Maldives

starfruit

Hi , I am considering Maldive as one of my honeymoon destination. Any one has any comments, or feedback to share on this exotic location?

piscean33

Hi starfruit,

I have been to Maldives last year. It was a great unforgettable trip. The sea is crystal clear, with really great snorkelling to do! Views from the sea-plane is so fantastic you'll know why it's called the last paradise on earth!!

If you plan to go, you could try island-hopping (Maldives is comprised of 1000 over small islands!). Take note that all expenses over there are in US$, & try not to choose their monsoon season (very windy & unpredictable weather).

piscean33

starfruit

Hi Piscean33,

Thanks for yoor feedback. I have the following questions for u.

1. Where did u get the package.
2. Which resort did u stay in?
3. how much did u spend in total?
4. Is it safe if i planned and do the trip myself without going to the travel agency. I have shortlisted 2 resorts which i liked and the local travel agencies do not do them. Do u think its safe if booked it myself through the internet and just arrange my own air ticket and transport with the resort directly?
5. I guessed u must have stayed a night at Male before transfering to the resort by seaplane. I am also choosing a resort that is far away and requires an airplance to get there.hehe.,.. i told my hubby i wanna experience the seaplane and not the speedboat transfer. Where did u take the seaplane to ur resort?

I am worries about thetransfer from the airport to the place where i take the seaplane, dunno who they will arrange it lor.

Thanks for answering my questions.

nee

hi piscean33,

thanks for sharing,,, is June a good time to go Maldives? How much did u spend and for how many days? any shopping (am a shopaholic...)?? paiseh to ask so many Qs in a row...

starfruit

Hi Nee,

Dun think u will get to do much shopping there. Shopping is not that great and stuff at expensive cos in US dollars.
Its basically a sun sand and sea place where u relax and enjoy each other's company.

I think June is a nice place to go. Their peak period is between dec to jan. So guess june is nice time to go too. R u planning to go next june?

J

jcky

Hi Nee n Starfruit

I totally agreed with Piscean33 tt Maldives is a wonderful paradise!!! i was there in Dec99 on self-arrangement tour. it wasnt difficult at all cos e hotel(s) will help to make the transport arrangements! It's really a great place for relaxing n enjoying e beautiful beach n sea..and of course e ethnic dishes! I cant remember which are e periods to avoid (e guidebook has been passed on to my fren) but Dec is definitely a wonderful timing - blue skies, clear blue water (u can see beautiful colourful fishes swimming around knee-length water height!)
Seaplane is an interesting experience, but speedboat is equally fun too!

As for shopping, i think it'll be quite a disappointment for Nee cos souvenirs are not fantastically unusual. Also, one has to be careful with those tourguides in Male cos they'll keep following u street after street, trying to recommend souvenirs shops for yr shopping.

Happy planning for your honeymoon...we hope to revisit e place soon again...maybe with our kids in e future! ;)

starfruit

HI jcky,

Can i check withu. how did u self arrange for ur trip? did u book the resort via the internet and get ur own air tickets?

Can u still remember how much u spent in total?

J

jcky

HiStarfruit

I made direct arrgmt w/e resort htls via internet and faxes. As for e tickets, we redeemed thru' our Krisflyer acct since both of us travelled alot on biz trips. As for the expenses, sorry...i cdnt rber how much we've spent, but definitely burnt a big hole in our pocket cos we were staying abt a week each in both Banyan Tree and Hilton Resort respectively, thinking tt it cd be 1st and last trip since we have always prefer to go to different holiday resorts.

You may like to check e internet sites...e local agents can help with e arrgmts too.

starfruit

wow.. can image the $$ u spent 2 weeks there.
happy.gif

Thanks for the tip. ya.i am planning to arrange myself as well. planning to get the tickets only and will book the resort directly. Got a few quotes from the resort too.. seems like they r very friendly and helpful in arranging for transfer from airport.

I guess u were tansferred to the hotel directly after u landed at the airport. i need to arrange for a night stay at the Male cos i can only tansfer to the seaplane the next morning.

