Maldives

patndrew

Christie> I am a shopaholic.... I think i am suffering from some shopping sickness.... in Ho Chi Minh, many say there's nothing to buy, but i bought lots of stuffs! and i've got to find a carton box to pack those stuffs! and this happen everytime i travel..... even in australia.
Mostly i bought something usefull for my house, like plates, tray, baskets and baskets i like baskets! especially in the western country & europe, those kitchen utensils are cheap and good, especially those baking utensils, most you cant get it here! I bought a nice tray from maldives too!

except Taiwan really nothing not much to buy.

ryo

yup folks.. i'm back. really tiring where most of the time I'm working...so dun really enjoy a working trip. Agree with u folks, not much about shopping in Taipei. anyway both me n wife no shopaholic.... more like a nua type. Ha. Food is the thing in Taiwan... and must know where to eat. Our taiwanese collegue brought us to the nice stall, where most of them are really small establishment with long history. Yes these stall are much nicer than others.

I prefer to go Australia,korea and japan if I wanna to buy things, and also love the food in these places as well. Slurp. :p

ok.. regards to the molest case, it's not in my recommended list, so dun worry, but do take precaution. Although Maldives is a Muslim country, but they do have alot young man without wife and alot of drug abuse cases within the youngster.

u folks have facebook? I pm more details there regards to the issue if u wanna to know more... and the outcome. :p

Christie> Nah... me no rich also loh, I'd just spent without thinking much....kekeke. Some are from my stocks and some from saving. Now with a kiddo, we are getting "Niao" with our money liao. It's been probably 2yrs(since my wife got pregnant) I never bought anything luxury for myself.

The question we should ask how come those angmo can go W, Conrad etc... for 3weeks?????? heehee...
happy.gif

mooncloud

Pat> Ho chi minh has tons to buy... who say nothing to buy?!?!? So many bags loh. I dunno how many bags i bought the last time when i was there. Ha... So far no house yet. Cannot buy things for the house. Thankfully. But yup.. didn't buy much in taiwan except spending on food. The fashion there not to my taste. In fact we came back with taiwan dollars. Changed back to hundred over S$.

Wu> Add me! [email protected]. Pat can add me too! Ha.. can see your photos (if you all have them on facebook).. And can get more details. Ha..

I am trying to like harness the power of the stock market to subsidise my exploding Maldives budget. Ha.. Starting to be 'niao' too. Since got to like set aside for reno, family planning.. sigh. So your boy is 1yr old already? Started walking? Ha.. i like kids of that age.

Anyway, will take precaution over at Maldives when i finally get there. Now still debating between conrad and angsana velavaru. Any takes? Velavaru seems more affordable. But the deluxe beach villa of conrad is beckoning me.

patndrew

Christie> I will add u in, was think of that too, so can share those travel pictures.

Talking abt kids, my sis is so stress now, the P1 registration is making her so worried. Hubby and I still considering having kids.....

mooncloud

Pat> for me no choice, my hubby much older. Think he also wants kids.. My MIL also pining for grandchildren i think. Coz my hubby's older sis never give birth.. MIL getting old still no grandchildren. I dun mind giving birth lah. Just that feeling playful so want to enjoy a bit more first. Lucky for me, hubby say next yr then try. ha.. can go tour abt first! ;)

P1 registration is madness.. Unless ur sis not particular abt schools. If want those better ones. Its a mad rush. Then the ballot. Aiyoh.. nightmare.

Yupyup.. add me in.. can share photos! though i dun load tat much up. ha. but i got my honeymoon ones in there.

Wu> velavaru has like go 7 nights pay for 4 promo right now for their ocean villas. I feel like booking an air tic right now and pack my bags fly there. Sigh.. wonder if they haf it next yr when i am going.

ryo

Hey Christie, added u liao.
happy.gif

Most photo inside is my kiddo's photo. He is 9mths old tomorrow.
happy.gif
Already like a little monkey, think will faint when he started walking. HAaa... :p

Hmmm.... it's a tough call though. I would say take Conrad deluxe beach villa plus water villa, OR simply Angsana water villa.

WHere u see the price for Velavaru? Agoda or www.mal-dives.com?

