choose from. The banquet co-ordinator is open to any suggestions u may hav & u can discuss with him on your ideas. I actually requested for candles on the stage but it's not feasible so may be substituting with tea-lights. Will decide nearer to the date.

As for the food, i dont know if it's Cantonese, jus that it's a 9-course Chinese food.

Do arrange to go down for a look when there's a wedding dinner scheduled so that u will see for yourself how it looks like.

O

open-eyed

thanks, esther.

It's sure sounds like a nice place. Btw, is the change of atmosphere to tea-lights come with extra charge? Are these tea-lights also provided by them?

esther

Hi open-eyed,

Although i didn't ask whether there's any extra cost for tea-lights, i don't think they'll charge me for that. However, i did ask abt having balloon decor & there might be an extra charge for this. Depending on the budget u give & the extent of the balloon decor required, they can accomodate this. I have not decided on the theme yet & will only discuss this further nearer to the date.

Lemme know if u require any other further details!!

S

sl

Dear Esther

I'd booked my wedding for Dec 2001. The place is really nice. BTW, did you ask about the corkage fee for wines? On paper they say they do impose a charge.

Thx for your info that u can render.

esther

Hi SL,

Hav to check with my FH abt that, only know that corkage fee for hard liquor r waived (must be duty-paid).

BTW, were u attended by Gary or the other guy?

S

sl

Hi Esther

It was the other Malay person that attended to me ... he was very friendly. But of course, with my member friends there ... he treated me very nicely. Paid ur deposit yet? Still not sure abt the styrofoam names though...:)