Mandarin Orchard Singapore

whitewave

I am an overseas bride, planning to sign up with Mandarin Orchard. As I've got 10-13 tables only, do you think its possible to have it at Mandarin Court? Otherwise, Mandarin Suite. Anyone please share experience or any photos to share for Mandarin suite. Does anyone have 2011 wedding theme photos?

ellentg

Jennifer > I was considering Mandarin Suite at first becos in my initial planning, I only had around 10~12 tables. So we went down to check out both Mandarin Suite and Mandarin Court.

Mandarin Suite is newly renovated in end 2009, but the downside is the ceiling is really low... So it doesn't feel as grand, and they can't have a stage becos of the low ceiling, this is something you need to take note.

In the end, we chose Mandarin Court cos the pretty and unique ballroom won us over
happy.gif

It is possible to have 13 tables in Mandarin Court, but you will still have to pay for the minimum spending of 15 tables, which means to say, your per-table price will increase. They allow you to upgrade the menu to fulfill this minimum spending.

I think it will be a bit risky for you to take Mandarin Suite cos if I remember correctly, the Suite only hold max. of 12 tables, so you have no buffer for sudden increase of guests. It is probably easier to increase the guest list to 15 tables and get Mandarin Court...

Hope this helps
happy.gif

ellentg

leyash > Mandarin Court's stage is quite ok. how many pple you need to fit? guess not more than 20 even during yamseng time rite~ everyone squeeze a bit will do
happy.gif

i (and my frens) don't do yumseng so can't give a really clear picture here. for you to have a rough idea:- my frens could sing and dance on the stage, and i could fit in digital piano with singers + violin on stage... can't be too small la
happy.gif

lunaluna

Hi tangerinez,
did u sign ur package during wedding show? i jus met up with one of the coordinator but couldn't get a single extra barrel of beer nor complimentry wine... no room fo nego at all..

btw how many confirm tables you have?

tangerinez

hi luna, we didn't sign up with MC eventually, and we didn't meet up with the coordinator during wedding show.

in our negotiation, the only things we managed to get was 2 free barrels of beer (ie, total 3 barrels), waiver of wine corkage, and free solemnization venue and setup.

not sure if we had decided to sign up, will the coordinator throw in a few more items (though i doubt so).

can't remember the number of tables. should be the minimum for MC.

hope this helps

tangerinez

luna, we will be signing with goodwoodpark this weekend.

yes i still like MC's cozy feeling but the feedback that i got from my friends tends towards the negative side, so i decided to look around and eventually decided on goodwoodpark even though it's a little more expensive.

kristinlee

Hi All,

Just to check, does Mandarin Orchard always practice the payment of 75% before the wedding??
I met up with the manager and he told me about the deposit of $3k and subsequent 2 payments prior to the wedding which total makes up to 75%.

Any brides that actually follow this procedure??

And i realise that mandarin orchard is not a famous place to hold wedding? seems that many of my friends never attended weddings held in mandarin orchard before...

kristinlee

Hi Dora,

Thank you for your reply.

May i know when is you wedding held?? and also what are the comments from you and your guests?

I'm right now in a confusion state of wedding planning... =( *very stress*

muilaman

Kristin: Haven't heard of such payment terms. Paid deposit and then rest of the payment is to be fully paid upon checkout.

I guess why you have not attended friend's wedding at this hotel is cos Mandarin Orchard either allows for very big group or very small group. Most couples are all looking around for mid range sizing of about 20 to 30+ tables, hence does not fit the requirement. How many tables are you looking for?

Don't be stress, 1 step at a time. Enjoy the process!

dor_diego

hi kristin,

wedding is coming soon. so no comments yet.
haha..take it easy la..u will get over it for sure...just take things one step at a time...but so far i am very happy with the set up i have seen, the av testing guy is very good and the banquet manager looks very experienced. so keeping my fingers crossed!

kristinlee

Hi Muilaman,

my wedding will be having ard 15-17 tables which Imperial Ballroom previously known as Silk Room/Mandarin Court is the best choice.

Love the ballroom (very unique) but quite concern when i see the feedbacks/comments from the forum and also the payment terms of 75% is alot of money..i definately will not pay such an amount when my wedding is not even held yet and there's so many other wedding expenses that i need to cope with..

And also, from here i see that the food standard is up and down.

Can anyone advise is the chef of the restaurant opposite the ballroom will be taking care of the banquet? and will it be weird to have servers walking up and down the stairs at the 2nd tier? (there's a table of guests that will be seated there, i'm afraid that the guests will feel uncomfortable)

Dora - are you taking Imperial Ballroom too? Have you had yr food tasting?

i've spoken with the manager and he managed to pull in down to 50% which is still

dor_diego

yes taking imperial ballroom. yup done food tasting. personally the food is ok la..provided u choose the popular dishes like herbal duck, thai chicken, sauteed prawns,braised sharks fin with fresh crabmeat and conpoy...food wise i think can be better la but it meets the requirements i guess..u can voice out anything u wish to be noted after food tasting..i am amazed they ask for 50% down...

kristinlee

Hi Dora,

Thanks for the feedback..but you seems not very satisfied..

ya.50% is too much.probably i will have to give it a miss if they insist.

