Raffles Hotel

cherrylight

Some thoughts on the show:
Food was average. The fish was really bland. I think I even got a bit of the fish stomach, which made me want to spit it out

I was disappointed by the decoration they chose for the lawn; no doubt it was beautiful, with tentage and flower stands and everything, but it requires an additional top-up of >5k. Maybe this is normal of all wedding shows, but shouldn't you display your standard decor instead? Or display decor that doesn't require that much top-up? I went to the wedding show to see how my wedding would look like if I had it on the Lawn, and not how it could look if I had >5k to spare for solemnization.

Ok sorry for the rant...

For the ballroom, I think the ceiling appears low as it's not arched. I think it's lower than Intercon's and Fullertons (based on my impression). Chandeliers are nice though
happy.gif

sheep_in_sydney

Hi cherrylight, thanks for the sharing! My sis and father went on our behalf as we live in Sydney. I wouldn't have known the decor for the lawn requires a 5k plus top up.. that's crazy..

But in the end due to some sort of desperation we signed up anyway for the lawn area and lunch this june.. I'm expecting the decor to be basic ... Good thing that came out of this show is the 5% rebate and extra barrel of beer cos our australian guests may just drink too much :p Gave up on Beaufort Sentosa cos it was ridiculously expensive and they refused to give perks!

As for the ceiling, Fullerton's definitely much much higher
happy.gif

Btw, did you like the bridal suite?

cherrylight

I'm sure the normal lawn decoration will be beautiful, I've seen it in some pictures. Was just hoping to see it in person. Did your father/sis take any pictures to show you?

I'm not fussy about the bridal suite, but I suppose it's a tad small compared to other suites. The TV set is super old too - not even flat screen, so don't be shocked! Not that anyone would be watching TV on their wedding night though haha.. The whole feel of the suite is very cozy
happy.gif

jovanka

Hi Stressed sheep, when will your banquet be in June? Congras that you finally settled your banquet venue. @ the Lawn rught? we initially wanted to have our lunch held at the lawn too, however on top of the lunch package, we have to pay additional 6-8k for the marque. This is not part of the standard package set up. Really expensive, but couldnt possibly let our guest roast under the sun haha...
We also booked our dates for next yr jun. Solemisation @ the lawn follow by lunch in the ballroom =)

sheep_in_sydney

Hi Jovanka,
happy.gif
congratulations to you too! my banquet be June this year :p.. crazy huh that we signed the package two months before. Our solemnization is at the lawn followed by lunch at the ballroom too. In fact I didn't know you can actually do lunch under a marquee at the lawn! I totally agree with u the guests be roasted..!

Do you find your program in the morning till lunch a seriously hectic one? For me its even more complicated cos my htb is australian and he doesn't wanna see the white dress until rom.. so i have to leave d house in cheongsam.. change to white dress for rom.. change back to cheongsam again to tea ceremony.. then back to white dress again for lunch. I'm trying to strike off the last change so i just wear the cheongsam throughout.. super hectic.. cos my dad won't agree to doing d tea ceremony after lunch.. sigh. and d relatives don't wanna come early in d morning for tea ceremony before rom..

Hey cherrylight.. lol i'm so amused by the old tv set.. and told my htb wat u said.. its hilarious for a 7 star hotel.. good lord why didn't they upgrade when they're charging a whopping 700++ for a night's stay! But ya I guess from d photos I can see the suite has a nice old nostalgic feel to it
happy.gif

jovanka

Woa Stressed sheep...yr schedule is indeed a heatic one,will be busy changing in and out. Most importantly bear in mind the bridal suite is quite a distance from the ballroom /the lawn, so you may wanna minimise changing frequency,otherwise the guest may have to go through long interval waiting to see the beautiful bride =P Looking forward to see yr photos...
and the tv set...My HTB & I also laugh at the sight of it..but then again a flat screen LCD tv will be sitting out of place with the nostalgic deco of the room. haha

Hi Cherrylight, did you sign up with raffles too?

meteor_starry

Just attended a wedding dinner at Raffles, the lifts were out of order, and everyone had to take the stairs to get down from the third storey to first, and worse, to get from the first storey to the basement carpark, the lights were out of order, and there were no railings on the staircase, so we had to grope around in the dark to find our way to the carpark

littlesmurfie

I asked raffles for the prices last month. For 20-30 pax. They quote me $1405 and $1605 per Chinese set dinner. Seem higher than wat some of you are getting?

missyyee

Hi girls,

I'm interested in holding a Wedding Tea Solemnization at Raffles Hotel for around 100pax.

