Peony Jade Resturant

faifai

Hi PJ brides,

Did you all get the contract shortly after paying the deposit? I paid the deposit in early Sep, and my AD is in early July 2007, but till now PJ still has not get back to us regarding the contract.

Do we have to take the initiative to call them regarding the contract? If yes, then how many months before the AD should I call them?

Thanks.

paunic

Hi all...

So it's quite normal that they charge 23 tables when people book 25 tables. Thought that it is a "special deal". Chey.

When I place the deposit, they explain that the cockage is charged. So I better make sure they waive my cockage man.

vonn

Hi Lunabride,
They will give a max of 6 heads for free...eg; 226 heads but oni 22tables, they only charge 22 tables. The 6 heads is free.
Wine, i did not order from PJ, ordered from other merchants instead and cheaper and my guests complimented the wine is good too.

Hi All,
The contract wont be ready so soon, i was also anxious abt the contract after paying the deposit, but PJ replied they need time and need to concentrate current weddings that they have on hand.
But dnt worry, the contract will be ready long before yr actual day.

sunbubble

Hi Vonn,

Can you recommend me ya wine merchants? Thanks.

I remembered I paid my deposit at end of Oct and received my drafted contract in mid Nov. Have not get back to them on the contract yet. Howeever, Pauline has reminded me on the contract end of Nov. Guess they wanted me to sign on the contract quickly.

For info, they mentioned that corkage for wines & liquors are waived.

kieran

Thanks for your input, Lovelytulips... Just sent an sms to Pamela.

fai fai... looks like we are having the actual day around the same time.. mine is on the 1st.. when is yours?

I feel that if the contract or initial information sheets didn't say that they reserve the right to reject the types of wines brought in by clients, then the couple should have the right to bring the wines that they brought in...

kieran

hello faifai.. so you are the one who booked it on the 8th.. it was initially on my choice of dates too but too bad it was taken up...

I haven't gotten the contract from them yet.. wondering how long more we have to wait...

pigcess

hi all, does it mean that the restaurant itself is quite small n can only accomodate only 180 guests max? so the rest of the guests will not be able to view what's going on inside? thanks for any advice!

faifai

hi kieran... oh same experience...the date which i initially wanted was oso taken by another couple, so i booked it on the 8th which is my 2nd choice. =p

sunbubble

Has anyone managed to get more complimentary car passes from PJ? 20% seems little.

Are the wines/liquors brought in need to be duty free?

If there's increased of gst, it will be absorbed by us. Sian siah!

pigcess

i have a concern. can everybody see the projector? cos the restaurant seems to be elongated at one side.... i wonder the ppl sitting at the back will be able to see everything?

kieran

Didn't managed to nego for more car park passes but i believe maybe on the day itself can try to ask for more from whoever is in-charge.. of cos, need to pai ma pi a little and sweet talk them a bit.. if they still don't want to give then too bad lor...

SB: I think only duty paid... duty free maybe they don't allow cos duty free is actually for personal consumption at home or something like that..

Pigcess: Nothing much can be done.. have to make do with whatever screen size that's available... ARe you renting the projector from them? the restaurant is big enuff for 21 tables comfortably.. 22 will mean 1 table in the VIP room which i think is not good..

sunbubble

Thanks Kieran for giving me the info.
happy.gif

Correct me if I am wrong, from what I know, PJ can place 22 tables comfortably, the 23rd table will mean the one in the VIP room, next to the changing room.

pigcess > I was also contemplating whether to use VG to show my guests the display highlights and montage or not initially. The white screen is really small for for someone sitting at table at the other end. With this, I forgo the idea of engaging a VG on AD and we will do a simple montage by ourselves. Also defeats the purpose, to think we pay so much yet not all the guests will get to view it.

pigcess

thanks for the advices. i have another ques... cos there may be a change of plans now. if i were to hold my ROM with simple lunch/dinner for relatives at PJ with abt 5 table... do they have any private rooms for 5 tables? anyone knows?

midas

hi pigcess,

their private rm only can put 1 or 2 tables max...for 5 tables, u can hold it at the stage area, they will draw a certain to separate u from the public dinners..still consider as partial private
happy.gif

pigcess

oh ok, thanks for the fast reply midas! will the partition help in reducing noise level? i'm a little concerned as i've seen before, a couple holding their dinner and sharing the place with public diners. anyway, i'll also explore doing only 1 or 2 tables.
happy.gif

midas

hi pigcess, if ur event is during weekday afternoon, not many public diners will be around coz PJ is not a popular biz lunch place..the one or two tables of diners during my AD is those ang mohs eating quietly n sipping wine type..i felt as if i had the whole restaurant to myself during my AD
happy.gif

hi poohise, u got mail...

lab_baby79

hi

I am holding my AD on 26may07.
i manage to get 30L beer and pojector cost to be wavied off..it's really depends on how you nego..

sunbubble

lab_baby79 > how much are you paying for each table? I think it's not solely depend on how we negotiate, but also the price you are paying for.

lovelytulips

hi all,

just a check from all of you... since PJ's package is nett, with the increase in GST next year, will they ask us to absorb it? or do we still pay the nett price regardless of the GST increase?

thanks!

merry christmas!!

blue_skies

I had a look at the contract which we signed with PJ, there's a para which mentions that the price quoted "includes 10% service charge, prevailing government taxes inluding GST" - I assume that means no additional costs already. The nett price would include everything... so if you sign the contract with PJ based on X price they quote you, any increase in GST thereafter would have to be absorbed by PJ.

sunbubble

Not exactly true, I have checked with PJ on that clause and Pauline clarified that any increase in prevailing govt taxes & cess will be absorbed by us (not PJ) as she told me any increase in taxes are not revenue to them.

wola

midas
thanks for your quick response. You look very nice in the CS. After looking at your photos, I also feel like wearing CS for my wedding. haha.

sunbubble

Has anyone tried using Pamela & Kenny's supervisor, "Leon"? as emcee? I like to hear feedbacks about his service. Thanks.

bb_queen

Yes, I was told exactly what lab baby79 said.

