Mandarin Orchard Singapore

ellentg

Hi Antz,

I don't have photos of Mandarin Court, but the photos in the singaporebrides website give quite a clear representation of the place:

http://www.singaporebrides.com/hotels/meritus_mandarin/index.htm

The bottom 2 photos are for Mandarin Court.

Wedding lunch perk is same as that for Mandarin Court I think. Btw, UOB and DBS cards have some good perks for wedding lunch packages, you can take a look at them
happy.gif

antzc

Hi Ellen,

Thanks. But the DBS and UOB perks are only applicable for weddings held by Dec 2009. My wedding is in 2010, so not applicable leh..

leyash

May I know what was the max number of people Mandarin Court can hold? I have an estimated 25 tables, but the website says Mandarin Court max 20 tables, Mandarin Ballroom min 40.

pekochan81

In_truder> Some other perks you can ask for includes Helper's Room; Additional 1 night's stay in bridal suite with breakfast; other than the 4 hrs free flow of beer, make sure it's also waiver of corkages including wine & hard liquour; pre-dinner snacks such as canapes. The other items should be quite standard as included in the package. Btw, I was a MM Mandarin Court bride last month ;)

ellentg

pekochan > congrats!
happy.gif
how was their service on your AD? good?

in_truder > for Mandarin Court, i tried asking for additional nite of stay in bridal suite but they die die didn't want to give
sad.gif
hope you have better luck! And you can ask for waiver of corkage for wine, more carpark couple etc. pre-dinner meal credit, day room for helpers are already in the package. their package already include many stuff le....

Ashley > for Mandarin Court, even 20 tables seem quite cramp le....

pekochan81

Ellen> Thanks. Well, definately thumbs-up for their services, food & ambience. You can read back my postings in the Oct archieve. I'll definately recommend anyone who wants to hold a small yet cosy wedding event in Mandarin Court. Mine was a buffet dinner though, so it was much easier for us to manage the tables & seating arrangments since we can configure everything ourselves. It was truly a memorable wedding for us & till nw, we still have friends drooling over the buffet spread! Haha...for us, the only downside was their wedding favours. But not too big an issue on that, as we bght the favours ourselves & just got MM to offset the value. Of coz, the cost of yr own favours preferably ard their price range so that u won't have to top up.

Hmm...seems like the wedding perks this year is so much lesser than last year

dslitegal

Ashley -> I asked their max sitting. It can only have 210 ppl max & it will be very cramp. It's best to stick to 18 tables. But I seen the real banquet b4, we were lucky that we manage to view the place few hrs b4 a wedding banquet begins & 20 tables seem ok.

pekochan81

Ashley> It's best that u speak to the coordinator & I'm sure they'll be more than willing to assist u. You might also wan to get their draft floor plan to have a look & do go for a site recce as well, preferably with a real wedding set-up to have a more accurate gauge. HTHs! ;)

ellentg

hee pekochan, thanx for your comments
happy.gif
went to place deposit for Mandarin Court just now... finally my banquet is confirmed! yeah~

Ashley, like what pekochan said, it's better to check out the place yourself cos not everyone will be comfortable with the layout of Mandarin Court. but i think 25 tables won't be possible... unless you can reduce your number of tables...

yumedream

I am very disappointed with the service in Meritus Mandarin. I called and a lady from the catering department attended my call. I was told there are 2 ballrooms. The smaller ballroom with maximum 20 tables and the bigger one need a minimum of 50 tables.

I said I don't have 50 tables but what if I have a 40 tables, will it be negotiable? The lady without a second thought, reject me flatly and said this is NOT NEGOTIABLE!! I asked even when the ballroom is not taken up that night? She is so confident and answered me this is not possible.

I went to other hotel This gives me a bad impression of the hotel service and my husband and I decided to BLACKLIST them already.

pekochan81

Ellen> Congrates! Hehe...dun worry ya, u're in good hands with MM! Btw, when's yr AD?

Cheryl> Sorry to hear yr unfortunate experience with MM. But I reckoned they're unable to accomodate as they have a break-even point to meet. I'm sure this applies to other hotels too. Before I signed up with MM, I had wanted to sign up with Crown Plaza @ T3. Unfortunately, I was also unable to meet their min no. of tables which was 20. The coordinator also told me flatly that they won't be able to cater to us. That was why we started searching for other places before I stumbled upon MM. Anyway, hoped that you'll be able to find your dream hotel ya. Since u've got 40 tables, it shld be easier 4 u to source a suitable hotel.
happy.gif

ellentg

Thanks pekochan, my AD is 31 Jul 2010
happy.gif

Hi Cheryl, sorry to hear that... Sometimes it really depends on which coordinator you speak to, and this is the same for all hotels.