Anyone tried their wedding tea package before?

amx

hi ppl,

Am interested to hold our wedding solemnization at raffles hotet's The Lawn.

Do you think 10:30am to 12 noon will be too hot for the guests? Don't think we will be getting a marque.

any feedback on this venue in terms of the basic solemnization package offered by Raffles Hotel? will it look bad (ie non-dream wedding like) and that we will need to spend $5k (on top of the basic $3-5k) to achieve the effect?

jerrin

Hi,

I'm throwing my wedding at Raffles Hotel in Oct this year. i'll be holding my solemnization process in the ballroom as well.. but I just learnt that there is no stage decor provided
sad.gif

Now, i'm clueless abt what i should abt it..

Anyone/couples that have previously married at Raffles Hotel give me advice on this?

Thanks

lovely_star

Hi ladies

Is anyone going to Raffles Romance Show this Saturday? I am thinking of going as my wedding coordinator mentions that there will be additional perks given if I sign up on the same day. $68nett per couple with lunch, quite alrite rite?

jessica_rabbit

Hi Dreamywedding, went for the show. My comments about Raffles hotel are as follows.

Ballroom >> Very nice. Love the walls and the chandeliers

Food >> Wasnt too great. Had the western sitdown. The platings and setups were beautiful though.

Hotel Bathrooms >> Quite disappointing. Rather old and there was a musty smell. =S

Ambience >> The place was beautiful. It had the slightly rundown look though. But I guess it is a heritage hotel?

Staff >> Werent all that friendly. They were courteous but not warm.

But overall raffles hotel gave me a good feeling... It wasnt a 'wow' but it certainly has its own charm...

lamb79

Hi All

I am new here and I have just signed up with Raffles for Nov 11. Agree with most of your comments here.

I been to a wedding in raffles couple of year back, maybe alot of $$$ was spent on the decor so didnt realise the orginal stage was so shabby (surprised - thot everything in Raffles should be of a standard)

The ballroom is nice but the 'stage' and the projector setup look so out of the grand picture.
Anyone has any idea of how to make it beautiful?

Any photo and advice?

jarlslee

Hi

My name is Jarls from Singapore and I am an undergraduate at a Hospitality Management school in Switzerland. For my undergraduate dissertation, I am looking at the negotiation behaviour of prospective wedding couples looking to hold their wedding banquet at 5-star hotels in Singapore.

Your response is kindly appreciated and will aid in the completion of my paper.

This survey will take up 15-20 minutes of your time.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/negotiated_decision_making_weddings_in_Singapore

Thank you.

kiwifruit

Hi Lamb,

I just got married at the lawn and held my dinner reception at East India Room last month. Despite my initial gripes about the high prices and hotel not updating on the deco (pale in comparison to what other 5 star hotels are doin), we all including my guests and families were totally blown away. I would say, do not worry too much at this point.

The fact is, Raffles Hotel has a nostalgic charm about it so trying too hard on the deco really makes the experience no difference to other hotels. The key is to keep it simple
happy.gif
We had a very simple set up for the lawn and that looks great enough. You may want to spend a bit of time with the florist yourself to coordinate on what you want though. And you can personalise the reception area too by say getting ur own angpow box or adding some personal photographs where the guests can view. It pays to be creative here and surprise your guests. Imagine those western outdoor weddings with so much green and filled with creativity of the bride, except that in this wedding, you get properly serviced by the hotel staff.

For the East India Room, all we did was to remove the stage so that we make room for a dance floor and that looks so much better with the timber floor revealed. Believe me, at night when those chandeliers are dimmed down, the place looks simply stunny and classy. After all the guests will not be inspecting every corner of the room and what is important to them (and to you too) is really the whole experience of dining in such a classy area with the posh dinning ware and to enrich the experience, seriously consider hiring a live band and entertain your guests well. I personalise my own centrepiece by replacing their standard floating candles with my own lanterns but still using their flowers around it which softens the whole place even more with the orange glow.