I wanna to go!!!!
happy.gif

patndrew

Christie> Velavaru in ocean villa is a boat ride away from the main island? are there any common facilities over at the ocean villas island? i check it 888USD per night

mooncloud

Wu> 9 months is still ok. Wait till he walks! Ha... My nephews are so active. I pant when chasing after them. Anyway, saw the prices on holiday-tours ( nothing to do so surfing ard) then went to check the special offers under mal-dives and they have it too!!! My hubby refusing to go this year. Say not enough leave. Damn sad. So good deal loh. Pat> yup. It's out there by itself. Think you can take the speedboat back to the island for activities. Quite clueless. But since we both nua, we ok doing nothing there. Not sure if you can. I saw the price 893 or something like that per night. Anyway, using iPhone to reply. Dunno where the enter button is. So no paragraphing. Sorry! Will add you all in a while. Sigh... Still working.

patndrew

Christie> saw your photo, nice trip ya! what make you decide to go Alaska? long journey ya.... you were on F&E? a lot of reserch to do?

Wu> your photos are very nice! you are a pro photographer? did edit most of them? I am learning, but enjoy looking more than taking. and when travelling, shopping urge stronger than taking pictures, thus always keep the camera!!
you were in Perth for some shooting? my hubby and I like Perth a lot, he used to stay there. And we are going next month to do 1st anniversary photo shoot with a photographer

mooncloud

Pat> Was trying to find some exotic place far away for honeymoon. Ha.. Initially did consider maldives. But decided to go further at least got honeymoon as an excuse. Maldives later part... coz my hubby is against my extravagant trips
sad.gif
Had frens who went alaska and also watched documentaries and seem like alaska was a nice relaxing place. So chose it.. Plus it is prob going to be gone soon.

Not on F&E though i did do all the F&E research. At least most of it before i ended up choosing the tour. Reason: cost. Tour package ended up cheaper. A few thousand cheaper. Plus didn't want to do the road trip into rockies coz its going to be tiring on both of us even if we can rotate shifts. But kind of regret. If next round have a chance to go, i think i will do F&E and spend more time slowly taking in the sights. Need a lot of planning at the rockies side.

As for alaska, did the cruise. Its considered F&E coz you can choose ur excursions. Eg, we chose helicopter and dog sledding but others chose to go on a train ride. So more flexible.

Both places very very lovely. But be prepared for long road trips and if on the cruise, may get seasick. We got seasick even with such a huge cruiseship. Took a bit of the joy away. But still lovely place. Encourage pple to go, provided they are willing to part with maldives. Ha.. Think its very very different over there. If ever thinking of going then i can help as much as i can. ;)

Wu> your boy is very cute! Ha.. was looking thru the photos of your prince. Anyway, you stay at bt panjang?!?!? Me too! (though now at ILs place.. but soon to be back there when house is ready) Coz i saw you mentioning abt the coffeeshop and the summons. I went there the other day too! Ha. Wanted to park there till we decided to play safe. Phew.. come to think of it, now it seems like we made a lucky decision.

Perth is lovely... and your photos are lovelier. ha.. How i wish i can take beautiful photos. But like pat, i prefer to look more than take. Can never understand the many functions of a camera.

All> the price of velavaru inocean villa is USD868 (from mal-dives.com). And under special offers, they did say with 7 nights 3 nights free. So i guess the offer is valid, but up till 31 oct only. Sigh. My hubby refusing to get out of singapore until next yr. Coz we just came back frm honeymoon in june.
sad.gif
Hope next yr they still have it. Anyway, i think the inocean villas do have a spa somewhere there and a restaurant? Though they say they serve dinner on the 2nd floor of the villas. Confused. But anyway, i believe you can always take the 5 mins speedboat to the island if required.

Think i will leave all decisions till next yr when the promos are out. See which resort gives the better deal. Till then, i shall just surf ard and see if i can tempt anyone else with better deals. :p

ryo

PaT> Thanks ya
happy.gif
I used to shoot wedding.. but stop totally after my son was born.. Ya I did enhancement in most of the photos.
happy.gif

Brought wedding couples to shoot prewedding in Perth, and all the way to Margaret River 2 yrs back during May. Really cold then.
Yeah.. I know wat u meant... If care too much in shooting, you'll missed out alot of other things. Now I only shot with my Iphone.
happy.gif

Ahhh... I love Perth!! ur hubby used to work there or study there?
Which photographer will you be engaging for the perth shoot?

