New Zealand

pisduck

a pic at nugget point
114174.jpg

kite~

hi pisduck,

wow nice romantic pic. i can see e Nugget point from far. i also heard from those travllers that the road to Nugget point is very dangerous.

maylim

Hi, can anyone of you help me to plan the most relaxing, fun and scenic tour of only 8 days 6 nites in New Zealand? I saw all of your itinerary and seems so much fun... but i cann't afford to stay too long... so any one kind to suggest the places which i should not miss... he he.. i hope to do horse riding and see "lords of the rings".. is it possible? u can post her or my email [email protected]

Cheers

missy

Hi tohdj,

that's a great deal from hertz! was quite surprise to see that rate as Hertz is known to be super ex. just ensure that there are no hidden charges.

Hi Maylim,

there are package to go to the LOTR sites. you can check out when you reach any i-site. anyway, i find that NZ has very nice scenery...and every angle seems to be taken from the LOTR shot
happy.gif
personally i find 8 days 6 nights too short to tour in NZ. you may want to go somewhere else and return to NZ when you have more leave on hand.

chenoa

Pisduck,

yup...Catlins is not top on the list when travel to south island as it's more remote and more wilderness.

I know the map of south island pretty well after looking through the travel guides and 'analysing' the places of interest. Suggest that those interested to go NZ go to the National Library and borrow Frommers or The Rough Guide. I also borrowed a pictorial guide which is rather entertaining as it's colourful and easy to read.

Note that summer is their peak season!

pisduck

yep, the road to nugget point is not exactly safe. some parts of it are so narrow that only 1 coach can go through at 1 time. i.e. if there is traffic in both directions, prob 1 party has to reverse to somewhere where the road is wider to allow the other car through... imagine reversing down a slope beside a cliff...
sad.gif

luckily for us, when we went up to nugget point, there was no car in opp direction...

maylim

Hi SSF & Kite

Ohhhh... yar..me & hb dun have enough leave to go too long... oso my budget is hopefully $5K for 2 persons... but we can't think of anywhere liao... hb travel a lot... so left only like NZ which he is interested... australia is out for him (he went there many times),... so i oso dun noe whr else can we go... he he... but i guess we will still proceed on as really can't think of whr else to go....

Now thinking should we get those air newzealand F&E package or should we book hotel along the way?Seems the package might be cheaper but have to book all hotels in singapore...anyone have suggestions?

Wherer is the 'must go' places huh?
happy.gif

iloveoreo

<font color="0000ff">maylim</font>
8 days seems a little short but you can still catch most of NZ scenic spots.
I spent abt. 10 days there and spent less than $2.5K per person inclusive of everything.
You might want to consider the below itinenary for an 8 day 7 nite stay.

Day 1 - Christchurch
Day 2 - Take TranzAlpine from Christchurch to Greymouth
- Rent a car from Greymouth
- Drive to Franz Josef (~ 2hrs)
Day 3 - Do a half-day glacier tour
- Drive thru' Haast, Wanaka, Cromwell and onto Queenstown (~ 6hrs)
Day 4 - Queenstown
Day 5 - Queenstown to Dunedin (~ 4hrs)
Day 6 - Dunedin to Mt. Cook (~ 4hrs)
Day 7 - Mt. Cook to Lake Tekapo to Christchurch (~ 4hrs)
Day 8 - Christchurch

tohdj

SSF,

Hertz has a lot of cars parked in their garages during off-peak...so their rates are very cheap during these periods.

Zenn,

Hanmer (not hammer) springs has thermal pools. Go there if you intend to soak in it. Kaikoura has dolphin and whale watching cruises, and good fish N chips....go if you're keen on these.

Don't miss out on Mt. Cook's walks...

zenn

Hi Eggie,

I get what you mean now. Guess it will be a different experience. Any idea how much does it cost?

According to the website, it will depart at 815am and arrive at greymouth at 1245pm. From there we can rent a car. Just wondering is there alot of plc in Greymouth to visit or worth stayingovernite? Or should I just drive around Greymouth and proceed to Franz Josef the same day?

Hi cheona!!
Serene here from x YC! You planning to go NZ too?

Hi SSF,
Can share with us Hertz deal?

zenn

Hi tohdj,

Haha thanks for highlighting to me. I always thought its Hammer -_-

I would love to go to both esp Kaikoura but was told that the best time to watch dolphin n whale is the morning cruise which mean has to stay at Kaikoura the nite b4. Issit true?

My present plan is as below but we ve cfm 12nites instead. Wondering should I forgo both Hanmer and Kaikoura or continue fm Franz Josef to Kaikoura but journey easily 6hrs 40mins. Any better planning of the trip?

