Novotel Clarke Quay

thommy

pris: iirc, they have chopsticks, small serving plate, shower gel, keychain, luggage tag, glass paperweight...think thats abt it.

prisci11a

thomas, thank you
happy.gif
... heee.... mb i can go ask HL if i can dun want the hotel favors, got any discount, cos i found some really pretty candles @ $2.00 each from HKG website and considering...hahahahh... :p

i think i really to free.....

joyle_t

pris>> i also tot of getting my own favours and asking for "discount"! i am tempted by the heart shape measuring spoons.. =\

actually more concern with the deco, no new theme coming up? cos' the 2011 package also stated flowers/crystals... which is the same.. i thot i wld see something different.

joyle_t

hi faye>> whats ur consideration for BS? cos' the rest of us got quite different BS to recommend to u.. u looking for one-stp? ala-carte?

faye_sf

Thomas: thanks! It's a relief to strike 1 big item off my list.. =) oh.. They have luggage tag.. Cos heard from a fren not many places offer luggage tags..

Joyle: hmm.. We prefer inclusion of everything but may most likely get our own AD PG & VG.. Actually Im not too sure what's the basic that a BS provides.. Lol guess it's e gowns and pre wedding shots?

flowerbride

Morning! I'm back in action again. Shifted into our new home last sunday! One big item struck off the list.

My weddding is in 3 wks time, and we have not sent our invitation cards! We are surely the slowest. What to do, we were so busy with work and whatever free time that my HTB has, his parents / family will hijack him to fetch them around singapore and do lots of errands.

We were supposed to go see and buy those GDL stuff from Chinatown this weekend, but his parents booked him to deliver invitation cards, fetch them around for suit/gown fitting etc etc. So I'll just stay home and do the invite cards and hope he ends his errands before those chinatown shop closes. Can't involve my own family members cos my mom and sis say all these things are so troublesome and they prefer to shop the GSS.

BTW, any recommendation on which shop is good and reasonable for these GDL stuff. Any contacts for wedding cakes? HTB looking at bengawan solo, but my mom say it's too cheap and she don't like. So I need help to settle the cakes and GDL stuff. Thomas has any recommendations?

Joyle: HTB said the stage backdrop looks shabby, no impact. He wanted to get his own event company to 'vamp' up the backdrop. I stopped him and tell him not to create additional task to do cos his parents will occupy all his free time and I'll end up doing the co-ordination for backdrop. Spare Me! haha.

Regards favours, we chose chopsticks and small saucers.

prisci11a

Hi Flower, if you want to have everything 1-stop for GDL, can go to IMM, there is a shop - wedding cottage on 2nd floor. they sell ready packed baskets.. but not cheap... or else u can try chinatown...

for the xi bing, can choose to give either bangawan solo or polar voucher or else, buy the traditional xi bing.. what is ur dialect? there is a old bakery near bt timah that does xi bings... or if you can, maybe got JB get, at holiday inn plaza got a shop selling all the wedding stuff on the basement floor and can recce for xi bing dian there....
i think i saw in the forums got ppl discussing about GDL also...

prisci11a

joyle, the measuring spoons, you can check out sgweddingfavors... i found the Orchard hotel key blanks!! soo happy.. now have to find out what they costs and if htb will say ok....

from what i heard from HL last round, they only adding or changing color scheme leh - cos i asked if they will include the purple deco, but not changing the flowers / crystals...

faye, luggage tags sound intersting... hmm, mb can ask HL wat they look like...

thommy

joyle: well, when I was choosing my theme that time, HL told me NCQ planning to have new themes...maybe u can check with her?

flower: u can try this shop in chinatown complex level 1 called 'KK Marriage Goods', I got all my GDL stuff from there. Lady boss is Jenny, very friendly and she will ask u for ur dialect group and tell u what are those u need and dun need.

For GDL cakes, I got from Pine Garden...marble butter cake. They were delicious...all my relatives love it.

haha, I chose the chopsticks and small serving plate also! I'm using them now when I cook sometimes
happy.gif

flowerbride

Thanks Joyle and Thomas for the recommendation. Will tell HTB the recommendations. Did some research and it seems that certain shop can sell the same GDL things at higher prices. I think as long as we think the price is not exorbitant, we will just get since not much time already. tsk tsk.