I'm planning to bring my son there next year... by then he should be able to walk. Kind of missed the apple strudel, Fish n chips and off cos the blue sky and cool weather there in Perth.
happy.gif

Do show us the photo of your perth shoot when done yeh!
happy.gif

Christie> Sounds really fun and lots of things to do in Alaska. But when heard about the hours of flights there, really scared. Haaa....

HAaa.. my son is getting cheeky as day past. He never stop crawling... very tiring indeed. Cannot comprehend when he started to walk. Faint. :p
Yeah.. I stay in Senja Grand.. and yup that stupid carpark had a CCTV now. I mean it's stupid la, it's a dead end road.. and ppl only buy food and go liao. What obstruction do we create? Really crazy and ridiculous la. S$100 bucks for 2 packs of Bar Chor Mee. <<shake>>

Yeah.. Perth is lovely.. wanna to go back again. Missed the weather there. I've been there twice, 1st is my honeymoon... kekeke... no money that time, had to go with tour group that consist of kids and anuties. Haaaa.. 2nd time is with 2 couples for photoshoot.
happy.gif
Hope to revisit with my family this time round.
Just practice more and you'll be a good photographer.
happy.gif

Anyway hor.. the Velavaru offer is this. You'll have to stay for at least 7nites and they'll give u 3 more nites free. Meaning effectively you're paying for 7 nites, plus the additional 3 nites taxes. Seems pretty good deal too. Still a good deal though, Mal-dives.com rates is nett so effectively you're paying at around US$607 per nite!!
They always have offer every year, however it will differ from season to season. Likelyhood is for low season, they will only give say free transfer, or meals upgrade or probably best is buy 6 nites stay 7 kind of deals.....

Actually USD607 is a good deal really... and it's like till Oct, meaning shoulder period. Can give it a try. NExt year rates might be up... u'll never know.
happy.gif

patndrew

Wu> i engaged William Chua, you know him?
my hubby used to study there for a yr, moved to canberra study 2 yrs, work in Sydney for 1.5 yrs
We have been going to aussie land every half a year, twice to Perth, it's very meaningful to take our photo there because thats where he proposed.
happy.gif

now i am troubling about what to wear, my hairdo and where to go for the photoshoot..... any good suggestion or guidance?

its cheap to go F&amp;E in aussie land

I added u in FB

ryo

PatnDrew> Haha.. of cos I know him. His style is unique, and He's gonna shoot perfect photos for u folks in Aussie for sure. I know him not in person but he is a famous Wedding PG in Singapore.

Ah I see.... ur hubby spent a long time there in Aussie.. so he must be speaking perfect aussie..
happy.gif
Cheers Mate.
happy.gif

I think hor just be as natural as you are will do. If u wear jeans often, just do jeans and tee shoot. You can do shoots in shorts as well or miniskirt with slippers.... Just be natural n you.
Hairdo wise the same, if u like aittle perm, or rebonding, I think shld be fine, not overdoing it though.
Dun think you'll be doing anything with dresses or gown right?
William Chua's photo is always more about the scenary and lesser of the couple( for prewedding), some u might not be able to see ur face.... it's complement of both of you with beautiful scenary.

The last time I brought my couple to the Pinnacles, Kings park, busselton jetty, Augusta lighthouse.
See some of my picture here:-
http://ryonpepper.multiply.com/photos/album/51/Perth.Busselton.Margaret_River.Augusta
http://ryonpepper.multiply.com/photos/album/52

Not sure what is your package like but most likely is only be Perth city shoot/kings park/fremantle. It's unlikely you'll be going all the way to margaret river or Augusta.
Willam Chua should be very familiar with Perth, so I guess he is the best person to discuss with.

