Mandarin Oriental Singapore

bunny

Hi Kelsey
Mine will be 10 - 11 tables, so i guess it's not that bad if i want to do some of DIY stuff.
I was thinking of doing the name card for individual guest and put it on their table. Do you think it's weird to have that in chinese banquet?
For the invitation card, did you use tracing paper for the insert? If so, where did you get it from?

andrew

Hello Kelsey,
Could I get a link to your pictures too? My e-mail is [email protected]
I'm planning an end of the year wedding for 10-12 tables. My fiance isn't too keen on the Oriental, but seems like a nice place to me, and since ariel/tapeing is the right size, I'm wondering what it looks like.
Also, can you tell me what other hotels you were considering or was the Oriental your only choice?
Thanks!!!

kelsey

Hi bunny,

Namecards are normally only used for western dinner because the placesetting will indicate the choice of the main course. E.g. whether fish or beef etc. For chinese dinner...might be alittle funny as the cards don't really serve a purpose but still can be done as your guests might like seeing their names....personalise things alittle. But if you want namecards, your RSVP must be very good otherwise you might have a headache if alot of people don't turn up and the table is empty or if 1 extra person turn up and the table don't have his name! The person in charge of your guest reception must be quite good at organising the extra namecards in such cases.

I didn't show the invitation cards in the photos...you must be talking about the menu. I used a cream paper which is thicker than tracing paper. Got it from Craft Inc at Orchard Delphi. The paper there is not very cheap though but I couldn't be bothered to go to Bras Basah as I was running out of time.

kelsey

Hi Andrew,

Sent the link to you already. The Oriental was the best value of all the places we went to and most importantly, they were very accomodating with our requests. Unlike the other hotels, they did not turn us away just because we only had 10-12 tables. We did not want a hotel at first but in the end we considered a few because the other places we wanted were out of our budget.

1)Alkaff Mansion - Did not like the upstairs room. The marquee downstairs is nice but too hot for the guests. Plus they were charging an extra $800 for the marquee!!!

2) Beaufort - Did not come with any free beer and refused to waive the corkage for the wine. It seemed like we had to pay extra for alot of things. Everything was add $800, add $400.... Scary! Very beautiful and romantic place if you have the budget for it.

3) Other hotels were Rasa Sentosa (too inconvenient and place looked alittle rundown), M Hotel, Marriot (found the lady alitte stuck up and no proper room for a small wedding) and Raffles hotel.

If you are willing to consider something really different and not a hotel...these were the other places we considered. They are more expensive than The Oriental though:

1)Senso at Club Street
2)Indonechine at Waterloo Street.
3)Fig Leaf at Fort Canning Country Club
4)Tong Bar

andrew

Hi Kelsey,

Thanks for the link and for the info! Actually Alkaff Mansion is one of our top choices. But still lookng around like crazy to find the perfect place. =)

bunny

Hi Kelsey,
That's what I thought ... it would be a bit weird for chinese dinner to have namecards. Thanks for the advise
happy.gif

I must have seen the wrong thing. Yeah.. it is the menu. How about the invitation cards? Did you use the ones which were given by the hotels?
Oriental is having 2 different sizes of invitation cards. The printing company says that they will charge us double for the printing. I was thinking of doing it by myself since it is not a lot.

kelsey

Hi bunny,

We did not use the cards from the hotel. We designed our own cards...which were cream coloured with the "ai" on it and got a printer to print it and I tied it with a burgundy ribbon. Expensive because the number is very small. I made a second set of cards (this time homemade by me) for the overseas guests. Turn out that all the overseas guests loved the homemade one compared to the other card. Why don't you use only 1 size? That way the printers will only charge 1 price instead of twice.

berypig

Hi kelsey,

thanks for the link to your photos. U and ur hubby looked great on ur wedding day !
happy.gif

Well, must say that KC have done a great job on capturing the moods & the pics looked just wonderful.

I had mine taken by KC too ... my wedding was dec last year. Overall was quite pleased with the photos except 2 things.
1. i find that the night table photos din really turn out that well, some was a bit blur (maybe bcos of the lightings ? *shrug* )
2. i discovered that there was abt 8 photos which turned out to be discoloured at the edges of the photos and it was hidden on the last slot of the 2nd album. KC didn't tell me abt this when he passed me the albums + photo book... it was me who discovered it... thus was a bit mad. Smsed him and he told me he had forgotten to tell me. He promised to replace the 8 photos and a new photo bk (cos i gave some comments on the bk) by end feb. Came end feb, then he said end of march. But 2 mths have passed and i have yet to receive the 8 photos & the bk. Hmm, i understand that he sld be quite busy but still i find that it's not very professional. Now i have given up hope of ever getting back the photos.. if have then good lor.. else will forget abt it. Sorry gals... just needed a place to vent some of my frustrations
happy.gif

But overall, i still find KC to be good !

coco

hi kelsey

i'm also thinking of having 10 to 15 tables for my wedding. may i know how much is the banquet for oriental?

kelsey

Hi berypig,
Thanks for your compliments. Have you tried reminding KC? If you sms him every week he will definately remember. And try to fix a definate date with him...that way it won't drag on for too long.