This is the first time i am DIY-ing for trips.. so abit worried.

nee

Hi starfruit and jcky,

thanks a lot for the info!! seriously considering Maldives next june unless the guide book says no. No shopping can be a good budgeting mtd i guess... sob sob (jus joking...) Cant wait to lay my hands on the guide books... will update all you wonderful ppl!

nee

hi starfruit,

err... with regards to trip planning, my usual practice is to get the best of five quotes (so far mostly local agents). tried booking the Australia great ocean tour from net, wah... very stressed, so scared it's a bogus company, bcos when we were there we had to call them a few times to arrange pick-up venue from our handphones (overseas rate) and that sort of thing. so think book everything locally has less stress and worries.

u got lobang to share issit??

think i will only do serious tour scouting next year, cos rates will change by then.

starfruit

Hi nee,

I planned to do my own tour. Will give u my feedback after i come back in Nov.
happy.gif

Any idea which resort u r keen on yet?

starfruit

any one has any more information to share??

jcky : u still there? wanna check which website did u book ur resort through?

Thanks!

nee

starfruit,

thanks a lot in advance!! aiya, been looking around but still havent got much info on Maldives yet... Saw some pics on net before, try search! will update u when i know more.

J

jcky

hihi starfruit

i m still around! our final arrgmts were done with e resorts directly thou we browsed thru websites and guidebooks on the recommendations. i cant rber e websites now but u can always try yahoo travel guide; lonely planet or just type in 'Maldives' n u'll be able to find lists of useful info.

We stayed one nite in Male upon arrival cos SQ flight arrives at past midnite (local time), but i m not sure if SQ has increased flights to Male now.

Happy planning!

starfruit

Hi jcky,

Thanks for ur feedback. No SQ still only has 1 flight a day to Maldives. I will need to arrange for 1 night's accomodation on either male or Airport hotel. keen to stay at Male cos its cheaper than the airport hotel. where did u stay? male or airport hotel?

starfruit

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">Hi All</FONT>:

I have sorted out my travel arrange to maldives, will be there for a 7 days 5 night honeymoon trip in Nov. The trip is not cheap.. gonna cost us like around 5K... but i am sure it will be worth it.
will be staying 1 night in male (central Hotel) cos our SQ flight is a night flight before transferring to our resort via seaplane the next day. will be going to a resort on the Meemu atoll.

I am soo excited :D

O

ohno

<FONT COLOR="ff6000">Starfruit</FONT>

Glad that u've finally settled your honeymoon, am sure that u'll have a great time there...
happy.gif

starfruit

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">ohno</FONT>:

thanks for ur msg. So poor thing, me post msg here, no response at all.. lucky u reponse.. hehe.
BTW: i changed my milan appoint from yesterday to tonight. cos i have vinna the whole night today. if u around, can pop by
happy.gif

cass

Hi all,

I am planning to go for a short trip to Maldives in Jan 2003. Wanted to stay in a water villa or water bungalow.. can anyone help by recommending a resort? Banyan/Hilton is definetely way outa budget.. =(

blanche

Hi...

Actually,my FH proposed to me in Maldives... hehe..really beautiful memories of that place. One wall in my new place is filled with pictures of Maldives
biggrin.gif

You can try Laguna Resort. That's the one we went for. Beautiful clear water, really perfect for snorkelling. If possible, try the water bungalows ie those erected on the water. From the balcony, you can go down the steps and step into the clear water....sigh, thinking of it makes me drrooooollllll.... hehe

starfruit

Hi Cass,

I stayed at a Resort on the Meemu Atoll when i was in Maldives. We booked the resort online. We booked a beach villa initially cos i wanted to save some $$ :p but ended up only only stayed a nite in the beach villa before we transfered to the water bunglows. The water bunglows are really beautiful and i heard dec and jan are the best time to go cos the weather is the best at this time. however, this is alsop their peak period and thus will be slightly mroe expensive than other months.

My resort is only accessible via seaplane, so i had to stay a nite on male before flying out the next morning to my resort.

Hope the above helps. Email me if u need more info. [email protected]. oh and i can show u my maldives pictures too.

I was there in Nov this yr and plans to go again next yr.

Its a really terrific place and i highly recommend. Even better if u r a diver or someone who loves seasports.

amore

Hi starfruit,

thanks for sharing with us on ur honeymoon trip to maldives...
happy.gif

I'm getting married next yr nov and we would love to go to maldives for our honeymoon trip. I would like to know how much did u spend in total for ur trip. i.e. accomomdations, meals, transfers etc. Don't have to give a breakdown just the total will do.