Yup agree, car rental is cheap, food is ok, accom is ok... only water is ex.. Haaaa...
happy.gif

Thanks, accepted you as friends liao!
happy.gif

mooncloud

Pat> Clueless about photoshoots actually. Think got to ask wu abt things to wear... Hmm.. i remember albany to be very nice. Drive down from perth. Lovely place. The rest got to ask wu already.

Saw your photos of maldives. So lovely.. Got to wait till next yr for my turn. How depressing..

Wu> I missed the fremantle fish and chips! Ha.. went there with my family quite some time back. Yet to meet hubby. Hubby neber been there. Prob will go there with him some day. But got to go down the list of to-go places. Ha.. I went in june. Didn't feel that it was freezing. Can survive that temperature. Still ok.

If you and your wife like wildlife or nature stuff then alaska and canada will be suitable. Less shopping though. But very different 'feel'. You can go on stuff like whale watching or wildlife cruises. Do it only when u think u can survive the plane ride. Nitemarish.

Senja grand??? We are going to be neighbours soon! Ha.. when i finally get my BTO. I'm going to be at senja green! Ha.. But that is provided you dun shift away by the time i shift in. :p Your bah chor mee really very expensive. But yah.. madness. Why is there so many complaints? No one is blocking anyone else wat.. Except for patrons of the kopitiam, no one actually drives there. Funny...

Stay 7 nights give u 3 more?? Hmm.. that stoopid holiday-tours confuse me. Write there stay 7 pay 4. Was still thinking such a good deal. Although stay 10 pay 7 also not too bad. But if its stay 10 pay 7 then definitely no chance for this yr. Hubby not enuff leave. He is stingy with his leave also. No way i can get him to go over.

Dun tempt me lah! Haha... I already no mood to work. Dreaming of the sun, the sand and the spas.. So unproductive at work. Die..

patndrew

Christie> ask hubby to save some leave, if 10 nights not possible, then go 7 nights, or min 5 nights.... try other offer from another resort.....

Wu> William Chua done our AD, we didnt do pre wedding, cos we have 2 dinners, thus spend quite a bit on the AD shoot.
www.everlastings.com.au
we intend to go to this wildflower farm

ryo

Hey Christie,

Yaaa. It's really a relaxing drive along the way down to Albany. Do you have a plan for Perth? kekek.. maybe we can share info?

Haahaha....Oh yes. we're gonna be neighbours! When will be your TOP? It's building fast, should be by latest end of the next year?
Yup very ex bak chor mee. :p It's extra income for HDB, so guess they are loaded now, becos alot of ppl would park there for food.

Anyway, do you have the holiday tours quote? its quote online or thru person. If it's really buy 4 give 7nites, its a fanantastic deal at USD608 per nite. I doubt so loh.
Eh, anyway tell ur hubby, dun have to keep leave one la. Next time have kids hor, you'll both have another 6 days each. Plentiful
happy.gif

I know ur feeling, when talking about Maldives, my productivity drops. Haaa.
happy.gif

Pat> The wildflowers are lovely.... Probably Kings park should be in a blossom as well isn't it?
happy.gif

mooncloud

Wu> Plan for perth.. not yet leh.. now planning for japan with my galfrens. Having a nightmare coordinating everything to book flights. Been at it the whole day... tat's y never come in to make noise. Ha...

But i can try to recall a few things i did when i went i suppose. A lot quite typical... My dad planned that trip actually. Ha.. he drove from perth down to albany.. i think down to margaret river for the tree top walk. And there was a stop along the way where there is a chocolate factory. Nice chocs but very expensive. The rest are all touristy stuff. Went to the pinnacles to ride the sand dunes, then to fremantle on day trips.

I missed the food there though. Even if sick of western food, they got fantastic jap and chinese cuisine. My mum's colleague migrated there. So they brought us to those places. Too bad i was not into travelling tat time (still in uni no money). Didn't jot down those eating places. sigh... all i can remember is that they are in chinatown i think.

And yah.. we are going to be neighbours who instigate each other to go travelling. Ha.. My TOP ah.. i think estimated delivery date by right dec 2013. But i predicting mid to end 2012. Unlikely to be end 2011. They building 31 storeys leh. Now only at 4. Never mind lah. slowly. Then i can slowly save for reno.

