Maldives

kelpy

ok. thx.
so faru is by the beach...
Kani is the one that stretches out to the sea right?...
a bit sua koo
sorry

daphne

allo,

according to the staff, kani is double the size of faru and the best feature is the houses on the sea really lovely. of course prices is also quite "lovely" loh. the facilities is about the same .

cc2

Hi,

Would like to find out from those who go Maldives by SQ flights, what do you do after checking out from the resort(12pm) till the time of the flight which is 11pm?

sousa

I just went for a spa the whole day and chilled out at the spa and poolside. Went to Male itself to have a look too just to kill time but I think not much to see in Male. The hotels will usually let you have the room for an hour or two in the evening to freshen up before your flight, even though you've checked out.

cc2

The resort which I will be staying don't have a spa.
sad.gif
Dunno can extend the check out time till evening or not hor?

pageup

Hi female,

Thanks for replying.
We will be going there end Feb for honeymoon
happy.gif

Intially we wanted to stay in a deluxe lagoon villa but they are way beyond our budget so will settle for second best i.e the lagoon villa.

Was yours also a half-board package i.e only breakfast is provided? How much does a lunch or dinner cost on average? which resturant do you recommend?
Did you take part in any of the activities like snorkelling or seaplane ride?
My friends advise us that we should take a sea plane ride but the price stated in the website is sooo expensive, I wonder if there are alternative

Is there any other activites we shouldn't miss?

thanks.. opps, hope I don't sound too long winded

daphne

Hi Kelpy,

i paid around $1400 per person, full board. u can check out club med website, they are having tons of promotion now...

female

Hi Pageup,

You're actually in luck! The lagoon villa is the best-kept secret there. I actually posted this before in another thread on Maldives..just cant find it now. What happened was, like you, we wanted deluxe lagoon, but it was only available 1 day later, so the plan was to stay 1st nite in lagoon villa, then moved to deluxe the 2nd day. Turned out, the lagoon villa is so much better than the deluxe, we kicked a fuss to "downgrade" back to the lagoon villa. Later, the staff admit that they also think that the lagoon villa is better. These are the reasons why: 1) we're actually advised against swimming at the deluxe villa coz the currents there are strong. but, the pt of staying in a water bungalow is to be able to climb down the ladder straight into the sea rite?! at the lagoon villa, you can do that. 2) more privacy. there are actually a lot more deluxe villas than lagoon villas. at deluxe, there is a common walkway above water for prob 20 villas. at lagoon, u only share with 1 other villa 3) its a much closer walk to the restaurants/swimming pool areas fr lagoon.

hiyahh, why i say so much - once you get there, you'd see what i mean! 2nd best is indeed the best! Im sure you'd have a wonderful time - Feb is good weather. I went during the monsoon, so it rained too much, & no point to snorkel also. but we still had a great time coz its all so beautiful.

yes, mine was also half-board, but breakfast is usually so heavy that we skip lunch. its all ala carte, no buffet. I only ate at the restaurant at the reception area, coz the other one was too expensive. Food's very very good. In fact, the chef got written about in a premier magazine. Expect to pay about USD30-40 per meal. Rem to bring snacks & instant noodles. Skip the water coz its provided. You can also bring your own DVD, tho they have a library there.

Becoz of the rainy weather, we didnt snorkel. Neither did we island-hop coz its expensive! we only went on the Male city-tour. Please Please skip it. Utter waste of $$, hassled by retailers all the time. I did the spa...sigghhhh. spa is a must!!! try the indian head massage.

well, whos the long-winded one here???!
happy.gif

eternity

hi,

i'm planning to go Madives in Sept for my honeymoon and it's so exciting reading about all the postings!!! can't wait to go there....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

female,
is the weather that bad in sept?? rainy most of the time?? i know that later part of the year has more rain, but i'm hoping that my one-week trip there will not be dampened by the rain... planning to go snorkelling and diving leh...
happy.gif

kelpy

Hi peepz
Planning to go for honeymoon in March.
Checked out rainfall and temp chart, seems that time is the driest with avr temp.
Anyone to confirm this?
Thanks

cc2

Hi Kelpy,

Which March u intend to go? If u are refering to next mth, better confirm your tickets and accommodation fast. I almost couldn't get any air tickets and rooms.