D1 : Christchurch
D2 : Christchurch via Ashburton to Mt Cook (4hrs)
D3 : Mt Cook via Fairlie/Twizel via Oamaru to Dunedin (4hrs 15mins)
Mt to Twizel (45mins)
Twizel – Oamaru (2hrs)
Omamaru to Dunedin (1hr 30mins)
D4 : Dunedin to Lumsden Farm Stay (1hr 30min)
D5 : Lumsden Farm Stay via Te Anau to Milford Sound (cruise overnite)
D6 : Milford Sound to Te Anau (1hr 30mins)
D7 : Te Anau to Queenstown (2hrs 15mins)
D8 : Queenstown
D9 : Queenstown via Cromwell/Arrowtown to Wanaka (1hr 20mins)
D10 : Wanaka via Haast to Franz Josef Glacier (3hrs 45mins)
D11 : Franz Josef Glacier via Greymouth to Hanmer Spring (4hrs 50mins)
D12 : Hanmer Spring to Kaikoura (1hr 30mins)
D13 : Kaikoura via Waipara to Christchurch (2hr 15mins)
D14 : Christchurch to SIN

iloveoreo

<font color="0000ff">zenn</font>
There's nothing much to see at Greymouth.
The main draw is the Tranzalphine. It's very scenic. Don't sleep in the train!!!
Half way thru the journey, the train will make a stop at Arthur's Pass before proceeding across to Greymouth.
When you reach greymouth, it will be afternoon..
There's a hypermart just down the road, very near the railway stn. Get whatever you need and then proceed down to Franz Josef.
By the time you reach Franz Josef, it will be abt.3-4pm. Try to reach Franz Josef before dark. The roads can be pretty narrow there but definitely safe to drive.

zenn

Hi Oreo,

Thanks! Noted.

I remember someone mentioned that she went for day trip from Christchurch to Kaikoura. Can share wif me ur experience? Cos my concern is will I be able to see dolphin/whale if I join afternoon cruise.

maylim

Hi Oreo

Thank you very much for your suggestions... i will plan according to your intinerary... u seems my 'saving star'... hehe... at least someone give me some idea as to whr to go..
happy.gif
feel a bit uncertain at first coz my stay seems short compare to most of you here.... Can i ask.. your day 1 in christchurch meaning i stay overnite at christchurch and then day 2 then travel by the train, izzit? Coz i thought if you say 7 nites, that means it is a 9 day 7 nites trip, izzit? Acutally, I hope to cover (milford cruise, see glow worm and go lords of the ring places, do horse riding, mt cook, franz josef &amp; arrowtown), is it possible? Can you advise how should i plan my self drive and trip if i really hope to see those places i mentioned? If really can't, then i might stick to your suggestions...Sorry for asking so many questions...

Tks v much!

Cheers

iloveoreo

<font color="0000ff">Maylim,</font>
The places that you wanna go will definitely take you more than 8 days to complete!!
Ok, this is what i think i can do for you.
happy.gif

Day 1 - Sin to Christchurch (overnite at Christchurch)
Day 2 - Take TranzAlpine from Christchurch to Greymouth, rent a car from Greymouth, drive to Franz Josef (~ 2hrs) (overnite at Franz Josef)
Day 3 - Do a half-day glacier tour, drive thru' Haast, make a rest stop at Knight's Point,thru' Wanaka, cromwell (~ 6hrs) (overnite at Queenstown)
Day 4 - Queenstown-a day trip to milford sound by cruise/coach (overnite at Queenstown)
Day 5 - Queenstown, horse riding at queenstown (half day) and other activities (overnite at Queenstown)
Day 6 - Queenstown to arrowtown to Mt. Cook (~ 4-5hrs) (overnite at mt. cook)
Day 7 - Mt. Cook to Lake Tekapo to Christchurch (~ 4hrs) (overnite at christchurch)
Day 8 - Christchurch to Sin

You might want to check out the below site for the excursions to milford sound and the horse riding.
http://realjourneys.co.nz/

As for the glow-worms cave, don't think it's worth the money and time to go.
For those LOTR sites, i doubt you can see any "remains" coz' after the filming wraps up, the film crew had to restore the site to its original landscape. Some of these sites are in the cantebury region and spread all over the north and south island, unless you wanna check out the LOTR studio in wellington (north island).

maylim

Hi Oreo

Tks for your email...

1) You indicated day 1 - sin to christchurch... but i checked with air newzealand and they say usually is nite flight in singapore and reach nz in the morning... so why your day 1 is overnite at christchurch? sorry... v mountain tortoise...does your 8 days include travelling time? you seems to indicate 7nites 8 days include travelling time, izzit?