Didn't get the quote for holiday tours. I just anyhow click online. I saw under the list there was this offer for angsana inocean that wrote stay 7 pay 4. But when i clicked the link, dun understand how their quote works. Didn't bother to email them. Coz if its true, i think i will feel the urge to fly there even more. So better not clarify the deal. ha... Coz productivity of work already dropping man. Very bad.

My hubby is very stingy with his leave one. Dunno y he like to store leave. Gave up convincing him. I am like permanently strategising to utilise his leave. For me i'm self employed. So no issues with leave. But no pay lah.. So sometimes not very good too.

Pat> i also hope my hubby willing to stay there for 10 days. But well... if ask him to go this yr 10 days, sure no. Coz we just came back frm 16 days in alaska. Next yr still can try. I pyscho him frm last yr to this yr then he willing to go 16 days loh. Sigh.. think i must start brainwashing him frm now till may for maldives. Ha..

And the wildflowers are gorgeous. Think the colours will look wonderful in ur photos. I happen to haf a fren's fren in facebook who had the same photographer. ha.. Kaypoh and saw her photos. Very nice! Think you will haf wonderful photos...

ryo

Hey Christie,

I visited Holiday tours site. Seems like either they have a fantastic deal or typo error. If it's really stay 7 pay 4 nites, Mai Tu liao. Pretty good value. A rough calculation, if you use your Kris flyer points instead, you'll be paying like only S$5500 for 7 nites.(1 nites at Male la). Works out to be about USD600 per nite in Angsana Velavaru... about there la, similar as Agoda maybe.However, USD600 is a steal though, at these shoulder period.
kekkee.... However, I suspect next year might have the similar deals lah, but not sure about Low season period deal though.

Senja Green, there's a couple of blocks nearly 8 storeys liao loh. I see it everyday whenever I drove off to work. It took about 2weeks for 1 storey to be build. So guess that it'll be pretty soon. HA.. will keep u updated on the progress. Ha. :p

mooncloud

Harlow! Sorry sorry.. was busy today. Trying to arrange flights. Sigh. Anyway, the deal looks so good it seems fake hor. I also dunno leh. If really like that i also feel like just kidnapping my lao gong there. But cannot lah. That period is my working peak period by right. Not supposed to be feel till early nov. So very difficult. Think it really has to be next yr since nov is starting to be peak.

The near 8 storeys one not my block leh. Mine only 4 storeys. Sad... Haha.. thanks for the update! I do pass by there at times. Parents and in laws place ard the west. Keeping neutral abt the flat. Fast also good.. but slow also not an issue. Ha.. Can spend the money in maldives first then worry abt reno. :p

ryo

HAaa. why not give them a call. anw... since ur hubby wanna to keep the leave, next year u folks can have a longer trip then.

I see... I saw one build up to 4 storey, guess that'll be your home soon. It just right beside my block. Haaa..

Ok.. keep in touch here n in FB! Cheers!
happy.gif

summerreef

hi all,

I need some advice here. planning for maldives trip this coming dec.
happy.gif

however, I am not able to decide whether to go for Club Med (all inclusive with meals and most activities) but will be staying at superior room OR stay in a ocean villa (looking at Adaaran Prestige Ocean Villa) but with no meals provided?

Can anyone advice how is the expenditure in maldives? thanks thanks!
happy.gif

patndrew

Hello Summer,
Firstly define what u like..... Comfy rooms with or outdoor sports? And what's ur budget? What is the cost of the resort that u mentioned?
And for my understanding meals all inclusive should be international buffet, do u like having buffet everyday?

summerreef

hi patndrew,

nice to get a reply from you! the resort that i am looking at is about $3.7k for 4N as opposed to about 4K (2nd adult stay for free promo) at club med.

not a fan of buffet... cos old already la..cannot eat much.. wahahahaa...

so it's like having to save $300 but a better accomodation but w/o meals included.
happy.gif

we are looking at more of a relaxing and stressful holiday!
happy.gif

patndrew

Summer,
Are you quoting in USD? Adaaran Prestige Ocean Villa is 925 per night? Thats quite costly....
usually a meal for 2 consist of, a main and a drink each will cost USD$100-120
so you can do the math
You can do some reading from www.tripadvisor.com
to make comparision of the resorts and read on other resorts too.
Do take not of additional cost like transport to the resort, is the price quoted inclusive? is it a seaplane or speed boat transfer?