This is just sharing with you girls on my experience with Raffles Hotel based on raving reviews of my guests. Hope it helps
happy.gif

lamb79

Hi Ms Wong

Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel better
happy.gif

I thought of the band but they have not come back to me on the price. East India Room is nice, I like the setting of the room with all the windows. I will be holding mine in the ballroom due to the number of table.

Do you work with the Raffles' florist? I will be using th Lawn too. Can you share with me your photos, please?
happy.gif

kiwifruit

Sure, if you let me have your email, I will send those photos to you. Is it next year that your wedding is to be held?

I have not personally seen much of the grand ballroom or attended any wedding there so I cannot comment much but I do not think it will look any worse than East India Room when the chandaliers are on
happy.gif
The thing about the Raffles Hotel coordination is that if you want to see to the nitty gritty details, you have to approach them personally and yes I would advice you to talk to the florist (book an appointment thru your coordinator first) and perhaps even show her some reference pictures. i think she did a great job after my brief to her about a month or so before the wedding.

I know how you feel because a few months ago, I was also worrying about all sorts of stuff but Raffles did a good job in the end. Still, there are areas they can improve like communication with the client so I really suggest you to talk to them and clear whatever doubts with them. They will note down most of the things you tell them. Another option for the decoration part is to get your own florist if you are just not so confident in the end result?

membrane1229

Hi, I have read all your valuable comments and advice on weddings @ RH. My wedding is in Feb 2011. I have booked the lawn and the ballroom.

We met our new coordinator (the previous one left w/o telling us!) and we were shocked to find out the following and would like to seek the following advice on:

1) Wine: RH charges S$38++ for their wine and they are not able to waive corkage charge. Anyone managed to convince them to waive?

2) Lawn: There is a minimum spending for S$2000 at the Lawn. Please advise what did you guys spent on and how I should best decorate the place.

3)Stage: Yes, they do have a small and ugly stage. Any advice? To decorate it? or to remove it and replace with a dance floor?

4) Extra room for helpers to change: I tried to get a room for my sisters to change and shwer before the solemnisation as we will be having a lunch before that, but RH is so rigid. Told us that there is no extra suite room available just for 3-4 hours. How did you brides handle this?

5) Dinner: What did you guys recommend for soup besides Sharks Fin? Is the "value" for Fish Maw Soup the same?

6) Screen: The projector screen is really small in the ballroom. Any complaints from your guests that they cannot see the screen?

7) Service: How did you find the service? RH is so expensive and I know that we are paying for a heritage and prestigious hotel. I hope the service during the wedding day will not disappoint.

jovanka

Hi Ms Wong, are you able to share Yr pictures with me too? My email is [email protected]
I'm having my solemnization at the lawn and luncheon in the ballroom. Was wondering what deco will they use for the solemnization at the lawn or does the couple have to top up and make deco arrangement themselves. TIA =D

georginalau

I just held my ROM and wedding at the Raffles Hotel, East India Rooms. We signed up during the April 2010 Wedding Show and had very good perks.

1) 2 x 30litres barrel of beer. We changed it to 1 barrel of beer, and 10 bottles of red/white wine as we had only 100 guests. In addition, we have 1 bottle of red/white wine for every 1 table

2) We choose the weekday package of buffet dinner, as the weekend prices are way too expensive. There is an additional of 5% discount for the wedding show, so in total each guest cost around $109plus. Please bear in mind that Raffles Hotel charges 1.77% for GST and Service Charge

3) In addition, as ours is a buffet dinner, Raffles Hotel charges by headcount. We didn't know that we had to let them know within 48 hours to reduce the food count (they call it guaranteed attendance) as we had some guests who couldn't make it last minute. We managed to sort this out as there is a miscommunication and RH bear the additional cost

4) The decor and ambience is fantastic, with the chandeliers and English backdrop. Most guests felt that the wedding is very cosy and being at a heritage hotel, the feeling is different

5) The bridal room has a cosy home feeling, though my dad complained about why wasn't there a LCD TV screen. There is a personal butler assigned when checked in, thumbs up for their personalised service

6) The East India Rooms is just nice for our 100 guests. We opt out the stage and asked them to create a dance floor instead. That day was raining, thus we couldn't use the Palm Garden for our reception, which is a waste. But no choice due to bad weather. Our table setting was candles with flowers, very beautiful. We didn't top up for anything extra, so the setting is sufficiently gorgeous. We didn't have any photo montage, so no comments for their LCD screen.

