Mandarin Oriental Singapore

alhana

Hi kelsey,

I'll try to send u a pic of our set-up when I get home tonite. My wedding was held at the pool-side, not in the ballroom. We had roses and gerberras too, and I had block candles at every table. Jassie offered to help decorate the candles w the gerberras as centre pieces instead of providing their own centre pieces. The effect was v pretty.

hehe..ure hubby didn't know what a tiramisu was? how long ago was that? Oh i love tiramisu too. Are u getting just a single tier cake or 2-3 tiers? Mine was a 2 tier chocolate cake from the American Club. Man..it was sooo good. It wasn't given to the guests tho (coz cake was already on the buffet menu) so the hotel just sliced them up n placed them into cake boxes for me. Gave them to our closer relatives after the dinner.

Hi gawain,

Did u chk out the candle maker yet? Still thinking of getting the candles for ure church ceremony? How's ure prep coming along?

kelsey

Hi Alhana,

Thanks alot! Yup...he's never had tiramisu before. That was 2 years ago. We were talking about what flavour cake that we wanted last weekend and he reminded me about our first date. I was so touched! I couldn't even remember the tiramisu story.

I didn't know American Club sells cake. Do you have to be a member? Can you remember how much you paid for it? Oriental quoted me $45+++ per kg. I was thinking of just getting it from there so save the hassle of having to ensure that the other place delivers the cake. But if the cake is that yummy....might be worth the hassle. We wanted something chocolate too. Next option is carrot cake. My favourtie!

alhana

Hi kelsey

Awww..ure hubby's so sweet to remember that episode! The cake must trigger really fond memories for him. Yeah, it wld be so romantic to have tiramisu as ure wedding cake
happy.gif

My cousin's a member of the American club. I dunno if they sell to non-members tho. The price was quite cheap buuuutt..the decor was quite obiang :p We gave the chef some pics of the kind of design we wanted but it turned out like those chinese bakery kind :p Hehehe. Ok lah..not that bad. It was an all white cake so can't really see what it looks like fr far :p Anyway it only cost $17/kg. Cheap hor. Carrot cake was also an option, but we figured chocolate is safer coz everyone loves it
happy.gif
Ours was more like a chocolate fudge cake..very very rich. Think Oriental's rates r quite standard. Those cakes w v beautiful decor usu cost a bomb.

gawain

Hi Al,

I've actually not had the time to go to the candle maker yet. Work has been keeping me plenty busy and the weekends tend to be burnt out with other stuff. The next time I go get supplies for my cat, I'll pop by cos the pet supplies store is just a few doors away from them!

Thanks for the reminder!

Wedding preps coming along ok.. I finally signed my package and right now just sitting back till next year with things kinda pick up in speed.

How have you been?

Hey Kelsey,

When my sister got married at the Conrad, she had a solemization before dinner. The Conrad just moved the flower stand from the solemization venue to the dinner venue.

See if you can get the Oriental to do that for you so you don't have to pay extra. You can mention that the Conrad offers this service for free and see if they will match the offer =)

alhana

Hi Kelsey,

Have dropped u an email w the pic. Hope it came out alright.

Hi gawain,

Yes! There is a pet store near the candle shop
happy.gif
Nice to hear ure a cat lover too! I love cats, altho my mom doesn't allow us to have any at home.
sad.gif
Good to hear ure wedding plans are coming along!

girl

Dear all, I am a new comer here and still thinking of whether to take up Oriental"s offer..but it really worth taking

Errmmm..I am actually quite "green"..in the sense that I not sure what i need to request from Oriental....but after I have read those comments from the Oriental Brides, I find that i seem to miss alot...haaa.....

Kindly advise....I find the flower arrangement too simple and alsp the march in asle too short......still thinking to negotiate with Agnes...

bortei

hi girl.
happy.gif

yes, the march in isle is rather short, but there are 3 proposed walk in. you may wanna check with Agnes again. i think she will have the floor plan.

u met up with agnes liao? when is yr big day??

kelsey

Hi Alhana and Gawain,

Thanks Alhana, I got the pic. hehehe...actually I've seen that pic before. Agnes showed that exact pic to me when I first met up with her and I remember asking her whether I can have candles and flowers exactly like that!