As for Club med, it would be good, if you like sports, outdoor, having fun mixing with people and do group games etc. else you would not maximise the amount you spend.

if you read my review, i been to Conrad, i gave a detail description of what the resort offers.

and do you really mean STRESSFUL??

Mr Wu must be busy else, he could have more ideas

summerreef

Hi patnDrew,

No leh.. i am quoting in SGD leh.. from www.mal-dives.com, it quotes me $1.4k for 3 nights... and it includes speedboat transfer.... hmm.. don't tell me that website not accurate.. uh-oh.....

1499889.jpg

hahahaha.. i mean stress-FREE!! :p typo.. pai seh ah..

conrad should be way over our budget? in fact we are planning on spending < $5.5k for a 5 days trip.. possible?
happy.gif

mooncloud

i think wu is busy as well... ha.. i have been monitoring the thread but cannot give help coz i have not been there yet! Hmm.. paging for wu... help needed...

sha_hir

hello everyone,

am planning to get hitch next year with my gf and thinking of maldive as a getaway. mind if i join this discussion?
happy.gif

patndrew

Summer> didn't see ur message, so airfare and stay about $4k? If that's the case it should be enough.

Shahir> of cos u can join in!! Welcome!

veracity

We are leaving for the Maldives this coming Fri &amp; are not packed yet... argh!

Anw, need experienced fellow forummers' advice regarding packing. We are taking SQ, what are the allowances for baggage (hand &amp; check-in)?

Also, given that we will be taking speedboat (to our overnight hotel) and seaplane (to our 'real' hotel) - what are the stipulations/recommendations for baggage? e.g. size and weight. Not sure if my large hardcase luggage is suitable.

If u have any other advice on what's a must or must-not pack (e.g. ricecooker?! I heard it mentioned b4), pls do share!

Also, for a ~4D4N stay, what would be an approximate amt of USD to brg along? Main expenses would be on meals (we currently have B &amp; B only), spa, &amp; maybe snorkelling.

Thanks!

patndrew

Hi Veracity,
bring along some USD for small meals at the airport or Male, as for the Holiday Inn and the resort, the accept credit card, however you can always pay in Cash, meal allowance about 200 per day?
As for SQ, check-in luggage its 20kg per pax, hand carry 7kg, and for transportation during the transfer, you need not worry much, the staff can handle all baggage sizes.

However, since you are on a short trip, dont think you need cooker, enjoy yourself to the max!

mish

Veracity,

Just remember not to bring any alcohol or pork in since it is a muslim country.

You can bring some chips or snacks. SQ should be the usual 7kg for handcarry and 20ish kg for check in.

USD dont need to bring so much since you are probably going to charge to your credit card at the hotel. Maybe you can bring 300usd if you are going to the town so that you can buy some stuff. Other than thzt, I guess you will be charging all to credit card.

Have fun! Can't wait to go back one day...

veracity

Hi patndrew &amp; Mish

Tx so much for the advice. I'm not v familiar with this... but if we charge to credit card mostly, is tt in our favour? Coz I dunno what's the exchange rate the credit card companies use... basically my qn would be, is it more 'hua2'/worth it to pay things by cash USD where possible?

Hear from u soonest as we'll be getting the USD today. Tx!!!

patndrew

Veracity> current USD is 1.37, credit card will probaly charge about 1.4 to 1.42, usually about 0.05 difference.

I enjoying earining credit card points, to redeem for Krisflyer points, so usually i use card.

Sometimes exchange rate over the counter are high too, so it will depends if you can get very good rates over the counter.

veracity

Hi all

I'm back from paradise! :)

Just wanted to make a quick post while everything is still fresh. Generally everything went well. I shall just summarise main points from my trip:

OVERNIGHT HOTEL - Holiday Inn Male, 1 night
MAIN RESORT - Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort &amp; Spa (King Water Villa), 3 nights
AIRLINE - SQ

1. Despite corresponding with Hilton months before my request for a noontime seaplane transfer the next day (so as to get more rest in Male and arrive just in time to check in @ Hilton at 2pm), I was disappointed upon my arrival at Male Airport @ 10pm to find out tt they had arranged me on the FIRST seaplane flight at 6.30am.