I also called other hotels and many of them turned me down flatly and immediately after hearing my no. of tables. I asked the same questions as you and got similar reply, so it could be quite a standard practice for banquets ba... In fact, MM was one of the few that are nice and willing to give me some counter proposals.

Some hotels will still let you have the room but the package will have a lot less perks if you dun meet the minimum table requirement, not worth it also la.

Anyway, hope you can find your ideal venue soon
happy.gif
with 40 tables, you have a lot of choice
happy.gif

dslitegal

I agreed with Ellen. They are willing to counter proposals & willing to find out whether they can offer your wants. It's quite a pleasant process 'booking' my AD. =)

Gd luck Cheryl. Hope u r able to secure a venue soon. =)

in_truder

pekochan81 >> if i'm remember correctly, helper's day room, foc canapes and free wavier of cockages for wine and hard liquor are already included in the package. I also tot of asking for additional night stay but not sure if they will give or not.
Btw, did u hold your wedding at mandarin court or another ballroom? Which theme did u select?

in_truder

Ellen >> i tot of asking for additional night too but after what u said, i think i will be rejected too. Btw , is waiver of corkage for wine included in the package... i forgot wat are the perks liao.
Wat other additional perks did u asked for? Have u selected the theme?

ellentg

JL, mine also at Mandarin Court le
happy.gif
yup it's Jul '10~

in_truder, waiver for hard liquor is in the package but not for wine, so better ask them for wine corkage waiver. 3 trays of canapes foc and helper's day room also (till 7 or 8pm).

As for additional night stay in bridal suite... i had no luck but you can always ask~ asking is free hahaha maybe you will get some pleasant surprise
happy.gif
or, if there are things you dun need, you try to "trade" for one additional nite stay... see how it goes
happy.gif

their package is very comprehensive liao... a lot of things already included. i just make sure they put in the free flow wine from wedding show perks...

themes... still too early to select ba...?

in_truder

Ellen >> other than the additional nite stay, did u ask for otehr perks (eg. wine corkage waiver)??

i agree that their package is almost "bao-ka-liao" liao. Normally wat are the items dat can trade off?

Wat do u mean by "i just make sure they put in the free flow wine from wedding show perks", i tot it is free flow of beer, rite?

ellentg

Hi in_intruder, for the wedding show perks, it's a choice of free flow beer OR wine. So i opted for wine.

I asked for wine corkage waiver (in case my relatives prefer to bring their own wine). i guess shouldn't be a problem~ Also asked for increase in car park coupon.

pekochan81

in_truder> Yup, those items u mentioned are mostly included in the package. But it's best to ensure those are provided coz some hotels dun include those. My package then already includes an additional stay in the bridal suite w breakfast. On top of tat, it also includes a $388 net rebate off our total bill. So u might wan to fight for more rebate.

Haha...I din exactly ask for more perks already since the package is already very comprehensive. I did try my luck to ask for waive of stay for my helper's room, but was not possible. Only managed to extend the room till 11pm, which I tot wasn't exactly a perk.

Frankly speaking, for us, we felt tat MM wedding package is value for money, yet maintaining the exclusivness of the event.

Ours was at Mandarin Court. Basically, they do not have any theme per se. It's more of mix & match of table cloths & flowers. Not to worry too much as the coordinator will advise u on the best combinations. Unless u've yr own theme & want to do up the whole place at yr own cost.

Ellen> Wow! It's good tat u got to choose bet free flow beer or wine! We only had free flow beer! Yes, wine corkage waiver shld be part of the package.

ellentg

pekochan > nowadays waiver of wine corkage is not in package liao, so we have to ask for it, but lucky they give la
happy.gif

which "theme" did you choose? at first the coordinator showed me many photos of different color scheme, but last week when we met again, seems like the deco choice available has become less... hmmmm. but see how la will think about it when it's closer to my AD
happy.gif

in_truder > actually it's the best for you to negotiate with the coordinator directly about what other additional perks you need, sometimes, what one coordinator can give is also different from another. besides, what perks they can give will change from time to time depending on their management decision.

for e.g., from what i understand, when pple book their package last year, they can get additional nite of stay easily and they also have cash rebates. even in Jul's wedding show they still give cash rebates. but now seems like their guidelines is different again.

maoushroom

Hey babes> I've paid deposit at Meritus today!!!! Yeah!!!!

I have one free night stay (coz I din want one bottle of champagne, cake, cards and the complimentary room). Wanted to upgrade this free night stay to bridal suite, cannot. But top up can.

Din know that they could do cash rebates, an additional stay (last year perks). Soooo attractive.