2) for the milford curise, the link show that it is abt NZ 122 to NZ 185 per person... is it so expensive? should we book in internet or when we reach there?

Tks so much.... sorry to bother u....

zenn

Hi Oreo,

Wow you really gd ya! Very nice n helpful of you
happy.gif
Like to check wif you on the itinerary you planned for maylim for day 3 - how long is usually the half day glacier tour? Would we be too tired to continue driving after the half day tour?

Hi Maylim,
I believe Oreo's day 1 referring to the day you touch down at NZ. If you are counting the day you depart fm sin, it will become day 2...

iloveoreo

<font color="0000ff">maylim</font>
you're welcome. i would definitely love to go back to NZ again. It's a very beautiful place and i also want you gals to enjoy as much as you can while you're there!
happy.gif

My day 1 itinenary starts from the day you touch down at Christchurch.
Day 0 is the day you leave Singapore.
Yup. my eight days include travelling.

For the Milford cruise, yup. It's pretty expensive but the price is around there.
If you have more time, driving there is a cheaper option.
You don't have to book online, can book there. However, please check what time you are supposed to depart coz' Milford cruise is a whole day event. and if you use my itinenary, you will reach queenstown around evening time. By then, most of the booking offices would have already closed.

There's another site you might want to check out for the activities rates in queenstown.
http://www.thestation.co.nz

<font color="0000ff">zenn</font>
Oh yah.. you mention a very good point regarding the glacier walk.
It starts in the morning at around 9. the walk is abt. 3.5-4 hrs.
I can tell you that if you're the type that don't exercise at all, the walk is strenous!
It's like mountain climbing on ice. You have to wear the ice talons (special boots) and mind you, the boots are not light! you might feel ache after the climb.
My friends were panting after the climb but happy coz' they lost weight (doing this climb and the hike at Hooker valley at Mt. Cook.
It's an experience! But if your hubby is driving, shouldn't be a prob. Guys are usuallly quite tough!

Oh, here's the link for the glacier trip. It's best to book in advance to get the time of departure that you want. http://www.nzguides.com/halfdaytours.html

chenoa

Hi Zenn,

Ahh....silver! How's your wedding?

Was planning to go NZ for HM, but likely to change destination after I showed my hubby my self-drive itinery. He prefers to sit-in-coach, and let the tour work for him - "not so tiring". Therefore, we intend to wait for the NATAS fair in Sept and see if we can get a good package to Hokkaido in Jan. We have been thinking about a Japan trip for a long time too.
happy.gif

maylim

Dear Oreo

Thank u very much for all these great infos... now i can go and plan my itinerary.

Chaos and best wishes

rihini

Zenn

Have you booked your flight? Just realized that the fares have gone up! For the same departure and return dates, I was quoted $907. Now it's $925. {sob sob}

maylim

Hi SSF

I saw that you posted NZ99 for milford sound. Did you depart from Te Anue or depart from Queenstown? Did you drive up or take a coach? Coz i saw to take coach, must pay abt NZ 100 +... expensive leh..mind to share with me?

missy

hi maylim,

i book the milford cruise from atomic shuttle when i reached te anau. It's in the real journey travel agency. it is NZ99 ..it will pick you from your accomodation early in the morning and when you return its abt evening time.

remember to bring along some food so that you can eat in the cruise. food in the cruise are buffet style.

missy

hi maylijm,

no problem at all....let me know if you have any other qns...i am still missing NZ even after 3 mths i am back. sigh! my hubby missed those fun times we have it there too...so i guess all of you will have a good and memorable time in NZ! enjoy
happy.gif

zenn

Hi Oreo,
Thanks for sharing so much wif us. You are indeed a great help!

Back to the qn on Franz Josef Glacier via Haast to Wanaka. That means after the 1/2 day tour, we will go back to motel to shower and start driving? The journey fm JG to Wanaka takes almost 4hrs so I am worried would it be very tiring.

Also, by the time we reach Wanaka will be around 6pm. Thus cant do much thing over at Wanaka? Btw, wat can we expect from Wanaka?

Whats the diff btw hike at Hooker valley at Mt. Cook and Glacier Walk? Cos I am not those who exercise alot - doubt can tahan both hehe.

Hi Chenoa,
HELLO!!! My wedding is coming sun
happy.gif
How's ur preparation?

Hi Rihini,
Will be booking mine these 2 days. Don't mind me asking where did you check your price? Cos it's still at $840 if you book 90days b4 departure.

Hi SSF,
You took a day cruise? I am wondering issit worth to take an overnite crusie?

rihini

I checked at www.airnewzealand.com.sg and build my itinery through "start the booking". It will show the flight details and you can also choose the seats (or see the seats available if don't confirm the booking).