Reason seems they follow the FIFO (1st in, 1st out) principle, and try to transfer those who have arrived earlier 1st. Coz it seems tt more tourists arrive in the morn, and they would take up the afternoon flights.

My hubby and I considered, and decided to go along with it... but we were unhappy tt it meant we got only abt 4 hrs sleep the 1st night. I was also concerned that the ocean would not have been much lit up by sun in the morn... and our seaplane ride would not be so scenic. :-(((

But I suppose it turned out for gd. I shall explain later...

2. HOLIDAY INN MALE - Lovely rm, excellent shower with rainshower facilities. Only regret staying here is tt we were here just less than 6 hrs, and we did pay 3-digits for this plc. Didn't even get to enjoy breakfast, which was part of the package! Can you see why we were upset by the seaplane arrangement... But saw tt it eventually worked out, will explain ltr.

We were given ONE box of packaged breakfast the next day, with 2 bottled juices. I must say it was to my horror that the package was just 3 MINI pastries - for TWO pax! Honestly tt was q shocking. Pls understand I'm not trying to be picky, or expect a packaged buffet. But it was really pathetic, I think anyone would've reacted the same.

Those were the downsides. Othwise, I did enjoy the nice room.

3. Hilton - Lovely. Friendly service all around, food was of course expensive but not all tt bad if you consider tt it's fine dining. Food was ok though the buffet breakfast was uninspired from the 2nd day.

I loved their rooms too: his and hers basins, rain showers, etc. Perfect for a couple!

THE GOOD THING as I said abt the early seaplane ride - actually it was not dark anymore when we departed, and not overly sunny either. Perfect. We were checked in quickly upon arrival and I believe we were in our rm by 10am - 4 hrs ahead of usual check-in time of 2pm. We settled our stuff down, took time to plan activities and made pre-bookings (q essential), and then literally slept it off till nearly 6pm then had early dinner. My hubby was right - yes we sacrificed our time at Holiday Inn, enjoying their hotel, breakfast or resting, but ultimately, we came for the Hilton not Holiday Inn. The fact tt we could check-in earlier at Hilton, settle down and had a gd rest there was really a win-win situation. Hence, maybe the best of both worlds is, stay in a cheap but tahanable Male hotel overnight, grab the earliest seaplane ride, and fingers crossed u can check into your resort early!

4. Activities we signed on were Snorkelling Safari and Sunset Fishing. Both were gd!

5. 1 1.5l of bottled water a day didn't bother us eventually, since we got bottles too on our excursions, somehow we got by!

6. It did rain and poured at times, but we got through with wise scheduling and a lot of God's grace ;-) By the time we left, we had pretty much done the key things we wanted to do.

7. Snorkelling gear is rented out FOC, as are non-motorised sports stuff e.g. canoes and windsurfing stuff (only if u noe how to do it). No worries, the snorkelling gear is in rather pristine condition, doesn't look tatty and all-bitten.

8. 3 nights I feel is q enough. But do plan wisely and all.

9. Spa was gd too. Lovely garden setting.

10. V starry sky - so beautiful!!! Lie on the deck chair on your water villa and admire - I fell asleep twice!

11. They did accommodate my prior request for the latest seaplane departure @ 4.15pm, though not for extended checkout - while I was disappointed by this again, yet we also managed to work around it and killed the time easily enough.

12. We were surprised by the offer of a short Male tour when we arrived at the airport for our departure. Since you will have lots of time to kill before the 11pm SQ flight, do go. It may not be much but still interesting - since ur there! Pls be wary of being 'swindled' by souvenir shops though, I think I kinda was and it was upsetting, but anyway, pls be warned. However I got a lot of handpainted stuff which is v nice, so nm.

13. Seaplane ride is really v specatacular and worthwhile experience, I'd recommend it if u dun mind paying for it ;) I think abt USD400 per pax. It is a 45-min ride to Hilton (Noonu Atoll) each way - nice and long!

