Maldives

jam

Hi Planner,

I'm also thinking of going to Taj Exotica after Pageup highly recommended the lagoon villa (see our earlier postings).

Do you mind sharing which agency you book from and how much is it approximately? Are you getting the beautiful lagoon villa as well?

Am sure you'll hav a wonderful time there and Thanks in advance!

ekiror

Hi Jam
Okie i go back have a look at my agency company. Can't remember....sorrie.

Yes, i took the lagoon villa. The delux villa is way too expensive. And my friend who went there earlier this yr told me the water is not as calm as Lagoon villa. And there is more privacy in lagoon villa.

Well, i guess i have to go there to find out myself. Total i paid about 5K++ for 2 islands. ...I'm going taj exo and baros. Very broke now...sob sob..hee hee..

when are you going?

jam

Hi Planner,

thks! look forward to ur info re the agency...

my wedding is in Mar next year, so still got 6 mths to my honeymoon =) now just checking out to see how much roughly it'll cost =)

yah, i agree $5k is quite ex for a short holiday hor...but once in a lifetime mah... somemore so many good comments abt the lagoon villa, am sure it'll be a memorable trip! u going for ur honeymoon? does it mean ur wedding is just round the corner?

btw, how come you going 2 islands? is that normally the case for Maldives? do you then stay in 2 hotels? is ur trip still the std 5D3N?

sorry to bomb you with so many questions.... do share with us more when you are back from Maldives yah? =)

ekiror

yes, going 2 island. just extend your stay there lor. Pay so much to go there already might as well explore and stay longer. At least no need to pay for air ticket again. Just need to pay speed boat transfer..and its not cheap.

blink_blink

Hi starfruit & all the gers

My wedding is end of Jan 05 and thinking of going to Maldives in Feb 05. Can Starfruit email me ur pics please [email protected]?

Thanks and would appreciate it alot
happy.gif

starmed

jam my trip's is 4 nites... but if u consider the checking in date 21st mar as the 1st nite cos by the time we touch down it's nite time liao.. transfer to resort by speed boat... think I'll only check in abt 11 plus close to midnite... keke...

lhuisian

Hi all,

Just to share ... i went to NATAS Fair today ...checked out some of the deals for Taj exotica. 4 nites will cost me 3000 ... not sure if i should go for half board or just book accom with breakfast.

The lady told me if i choose half board it's 99 bucks for breakfast and dinner ... but if i don't pay 99 bucks i still get breakfast ... so the 99 bucks per person is actually the price of my dinner. I wonder if it's more worth it if i don't pay 99 (half board) coz i'm a small eater ...

anyone who has been to taj exotica can advise? Is the cheapest and most decent meal at least 60US?

ekiror

may lee
ya..very expensive. I did not get the dinner packages. i guess you have to bring own food there. Of course can't be every night eat instant noodle or whatever, but maybe you can consider alternate nights. They sold ala cart meal there..about US25.... still ex...but what to do.

We are going to pack one luggage with lots of food, tibits, bread and drinks.... save money. no choice man.

Anyone any advice?

jam

hi starstar,

guess what! i'm also planning to go on 21st mar! aft my wedding on 19th mar, which is prob the same day as yours? =) =)

if we do go to Maldives in the end, will prob run into u on the flight! hahah =) btw, do we have to book so early?

now the only thing that's holding me back is really the price. we were kind of considering between Mauritius and Maldives... and it seems like $3000 per pax is really much more ex than Mauritius..... *headache*

cookiecreamie

Hi ladies,

I went maldives for my honeymoon last year and it was wonderful. I actually got in touch with an agent from UK and he is really good. He offers really good advices and went a long way to ensure that our trip was gonna be good. Though I'm here in singapore, we have no problems communicating via the email and once the booking is made, he'll send the vouchers over to you.

He's Richard and if you gals are keen to check him out, can write to him at [email protected]. Website: [email protected]. For someone who is so particular over service, I give him 5 stars!

by the way, no worries if the resort that you're keen is not featured in his website. Just ask him and he'll provide you the rates.

blink_blink

Hi C&C

Which resort did you stay in maldives? And how much did you pay for it (in pounds or sin?)

Sorry for so many questions :D

cookiecreamie

Hi Tancy,

I stayed in Velavaru (http://www.velavaru.com/location.htm) for 5 nights and paid about US$1,900 which includes seaplane transfer, christmas supplements and full board.

If you are thinking to go end of the year, it's best to start booking now cos all our initial options were fully booked. Velavaru is slightly more ex but nevertheless, we enjoyed our trip thoroughly.

ekiror

Hi C&C
Wow. very nice. Did you take any pics there? Can share?

Can you give me the website of the agency? The one u wrtten above is email.
Thank you

starmed

jam
hey wat coincidence...
happy.gif
yup u got it right... my dinner's on 19 mar... well if u r going to maldives.. we'll run into each other..
rofl.gif

i've booked my tics n resort liao... staying there for 4 nites... by the time i check into the resort think it's eleven plus... cos the plane lands at nite ard ten... i'm staying at Taj Coral Reef.. lagoon villa... paying US$374 for per nite stay include breakfast n transfer n taxes.. think for 4 nites it's US$1496 for both of us.. I booked direct wif the resort...
happy.gif
air tics is $600 per pax... think u better decide fast as I'm afraid the resorts will fully booked if u decide too late... keep me update...
happy.gif

lhuisian

Hi gals,

Would like to find out from those who has been to maldives ....esp taj exotica.