But in general, their package and service till now, not bad liao... Thumbs Up!!!!!!!!!

ellentg

hahaha maoushroom good to have you here
happy.gif
we can discuss about theme and all banquet related stuff here haha ^_^

Ya lor the previous wedding show got cash rebate, too bad we missed that haha

anymore 2010 BTBs here?

csy

i guess the extra perks we had for the previous road show was becoz of the renovation that was going on.

Now the renovation are more or less done, they probably are less 'generous' with it

but i think it's worth it lah, coz the service and food were good!

ellentg

maoushroom > yea these 2 are 2010 theme... when i first went down they show me the old themes. but now old themes not available anymore cos they changed vendor for deco liao...

oh when i first went down, she showed me photos of table cloths of many different colours and a few types of flower arrangements. now for the new themes, they are not using the old tables cloths liao, but i dun like the new table clothes haha... but coordinator said can arrange to use the old ones cos the table linen are from the hotels, not from the vendor...

SY Chen > i see... true la the reno really affected the external appearance of the hotel a lot haha... but now actually there is another construction going on right next to the hotel (the new library or youth park i think) and it's v noisy, wonder when it will be done...

in_truder

pekochan81 >> Your perks are indeed better than this time round. Btw, do u mind to pm me your pics coz i haven seen the actual setup for the ballroom b4. Did u engage any live band? How's the food coz many of my frenz said it wasnt that nice.

Ellen >> Ok, will try to ask for additional perks. Btw did u also ask for cash rebates and is there anything else that i should take note or ask for? Sorry for being kiasu.
Oh ya, i'm also 2010 BTB. =)

in_truder

Ellen >> U mean we still can select the type and color of the tablecloth? Like maoushroom, i only know there are 2 themes - Garden & Victoria. Its so limited, dont know if it can match my gown or not.

chinook

I went down to MM to choose my theme and favours about 2 weeks ago, will be holding my wedding in the Mandarin Ballroom in Jan.

They had 2 themes: Garden and Crystal - I picked crystal.
3 choices of tablecloths for guest tables: red, gold, silver - I picked gold.
Wedding favours: really not much to choose from, I picked the 'xi' coaster at the advise of my FIL.

pekochan81

Ellen> I'm surprised they took out the waiver for wine corkage. It's definately much cheaper to bring in yr own wine. hehe...but luckily they still give to u. Anyway, u've got free flow of wine rite? so I guess it's not too big an issue for u. ;) Haha...I dun quite exactly rem wat I chose leh...I tink was more of the Gold table linen. The flowers were roses, mixture of Yam & Red colour I tink. Seriously, at yr AD, u'll realised u din actually go take note of all those stuffs u chose! Coz yr brain is freezed with excitment! hahaha

SY Chen> Good to see u back here again! Hehe...how's married life?

in_truder> Haha...actually we signed up coz we are really so in love with Mandarin Court! It's really very cosy, plus they also had the bubbles machine for march-in. No worries abt not having a long aisle for march in. Infact u can take 2 'routes' for yr 1st & 2nd march-in so tat yr guest all round can see u up close & personal.

I dropped the idea of engaging a live band since ours is a buffet & ppl will be running ard & not paying attention. But we aired our morning express highlights instead which was the "Star" of our wedding, as it was really entertaining. Kudous to our VG! Sure thing! I will PM u the link to my pix
happy.gif

in_truder

Chinook >> when did u sign up the package? I was told there are only the themes - Garden and Victoria, din know there is this cystal theme and i was also told that we cant select the tablecloth or any setting coz it will spoil the theme. May i know how many favours they have coz i heard not much choices and cannot make it.

pekochan81 >> Thanks so much for willing to share your pics. I will view it when i reach home. My HTB and me also love Mandarin Court becoz of its unique structure.

They got bubble machine for march-in ar? I tot is the dry ice effect only... do i need to request for that or they will automatically cater it in?

Any PG and VG to recommend... i'm currently lookin for one for my ROM and probably AD. On tight budget so hopefully yours is not those high end one.

ellentg

in_truder, the Garden and Victoria themes are for next year. This year's theme is diff from next year's cos they are changing their deco vendor.

I've already shared what i've asked... Please negotiate with your coordinator in detail on what other perks you need... that's the most accurate information you can get.

better for you to go down and view the place physically - the structure is unique but some pple may have other concerns after viewing the ballroom....

good luck in your nego with your coordinator le
happy.gif

maoushroom

Chinook> There were only a few wedding favours to choose from ah??? That is very sad coz the coordinator told me got quite abit, more than 10. And there will be more next year...Hmm....