Funny, yesterday the ad. on the main page says "starts from $920*, today it says start from $870*." But my dates will cost me $975 today.

So confused. I booked my tickets yestderday.

zenn

Hi rihini,

I suggest you better call up and ask cos there was once the rate quoted was diff and when I checked with them they told it sys error.

Afterall, you are booking 90days adv so you should entitle to the $840 promo.

zenn

Hi Oreo,

Can I check how long will be take to drive fm Queenstown to Lumseden farmstay and fm farmstay to Milford Sound?

zenn

Pandan me, is Tramway one of the public transport in Churstchurch? Website shows that they charge $12.50 so I am wondering it's per trip or just pay $12.50 and you get to go to any of the 9 stations?

missy

Hi Zenn,

In Wanaka, u can go to puzzle world..go to wanaka lake(beside i-site), and do some shopping over the arcade.

And yes i took the day cruise. basically i find milford sound being over rated. there is nothing much to see there and staying overnight would be a waste.

there aren't any free buses circling in christchurch. THe only one is the tram which you need to pay. I have asked the same qn at the i-site. basically christchurch is easily accessible from the town hall to the cathedral sq and the arts museum. so you need not take the tram. do visit the arts market during weekend..a bazaar tat sells food and local stuffs.

kite~

hi SSF,

so it would be advise to skip Milford sound rite?
so far, no one actually mention abt going to Doubtful Sound, similar to Milford sound rite? thanks.

missy

Hi kite,

thanks for the updated news. gee i didn;t know bay of plenty is prone to earthquake. i only know napier has it.

based on my experience, i personally find that milford sound is worth erasing off..as it is too far down and not accessible. moreover it is basically sight seeing on a ship around with waterfalls...its almost the same everywhere in NZ. Doubtful Sound is similar to Milford sound but further down.

idono

well, if you just take a ship, a few hours on milford sound. you can only see, seal lions, maybe whales, waterfall. That's all.

The beauty &amp; serenity of milford sound is difficult to appreciate wif a 2-3hrs cruise.

But otherwise, yes, if you're not into serenity type of scenaries, skip milford &amp; doubtful. there's really "nothin" much. just quietness and splashing of waves and waterfall sounds.
happy.gif

pamela

zenn

Hooker Valley hike and Glacier climb is really different experiences.. should do both.. if you do half day Glacier climb (on different day)it shld be ok.. The Hooker Valley is quite an experience coz it simply feels great to be in the valley..surrounded by mountains and the glacier is mountain climbing on ice!

SSF
There were free buses circling in christchurch when I was there last Novemeber. Maybe cut cost.. cancelled already? hehe

missy

hi pam,

is it? the i-site staff told me there isn't. and the only bus i saw was the tram within the city...otherwise its their normal bus. but rest assured, christchurch is easily accessible. so should not have problem on transport.

pamela

SSF

I can't remember if I got the brochure from YHA or saw the sign at the bus stop.. anyway took those buses to Pak n Save
happy.gif

zenn

Hi SSF,
Noted! Thx! So beside botanic garden, what else is must visit in christchurch?

Err so there r other transport in christchurch beside tram? -confused- N $12.50 is per trip or ?

Hi SSF &amp; idona,
Ya ve to agree that the cruise is really not cheap. My hubby and I both love cruise n see but now is a matter of worth it or not?

Hi kite,
I booked my air tix liao! But that's to auckland oni rite? How long is the journey?

Hi pam,
Oh ok. Looks like I must really plan the schedule well. Think my hubby wif love both.

kite~

hi zenn,

wow u must be excited wow. me excited for u too. hehe most likely wil confirm gg to NZ next Jan after my AD.

Btw which airlines u booked from? price?

ur whole trip is based on f&amp;e self drive, 14Days12Nights? accomodation, car? u booked on ur own?
total how much? paiseh so many qs.

Kindly let me know cos i can plan early. thanks.

mngo

hi zenn, the only interesting thing i saw at christ church was at the museum they they made the Fudge. Other than that, there is a restaurant opposite south city shopping centre, called JOY (i think so) and they have good Chinese food.

zenn

Hi kite,
Ya very excited too. Just had my wedding and next will b planning for nz trip. I booked wif AirNZ at $840 (b4 tax). Ya based on F&amp;E for 11nites. I ve not book the car n accomodation. Now doing homework for all these too.

Initate plan is to stay one nite at milford or doubtful sound but wonder shd I or not and not cheap too. Any more advise on this?

Hi mngo,
Ok thx.

Hi rihini,
Did you manage to find out why urs more x?