I've checked with Agnes about the flowers for the solemnisation....she said that she can do some simple flower stands for me. Actually I've mentioned that she can use all the stands for the dinner and use it for the solemnisation but she hesitated....I think it may be a logistics problem for them. Don't know whether funny or not that immediately after ceremony, the guests see the flowers being carried away!

When you were discussing about the flowers for the set-up....did you get to speak to the florist direct or everything has to go through Agnes?

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

My co-ordinator is Jassie so I am not sure how Agnes operates.

I think you should arrange for another site inspection of an actual wedding. That way, you can see gauge for yourself the types of flora arrangments they have.

At my sister's wedding, there were a few main flora arrangments at the solemization venue. These were moved after the solemization ceremony and placed in the banquet hall during the cocktail hour.

Oriental should not have a logistics problem with that as their grand ball room has 2 enterances - one from the reception area, another at the other end of the ballroom near the rest rooms. They can use that back enterance to move the flora arrangements.

If you can, try to work out the arrangment for that. It does not make good sense to pay extra for flora arrangments.

The other alternative is to contra something e.g. ice carving for better flowers or for free flora arrangments at the solemization. If you have already done that, you may want to speak to your co-ordinator on what kind of "upgrade" is given. You may want to speak to the florist to discuss what kind of arrangments are possible (good to have it detailed in the contract!)

Good luck!

kelsey

Hi Alhana,

Too late. Contract already signed
sad.gif
I'm having the dinner at the Ariel/Taeping suites and I remember seeing only 1 entrance to the place.

Will have to discuss with Agnes. Quite pai seh, always calling to ask her questions!

gawain

Hi Al,

Yah, I came across your posting on cats elswhere in the forum. They are great pets cos they are self sufficient, clean and don't need too much attention. They also do not need to be walked.

I like dogs too but they need routine and affection. Since everyone in the family works, dogs are not good idea for us.

Yah the wedding preps are coming along ok. Just have to be on top of the situation that's all =)

gawain

Hi GIRL,

You might want to go through the archives to see what some of us bargained for.

For me I contra-ed my invites for free food tasting so that I can choose an extra night stay and a night's stay for 1 set of parents. Then I contra-ed my anniversay dinner for another room for the other set of parents.

Other things to bargain is corckage, more beer, free/more invites, more parking. You can also ask for better flora arrangments. That's pretty much it (cos chair covers and all already provided for).

R u taking the weekday/sat/sun banquet?

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

Don't worry about calling Agnes all the time. I think most of us did that in the beginning.

Sorry I thought you were having your banquet in the ballroom. The Ariel/Taiping suites have 1 enterance. However at my sister's wedding, I don't think any of the guests noticed the flora arrangments being moved around.

Also, non of your guests would see the inside of the suites unless you leave the doors open.

Speak to Agnes and express your concerns about the actual decoration. Ask if you can see samples and ask her what exactly the "upgrades" entail.

Since you are having a sit down western dinner, the arrangments looks very different from the chinese dinner ones. Ask if the table settings and flora arrangments are the same as the ones presented in the "Art of Wedding" show. If they are, you are in good hands.

If it is not possible to do an onsite visit, request for pictures and photographs of the flora arrangments. That will give you a better idea of what the actual setting is like.

alhana

Hi kelsey,

Oh, Agnes showed u a similar photo? Guess the set-up hasn't changed in this past yr! If ure talking abt the candles on the tables, we actually bought the candles ourselves and passed them to Jassie for their florist to decorate. I haven't seen their banquet set-up b4 tho, but I'm sure it'll look pretty.

girl

Hi, Bortei, I will check it out with Agnes regarding the floor plan, and our date is fixed in Dec'02, my will be a Friday.

Hi, Gawain, actually I find the floral arrangement slight simple, so maybe I can check with Agnes regarding that. ALso I think I missed out asking her whether Oriental provide Vegetarain food co some of my frens are vegeterian.