Nov to March is the dry season.

kelpy

Heee me next march...
happy.gif

probably go for club med's kani.
think it's abt $1500+
So issit good to go during march?

cc2

Me going march too! Think it's not too bad to go in march. I also not very sure. 1st time going mah!
lame.gif

U going on which day?

$1500+ is for how many nights of stay?

kelpy

cc2

my march is in 2005.
happy.gif
in case you misunderstood.
I checked club med online for 4 nights. but that's the price per pax for this year and SQ

eel

Hi female!!

Was Taj Exotica really really good? Saw on the website-- really beautiful... Me planning to go in dec!!!

How much did you end up paying? Where did you go to book huh? I realised that the travel agencies only offer breakfast but no half board.. Must we ask for it??
talker.gif

Also, did you have to spend a night at male before proceeding to the resort? My hubby (who had gone there to dive)was saying that some resorts will only provide transfer in the day... But SQ will only arrive at night!!!

So sorrie for so many questions!!
embarrassed.gif
But finally found someone who had gone to Taj Exotica!!!

Thanks!!!
kiss.gif

female

Hi,

eternity: according to the staff, they say that the monsoon should have ended by end August. but as Maldives is pretty big, i think the weather can vary fr island to island. I mean, even on our tiny island, it is common to walk in light drizzle from one end, to sunlight & no rain by the time you reach the other end. The rain I encountered were all very mild, last 10-15 mins each time, but just very weak sun. Im sure you can still snorkel and dive. my hubbie & i are more sun-types, so when see the sky grey-grey, dont feel like entering water. Even with the monsoon, Maldives is a very beautiful place -I may not have seen much sun, but I saw lots of rainbow. 1 week! wow, what an enviable budget!

Hi Eileen, the resort itself is purrrr-fect. Beautiful big rooms, nice minimal white decor, excellent staff. and that sun-deck! However, the beach is just a tiny strip of sand - i wldnt call it a beach. Its also coral-sand, so its not the super-fine, like flour kinda white sand.
But these may be a common feature all the other islands share coz Maldives has very mild waves. Can anyone who's been to the other islands enlighten me?

I paid about $1700 coz we extended 1 night. The normal 4D3N is abt $1400. Part reason why we chose Taj was its close enough to the airport to reach by speedboat on the very night we arrive. Its true, the sea-planes do not fly at night, so, with many resorts, you're required to stay overnight in Male before transfering in the day. DO not take the fullboard offer that agencies offer. I believe we were offered to top up $170 per day. Which is ridiculous, considering each meal for 2 is about usd 50 at most. There is no need for lunch coz breakfast is usually a heavy affair. We brought our own snacks & instant noodles too.

Hope this helps!

female

oops eileen, missed this out. We used Holiday Tours & Travel coz they were the only one offering Taj. They have partnerships with more Maldives resorts than many other agencies. Maybe that's why we were the only Singaporeans there.

eternity

female,

thanks for replying... glad to know that it's only slight drizzle... well, no choice if the sky is a little grey, grey... as long as can still "chiong" for the snorkelling and diving, i'm happy enuff liao....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

by the way, i went to Taj's website n under the link "about us", the picture shows these long stilts out to these sea. are those lagoon villas and deluxe lagoon villas? and those on the stretch of sand is the beach villas? the pictures are so beautiful... can't wait to go!!!!
happy.gif

female

book the lagoon villas - trust me, its better, and cheaper somemore. did you read my posting on Feb 10 about this? the interiors are exactly the same. those long stilts you mentioned are deluxe lagoon villas. yes, those are beach villas - looks good too huh, but they're not above water. click on this link to see my pictures of the lagoon villa.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=ke9z1v5.h0rey8p&x=0&y=-ue4it5

some of the pixs were taken in a drizzle.

seeing the pixs, oh, now i want to go again!!!
happy.gif

eternity

female,

thanks for posting the pictures... so beautiful!!!! of course if the sky can be in blue color, it would be perfect....

by the way, i tried using the online reservation at Taj's website and chose quite a number of dates, but all seems to have no availability... do u know if it's not yet open for reservations or u think it's fully booked??? better not be the latter...
sad.gif

eel

Hi female

Thanks for the pictures... So nice!!! Especially the one on the deck and the bathroom... Your $1700 includes the airfare right???