Thanks!...

cass

Hi Blanche and starfruit,

Thanks a lot for sharing!! =) I will check out those resorts. Indeed the prices are higher now as its their high season, but I think there are some airline packages now from SQ and Sri Lankan Airlines... will check if those resorts are among those in the packages..

starfruit : yes, I would definetely like to see your pictures.. will email to you seperately. Thanks a lot!

starfruit

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">Hi Amore</FONT>
I spent about close to Sin$5K for the both of us for this trip. Its a 6 days 5 nites trip. however, i spent a night on Male as i need to take teh seaplane to my resort and the seaplane dun fly after sundown (SQ arrives at 8 plus at night on Male). I went on a full board basis, didn't spend much except on souvenirs for my frens and family, on drinks ( full board does not include drinks) and also on tipping. all in US dollars. Its not cheap but i think its definitely worth it!!!.
No seperate cost for transfer cos all is included in my package. the travel agent sent someone to pick us up at the airport, transfer us to teh make hotel, pick us up the next moring (at dawn) for teh seaplane transfer and then when we were back on male for our flight back to singapore.
Hoep thsi help. u can email me if u need more info.

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">Cass</FONT>:
I also check out dome of the SQ and Sri Lanka packages before i chose to DIY. SQ packages requires me to fly in 4, as if i dun have 4 pax in total, the surchage is really expensive. as for sri lanka airlines, ther are the cheapest so far, but they require me to stay in Columbo Sri Lanka for 1 night and hubby and me was not keen. so we forego and did it ourselves.

cher

Hi Starfruit,

My Fiance and I are considering Maldives to be our honeymoon destination. Pls advise us if booking online is a better option than booking thru' a travel agent. Thanks!

E

energizer

Hi Cher

I'm going to Maldives for honeymoon next Wed
biggrin.gif
. I actually took up SQ air-tic promo in Nov, and SQ is running the promo again. Check out the papers..I paid $688/- per tic then and booked my 5N resort at asiatravel website. Response from asiatravel is very prompt and FYI, they are listed company in S'pore, tho their sales office is located in Phil.

When do you intend to go? The current SQ promo gives $690/- per ticket. I saw it today's straits times..with this offer, it's definitely cheaper to book separate accomodation via the web. Asiatravel and www.themaldives.com have promo packages, check them out! Before the SQ promo came out in Nov, I actually booked 3N F&amp;E package with a local agent which cost a bomb. Aft I saw the SQ promo, I only purchased the tics from the agent. Imagine we saved $900/- with the SQ promo and booking with asiatravel.

For 3N on beach bungalow and 2N on water bungalows at Paradise Resort on half-board (B/D) and on SQ, I paid total of $3.8K for both of us. Asiatravel can get the water bungalow booking for me while the local agent can't, that's one of the main reason why I did not pick up the accomodation with the local agent.

cher

Hi Energizer,

Thank you so much for the information! I feel that we're overcharged here if I go thru a local agent but not sure if booking thru the internet would save us.

Do tell me more about your trip! Airplane is out, as it'll cost an additional $400 though the further atoll would be beautiful.

I'm looking at Paradise Island's water bungalow sometime in mid-March. Do keep me updated and give me some good tips when you're back!

Enjoy your trip! I'm sure you'll have a fun time!!

E

energizer

Hi Cher

I agree with you that the further atolls will be more beautiful, but the seaplane prices are totally out of budget. I'm leaving tonight and will provide u with more info when I return next Tues on 21/1! Will definitely enjoy the trip, can't wait, another 4 hours!!!!

Cheers
rofl.gif

starfruit

Hi cher,

if u can afford it, should definitely try the seaplane. its really a different experince. i went to the resortthat requires me to travel by seaplane for 45mins. the feeling is so different as compared to travelling on a notmal commercial plane.

starfruit

anyway i glad to see mroe and more ppl heading there. its a really beautiful place, very expenive but definitely worth it.

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">cher</FONT>: it should be cheaper when u go in march cos march is a low season and ur resort package could be even 30% cheaper as compared to energizer's.