Sign...to all the Oriental Brides there, mi just like to pour my sorrows....U knw my BF's Fren heard that we might be taking Oriental, they also went to source and meet Agnes. Of course I dun mind if he also considering ORiental, but he will be also in Dec'03, and we have common guests....there go my uniquness...Imagine..the guests will be attending Oriental Wedding consecutively for 2 times.I really very sad and angry over this couples....Sorry just like to pour my sorrows to your....wat shd I do : (

alhana

Hi GIRL,

Ure wedding is on Dec 02 n theirs on Dec 03? Is that right? If its one yr apart i think its ok. Plus ure wedding comes first so ures wld be the original one
happy.gif
Perhaps ure FH's fren's bride-to-be also not happy abt the arrangement? I wld think most brides wldn't want to share the same kind of wedding as another mutual fren. Dun be too upset lah. Perhaps u can do something for ure wedding that'll make it more unique..like come up w a theme or something.

girl

Oops...sorrie Alhana, is my typo error..shd be Dec03 and is so close..just maybe a few days or weeks apart....how I wish I can ask Agnes not to offer to them!!

Actually if u knw ur fren is taking Oriental, they shd not have given a second thought but they just don't care and went ahead to meet Agnes.

I really very sad as all my effort for sourcing a good hotel just go to the drain like tat!!

Now i Just hope they don't pick Oriental.

*torubled*

alhana

Hi GIRL,

Well if they do pick Oriental, all is not lost. Do something special for ure wedding so that it will be memorable! Honestly, most weddings nowadays are so boring and predictable that it doesn't matter which hotel/restaurant u hold it in..they all turn all the same! Perhaps u can consider doing something fun (like i mentioned host a theme dinner) so that it wun turn out to be another run-of-the-mill wedding dinner. Of coz, hope ure frens wun go and copy ure idea too! Dun despair okie?

tiara

Hi GIRL

Oriental does provide Vegetarian food for your guests. I asked too. If you have a table of 10, they will charge you as per a normal table but if there are a few only, the charge is like $60+ per person (can't remmeber exact price now).

Don't despair, every wedding will be different on its own. Maybe you can change the decor a little or something? Will your friend's wedding be before or after yours?

girl

Dear Tiara, oh u mean the charge is different for vegerterin food? I dun knw tat...i think the no. will be less than 5....so the cost is $60+ per dish or???

Sign...i also dunno what to do abt that...now slighty cool down liao.....but still hope they dun pick Oriental....I think theirs sure b4 us lah.....

btw Tiara, when is urs?

bortei

Dear Girl Girl

dun let yr frens affect you ya. cos it's not worth yr energy and anger lor.
nono.gif
the fact that they didn't even consider yr feelings and concerns shows that they maybe rather selfish and insensitive.

i am sure things will work out for u! things may not always go our way but it doesn't mean we have to keep harping on it. Cheer up and be a lovely bride!

gawain

Hi GIRL,

The charges for non-standard menu i.e. vegetarian is on a per head basis.

Don't fret on your friend getting the same venue as yourself I am sure the other bride to be is also concerned that her wedding is also going to be at the same place as yours as I am sure all women don't want any comparisons for their wedding. In the end, they may use any venue instead.

Like you I was previously concerned about the venue, but I was reminded by my friend that it is the people and the celebration that counts. The guests are not there because of the venue. They are there to celebrate your wedding with you.
So no worries ok?

girl

Dear Bortei and Gawain, thks so much for all your encoragement..it really really make mi feel better...sigh...like wat your said..i think i will look on a brighter side..and hope they change their mind....but is really that guests andd the celcbration that counts..

hey btw when is both ur wedding..must share ur exp with mi orr...i very blur wan..heeee

thank you bery much~~~
happy.gif

tricia

Hi,

very new to this. When we create an account here, do we have to pay anything? No mention anywhere?

Very interested to here abt Oriental. How the food like? Is it nice? What abt the service?

Cheers

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tricia,

If you are referring to the account in the forum, it is free. No fees are required.
happy.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

kelsey

Hi girls,

I've emailed Agnes about the flowers and setup on Friday but no reply from her. I think she's quite busy so I don't like to call her.....and at least with the emails, you get a black and white reply. Sigh....have to email her again to chase for a reply.

tiara

Hi Girl!

Yeap, it will be a different rate if you have less than 10 pax on vegetarian. It's $68 or something like that per person.

My wedding in Dec 2003
happy.gif

girl

Dear Tiara, okay, thanks..i will chk with Agnes if i really taking Oriental..