Thomas, I happened to have visit KK marriage good and spoke to Jenny too. She is indeed friendly. Are her prices reasonable? I like that she has this 'dragon pheonix' candle that will not be 'blown off'. Anyone bought that? Man, I was worried about the candles cos my house is super super windy. And my altar is pretty high. My mom even said do without the 'dragon pheonix' candle or dont light it. That's how new age my mom is. hehe.

Hahaha. We actually chose the same favours! Thought they were cute and useful. I must try to keep at least 2 sets of each
happy.gif

joyle_t

flower>> pris give recommendation lah, not me! haha~ I found this site from the adverts on Facebook... http://www.shuangxile.com/

my MIL bought the GDL stuff from chinatown, the shop below the HDB block, behind the famous porridge place... can check the place out too.. I tot some can give invitations on GDL?

i also tot that the backdrop not very nice... think cinnamon ballroom's nicer..

brendancer

I should think there will be more themes coming up with NCQ lah, cos my AD is in Sept 2011 leh...don't think they will never improve? hahha.

joyle_t

brendancer>> we all hoping for the best! i saw the 2011 package cos' they just published during the last BOWS, really really only have crystal and flowers theme (which is the same as past packages)... =\

will ask them, if never change, then think we have to make them do something for a change cos' the themes has been like this for some time..

pinkyloving

i oso dun like the backdrop! >.<

I understand from Jack tt they r proposing to hab themes to e management. Hopefully mgt will approve..

Those who have went to the Novotel Sales last month, the black &amp; purple theme...is what Jack is referring..

joyle_t

janel>> thanks for updating! praying hard that they really change some things.. cos' i think the banquet coordinators also sian to see the same thing all the time.. ha~

thommy

flower: her prices are the cheapest, u can go scout ard the other 3 shops there on the same level if u wanna have peace of mind =)

I bought the latest version of 'unisex' candles as recommended by Jenny. Unisex as in both candles also got picture of dragon and phoenix on it. This is to eliminate chances of the groom bringing back the wrong candles! haha. Also told me this type if smokeless and also odourless so I bought it...however one thing no good abt it is they are damn thick! Took almost 3 days to completely burnout LOL. If you are worried, probably u shld get the traditional types which are much thinner and burn out in a couple of hours' time.

prisci11a

thomas, omg.... the candles soo hard to burn out...peng lor... the candles are burn at husband's house or new house ah? i nvr notice where my frens burn...zzzz....

if we will stay at my house after wedding, can i just burn at his house? or else his mum say he ru jiu..... hahahah

thommy

ya pris...tell me abt it...after lighting in our new house we were so scared it will catch fire while we were not ard cos no way we can stand guard there for 3days...luckily didn't hahaha...we even put an unused floor tile below the candles just in case!

so lesson learnt: never buy super thick candles cos they take ages to burn out hahahaha....

if he dun mind, of cos u can...but usually its both husband and wife light up theirs at the same time in their own respective houses before hair combing ceremony. For me and my wife, we lit ours at the same time (i.e 11pm) cos it signifies the next day already.

flowerbride

Thomas: We went to there last saturday. While we were selecting and learning all the traditions from Jenny, another pair of aunty/uncle were buying stuff for their son's marriage. And they kept interuppting, asking us to translate in english to them. Then another family cut in and want to get dates for wedding. As we were in a rush to catch a movie, we didnt complete our task. Told jenny we will return on Sunday. But unable to do so till now, cos HTB still busy driving all around SG to hand deliver invitation cards.

I'm keen on the dragon/pheonix candles cos my house is super windy. Good to hear it can burn for a long time. Really smokeless and odorless?

Do you mean that you have to bring the candles to your new home? Thomas, do you follow all the 'customs' that Jenny said? There are so so many.