Hi coco...So sorry but I'm not sure how much the banquet price is...I had a western dinner and not a chinese dinner. The other girls here will know the pricing better than me since some of them are having a chinese dinner.

berypig

Hi kelsey,

Hmm, guess i kinda feel paiseh to sms and remind him every week. And i believe that he sld be professional abt it and at least tell me that he cannot meet the deadline that he has promised me (and not me chasing after him for it). Anyway, just wait for him to remember lor :p It's not that important to me already ...
happy.gif

gawain

Hi Kelsey,

Congrats on your wedding. Great to hear it was great!

David Lim Lee's just great isn't he? He's doing my WG, EG, make up for photoshoot as well as the actual day. Glad you like the work he does.

can you send me pics for your wedding [ [email protected]? It must have been so exciting!

bunny

Is there anyone is getting married in Sep 03 at Oriental?
Just wondering if you guys are going for the food tasting ...

jul_04

Hi bunny

U signed up with Oriental already issit? Oriental's one of my choices, the others are Sheraton, Marina Mandarin & Hilton.

But when I called Melanie to set up appt to see ballrm & suite, she told me to go for the wedding show on 20 Apr instead. Sounded quite unfriendly over the phone.
angry.gif
As for Hilton, the contact person is never answering her phone. *sigh*

Who's ur coordinator?

bortei

hi jul 04
melanie is my co-ordinator and she is actually quite a friendly person. She's very professional and straightforward.she might be busy with the april show, thus maybe sound abit unfriendly

it's better for you to go to the show as you get more perks (e.g. free flow of beer) and get to view the bridal suite and the weddin favours and lotsa stuff.i booked mine during their wedding show last year!
happy.gif

good luck!

hi bunny
my dinner will be at end august.we will be going for food tasting in june most probably.
happy.gif

feb

Hi all

My wedding is in early Nov 03. So when should I go for my food tasting leh ? You mean we have to call them up to fix a date or the hotel will call us huh...

bunny

Hi Jul04
Melanie is my co-ordinator and like what Bortei said she is professional and friendly. Yeah.. she is very busy, i guess she is preparing for the wedding show in April.

She suggested me to book the package during the show which i think it's very nice of her to tell me that because we will get more perks.

Hi Bortei
Do you need to pay for your food tasting?

bortei

hi feb
you may wish to call the hotel if you prefer everything to be in order fast...
for me , i met up with melanie and settled the timeline of when collecting cards, food tasting and confirmation of attendances and so on.

Hi bunny, i'll hit 32-33 tables, thus i will be having extra 2 perks. an additional nite stay at thei bridal suite and also free food tasting.
i did asked them before abt the food tasting, i think it's abt 30-40% discount for 10 pax. you can check with melanie to confirm.
happy.gif

jul_04

Hi bunny, bortei & feb

So I'll get to see the ballroom (including layout & decor), bridal suite, wedding favours, menu & get extra perks during the show? Excuse me, but I think I'm really sotong. *sigh*

bortei

hi jul 4
yup, kinda like that. think the extra perks during the show will be perhaps free flow of beer, discounts for fri and sunday dinner, and waiver of 1 table.

bunny

Hi Bortei
I will check with Melanie regarding the food tasting.
Which invitation cards did you choose? Do you know how much is the printing cost?

Hi Jul 04
Yeap you will see the ballroom, etc.... i am not sure about the bridal suite. Did u see it last year, Bortei?

bortei

hi bunny
i yet to decide on our invites, i dun mind taking the maroon red invites, but my other half prefers to have it from outside. so we'll see...

sorry, i am not sure abt the printing cost. think it might be around 200-300 plus.

how many tables are you looking at?
happy.gif

coal

Hi bortei,

long time old Oriental bride, this tread seem 2 dead off for quite some time.
check wit u what u mean by 30-40% for the food tasting? we need to pay, tot it part of the perk?

Hi Bunny,
u will get to see the suite if u ask, me saw it last yr @ the show.

bunny

Hi Bortei
Mine is less than 15 tables.
Yeah.. the maroon ones not too bad huh!

Do u know if there is anyone share the food tasting with other couples? I mean ... 5 from each family and split the cost? Because mine i think only 5 people so if i have to pay for 10 people ... hhhmmm don't think it's worth it. Any suggestion??

bortei

hi coal
you can choose free food tasting as one of yr free perks.it all depends on individual.

hi bunny, yup the maroon ones are quite nice!
for the sharing part , afraid i am not sure. think it's better to check with melanie.

julie

Hi

Anyone has Agnes here as their co-ordinator? She doesnt reply emails and don't return calls. Wonder she have email for what for!!

jul_04

Hi everyone!

