Mandarin Oriental Singapore

alhana

I'll be having a pool-side buffet reception (dinner) at The Oriental next year. Any feedback on the food, decor, ambience?

honey

Had my co. annual dinner there a couple of yrs ago, only remember that other then the stage and buffet area, the rest of the place are quite dark. We cant even see what we eat clearly!

The ambience is not bad. But the way to the poolside is not that easy to find, cos u have to go thru a glass door, or isit some fitness centre?!?!?!?!!?

alhana

Hey Honey

Thanks for the feedback. I'll highlight them to the banquet mgr. Perhaps I can get some candles for the tables..to provide more lighting as well as improve the ambience. Yeah, its not easy to find so we better have maps put into the invite cards. Was the food & service alrite?

hwey

I went to my D&D last night at Oriental. The food is so-so. Nothing impressive. I thought the taste of the sharksfin was not strong enough.

C

clph1

Hi
Has anyone attended or held a wedding banquet (Chinese type) in Oriental recently? Would appreciate any comments, good or bad, regarding the decor, food, coordinating problems with the Oriental staff, freebies during wedding package discussion etc? Anything anyone wants to gripe or praise abt Oriental. Thanks.
Chris
happy.gif

J

janua

Hi Chris,

Wonder if you have alr met up with the Oriental banquet mgr. Well, my personal experience with them was not so good. After my FH told the banquet mgr that we decided not to take Oriental alr, the banquet mgr became quite rude and ended the tele-conversation abruptly. The reason why we didn't take up Oriental is that we were not very impressed with the way that they presented their proposal. The photo which they showed us looked kinda yellowish and old. Therefore, not very confident of their service. Well, of course the above is only my personal opinion. only.

C

clph1

Hi Janua
Thanks for the feedback. Well, I haven't met the banquet mgr yet, what's his/her name? BTW when did you meet up with the mgr, was it recently?

chris

hi Chris

i'm interested in booking with Oriental and hv deal with their banquet manager-her name is Jessie. I had a pretty good experience with her so was quite keen to book oriental. anyway, my wedding is 31 Oct 2001 and not many hotels for me to choose coz started my preparation pretty late. Don't judge by e photos coz taken quite some time back. I went down to see the setup abt 2 wks ago coz during e weekends, normally got wedding dinners held there. in any case, so far hv not seen any hotels tt r so fantastic in this forum....i think it's like tt lah..nothing is perfect...maybe u can just go down n take a look at their ballroom...also i heard their food is not bad...hope it helps.

C

clph1

HI Chris
Thanks alot for your input. Really appreciate it. I agree with you that nothing is perfect, and I suppose sometimes wat's good for this person will rub off the wrong way on another. I am scouting around for hotels cos my wedding dinner would be on the 9th June 2002. The prob we have is that we don't have that many tables, possibly less than 24, so we have to look for hotels that cater for smaller dinners, and that also means our choices are quite limited. But the guy I spoke to from Oriental, Kenneth, he was nice to block up that date first, and said that there are a number of function rooms which would be suitable for my dinner size. He sounds really friendly and sincere, so I am quite interested in Oriental. Thanks again.

J

janua

Hi clph1,

Sorry for the late reply. can't remember the name of the banquet mgr but it is a lady.

So, have you decided on your wedding banquet venue yet? There is one more thing which you may wish to take note if you are still considering The Oriental. One of the reasons why me and my FH did not take up The Oriental is its location. I personally find the place to be very inconvenient for those guests who do not drive as the hotel is quite a distance from the MRT station (even when you go thru the City Link) and you can hardly get any cab outside the hotel.

me and my FH were initially very keen in the htl until when we were there and found the place to be indeed a bit out of the way. This is further confirmed by my aunt who attended a wedding dinner there and has complained that the place was so inconvenient and was telling us that luckily we did not take Oriental. If you like hotels in the Marina area, i would think that Pan Pac or Marina Mandarin make a better choice, in terms of their location in the Marina area.

There are many hotels which have very good comments in this forum and Pan Pac and Marina Mandarin are 2 of them. You may wish to find out more before you make your decision. Good luck to you!