E

energizer

Hi Cher and Starfruit

I'm back. Wow! Maldives is heaven! Beyond words.

Cher : I'd strongly recommend Paradise Island. The resort is large and is surrounded by clear waters and has a comprehensive range of activities and excursions. I agree with Starfruit that it's very expensive but definitely worth it.

I still feel nostalgic about the place and was deeply saddened leaving it
sad.gif
. As for Paradise, I love the place as you can walk out to the sea more than 100m from shore and the water level is only up to your hip...you don't need to swim far to see the marine life, as you can see the fishes even at the shore! We had a wonderful time there, really. We stayed 3N on beach bungalow and 2N on water bungalow. U must stay at the water bunglow for at least a night, it's wonderful, as you can simply be in the waters by walking down the stairs. Food there is also good (personal taste) and half board will be sufficient. It's buffet style and everyday they change the menu.
The resort is patroned by mostly Europeans and Japs, we did not meet any S'poreans there during our stay there.

It depends on your budget, really. If you are looking for a 5-star hotel and do not look for exclusive accomodation like Banyan Tree or Angsana, then Paradise will probably be it. The rooms are not super fantastic but they are clean, spacious and decent.

I'm not sure about March, but it sure is packed this Jan. All the rooms are full, I heard in Paradise..however due to the large island, the place is not crowded.

If you really want to try the seaplane, Paradise has excursions for photo flight. I did not try it but the 4-hour flight costs US$100/pax. We tried the island hopping trip and night fishing trip at US$53/pax &amp; US$30/pax. At Paradise, everything u spend within the resort is charged to the room and only settles the bill when u check out..so you do not need to bring too much US$ if you intend to sign on credit card. We brought US$550/- and spent some US$350/- for 2 excursions, lunch, drinks, sovenirs etc.

Tips: Bring your own mineral water bottles, tidbits and book to read. A bottle of mineral water costs US$3/- at the restaurants and US$5/- in rooms. Soft drinks cost US$3.50/can and food (sandwiches) costs US$7-US$12. Grab the mineral water from Cold Storage at T2 in the airport at just S$0.95/ bottle! We only brought 3 bottles there, a Thai couple we met there brought 12 bottles there! And, put sun block! We got sunburnt on our first day by simply walking and swimming at the beach in the morning and suffered in pain the next few days. If you can, bring own snorkel eqmt, it costs US$10 to rent each day per pax.

Oh, u can skip Kurumba Village. We went there for island hopping and thought it's kinda crap. The resort fenced off the waters and you can't swim beyond 50m.

If you have any queries, feel free to ask. Must go!! Must go!! Must go!!!

starfruit

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">Hi Energizer, </FONT>

Glad u enjoy ur trip.. i guess almost veryone fell in love with that place after visiting once (inluding you and me). in fact I am planing to go back in Nov this yr.. hehehe.
u must share ur pictures with us okie and did u have a chance to tour male?

<FONT COLOR="0077aa">cher:</FONT> energizer gave some very good tips esp on the purchasing of mineral water, so do take note.

E

energizer

Hi Starfruit

Pity I don't have a scanner to show pics to you all..talking about living in this cyberworld :p. Will surely get the stuff when I settle in our new home, cos the amount of pics of our wedding and honeymoon are rather substantial!

Can I see your Maldives pics?? No, I did not have a chance to tour Male. My resort seems to have the excursion but did not fall on those days when we were there...

BTW, what is the name of the resort did u stay in? We sure will return to Maldives but not as close as your intended Nov!! Must save lah, beri expensive leh.

Cher: If you have UOB Credit Card and have accumulated uni$, u can consider redeeming yr pts. I got their brochure yest, and saw that they are charging S$1,100/pax (+ 400 Uni$) for 3N in Angsana on full board basis including speedboat transfers. Thot it's not a bad offer; if you still can pick up the $690 SQ air-tic promo, it costs $3.6K for 3N airfare+hotel (for both of u) which is rather reasonable. But of cos, 3N is never enuff for Maldives!

Cheers
smile.gif

moony

Hi all,

does anyone goes there in May 03? Wonder if good to go there at that period? What activities can we join in for honeymooner?

snowbelle

Hi All,

I know that US Dollar is accepted in the resort, but what about in Male? Is it better to prepare some local currency before going there?