May I know what are the common complaints of Peony Jade besides the narrow aisle?

sunbubble

My close friend was telling me that if using PJ entire premise for banquet, then certain guests will be sitting very near to the toilet and another table close to the staircase.

Guess I will be encountering this as I will be using their maximum capacity.

bb_queen

SB,

You have signed up already? When is your date? I am considering PJ as well - or rather, sort of decided on it. This is the only restaurant I have been to and I really have no mood to go restuarant shopping. Just want to get it over and done with.

sunbubble

Hi BB Queen,

Yes I have signed up with PJ and my banquet will be held in Nov next year.

I have not finalised the details in the contract cos am afraid after sign up, cannot make more changes as everything has been agreed on.

pchosg

hi gals
we also took up their max for our dinner on dec n feedback fr our guests have been marvellous on atmosphere, service n food. so no worries. however do advise yr guests tat t rest t location as we have frs couldnt find t place.

paunic

hi all!

i have signed up for PJ for 01Dec07...

Pchosg... so u took the table that was in the VIP room also? It is really my concern that the table seems so excluded.. May i ask who are ur guests that are assigned to that table?

blur_queenie

Hi,

Can anyone share the wedding package/solemnisation for 2007 with me? I did send them an email but no reply. Actually i'm planning for 2008 but afraid that date has been taken up thus the early preparation.
Kindly email to: [email protected]

Thanks a lot!

lab_baby79

Hihi Jojo,

I think you better give them a call instead.

Hi shups,

I may also taking the table in the VIP room due to area constraints. My HB is planning to assign tat table for his ex-colleagues likely.

lovelytulips

hi lab_baby,

you confirm that the 2% increast in GST will be absorbed by us? cos it shows nett, thought it should be included?

have not got my contract via mail, maybe should call them up and check.

anyone took the solemnization at the quayside instead of the restaurant.

lab_baby79

Lovelytulips,

I called and confirm that the additional gst charges will be bear by us. I intially also thought tat PJ shd absorb themselves.

My contract is signed on 2006.

Cheers,

chrismel

I'm interested wf PJ too ..
Can someone send me the menu ?? I cant find it in their website.. I manage to get their price only.

Btw I tot if we sign up b4 the GST increase then we dun hv to pay tat 2% right?? tis is wat normally others places r doing right ?? They ll absorb for us tat 2% wat .

paunic

hi PJ brides, when i paid the deposit in Dec2006, PJ told me the GST increase wld be bear by us too...

received the draft contract yesterday.

hi lab_baby79

thanks for sharing.. yah think to allocate the VIP room to ex-colleagues seems appropriate...

hi lovelytulips

in fact i was thinking to have the solemnization at quayside at first, but it seems a bit early since PJ only allow us to use the place from 6.30pm to 7.30pm.

So I decided to use the place for Cocktail reception for early birds and after proceed to the restaurant for solemnization at ard 7.45pm. Think most of the guests would arrive only by then.

hi christine

why dun u give them a call and visit them? like that u can see the menu (hard copy), table layout & setting etc... I dun hav a scanner so cant scan it and email to u leh.

agnes_011207

Dear all,

I've just paid $1K deposit to book my dinner on 03Dec07. I booked the $498 package.

Have a good chat with Pamela, restaurant manager, who is friendly. But be careful... There are some hidden costs which are not stated upfront.
1. Projector rental will be charged at $150. They will not tell you until you receive the contract from Pauline. (I complained to Pamela and she's going to ask for waiver from Pauline.)
2. If you booked 18 tables but only use 15 on actual night, they'll only let you keep one for future consumption. (This was not told to me earlier, even when I asked. She said "yes yes you can keep the tables.")
3. (Any more to contribute??)

There are also some hidden perks which are not stated upfront so they use it to "bargain" with you.
1. Car park can be easily negotiated to 30%.
2. Wedding cards can also be easily asked for 70%.
3. Food tasting for 6 people. But if you pay the balance by cash or cheque on that night, they'll give 10 people complementary. (They hid this fact and say they'll give me 8 people complementary as if she's kind. Then she gave me 10 finally. Seems good? But guess what she told me this afternoon over the phone? She forgot about her tactics and told me that this is a perks which she sometimes forget to tell customers.)

My last words/comments... Although I agree that their ambience is great, food and service may be as good as mentioned by pchosg, I'm very upset with Pauline, their executive director's (boss) attitude. I have a BAD experience with her this afternoon. I called her regarding the contract she emailed me, telling her that it was in a mess. She shouted at me as if it's my fault, telling me that it's due to virus.
Come on... who's the customer?? She refused to discuss with me on the contract, asking me to talk to Pamela before getting back to her and hung up my call. Haiz... what to do?? Already sunk my $1K.