Hey mine too , in Dec'03....

dinner

Hi gals,

how's the food at Oriental, heard that it's not as good anymore? Met up with Agnes and could not get anything from bagaining. Help!!

gawain

Hi Dinner,

We've had quite a varied response re the quality of food. Hwr generally it seems quite good. R u going for the buffet, the chinese dinner or western sit down? I haven't heard anything -ve about the chinese banquets, the buffet seems to gather mixed reaction, and I haven't heard anything abt their western sit down.

What r u trying to bargin for?

feb

Hi gawain

I am back..Finally manage to find our actual day videographer and photographer liao...tired to source somemore lor so settle very fast..heehee

dinner

Hi gawain,

thanks for the feedback

this means that the food is pretty good for chinese banquets, right? That's good.

Trying to bargain for an additional night stay in the bridal suite, with maybe the anniversary dinner as exchange??
But .....

What abt the ballroom setting, is it old fashioned/ out-dated??

Cheers

gawain

Hi Feb,

Great see you back.... who did you get to do your video and photography? I'll bet you feel like it's a weight off your shoulders right? =)

Hi Dinner,

So far so good on the chinese banquet.
What most of us did was to trade in our anniversary dinner for an extra night's stay. The anniversary dinner is valued about $100 plus (can't remember how much exactly). Also, you might want to go to somewhere of your choice for your anniversary dinner instead.

Either that or you can trade-in the ice-carving (which no one really notices much anyhow) for that extra night instead.

Try to reduce the corkage or the cost of the wines provided by the Hotel.

As for the setting, arrange with your co-ordinator to do a site visit. Not to disappoint you or anything, it's just easier for you to see it yourself. It's not old, but one can describe it as baroque or novo art. A few other adjectives come into mind, but it's best you view it for yourself. Best to view an actual wedding setting, nothing like seeing it yourself.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

dinner

Hi gawain,

Thanks for the advise. Yest went over to Oriental to take a look at the actual setup. Quite disappointed as pretty simple.If get the coordinator to add more props to the ballroom will means a lot of extra cost, sigh!!

Rgds

girl

hi, Dinner,

i went to see e actual set up too..is abit simple....but shd be like general wedding set up...wat kind of props u like??maybe we can switch ideas....

but like wat all oriental brides said, Oriental package is really worth taking~~

edde

hi all, i am considering oriental too and went down to look at an actual banquet recently

sad to say, i was kinda disappointed to see their table setting...at one glance the plates and bowls look like those plastic ones i use at home, if not like those use in hawker centres....dun find it exquisite at all !!!! and was told that they cant be changed....

any comments on that ??

kelsey

Hi all,

After hearing your comments....I'm getting worried about the set up. Going to see it on 26th as there is a wedding at Ariel/Taeping Suites then. Now I really wish the 26th quickly come!

The backdrop is not really that important to me....most important the plates and cups must look presentable and the centrepieces. Saw the ones they used for Pronto and they look really old...with colour fading and chips. I really hope that they have white plates and cups. Have emailed Agnes to ask her. As for the flowers, I've asked to meet up with the florist so I can discuss and let them know exactly what I want.

gawain

ok ok.. hold your horses...

who are your co-ordinators (Kelsey, GIRL and Edde)? Mine is Agnes. Did you all share with her your concerns?

I have to admit that the decor is very plain and the place settings is not very posh. I had a very strong reaction when I went for the site inspection as well. Hwr Anges has been very good to me as well.

When I expressed my concerns about the set up, she was quite willing to meet me half way. I was told they will be getting new place settings this year. I requested for all white procelin. They said they will try their best to do that. You may also want to request for the same and see if they can oblige all of us. =)

I also specified the types of flowers I wanted, although they said if I requested for import flowers, it will cost me extra. Agnes arranged for me to meet with florist and we have some common agreement. Same for the center pieces.

Edde, it maybe an overstatement on the quality of the place settings. Yes, admittedly they are not posh, but they are no plasticky either. They are white edged with red (not tacky red please) motif.

I am not a champion of the Oriental Mandarin. Please do not get me wrong.

I am reminded time and again how important this occasion is to all of us, and we ALL want it to be perfect. However in the end it is not the setting, the cutlery and flowers that count. It is the guests and the people who are there to celebrate your wedding with you.