=(

dor_diego

Maybe abit dissapointed with the food la..but food tasting is for u to rectify lor..so theres a second chance on AD..haha...but i think overall i am very pleased with the staff, response, help, set ups etc. Nonetheless, whichever one u will choose, just go ahead and dont look back, afterall wedding is a happy event ya
happy.gif

kristinlee

Mandarin as a big hotel should live up with the standard..seems that in food and service wise they are just doing a so-so..even when i search in tripadvisor.com, many tourists commented that the hotel service and hotel room standard needs alot of improvement..(guests check-in delayed 40mins and was given a room with torn towels + ripped off wallpaper)..really disappointing to see all this comments online..

lunaluna

Hi Kristin,

I think no hotels ask for so much %down...
Btw how many coordinators are there exactly in Mandarin?

How come all give different policy?!SOme paid 5K and others 3K...

Makes me dun wanna even consider to have my wedding there...

kristinlee

Hi Luna,

deposit is 3k and subsquent there will be 2 more payment which total up to 75% of the estimated min tables prior to the wedding. so if you are taking 15 tables. before the wedding u have to pay the amount of almost $10k.

I actually meet up with the business development manager. Jason. he's quite good actually. but the amount that i've to fork out before the wedding is alot. and also the food standard makes me feel more negative.

Most probably i will not be signing up with them...

ellentg

Kristin > i only paid $3k deposit. the rest is settled after AD when you check out from hotel. have not heard of this 75% thing.

Mandarin Orchard is the hotel that i went to the most for my frens' wedding... went there at least 5 or 6 times before my own one hahahaha

The big ballroom and the Mandarin Court is two different teams of chefs. Mandarin Court one is from the Pine Court (the restaurant right opposite Mandarin Court). Big ballroom is taken care of by the banquet team.

Actually for my case, the food was very good.... hmmm. and must say the operation team that ran the show on AD was EXCELLENT. thumbs up for them.

kristinlee

Hi Dora,

I've checked with the manager that by default..Regency Suite in the Mandarin Tower will be the bridal suite.. (there will be bathtub)

yup yup. you can go to the website and take a look @ the photos

ellentg

Kristin > i took Mandarin Court... Grand ballroom too big liao LOL. and my bridal suite don't have bathtub hahahaha (well, not that i have the energy and time to enjoy it after the LONG day........ :p)

you're taking ballroom or Mandarin Court?

Dora > my bridal suite was very big imo... i feel i don't need so much space LOL

kristinlee

yup. they change to Imperial Ballroom say at least it looks better in the invitation card...

Icic..i'm still confused..my both side relatives v particular on the food...

haiz..

lunaluna

Hi gals,
So which suite is usually given as bridal suite?
Are there 2 suites for 2 couples who have wedding on the same day? Or main ballroom couple will have the bridal suite?

Kristin, have u booked the ballroom?
I m still considering but if the package for 2012 is out?!

kristinlee

Hi Luna,

There's quite a number of suites available..so no worries.all brides will be given the same suite =)

I've already made a tentative booking.just comtemplating whether i should go try the food first @ the restuarant then decide whether i shld confirm the place.

I'll be taking the Imperial Ballroom @ level 35 if i actually confirm signing...

Package for 2012 is already out..just that they are still finalising on the menus and the themes..heard there will be 3 themes..yup yup

Ellen - just to check with you..did your guests had a hard time finding the place?? coz if guests were to come by TAKA side..they have to take the lift to level 5, then proceed to the orchard wing lobby to go to level 35..

For the canapes, can you share what exactly did they served? coz heard that it's standardised and cannot select...there's a mixed selection of salty and sweet canapes..hope you can share with me more info on this...

Thanks!

dor_diego

the canapes are just some fried finger food-deep fried prawn, deep fried beancurd, prawn roll and yeah it comes as standard.anyway just would like to mention the awesome service and food rendered from the imperial ballroom staff. i felt so at ease that everything ran so smoothly. and the bridal suite is just fantastic. excellent service and room facilities.

ellentg

Kristin > my guests had no problem finding the place... they will have sign boards and stuff... you can either take a lift from the 5th floor main lobby or from Mandarin Gallery like what Dora mentioned.

i can't remember what canapes were served. only remember it looked quite presentable that's all... hahaha

Dora > just had your AD? Congrats~
happy.gif
yup i agreed that the operation staff running the show were fantastic! their service was great!
happy.gif

kristinlee

Hi dora & ellen,

Thanks for your feedbacks n info...

If they are nt requesting so much deposit i think i will just cfm wif them..

dor_diego

yeah the AD team is beyond words. Service is tip top so was the food. very diff from what was during the food tasting. they took the comments seriously. Overall i am overly satisfied.

ellentg

Kristin > this high deposit thing is really strange. i doubt anyone else is doing this.

though... i must confess... i voluntarily asked to pay part of the bill earlier to make full use of credit card rebates... hahaha
happy.gif

leyash > when's your AD?
happy.gif

kristinlee

Ellen - ya lor.i also find it strange.heard its the management's new policy.yup yup.new sign up frm jan 2011 onwards all haf to follow the 75% payment (3k deposit n 2 more payments to be advised in the contract b4 the wedding)..

muilaman

kristin: wah, didn't know they have new policy on payment structure. sounds weird lo.

leyash: when is your AD? I am also looking forward to mine. heh.