Overall, the experience was great and memorable. And what really matters is the time enjoyed being with close friends and family
happy.gif
with a beautiful backdrop for phototaking

donuts

Hi all, for those who had the rom/wedding at raffles hotel already, would you mind sharing some pix of the deco of the lawn and ballroom? thanks! [email protected] mine is also on 11/11/11. will be in casuarina suites.

azncutiegal

Hi all

Just signed up for my wedding banquet package at Raffles. It will be held at the Ballroom on Sept 11/11. I have heard alot on how bad the food is.. can anyone who had recently held their wedding be able to share on their food taste as well, any pics to share? my email is [email protected].

Thanks a bundle.

auroraborealis

Hi!

I'm also looking at Raffles Hotel for my wedding in Nov. The coordinator whom I'm in contact with advised that it is better to have dinner instead of lunch if we intend to have our solemnisation at the Lawn. Can anyone who had their solemnisation at the Lawn in the late morning share their experiences, and also some photos pls??

Thanks!!!

limchuifang

Hi guys,

I held my ROM wedding at East India Room last year, an extremely bad experience that I had!
Firstly, the food is so horrid that any caterer will be better. all the puffs are soft and soggy, food are limited. Polar cafe is anytime better than them. Presentation is bad too, its just 10 silver trays that they will put flat on the table.
Secondly, the staff are very unfriendly, especially a malay manager. Shouted at my mom during my ROM which was feedback by my guest, and talking so loudly. The in charge is a new staff, and she said she has no authority to talk to them, as the older staff is always at the "top".
We have wrote in a letter to the managing director, but just a reply letter that the manager is "loud in nature". just like that.

It would be really embarrasing for the host to receive so many bad feedbacks about the food and service. Indeed a nice ballroom,but not again for my customary.

tripleones

We had our solemnisation last year at Palm Garden and High Tea at East India Room. I would say the service provided by Richie and Wen Ting was fabulous! The handover to Wen Ting was smooth as Richie left before our ROM. However, the food was kinda disappointing, I must say.

flyin_bubble

Raffles is having the bridal fair in Oct...Sun, 23/10...Is anyone going??? I heard that there is additional perk, is it???

Can't wait to have my wedding there!!! my dream wedding!!!

xbin

Hi all,

seems like this thread has quietened a fair bit.

I have some Raffles hotel gift cards on hand, willing to let go at discount.
Raffles Gift Cards is redeemable against any direct hotel charges managed by Raffles Hotels & Resorts

Interested parties pls contact me @ [email protected]

superberrylove

Hi Gelicia,

I am curious to know how it was like at the wedding show yesterday? did you sign your package with them? I'm based overseas so I Can't attend anything shows or go down for a site visit so any information would be helpful!

superberrylove

Hi,

This thread has been a little quiet so I thought I bump it up and ask if anyone is a BTB at Raffles or looking to hold their event there please? Really interested to find out more. Thanks!

dec14btb

Hi, i am planning to hold my Rom at the lawn n banquet at the ballroom at raffles hote. Anyone held their weddings at rh recently? Any feedback or pictures to share? Thanks!

sungirl

Any BTB booked Raffles ballroom for their wedding or have had held their wedding there? Any reviews on their food and are perks negotiable?

G&Z

Any BTB booked Raffles ballroom for their wedding or have had held their wedding there? Any reviews on their food and are perks negotiable?

Hi I booked the raffles hotel ballroom n lawn for my wedding in 2015.. I heard from few relatives that the food is good.. Overall I heard is quite okay.. Who is ur coordinator?

Using SingaporeBrides app

Hi I booked the raffles hotel ballroom n lawn for my wedding in 2015.. I heard from few relatives that the food is good.. Overall I heard is quite okay.. Who is ur coordinator?

Hi G&Z, did u manage to book at the wedding show? Will yours be a dinner or luncheon? I like the lawn a lot but worried that it will rain that day.

G&Z

Hi G&Z, did u manage to book at the wedding show? Will yours be a dinner or luncheon? I like the lawn a lot but worried that it will rain that day.

Yup I booked it at the wedding show.. It will be dinner.. The lawn is really pretty and to be honest I'm worried that it will rain but I'm crossing my fingers!