I'm counting down to the big day liao. less than 3 weeks to freedom! But I still cant decide on my 1st and 2nd march in songs.

cheer7

faye: if u wan to view my weddin gown, can add me in fb... standard BS package include gowns, pre-wedding shot, AD make-up, etc... as for AD PG &amp; VG, usually BS dun provide...

pris: our selection is cup, saucer, chopstick, fork n spoon, luggage tag, keychain, candles.. tt's all i can remember... jus a thot... if e rebate is not much for the weddin favor, n u need to top up quite a bit for the weddin favor, then maby jus still to wat e hotel has... cos realise mos of e time, ppl bought back e weddin favour, n it will b cast aside.. u may even c some of them laying on e table aft e bandquet end..

flower: gettin use to ur new hse? thot e candle s burn at our parent place... cos it s suppose to b lighted the same time as the groom goes out to fetch the bride... as for GDL, can try pine garden @ AMK... their cakes r nice.. my friend has those traditional cream cakes (10 pc).. the cakes r yummy... mine was bought from JB (yong sheng), traditional biscuit type.. enjoy e last 3 wks of preparation!
happy.gif

thommy

flower: yes, really smokeless and odourless, no bullshit. Verified by me lol. I lit my pair of candles in our new home, my wife lit hers in her home
happy.gif

To be honest, I didn't follow everything she said...its up to u how pantang u are really. don't worry too much, customs are for one-time only, marriage is for a lifetime
happy.gif

haha our choice of songs were easily solved...my wife selected her fav song as our 1st march-in song, I chose my fav song as the 2nd one. Maybe it helped that we liked both songs also hehe.

enjoy ur countdown! I miss mine really
happy.gif

flowerbride

cheer:yup, getting used to the new house liao. lucky my mom just stay opposite block so I can just cross over for dinner. Less traumatic for me.

HTB and I like pine garden cakes too. He brought his parents to pine garden last sat, his parents not too 'impressed'. Still dont want to decide and want to 'see see' even though my GDL is next friday, 16 July. As of last Friday, 2 July, MIL still havent tailor her dress for the dinner banquet. And my wedding is 3 weeks time.

Thomas: Thank you for verifying. Hahaha. Very relieved to hear the 'candle - claims' are true. I was very overwhelmed with all the customs when she told me we must get new towels to use + must bring to hotel. Towels for his parents. Must wear slippers cos feet cannot touch ground. Bride's parents must give so many types of angpow - for his father's suit, for hubby's pants, for hubby's land, for hubby's bday etc etc. Charcoal underneath pillow and at the feet of bed to be prosperous from head to toe. silver coins at all four corners of bed. Bride to be shelthered by red umbrella, bride's parents to throw rice, bride to throw paper-fan on the floor before getting into car. Bride's brother to pick up umbrella. Bride must kick door 3 times before alighthing from car etc etc etc. And she havent even finish telling me everything. Faint.

We are getting 'A Little Dream' to perform at the wedding. Selected a list of songs but e 2 most impt songs are still missing.

thommy

flower: u are so lucky...stay so near ur mum, anytime also can go over for meals or just to see her. For me, although it isn't that far but still quite a hassle
sad.gif
I was terribly homesick for the 1st one mth or so and I can sense my mum misses me too
sad.gif
Now still getting used to life slowly...

My GDL cakes from Pine Garden too, I got the butter marble cake which tasted really fresh!

hahahahhaaa...well, that's customs for u =)

prisci11a

cheer,yup... htb also said the same, so not going to waste the $$ to do this....

flower, so many pantang... OMG.... dunno how u will follow lor... hahahah..

flowerbride

Cheer: Thank you for the links. You are such a sweetie.

priscilla: Yah! I was shocked. Just listening to her gave me a headache. I told my mom. she said she didnt even do those things during her time. Mom is happily married with 3 healthy children and we dote on her and dad. Dad is faithful and dont even talk to strangers, much less ladies. Thus my conclusion, dont need to follow all the 'customs'. But HTB side very traditional.

Oh. regards the candles, we are taking the biggest size. Cos my HTB family likes to upsize everything. My HTB waist is also upsized.

flowerbride

Thomas: cannot try to extinguish it? Like spraying water? hahaha. Since it can't be blown off.

HTB just mentioned his parents decided on Pine Garden. Does the groom family need to distribute cakes too? Cos his dad ordered 24 cakes but my mom only requested for 8. Means my HTB has to spend 2-3 days going to 16 locations to distribute cakes?

prisci11a

flower, mb at his side, they burn the big one, for your sideu change to the skinny, smaller ones...
they dun come to ur house, they will not know wat.... hahahahah

joyle_t

woah.. i see the info frm what the lady said i also blur liao...