C

clph1

HI Janua
Thanks for the reply. No worries abt the late reply
happy.gif
Well, I spoke to Sammatha (I think) just yesterday, cos she mailed me the package info. Told her that I couldn't take up the package afterall cos (1) I'm holding the dinner on Sun (2) I need only max 22 tables so the but the ballroom requires a min of 25 tables for weekends (can't bend the rules) and the other function room can only take up max 20 tables. I suppose it is just as well, cos I did think that the location is out of the way. Anyway, due to the fact that I have a weird table no., I went to Hotel Rendezvous and will be visiting Traders this Fri. Then I will decide which of the two I will hold the dinner. Any comments on any of the 2 hotels I am talking abt? Thanks again.
Chris
happy.gif

angie

Hi Clph1,

I am also having abt 20-25 tables and I had viewed both Traders and Rendevouz. Personally, I prefer Rendexouz to Traders because of the location. Initially, I thot Traders wasn't very far so that day me and hubby wwalked from Orchard MRT! Gosh, it's really far. In addition, we didn't like the ballroom. We find it odd to have the reception inside the ballroom.

For service, however, Traders is a little better. The sales consultant seemed more enthusiastic. Rendevouz consultant didn't seem too interested in her job. She didn't go thru the package with us. Just said, "I believe you have already read thru the package. Pls ask me any qns".

Despite that I would have picked Rendevouz. However, we picked MM in the end coz me and hubby get along well with the co-ordinator and were generally satisfied with the package.

katie

hi all,

I recently attended a bridal show at Oriental Hotel. This is not the 1st time I attended a bridal show at a hotel but this time round, FH & I was very impressed by their service. Everything was well organized and the staff there are extremely friendly. When I spoken to a lady regarding their wedding package, out of 10 qns asked, she cant to provide us wif any good answer, everything was practically refer to the brochures given. Worse still, she cannot make any decisions!

Kenneth is the Director of Catering, he's very friendly and can make 'final' decisions on the spot. But I dun think when we were to discuss the wedding package again, he would be ard to attend to us (cos' he is the Director mah!) There are 2 banquet managers (both ladies).

Jus to update you on the price, 580+++ for wkdays, 680+++ & 780+++ for weekends for the year 2002.

book b4 31 July 2001 and dinner to be hold b4 31 mar 2002. The price is 520+++ for wkdays, 620+++ & 720+++ for wkends. Plus you get to enjoy some perks like free flow of beer & complimentary food tastin for 10 pax or complimentary stay at their sis hotel in KL.

Jus my 2 cents worth of comments.

steve

Hi Romantic,

I went to view the ballroom of Oriental Hotel, but I found that it's look very 'China'. Looks like those early 90's deco. As for the food & service, I have no idea.
However, the wedding suite is really big (I think that is their selling point)! It consists of three parts, the bed room, the living room and the dining room (it even consists of a small kitchen, if I remember correctly).

That's all I can let u know!

Regards
Steve

steve

Hi Romantic,

May i know how many tables u r looking at so that maybe i can give u any recommendation?

Regards
Steve

C

carolyn_aka_mocha_truffle

hi, i had a very bad experience with jassie too. but kenneth is really cool. i liked his flexibility.

arctic_hare

Hello.

I attended a wedding dinner recently at Oriental. Yup, the bridal suite is big.... but the bride says she smell food when the sliding doors to the balcony is opened...

Food-wise, I think it's quite nice... what I like about the place is the Oriental Ballroom. It is shaped like a fan (like the Oriental logo). And even the furthest corner can still see the stage and the ice carvings...

ann

Hi all

I recently booked my dinner package with Oriental and liased with Jassie. My experience with her was great - she was professional and extremely helpful and gave lots of tips on things outside of the dinner that we should look out for. Plus, she threw in some extra perks such as seat covers, 2nd nite stay for us. FYI, I booked with a minimum of 35 tables.

My friend's sister also had a good experience with Jassie when she held her dinner there last year.