If you read the archives, I too have my gripes on the Oriental, uncertainties and dissatisfactions. In the end, it has come down to what really makes sense. I want a tasteful dinner that everyone including myself will enjoy. I don't want a posh place which is good to look at but has no celebration, enjoyment.

It's like really expensive crytalware. Everyone longs to have it, they save for it and when they finally get it, it's stored in a display case to be admired.. but the owners never get to enjoy it because it just looks to good to be used.

How many times do we go to a wedding dinner and we take note of the deco, the center pieces? How may of you notice the ice carving? All we tend to notice is just to food.

Recently I attended a dinner at the Ritz.. great setting and all.. the food was terrible tho and the menu not as good a Oriental's.. we did not enjoy it at all.

So what does it boil down to? Do you want to pay lots of money for the deco (like the Hyatt, which I love by the way), or for the food. (Wish I can have my cake and eat it too, but...)

edde

hi gawain, my coordinator is agnes too...i muz say she has been very accomodating tho she looks a bit sian sian sometimes...

perhaps i have too high an expectation for the table settings..like my fh reminded me, "how much do i pay for it..dun expect ritz standard but paying only peanuts...if i want something high class, pay more for it lor"....oh well....

gawain

Hi Edde,

Thanks for your frank feedback. It's quite refreshing. I agree that Agnes looks a bit sian sometimes, but I understand she works really hard. The hours are rather long. By the time I meet with Agnes, it is usually after my office hrs and by the time we finish, it's close to 9pm.

If you have seen the Ritz's or the Hyatt's settings, Oriental is definitely a far cry from that. I have to say that the menu by Oriental is rather good. After checking across the board, that menu at that price is the best deal so far.

Hyatt will give you a great setting, but their menu is in the 800/table region and their menu is not so good. If you want Ritz and 4Seasons, you are looking at 1000 plus/ table. The other comparative menu I've come across is M Hotel's and by the time you add the +++ it's also in the 800 plus region.

Not to be biased, we also have to bear in mind that the Hotel is also a business entity. They have to make their margins somewhere. By giving a good menu, they have compromised their deco. If you look at the menu, if you choose the "right" items, the menu can easily come up to 1000 plus per table elsewhere.

What I think is not so right is with Oriental's set up is that it is very simple. Their alise arrangements and table pieces are very plain and in my opinion very sparse. So I've requested for fuller flowers and using local flowers such as Orchids as they are cheaper. Either that or go for the novo arrangements which are simpler, more zen like so you can use more exotic flowers but it can fit within the budget still. Hwr that means you have to do your homework b4 you meet the florist.

I hope this helps. I still think Oriental has a good deal. At the end of the day, it's really yi fen qian, yi fen huo. If you want everything, it's going to cost a hand and a foot usually.

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

My coordinator is Agnes too. Main reason why I signed up with Oriental is because she's been very willing to listen to our needs and also have been very accomodating. The Oriental also feels right after seeing numerous places plus it meets the budget (very impt!!!). Every girl wants that dream wedding so sometimes we get carried away by all the details. Plus I'm the perfectionist and kan chong type! Double lethal combination. hehe.

Actually, I've seen the chinese set-up and thought it looked ok. Haven't seen the western set-up so have no idea what to expect. Agree that it's a good idea to ask for white. More people asking for it...the more likely they will get it. Hopefully she'll get them for both the chinese and western setting! Have arranged to meet up with florist and pastry chef in Nov so I can discuss what kinda flowers, decor and whether it's possible for me to have a tiramisu wedding cake. I'm planning to do some little decoration myself (like placecards, candles etc) to personalise the wedding.

Agree with Gawain that what guests remember many years after the wedding whether they had a good time or not.

kelsey

Hi Gawain,

What kind of flowers are you using besides Orchids? They said only roses or gerberas....but I hate roses! Would love lilies but they are so expensive! Plus my wedding is right after Valentine's Day so flowers will be very expensive.

girl

Dear Gawain,Kelsey, Edde, Dinner and the rest of the Oriental Brides...

actually is true lah...every1 of us wana to have a great and memorable wedding nite and also give our guests a very good atmosphere and of cos hope to hear good feedback from them...