Think the best is just do the things that both side understand.. Sometimes u give things to the other side/they give to u, if u dunno the meaning, also difficult to reciprocate with the correct procedures..

flower, jia you! I can't imagine when I'm at your stage. somemore my GDL will be on my ROM day and during CNY.. Most impt is you dun tire out urself and look fresh and glowing on ur special day!

babyangel_86

hi all..lont time no see...like alot of new pple hor..hmm..hw is everyone..hehe...so busy with things lor..and last week my parents juz meet my HTB parents to discusss the GDL stuff lor..

thomas:..i also thinking of getting cakes from pine garden..did u rent the GDL basket from them?..is it a 3 tier basket?..u only get the butter marble cake is it?..did u try their fruits tarts and swill rolls?..cos i dunno wat to get lor..hehe..they r famous for their butter cakes is it?

flowerbride

prisci11a: hahaha. you are right. not going to tell the in-laws and give myself more inconvenience.

joyle: Your big day is Feb 2011? Have you got a bridal boutique yet? I'm v thankful that I engaged Ted Collection to MTM all my gowns. I totally enjoyed the whole process and results. The gowns are my happiest and best experience since I dont have to worry, the great people at Ted Collection just take care of everything for me. They are even coming to my wedding banquet to make sure I look good. Told me to just leave things to them, they will run the show. Just fabulous people.

Actually I was very very stressed, very very emo. My tcm doc and his medicine helped a lot. I'm feeling very good this week cos it's already so near the big day, most things are accomplished. I just have to get over the GDL and then, concentrate on relaxing and looking good for the wedding. I'm finally starting to 'enjoy' a bit. Haha. Giving myself 4 days of work to rest for the wedding. So the 4 days will be used to beautify myself and hanging out with friends. It's really wonderful after the long preparation. Like the sun is finally shining. For wedding banquet, I've finalised my seating arrangement. I'm only in charge of 6 tables for my friends seating. so it's simple.

Thomas and cheer: are there anything that i have to look out for during the banquet? NCQ served aussie wine? Do I need to ask for their wine list and decide? Cos FIL seem quite particular about wine and is pushing us to use his friend cos his friend has a business in wine retailing / distribution. But per bottle will also cost around $40-$50.

prisci11a

flower, corkage is $15 at NCQ..... the wine retailing @ 40-50.... so expensive lor.... for wedding wines, most suppliers give stock on consignment or else big discount, ur FIL fren got give discount de mah? otherwise if the wine is not that special, just go for NCQ house wine la... about $25 after plus plus..... unless ur guest are wine connosiuers or pretend to be, i think the house wine is sufficient lor....

otherwise, ask Jack / HL if they can waive corkage if u bring a few atas bottles just for ur FIL... and the rest to take NCQ bottles..... hahahah

flowerbride

prisi11a: According to FIL, the wine cost $60+ per bottle and his friend gave discount so it cost $40-$50. I also dont think it's worth and find it a hassle to buy additonal wines. Just keep it simple and let NCQ take care of it. He has been nagging at HTB thus HTB told me to check with HL on the wines being served. I told him to check with HL directly. If FIL wan to sponsor the wine, I'm okie lah. Just dont inconvenience me
happy.gif
happy.gif

prisci11a

flower, if ur FIL so enthu but both of u dun want to action... den all diam diam lor...

my thot is that it does not matter way NCQ serve, it will not be good enough de lor...that is just me lah... :p

thommy

flower: no no no...u cannot extinguish the candles yrself, its bad luck...supposed to let it burn out by itself.

as for the cakes, I collected all my 18 boxes and brought them along together with my other GDL stuff to my wife's house on GDL day. From there, my MIL distributed to her relatives, I didn't go with her. I took back 6 boxes for my side only...fuss free really. Better check with ur ILs if they really insist on ur hubby delivering them personally...I know some does.

as for the wine, not worth since so exp...NCQ's house wines really not bad to be honest. If u bring in yr own, dun forget u gotta pay for the corkage as mentioned by pris...end up will be very exp leh.

hannah: no, I borrowed my GDL basket from my mum hahahahaa....red red one somemore. Yes, only got the butter marbled cake cos my relatives and ILs side quite traditional, they dun like all those fancy tarts and what nots. Yeah, their butter cakes are fresh and nice! All my relatives loved it...esp my wife hahaha.

flowerbride

priscilla: You are right. Whatever we do is not good enough for my FIL. So now I learn to ignore his words. Lucky I dont see him often. But HTB gets the full force of his nagging.