I've booked my trip to Taj Exotica coming jan 2005. I have to check out from the resort by 12 noon on my last day. However my flight leaving Male airport leaves at night abt 11 plus pm ... Which means i have abt 10 hours for me to lug my luggage around ... gosh ...

I do not want to pay for extended checkout at 6pm ... too ex liao ... 800 bucks for extending another 6 hrs.

What did you all do ... for those 10 hours? tks

tks
May

jam

This thread has been quiet for some time...

still haven't booked my tour to Maldives yet. hoping to get a nice hotel, but think the lagoon villa at Taj Exotica is really beyond our budget (thinking of extending to 6 days somemore). now contemplating Four Seasons.

any comments? also, may I know which tour agents in Singapore offer good deals for Maldives?

p/s starstar - if we decide to stay in Taj Coral Reef in the end, we may just be staying next to each other
rofl.gif
btw, u know if Taj Coral Reef is 5-star? and does it have a tv in the room?
happy.gif

lhuisian

Hi Jam,

If Taj Exotica is beyond your budget .. four seasons is far worse ... i was like you ... i want 5 star standard but something economical ... but realised that taj exotica is one of the cheaper ones amongst four seasons and hilton. Alrady burnt a BIG HOLE in my pocket ...

But do check out the rates for four seasons ... maybe got promo
happy.gif

cheers

jam

hi may lee,

yah lor!! if really cannot find one within budget, maybe will settle for a beach bungalow rather than lagoon =)

btw, read that u've already booked ur trip. may I know which agents you booked from? wanna look for an experienced agent that can recommend a suitable hotel =)

thks!

lhuisian

I booked from Holiday Tours and Travel Ptd Ltd at Cairnhill. They offer quite a lot of resorts packages. They are one of the VERY FEW agents that offer package for Taj Exotica. Check this out! http://www.holidaytours-sin.com/

The other one that offer Taj Exotica is Anglo French ... but their price almost killed me! For the same amt that i pay for my water villa under holiday tours for 4 nites, i can only get beach villa under Anglo French.

If you want to go during Jan - Mar period ... better book fast.... coz jan - Mar is SUPER PEAK period ... villas are snapped up REAL FAST
happy.gif

Or if you don't mind, can check out the water villa at this resort name Baros ...

cheers

starfruit

<b>MayLee</b>:

What i can suggest is for u to hop on a boat or dhoni and go to mainland Male. U can put ur luggage at the hulhule airpot hotel for a small fee. We hopped on the complimentary boat service from the back of the hotel which brings us to the mainland(approxx 10mins).. get a schedule from the concierge/bellhop. i was in the same situation.. so spent half a day touring on the mainland. Becareful though, cos there will be ppl coming to ask if u need tour guides. U can walk on ur own cos the island is not that big. There are lots of souvenir shops there as well. U can also have ur meals in the many restaurants on the mainland. It was ramadan during my trip so no restaurant was open and we ended up having dinner back at the airport hotel before checking in for departure. Hope this helps.
happy.gif

starfruit

<b>MayLee<b>:

What i can suggest is for u to hop on a boat or dhoni and go to mainland Male. U can put ur luggage at the hulhule airpot hotel for a small fee. We hopped on the complimentary boat service from the back of the hotel which brings us to the mainland(approxx 10mins).. get a schedule from the concierge/bellhop. i was in the same situation.. so spent half a day touring on the mainland. Becareful though, cos there will be ppl coming to ask if u need tour guides. U can walk on ur own cos the island is not that big. There are lots of souvenir shops there as well. U can also have ur meals in the many restaurants on the mainland. It was ramadan during my trip so no restaurant was open and we ended up having dinner back at the airport hotel before checking in for departure. Hope this helps.

miso

HI

I am going to Maldives next week!!
I will be staying in Soneva Gili
Searched for the weather this week but it seems like its raining...I thought Dec is okie..keep fingers crossed

jam

Hi Miso,

think someone commented that Soneve Fushi is one of the best hotels there! must be really ex... you are so lucky! =)

must enjoy yourself there and share with us when u r back yah? =)

ekiror

I just came back from Taj Exotica last month. Very nice. Service is excellent!!

I stayed at lagoon Villa. Their Beach Bungalow also not bad...the sea is just infront of the bungalow. Very nice place.

And yes I agree..its not cheap. But its a once a lifetime experience. So why not...hee hee

lhuisian

Hi Starfruit ....

Finally i see you
happy.gif
haha

I actually wrote to Taj Exotica to request them to extend my check out time from 12pm to 6pm without having to borne additional cost. *hee

coz this trip is my anniversary cum hubby birthday trip ... of course now super peak period so they replied they can't commit at this moment ... but that they will provide a wash and change room for me to be able to wash up and deposit my luggage after my check out from villa at 12pm.