Ladies> I love the Mandarin Court lah. The structure so unique. Just abit disturb that the wall is black and white. The coordinator said they will not be changing the wall colours anytime soon. Oh well...can live with it
happy.gif

I think the themes Garden and Victoria is still okei lah. If find abit too limited, then might have to find external vendor to spice up the place??

ellentg

in_truder > yup yup better go and see for yourself. cos some pple may have issue with e.g. accessibility problem for elderly etc. But i must say Mandarin Court is really nice and unique~
happy.gif
also... list down what you need and dun need so you won't miss out some items when discussing the package with coordinator.

okie gals from what i remembered, next year themes are Garden and Victoria. The new table linens are white and gold. They have new chopsticks (i think black + gold) coming in also.

yup my coordinator advised me not to change the table linen as their designer designed the whole theme with the table linen colour in mind, but she also said if we die die want to change, they can help... but the flower and stage deco cannot change la, unless we wanna source on our own at our own cost.

i actually preferred the old yam-colour table linen....

maoushroom > yea cos Mandarin Court only renovated about 2 yrs back... won't change so soon le... btw coordinator said next year there will be new wedding favours coming... but anyway i think i will still take chocolate hahaha

pekochan > maybe becos most of the hotels dun give wine corkage waiver in the package (only hard liquor waiver), so MM follows suit ba... haha

maoushroom

Ellen> Chocolate edible!!! haha...
I saw this couple having those note pad attached on an individual groom/bride shape stand. That one was quite sweet.
We shall see how things go. Still have some time to go.

chinook

in_truder >> I took the Mandarin ballroom not Mandarin Court so maybe instead of Victoria theme it's Crystal theme which may be more suitable for the large ballroom. At least now they have actual themes.

maoushroom > They only have shotglasses (about 4 designs), coasters (2 designs), notepad, highlighter, sauce dish.. Hopefully they would look into getting more types of wedding favours.

pekochan81

in_truder> I've PM u the link to the pix. Yes, for the bubbles machine, u need to specifically ask them for it. I requested for only bubbles for 1st march-in; and both bubbles & dry-ice effect for 2nd march-in, coz wanted to 'match' the feel to my songs & gown! haha...My VG is Filmman Video & PG is Montage Studios. Both threads can be found in this forum. But PG & VG is very subjective. We love their works but it might not apply to others. So it's best tat u go thru their website & meet up with them in persons to view their works & of coz, to see whether u're comfortable with them. But I've got a fren doing freelance for wedding. You can view our ROM album. If u keen, I can pass u his contacts. His works is not bad & price reasonable.

maoushroom, Chinook> Yes. The wedding favours are pathetic. And we had even lesser choices coz we already given coasters to our friends during our ROM. Then I stumbled upon a website tat caters all the wedding favours at a reasonable price. http://www.yovell.com/. Depending on yr qty, u still can ask them for further discount. We took the His & Hers Luggage Tags which was very well-received. Very cheap & useful favour! HTHs
happy.gif

csy

we chosen the shooter glass and coaster for the wedding gift. think the combi was quite okie

peko..wedding life okie lah...we married for 1 year before having the customary dinner..lao fu lao qi liao..

now nothing much to plan..life like so boring like that..haha

pekochan81

SY Chen> Hahaha...oh, same. We also ROM almost a year before customary. But during tat period, was busy with hse reno & wedding. Haha...come tmr we're ROM-ed for 1 yr liao. So fast! U went for your honeymoon yet? Hehehe...plan for a baby lah! We trying next yr. Keeping fingers crossed tat we'll be blessed with a child w/o having to try for too long!
happy.gif

csy

we did our house reno first and house warming and ROM on the same day at our new house. 1 year later than have our customary.

Honeymoon go liao, just after the customary we flew to Japan.

I planning for rabbit ger leh...next year is Tiger right?..they say tiger ger very fierce..hahahha

pekochan81

SY Chen> Haha...I've yet to go for my honeymoon! Planning for next yr March, coz my hubs wans to go catch match in old trafford. So gota suite his schedule! *faints* Yupz, next yr is tiger. Most ppl oso have the same tinking leh...tiger ger later very fierce. But my mum & a few of my frens are tiger but ok leh. So am still contemplating. Was tinking will try in May-Jun'09, then deliver in Feb-Mar'01 to siam Tiger babay. Hahaha....then again, will leave it to fate la. Coz my hubs not getting any younger. Plus, I've noe of ppl who tried 10yrs oso not successful.

JL> Wow! Tats really quite long. Where u all bght? Punggol? Haha

dslitegal

pekochan81> ya becos if it's time to settle down so we ROM lo hee... We r waiting for Telok Blangah Towers.. BTO still not ready even after our AD haha

Try a bb soon. woman biological cannot wait..tiger baby ok mah... just don't be too pan dang, my mama & sis r tigers & they r ok mah..

prinsessy

Wah nv come in for a few weeks & then so many new posts. Good we can share here
happy.gif

Congrats once again for Pekochan81 & SY Chen
happy.gif