14. I was much 'assured' in terms of snorkelling - hardly saw any jellyfish. Coz I had a jellyfish sting b4 in Msia island, which was really a bad experience.

Heh heh, tt's abt it. A v fast recap. I really enjoyed myself, and it's just such, such a lovely place. Fr my research, Hilton's price, while not cheap, is possibly one of the lowest (?) for a water villa. Check it up urselves though.

Hey PatnDrew, I didn't see any guidebook at the airport which you asked me to buy... so sorry abt it ;-|

Thanks to the 'veterans' who helped with so mch info earlier too! I'm a 'convert' now as well!!! :-DDD

coolxz

hi veracity

thanks a lot. that is really detail and it sounds like you had a wonderful time.

may i ask where did you get your package and how much? me and my htb is planning similar trip to maldives.

veracity

Hi coolxz

I booked all my stuff ala-carte. Tix from SQ online, Holiday Inn Male from Holiday Inn website, Hilton rooms via www.agoda.com - q a no of such hotel booking services online, surf around for best rates. Agoda also arranged for us to purchase seaplane tix.

Just realised from a Maldives map tt Hilton was pretty much the northernmost resort - so my 45-min seaplane ride to and fro was really maxxed out, and worth it. Yippee! Heh.

sinplyme

hi all,

i'm planning for my HM and is shortlisting Maldives as one of my destination.
I am new to this thread... i wonder usually how long would a couple stay and the cost associated with it?

any recommendations on the hotels/resorts/villa?

TIA!
happy.gif

sinplyme

btw, i read from the visitmaldives.com it says dry season (northeast monsoon) extending from January to March and wet season (southwest monsoon) from mid-May to November.

I'm planning to go end Dec. recommended?
happy.gif

veracity

sinplyme:

From what I noe end of year is best coz rarely rains. But it's super-peak season. Duno if htls wil charge more.

I jz returned fr Maldives last week. Pls scroll and read my lengthy post above. Maldives is ex everywhere. U can do ur own research on prices. Try Agoda.com.

If gg to Hilton like me, it may help budget if u stay in beach villa. Or do a mix of both - e.g. beach villa 2N and water villa (I feel it;s a must try)2N.

However, if u want a longer honeymoon w/o feeling the 'pressure' of everythg being so ex, go somewhere else. I myself HM-ed in New Zealand, both North &amp; South Islands at the end of last year. It's summer so it's nice n cool. Was a fantastic long honeymoon.

FYC (for your csideration)!

sinplyme

hi veracity,

thanks for responding!
yeah, i did read ur post.
am glad to know that end of the year is a good time to go.
however, i'm not sure how to go about shortlisting the hotels/villas and such.
I tried to do a google map and went to http://www.mal-dives.com to take a look but there are so many different resorts around... how to choose?

did i read somewhere that the further away from Male the better?
happy.gif

mish

sinplyme..

There are loads of resorts. You just have to go to the resorts webby and see if you like the design. How old it is and so on. Some of us here can tell you how the resorts that we previously stayed in are like.

It also boils down to your budget. I wanted to stay in the Hilton last time. (now called conrad) However, it was beyond my budget coz we wanted to stay in a water villa and my hub doesn't like to shift around rooms so no half water villa and half beach villa.

So we stayed in Anantara water villa. Which was about the same price as conrad's beach villa.

So it really depends on your budget.

mish

Sinplyme,

yeah. Water villa is kinda ex. especially when you going during the peak season.

You can shortlist the hotels and write in to them to check if they have any special promotions. Sometimes they have. Eg: stay 3nights pay for 2... etc.

Have you shortlist any?

sinplyme

mish >
i'm fine as long as it's water villa... so I'm just looking around and KIV the cheaper ones.

Usually, it's just free one bottle of champagne. for those 'free nights' promotion ain't within my travel timeframe and requires stays longer than 7days.
sad.gif

mooncloud

just for sharing sake... anyone interested in maldives.. think there is promo gg on for SQ... slight cheaper at abt 1.7k for 2 to go... selected dates...