Thomas: Oh, cannot extinguish the candles ah. Then must convince HTB to get the small n skinny candles. I think HTB has to hand deliver cakes cps he also had to fetch his parents around the island to hand deliver invite cards.

Regards wine, if FIL so insistent on getting outside wine, will just let him and make sure he pay for corkage too. He's happy, willing to pay, we also have less nagging. HTB said he had finally stopped nagging over our hotel choice. I also better 'advise' the banquet manager to stay clear of my FIL on that night. Want to ensure the banquet manager is in the right frame of mind to do a beautiful wedding for me
happy.gif

cheer7

flower: NCQ wine not bad as thomas say n most guest cant differentiate the difference... does ur FIL has lots of friends drinking wine? if not, mayb wat e NCQ provide s enough 4 e banquet.. but if ur FIL s paying, then let him hav his way ;) glad tt ur GDL cake s settle...

pris: if u r getting e small one, jus ensure tt u hav e stand for e candles...

joyle_t

flower>> my ROM in feb'11, banquet in Mar'11. got everything already.. so slacking now.. just went for evening gown fitting today... heard bt Ted collection too, quite impressed, but i got mine frm Blush Blush at Club St cos' the designer does the gown, hair, make-up, basically do everything, only liaise with him..

like Thomas said, my htb also tried the wine, he say not bad, and his taste same as his dad, so think my FIL will be ok also. if ur FIL really wants to use his friend's, maybe is cos' of "face", ppl do biz always like that, then let him bring "some" in, i read in some blogs, the restaurant normally will charge corkage if u bring wine frm else where, but got ppl explain they wan different wine for different dishes and they nv charge corkage leh..

thommy

flower: if ur FIL is paying, let him have his way ba...less conflicts better
happy.gif

hahahaha...clever move...dun make them blur, make sure they give u undivided attention for the whole nite!

prisci11a

cheer, normal candle stands ok hor? my mum now sooo excited.... she going shanghai and asking me if i want to buy anything there for my wedding ... cos i was thinking of the super chinese theme .... hahahaha...... she said she going to get a cheong sam... hahah

flower, maybe ur new tai ci can be - "if he wants to pay for it, he can have it".... hahahahahah..... since is already tooo late for him to do anything to drastic.... anyway, dun let him spoil ur mood, try to relax

cheer7

pris: should b able too.. mus imptly u buy oledi try it in e candle stand, if cant then get e candle stand... ur mum mayb able to get some of e weddin stuff at a cheaper $ there... since wat they sell here may oso b imported fro china...

flowerbride

cheer, joyle and thomas: great to know the NCQ wine is not bad. I should think so too. I mean it's a 4 star hotel, they wont serve bad wine and affect their own reputation right. Just that maybe FIL is fussy and probably wants 'face'. So I will just let him do what he wants with the wine as long as he pay. Give in a bit lor, since we refused to change our hotel even though he offered to cover all expenses.

prisilla: yah! i remembered you want the super oriental red red theme. Should be really fun. Great that your mom is super enthu too
happy.gif
Hahaha. I think family and friends support are key to whether you enjoyed your wedding preparation or not.

I feel happy that I can 'pass the baton' and tell you to 'have fun and enjoy the process'.
happy.gif
Hahaha. Cos I'm already in my last stage of wedding preps liao.

prisci11a

cheer, hahah.... i also dunno wat to ask her to get....mb will tell her to get the long fung displays... anything that is super chinese looking.... even if dun use as hotel deco, use for room also fun .... hahaha

flower, i wish my wedding was sooner... den can do something, i finished all i can do at the moment, so a bit bored, cos i got nothing to do..... hope i will enjoy my turn when its nearer to my turn.... still long way, may 2011 lo...

My mum also didn't like NCQ at first either, but she has given in... she loves any excuse to shop la and she always can find really nice stuff so is good to get her to buy, plus i no need to pay.......hahahahah