Just some feedback for anyone considering Oriental...

mashi

Hi Ann,
I had my wedding in Nov.
Overall, i was very satisfied with Oriental, the food, the ambience...However, there's something which i must remind u.
Firstly, Jassie recommended us one song,'Beauty & the Beast, Be my Guest' to be the song for our first dish song. During the rehersal, my hubby was quite satisfied with the song. However, during the actually presentation, we could hardly hear the song. So, if she recommends that song to u, better choose your own song.
Secondly, the cordinator(can't remember the name) was also not good in timing.He said he will inform us when to go down after my second gown. However, we found that it took us quite a long time to have a second march in.
Thirdly, a few of my friends commended that there's not enough waiter. For this, i'm not very sure about this.However, only a few form the same table complained about this.

skywalker

hi all,
i'm also considering oriental but it seems that the comments here not very good leh. does anyone else have any other comments?
i had a holiday stay there during christmas and i liked it a lot. samantha called me up cuz there was someone else interested in the date that i booked and she sounded so 'take it or leave it'. not very sure if i will eventually choose them

lazybum

hi...just would like to get some feedback from u gals to see if anyone has ever attended/held the wedding dinner at this hotel in the Ariel/Taiping Suite cos i will be holding my dinner there in Jan'2003
happy.gif

just wondering how the entire ambience is like cos i noticed the aisle for marching-in is quite short.

thanx for helping
happy.gif
happy.gif

peach

Hi gals,

There's not much comments on The Oriental.
Could anyone, kindly share some feedback/experiences on the food, ambience and service?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Tks!

daisy

hi peach,

heard that the food wasn't that good, but i like the ambience there. Furthermore, it is near to the sea...

BTW, I am going for the bridal show this sun... :)

natalie

Hi peach,

Attended a colleague's wedding there last month, the ambience was great! The couple had candlestands along the aisle, decorated with sweet pink roses, and the soft warm glow of candles was so romantic...
*dreaming of my own wedding already...*

But one thing though, food wise, my colleague chose quite special menu, with dishes like satay crispy large prawns (i made up the name, dunno wat it's called)... this dish would be great if it came piping hot! i suppose cold food can't be helped if the dinner starts late...

Oh, another thing, the air-con a bit stuffy, but maybe other rooms are okay, my colleague's was at renoir, degas and monet suite.

Hope this helps!
happy.gif

gawain

I went to the "Art of Wedding" show and I liked the offers they have added to their package as well as the menu. I also liked the service quality.

However I am concerned about the actual banquet service as they told me the ratio of wait staff to tables is 2:3.

The hotel also looks at bit tired.

Anyone has been to a banquet there and what's the feedback on the Oriental?

priviledged

My parents went to a wedding there last year and liked the food. The big ballroom is curved breadthwise so the aisle to walk down is actually very short, and your guests sitting at the ends may not get good views of the stage. (Not too sure how true this is, though)

I was at the fair too.
happy.gif

passby

For the staff-per-table ratio, u can top up $$ and get one third more staff to do one-to-one serving. Maybe u can check with oriental?

cutie

I was at the fair too. Anyone won the lucky draw?
wink.gif

I agree it was really very attractive with the perks! $678nett for weekend at a 5 star hotel is really worth it! However, I still had not gone hotel hunting and do not want to make a hasty decision. But they need to confirm booking by end of July...

But I heard from friends that because the ballroom is curved like a fan, it gives a better view for all the guests (???).

How much to top up for one-to-one serving?

gawain

hi Cutie,

Did they tell you that they are extending their weekday rates to Fri and Sun as well? Also free flow beer if you sign by end of this month?

I was looking at Hyatt and the M-Hotel.

Hyatt's menu is not as good and it is a lot more expensive. They are having a wedding fair sometime on Oct though.

M-Hotel is very nice too, but it's max capacity is 33 tables.

A few friends say that the food at the Oriental is quite good too. I am still a little anxious about the quality of service there, so if anyone has any opinions/feedback that'll be real helpful.

cutie

Hi gawain,

Yup! The sales people told us about the perks! That's why so tempted to confirm booking. But too rush to make decision leh....

How abt you? Are you considering too?

I duno much abt Hyatt and M-Hotel. But heard that M-Hotel looks rather grand after its renovation.

Driven by desperation, had booked appointment with Merchant Court and Hotel New Otani this week and maybe Hotel Intercontinental and Hyatt next week. No time liao.... BUSY BUSY BUSY....
crazy.gif

W

wy

Hi Gals, can tell me abt the perks for Oriental Hotel?? How much is their weekday rate coz my wedding day is on a Thursday. Thank you.
happy.gif

cutie

Hi Wy,

They are hvg a promotion and the additional perks are as follows:

1) Fri/Sun considered as weekday rates (678 nett instead of 798 nett)
2) Free flow of beer
3) 1 Free VIP table

So if you are looking at hvg it on Thursday, it's 678 nett.