Your idea sounds good too ... but 10 hours is kinda too long for me to walk and explore the mainland ...haha ...will see how

Btw, how is the shopping ...? can get unique and cheap things?

cheers

starfruit

Hi May,

yup.. was MIA from this forum for a while. Yup.. 10 hrs is a bit long to hanga round the airport...as it was ramadan when i was there, many of the shops were closed so i didn't see a lot. Maybe thsi time round, u will get to see a lot more shops.

i didn't prepare a lot of the local currency... just US dollars... the shops accept them as well.. so dun worry.

When i ws there, there was not much stuff to shop... many of them were selling the usual souvenir styff, like seashell ornaments, wooden crafts etc. I did bought quite a few of the tea leaves housed in wooden boxes the shape of a fish as gift to bring home.They come in 3 to 4 sizes. Most of the gifts are made in india.. many of the stuff are quite similar to those u see in thailand.

Oh i more tip, the guides there do suggest for u to not dress to skimpy when u r on the mailand.. cos they r a muslim country, so they frown upon showing too much skin. It is however ok on the resort, even bikini is accepted there. So try not to wear shorts and spag top when u r on the mainland, t-shirt and capris would be better for girls.

lhuisian

Hey starfruit ... Thanks for the info. Me counting down already.

Rest of the gals ... Anyone just came back from Maldives (esp taj exotica) recently and got photos to share can email me? [email protected]

Cheers

starfruit

hi may,

i am not sure if u have ever seen my maldives pic.. just sent u the link .... think i looked a lot slimmer back then... heheh
happy.gif
must be my crazy diet for my wedding dinner.

Oh and dun forget to stock up on ur own mineral water.

There are 2 pics of male.. the republic sq.. as u can see not much there.

jam

Hi Planner,
good to hear u had a good holiday there! do u really think the beach villas are good too? if so, may just go with that =) (anyway, i can't swim. so thought lagoon villas are a bit scary =P)

Planner &amp; Starfruite,
do u mind sharing ur pix with me too? my email address is [email protected].

thks!

ekiror

Hi Starfruit
Thanks for the link. Great pics. Can i know what resort is that? Very nice.

Hi Jam,
Don't worry. The water at LAgoon villa is very shallow...only up till knee cap...can walk all the way out still knee cap level. The beach villa don't have that much privacy leh. Anyone can just walk along the beach and can see inside. Go for the Lagoon one. Very good experience. You won't regret.
I sent you the link already. Have a look.

starfruit

Hi <font color="aa00aa">Planner</font>... i need to try and find the resort name again.. i cannot really rmember the full name. Will let u know when i find it.

<font color="aa00aa">Jam</font>: ok willsend the link to u.

starmed

Jam
hi...wah so long never hear from u... tot this thread 'dead'...:p

anyway the resort i'm staying is 4 star but u can assure all the ammenties are there... i'm staying at a lagoon villa... got TV... no worries... if u wanna go during the time I'll be going, better book fast... it's one of the peak season.... if u can afford more, Taj Exortica is a 5 star or more hotel...
happy.gif

elyopit

Hi, all.
new here. thinking of going on honeymoon to taj exotica next year june. is it too early to book?

hi, planner, starfruit,
care to share to pics with me? thanks

ekiror

Hi elyyah and js

You got mail

elyyah, yes its too early to book now. I think you can wait for NATAS fair in March (i think) to get good deal.

js, so which resort are you planning to stay in Maldives?

miso

hI i am back from Soneva gili
One bottle of evian costed 5 USD there .
besides that its a wonderful place..
and for those looking for good deals, book during natas fair..

elyopit

planner,

thanks for the pics. the place looks heavenly...
ya, i think i shall wait for the natas fair next year.

still dunno whether to go banyan tree or taj exotica....anyone with help?

starmed

hi all
does anyone of u know which resorts are affected by the tsunamis?? heard that the sirport is closed indefintely.... dun know when will it reopen?

lhuisian

Hi
I'm going taj exotica in 15 Jan 2005. Went to taj group website. They posted news saying that no casualty and no injury to tourists and staff. I also emailed them. waiting for them to reply.

Quite worried tho ... tho no injury no casualty (thank God) ... but not sure how much damage the tsunami has done to the resort itself ....

Paid so much for the package some more ...
sad.gif

lemongrass

Hi,

Had planned to go Maldives too but decided to cancel cos even though the resort may not be destroyed, imagine what has become of the scenery and the sea? Atmosphere may be grim there too. Husband said to postpone as there may be too much "yin qi" as a result of the deaths....

miso

planner

u still want to view the photos?
lcukily i came back one week before the tsunami
dun know whether anything damage seriously there but the web page said that they will not receive guests till feb

jam

Based on the link Planner sent, seems like both the hotels we have shortlisted (Four Seasons and Taj Exotica) are both not operational now...

sigh, seriously considering changing my honeymoon plans now... probably go Japan or NZ instead

may lee - did u manage to contact Taj Exotica?