Any food or activities that you would highly recommend to try over there? Thank you.

starfruit

Hi snowbelle,

US dollars is accepted everywhere including all the shops in Male. U can change to some local currency when u r at the airport, there is a bank/moeny changer which u can change ur US dollars to their local currency. I didn't change cos m guide said it was not necessary as the resort uses only US dollars.

rool

hi!!

When I read all your posting describing Maldives, it makes me drool :p

Question to ask:

I have been trying to locate the exact place of Maldives. Where on earth is this heavenly place?

Any one can upload the scenery on the web?

Thanks!

enya

when would be a good time to visit maldives? what about december? which would be a nice hotel / length of stay etc? can't think of anywhere else to go during dec - europe too cold, japan too cold etc etc ...

blythe

Hi enya,

Good time to visit is in Nov and Dec. Now is the monsoon season. If you are into diving then better go end of the year.

B

baruru22

i think it's advisable to buy in SG if u dn mind carry them. At Banyan Tree Maldives, it's USD5 a bottle!

matka

Hi! Am considering going to the Maldives in October for our honeymoon. Would it be a good time then? Have heard rave reviews from friends who've been there!

Can anybody advise which travel agent we could book our tix at good rates?

Any recommended resorts?

Thanks!

=)

amore

hi matka... nebber been to Maldives but will be going there for my HM in Nov/Dec too.... I had found the resort we like...it's Veligandu Island Resort.... sourcing for air tics now....

icemilo

When me and hubby went to Maldives, we also brought 2 bottles of Mineral Water. But then, when we reach the resort, realised that it also provides us with 1 litre of mineral water per day.

cocoabutter

Hi matka,

You can check out Fascinating Holidays at www.fascinating.com.sg for their packages to Maldives. Quite comprehensive range of hotels. I'm also considering going to Maldives in Oct for my honeymoon. H/ever, all promo seems to end in Sept so now waiting till end Aug to see whether any more promo for Oct.

Hi Amore, can you share the reason for your choice of Resort? I've shortlisted Angsana and Baros Island Resort because I wanted to stay right on the beach
happy.gif
Does Veligandu Island Resort have such accommodation and what is the cost per room/night?

decbride

Did you guys tried Clubmed Maldives? this island call Faru... i tell you, i think Maldives is the ideal and most wonderful place for honeymoon...

i suggest Clubmed because they have a really excellent package, covers flights, meals (breakfast, lunch n dinner = all buffet style, dinner is international buffet, everyday!) and also, all the activities! the last time i went, the package entitles you to go snorkeling 2 times a day (on top of all the other activities you can do around the island)... and it's absolutely beautiful beyond human comprehension! you can see sharks, turtles, stingray, hordes of fish, squids, just doing snorkeling (i don't have a diving licence). i think a lot of islands have 'hidden costs' like if you want to do certain activities, you have to pay, so it becomes really expensive in the end. But for clubmed, once you sign up their package, you know it is all you are paying for... of course not including shopping.

and Faru, the clubmed island is only 30 mins boat ride from Male, the main island, so you can arrange a day trip and do some shopping.

and if you really want to go to other islands, you can arrange island hopping trips... which of course extra.

but of course, if activities is not what you guys &amp; gals are looking for... which i totally understand since it's honeymoon... so a really secluded island, no man's land, would be much more suitable
happy.gif

you can check out more through the clubmed website or call the clubmed office in Singapore.

cheers.

amore

cocoabutter... not sure if u are a UOB card holder.... UOB travel planner have a promo for Angsana in Maldives... $1100 + UNI$400 for 3 nites stay in their beach villa...full board... this is oni a land package.... u still need to get ur own air tics...

The reason i choose Veligandu Island Resort is the water villa
happy.gif
and it's full board... per room is USD277 nett for the dates I choose.... if u wanna go in Oct think it's cheaper...

I did a comparison with the UOB promo on angsana and this resort....... i prefer water villa and angsana do not have water villa/bungalow....and it's cheaper compare to angsana.... on budget lah... cannot anyhow spend....

I got the resorts info from asiatravel.com