Hope that answer your queries!

tia

Hi Gals

Mine is on a Sunday, but are we too late to enjoy the $678nett offer (is it only for those who signed up at the fair last weekend)?

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

cutie

Hi TIA,

It will be for those who sign up the package by 31st July 02. Wedding has to be before end of next year.

Hope that answer your queries!

gawain

Hi AA,
I have no idea which bridal boutique Hyatt will tie up with as the guy at Hyatt keeps telling me that it is unconfirmed.
Sorry I can't me of much help here, but I'll post it as soon as I know..

tia

Hi Cutie

Thanks! I think I have spoken to an Agnes some months back, do you happen to have her email address?

gawain

Cutie,

I am seriously thinking of Oriental as the venue although I'll be going to the Grand Copthorne Waterfront's wedding show on Friday.

Frankly up to this point in time, Oriental has the best offer although I am waiting for them to answer questions like what is the corkage charge for wines brought in.

The Hotels I've seen so far:
1) Hyatt )which I like but is X
2) M-Hotel )which I like very much
3) Conrad
4) Shangri-la
5) Mandarin Singapore ) which has a good deal

Up to this point in time Oriental has the best menu, at the cheapest price.
Since the package is available till the end of the month, I suggest that you shop around.

Call catering sales of the hotels you are interested in to be faxed the standard packages then try to arrange for the site visits in the evening.

I have a spreadsheet of the hotels I am interested in (although it is not comprehensive)on the items they are offering and what is possible to be negotiated. Gives an idea on what other hotels are offering too..

If you are interested in a copy of the spreadsheet, email me at [email protected]

I hope this helps.

gawain

Cutie,

I forget to add, I've been the to Merchant Court, and I find them very rigid with their package and unwilling to negotiate on items. Same with Conrad (and after having 2 weddings in the family at Conrad at that!).

I do not like the Hotel Inter-Con Ballroom.

M-Hotel is very nice. Talk to Diana, she is very helpful.

A friend had her wedding at Hotel New Otani last year. It was very nice.

Take a look at Mandarin Singapore.. They have a good deal.

gawain

Hi All,

Here's the reply to my qn to Oriental:

1. We are providing tiger beer only

2. The waiver of corkage charge is only for hard liquor like whisky or brandy, not wine and champagne. The corkage charge for each bottle of wine is at S$20.00nett if you were to bring into the event. We do have house-pouring wine which is priced at S$28.00nett per bottle.

3. Ice carving - swans or dolphins. Any other additional charge on the design of ice carving required will be further advised depending on the design. For example, if you perfer an ice carving vase with fresh flowers, the addtional charge is at $100.00.

4. There will be additional charge of western dessert required. The minimum price is at $30.00nett per table. This is refering to one type of dessert, however, any additional number of dessert as varieties will be charged accordingly.

(The Pastry Chef at the show said that instead of the standard dessert, it can be replaced by a cake [6 types to choose from] to be served at the table or a cake decorated like the dummy cake so that the guests thinks that they are being served the cake and/or a dessert platter can be arranged)

natalie

Hi all,

Read that somebody enquired abt the bridal shop that hyatt is tying up with for their Oct show, just to share, i heard from their co-ordinator that it shd be Emmanuel B.Couture, though not confirmed yet...
happy.gif

tia

Hi Cutie

I tried calling Jassie and sending her an email but no reply. Do you know if the perks are available still since I did not attend the bridal show? We are very keen and would not mind booking by month's end.

Thanks!

cutie

Hi TIA,

My FH called Jassie yesterday and managed to speak to her.

Anyway, dun worry. The perks are available to the public. My FH oso asked Jassie that we are very keen and whether the deadline can be extended (gave the reason of tong shu not out yet). Jassie said to call her at month end and everything can be negotiated and arranged (phew!!!)

Try calling her again and arrange to meet up with her. Better to discuss in person and see the ballroom yourself.

Btw, when is your big day?