My coordinator is also Agnes and at times she really looks tired...but we have to be understanding...so far I have not cfm Oriental and has not paid the deposit....from wat i have seen the actual set up..is kind of like those typical wedding set up..and everything is just normal....but maybe for the walking alise..i would request for floral deco along the alise...

Btw, can i knw if to arrange meeting with the florist, any charge..? As for the plates and utensils, i think Oriental would not be using such cheap stuff as they also wana good feedbacks from us mah....as long as the deco is okay..i think can accept....
I more sad..like i mentioned earlier, tat fren of mine most prob will take Oriental and in the same month as us....so sad to ask the common guests to go to the same hotel within the same month...
sad.gif

hey i really "green"..pls tell me what shd i request from Agnes.....All of you seems to have so much ideas....

edde

hi girl and gawain,

yap i agree wif u..hotels have to make their margins too...and i really pity agnes...imagine she has to attend to our frequent requestz be it off office hours or wat and yet we hvnt even cfm booking from her !!! dats why i said she has been very kind to be so accomodating....

well for the plates and bowls...aiyah i kan kai le.....like my fh said, "ask yrself how much u pay for it"....ok lor....fair and square...dun be so ba bai liao....hahahaha.....

feb

hi gawain

my actual day photographer is Hilarion Goh and Videographer is Eric. Have you ever mention yours before?

gawain

wow! so many messages.

I'm sorry, but in the previous posting, I said my co-ordinator is Agnes, it's actually Jassie. However there was a period of time when Jassie was on leave and I liaised with Anges. Both of them are really nice.

Kelsey,
I'm like you, a perfectionist, but Jassie and Agnes have been really nice to me. I can be a real pain. =)

Yup, if more of us request for white table settings, they feel they have a demand for it and they will try to get it.

When are you getting married Kelsey? Need to do some research on the types of flowers available around that time of the year. The problem with Lilies is that only the imported ones look nice. But that means more $. What other flowers do you NOT like? I'll try to look into it a bit.

The short cut is to work with the Oriental Florist and tell her you do not like roses. What other flowers can they provide instead at no additional charge. Given a list of flowers, maybe it is easier to narrow down. Can you do that? If you can we can try to work on it together.

GIRL, there are no additional charges for meeting with the florist. Flora stands will be used along the alise, so no worries about that. You may want to do some research into types of flowers you can use around the time of your wedding before meeting the florist. That will make it easier to discuss things.

Have you asked for the corkage for wines to be reduced or waived? You can also ask for more complimentary parking. Do you have free flow beer? If not can bargain for an additional barrel of beer.

Edde, it's good to see you kan kai a bit about the Oriental. It's sometimes very tough, because it's THE day of our lives. But remember, you can't take the flowers or the place settings back with you as memories, so no point getting upset abt it. In a year's time none of your guests will even remember what the place settings look like.
As long as they remember you look great that night can already right? ;)

I am sure you want to be the best looking woman that night, so no point if the deco and flowers outshine you? =P

For all who do not really like the deco of Oriental, the other alternative is to get your own decorators. A lot of the florists can do a venue decoration for you, but venue decorations generally starts from $500. (Far East Flora is quite good, and they are also wholesalers so may be cheaper). Do a little research on how much it will cost you and then you can ask Oriental to give you back a similar amout off the total bill if you use your own venue decorators. Either that or you can exchange it for something else.

GIRL, Have you signed your bridal package yet? You can go for some really dramatic looks for your gowns to make your enterance more spectatular. Either that or make it more of a themed wedding. Maybe you can go formal or black tie vs smart casual for your dinner. Or you can make it themed. Ask your co-ordinator what can be done?

If you are interested in gowns with a bit more different, let me know, I can refer you to my designer. He's great!

Feb, my photographer is Barnabas from Photospace. Hilarion's photos are great! I was considering engaging him as well, but my over all package will be done by Photospace.

girl

Dear Gawain...thanks for so much of your advice...btw wat u mean by white table setting>? When i go see the actual set up, the one which is like slight orangie colour looks good....buti have not seen a white one yet...oh really there will be floral deco along the aslie..then is not tat bad...

I think most prob i will meet up with oriental this week end to cfm..so has to liaise with Agnes many stuff...like the deco and floral...and parking coupons...

Btw i have booked my bridal pacakge liao...so too bad...but hope can share with me the ideas...
happy.gif