Ok now I'm seriously considering Taj....

Thanks again for your help!!

female

no problem ladies
happy.gif

eternity, i wouldnt know why, maybe you can call them directly to ask? they speak english. they did say their peak season is in Nov - Feb. let me know if you find out how much it is to book directly. but generally, tour agencies get better deals when coupled with air tix. yeah, there was 1 blue sky. but the sky before & after rain is so gorgeous - did you notice that the water looks greener?

hi eileen, yes, includes airfare. $1700++. i cant rem the exact amount. i believe its a pretty good deal for water bungalows. the bathroom's really nice - very big, with separate shower & toilet. it was raining, so my pix couldnt capture the view fr the bathtub. but it was in there that i saw the stingray & mini shark! literally jimped out fr the bath & ran to the deck to see. you should check the website - the pictures there are awesome. www.tajhotels.com/maldives

pageup

Hi female,

Thanks for your info and the pictures. I'm already counting down to our trip, which is next week.
biggrin.gif

just one more question...what is the usual tipping rate like? I understand they only accept US$ there right?

Thanks again

eel

Hi pageup
so lucky!!!
wink.gif

me so envious of you!!! Must take more photos for those who haven't been there...

female

Congrats pageup!

We paid mostly by credit cards, so just need to round up the figure a bit. USD$2 should suffice. As for carrying of luggage (we didnt have much), bringing of things to the room, its up to you if you want to tip or not. We didnt, coz no small US$. If you have, $1 shld be ok.

Have a great trip & remember to report back here for the other girls!!! so envious....
happy.gif

cc2

Hi smurfy,

Tks for sharing the pics. I'm going Maldives in another 3 weeks times!
bounce.gif
really looking forward to it!

deviant

wow, smurfy, those r pictures in heaven rite?!?!?
happy.gif
So nice!!!

makes me wanna go back to Maldives again!!!
hee hee...

eel

SO NICE!!!

Thanks Smurfy for the beautiful pictures... NOw it's time to start dreaming about the place...
yawn.gif

pageup

Hi ladies,

Thanks. Will definitely share with all of you if I manage to take nice pictures.
happy.gif

Smurfy, I thought mineral waters are usually complimentary?

smurfy

hi pageup,

I tot mineral water are complimentary too. But for my resort, only 2 bottles of mineral water were complimentary. Rest of the days, they only gave me a hot flask of water and the water taste funny. We were also being advised against boiling the tap water for drinking. 1.5litres of mineral water cost US$2 from the minibar.

I am not sure about your resort but I will definitely bring mineral water next time I go
happy.gif

eternity

smurfy, arghhh..... you got me going into dreamland, after seeing those beautiful pictures.... i jus let the slideshow repeat once, twice, three times,....

pageup, i oso read before that not all resorts provide complimentary mineral water daily and can cost UD$2-3 when bought at the resort's restaurants/minibars... so you may want to check wif your resort first or bring some extra...
happy.gif

smurfy

hi eternity,

Don't dream.. you can go if you want
happy.gif
its not really that expensive if you don't stay in the water bungalows

eternity

hi smurfy,

if you read my earlier postings.... Yes, i'm going there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

just that me went into dreamland much earlier after seeing your pictures ....
happy.gif

i'm planning to go there for my honeymoon in late Sept and is now looking at which resort to stay.... can share how much u spend and where you book your package from???

smurfy

hi eternity,

Ooops...if you don't have a budget, do go for Hilton. I heard that its glass bottom bungalows is a paradise..