Suddenly there're so many postings. Wow!

Julie, my bf tried calling Melanie last wk, but she was busy. She said she'll get agnes to call him back, but she nvr did! So I had to call Melanie myself, & that's how I got her to send me the bridal show invite.

I think I read somewhere that agnes isn't very proactive?

bortei

hmm...it all depends on your guests i suppose, whether they are wine lover or not.
pai sey can't advise much cos i also not expert in this area. just for your reference, we will be going by 2 bottles per table as my guests (friends and relatives) are all great wine lovers!
hee...of course including myself!
happy.gif

bunny

Thanks for the info.
I have to find out whether they prefer beer or wine. DO u know how much is the wine corkage for oriental?

bunny

i guess you like red wine huh! that's why only bringing red wine for the dinner .. hehehe... i only like ice wine .. hehehe coz it's sweet. where do u buy your wine?

bortei

hi bunny
hmm..i dun know abt the corkage of oriental leh...but i heard from some oriental brides that it can be waived!
yup, i LOVE red wine! hee

i am exchanging my free flow of beer to certain amt of red wine. you can check with melanie abt the "exchange rate".

For subsequent bottles, it will be $29 nett per bottle .cos i want to save the hassle of looking for wines and most imptly since i know the consumption might high and yet i can't really come up with a figure, i scared what i bought will not meet the demand. Then it will be pretty weird for my guest to drink another brand of red wine when my own bottles run out.

fizz

Tink corkage is abt $20++...Makes it worth to get wine fm em at $29...Melanie'll b on leave next wk...so happy she let me xchange most of the dishes...
biggrin.gif

babbit

Hi ladies,
I;m having my banquet in Oriental in Sep. I'm going for the free food tasting for 10 for one of the perks. I agree that it quite difficult to get Agnes. I have e mailed her last week n have not gotten a reply. Think i have to called her up myself.

bunny

Yeah.. now i remembered she did mention about the wine is $29 per bottle. If the corkage is about $20++ it's better to get the wine from the hotel. Save all the hassles!

Bortei & Fizz,
When is your wedding?

bortei

yo bunny
mine is at end august.
seems there are no may nor june brides here leh
uhoh.gif

yup, i do think that 29nett is pretty reasonable.

bunny, have you signed up your bridal package?

bunny

Melanie told me to sign up during the show so i can get more perks.
Sorry to ask so many questions... heheheh... seems like i signed up alreadi huh!
Normally do u sign up first then bargain on the freebies or should bargain first before sign up? Confused...

bortei

hee hee.. i thought you signed up already! nevermind! it's a great feeling to be excited about our own weddings!
happy.gif

hmmm, i think oriental is tying up with Graceful Image..they did so last year. look around first to compare compare lor

er..now me blur liao. so have you signed up with oriental har?

jul_04

Hi bunny

So you've signed up with Oriental but not with bridal yet issit?

Think I shd have waited too. then can sign up for both & get more perks. Maybe got bridal $500 voucher, that sort of thing.

Hi bortei,

I guess it's better to sign up with Melanie than Agnes? Seems like I have to do the calling, but since I'm so blur, I shd look for the more 'on' coordinator?

bunny

Sorry guys to make you all confused .....
I haven't signed up with Oriental yet coz Melanie told me to sign up during the show.

For the bridal, i signed up with golden horse. If i have known about the $500 voucher i might consider grace image. Now too late liao...

Bortei,
which bridal did you sign up with?

bortei

hi jul 04
i guess you must be a july bride is it? have you settled on your big date?

hmm...well i can't say much abt agnes. however i did heard favourable comments about agnes before leh.

But from what i understand , Agnes is very very busy lor.hmm...i can't say much. i saw the other thread abt the negative comments on oriental. Maybe agnes will try to be more pro-active lor..

actually last year we didn't sign up with GI. The gowns were great, relly lovely but even with the discount on their packages, we still find them pretty steep and we witnessed a very unpleasant scene betw the sales staff of GI then. They were bitching and fighting for the albums to show the customers.My other half and i decided to look around at other bridal shops before we commit on the spot to them.

bunny

Bortei
So who did you sign up with? May i know?

Well... in fact, they both are very nice when i called them up.

jul_04

Hi bortei

That's right! My big day's on 4 Jul 2004 (coz that's our anniversary). But the church reception & tea ceremony on 3 Jul. I'm not having a ROM.

Everybody told me that I have to bk the venue at least 1 yr b/4. Plus I have one fixed date, so better buck up! I did sign up with thomson Wedding in Feb at the Taka fair. a bit regret. Nvr go to any shop to look c & try gown. But like bunny, also too late.
sad.gif

I'm looking in my post everyday for the oriental wedding show invite. So excited! Nvr been to one b4.
embarrassed.gif

babbit

Hi bortel n bunny,
U ladies r having getting married next year?? Think i was reading too fast, always have this impression that u r holding your weddings this year.

Anyone here getting married this year?