I stayed at Fullmoon Resort, opted for breakfast and dinner. I booked the tour from Asia Euro at Chinatown point. I cannot remember the price. Will get back to you tonite when I check it out.

eternity

smurfy,

it's alrite....
happy.gif

wow, glass bottom bungalows... that's interesting.... will go check out the pricing and see if i'm willing to splurge on it...
biggrin.gif

yap, yap, help me check the price and let me know okie? thanks a lot !!!!
happy.gif

smurfy

hi eternity,

We paid S$3,332 in total for both of us. It is suppose to be a 5D3N package but in actual fact we reach there on Thurs night and leave on sun night.

I check out my guide book (borrowed from a friend) : Each sunset water villa suite at Hilton has a glass-floored sitting room, rotating circular bed, large-screen plasma TV, remote control Roman blinds, private boat, butler, and a specially excavated lagoon swimming pool (around US$2500, wow!!!).

But there are cheaper type of accomodation at Hilton too.

hi Cat,
Basically its just sea sports at Maldives. Some examples are snorkling, fishing, diving, sailing, canoeing, surfing. Aso, you may go island hopping, male shopping, whale and dophin watching, take the seaplane. All these activities are arranged by the individual resorts. You just need to sign up at the activity center and all charges are billed to your room. Other things that you may do on the resort itself are spa, tennis, beach volley etc. You don't have to bring many clothes, just your range of bikinis will do ;p

Its advisable to choose a resort that has house reef, better for snorkling
happy.gif

eternity

smurfy,

thanks for the information... so the deal u signed up was 5D3N, but the resort actually pick u u on thursday and check u in?? that's not bad... i was thinking whether we had to look for another night's accommodation in Male or maybe still around at the airport till day break...

wow, it's really "WOW" for the Hilton deal...
happy.gif

so i supposed Fullmoon has house reef? will such information be available in guide books?

smurfy

hi eternity,

yup, we check in on thursday cos our resort can be reached by speed boat. I guess those resorts that don't check you in are those further away and need to be transferred by seaplane which operate in the day only, eg. hilton.
But if you book with agent, they will do all accomodation arrangement for you, so you don't have to worry about it.

Nope. Sad to tell you that Fullmoon does not have a house reef.. we didn't do our "homework" well enough before we book this package. But even if there is no house reef, you could still book their reef snorkling activity and they will have a speedboat take you to somewhere with nice reefs and fishes..

Yup, all these information are available in the guide books. They are available at some national libraries for the older version and Times do sell a couple of them too.. In Maldives also got sell alot of their guide books..

eternity

smurfy,
thanks for the info... found some website previously that has the list of resorts in Maldives... now trying to go through them patiently and shortlist some... planning to borrow/buy guidebook to further help in the shortlisting process.... hope to find the best honeymoon location that is within wat my pocket allows....
happy.gif

so how's married life??? heehee...

smurfy

eternity,
yup, alot of websites on maldives. Surf around first since you still have some time to your honeymoon
happy.gif

Married life seems less exciting than before. I feel that we had less communication. We used to talk on the phone everyday for 1 hr, now when we reached home, we will do our own things. For instance, he will watched TV while I surf net. Or he will play comp games while I wash clothes or watch tv. So I feel that life had become boring for me.. Maybe I'll go and take up some courses

eternity

hi smurfy,

you are early today...
happy.gif

yah, still got time to surf around, but think need to quickly shortlist already... scared later the resort i want fully book then i will be very sad...
KS hor... heehee
biggrin.gif

maybe u two can find some activity to do together lor... like going for exercise, or having picnic at the beach... it's like this lah, getting married is not all about love, it's about companionship oso... just make it a point to do something that both of you like together... enjoy the companion while keeping the love alive...
happy.gif

smurfy

hi eternity,

I won't be so early if I got a choice. Got work today mah.. so sian..

yup.. if you book everything yourself eg. air tickets, accomodation etc you can book much earlier thru the airlines and those accomodation websites. If you book thru a tour agent, dont' think you can book early. Must wait for the package rate to be out, usually 2 months before travel date..

He is always quite busy.. sometimes he worked until 8+ in the evenings. I also hope we can find something to do together