Maldives

veracity

Hi Wu

I'm back again (if you remember me)!

In the end I went to NZ last Nov for my honeymoon but it was GREAT.

Anyway, my hubby & I still want to go to the Maldives. We are thinking of either the June or Sep sch holiday period. Any recommendations as to when?

Also, I recall u don't buy any packages fr NATAS. Any tips for what websites for tix, hotel rms etc I could perhaps start monitoring from now, while it's still early b4 we go?

Tx!

mish

Hey Veracity,

I have been to maldives in october. Weather wise - out of 8 days rained REALLY heavy for almost 2 whole days. Other than that - it is ok.

Maldives is really lovely. Are you going there for holiday or honeymoon? Great for either.

Prices for that period is cheaper than jan as in it like their semi monsoon. They are generally hot.

alice118

Hi ken's wife.. Last year me went on mid of nov.. every day is raining!!! better choose end of nov.. or oct.. but nowdays weather hard predict.. so.. based on ur luck..

veracity

Hi all

I plan to visit the Maldives during the Sep hols with my husband. Have been surfing Asiatravel.com and mal-dives.com as recommended earlier. Must say tt there are so many options to consider etc, it is q overwhelming!

Hence, I wish to get tips from those who have done research and/or have gone before. Would you all pls advise me on these areas?

1. Flights - Those tt r cheaper than SQ inevitably take longer... e.g. MAS and Sri Lankan airways. Any comments/recommendations?

2. Hotels - We want a water villa style accommodation for sure! But which one would be unforgettable yet manageable on the wallet?

3. Where to Buy? - How does buying ala-carte (air tix, then booking direct from hotels) fare up against signing with NATAS packages?

4. Length of Stay - Seems tt due to the flight arrival times in Male, we have to waste 1 night for sure is it? In any case, what would be the recommended duration of stay?

5. Activities - Other than enjoying the company of each other... I don't think there are much other activities other than sea sports?

That's abt it for now. Really need advice on the 1st 3 qns in particular. Hope to hear from some of you, this forum seems to have quietened down a bit lately.

veracity

Hi all

I plan to visit the Maldives during the Sep hols with my husband. Have been surfing Asiatravel.com and mal-dives.com as recommended earlier. Must say tt there are so many options to consider etc, it is q overwhelming!

Hence, I wish to get tips from those who have done research and/or have gone before. Would you all pls advise me on these areas?

1. Flights - Those tt r cheaper than SQ inevitably take longer... e.g. MAS and Sri Lankan airways. Any comments/recommendations?

2. Hotels - We want a water villa style accommodation for sure! But which one would be unforgettable yet manageable on the wallet?

3. Where to Buy? - How does buying ala-carte (air tix, then booking direct from hotels) fare up against signing with NATAS packages?

4. Length of Stay - Seems tt due to the flight arrival times in Male, we have to waste 1 night for sure is it? In any case, what would be the recommended duration of stay?

5. Activities - Other than enjoying the company of each other... I don't think there are much other activities other than sea sports?

That's abt it for now. Really need advice on the 1st 3 qns in particular. Hope to hear from some of you, this forum seems to have quietened down a bit lately.

veracity

Hi all

patndrew

Hi Veracity,

I just got back from Maldives stayed at Conrad rangali island awesome place! thinking of going again!

1) for SQ flights, they fly direct, but odd timings. However i think thats the best way, unless you like to do transit or thinking of travel to Sri Lanka for holiday.
Once you touched down at male, the hotel staff will greet you and bring you to your hotel by speedboat. For me, as Conrad needs to be reached by seaplane, we stayed a night at holiday Inn male. and next morning fly to Conrad resort thats additional USD420 per pax for the air transfer.
But if you choose a hotel that does speed boat transfer, usually there's no additional. however those resort are nearer to male and you dont get to see the amazing view from the plane.
2) Sept is off peak season, may expect some rain, but weather in maldives is unpredictable.
passing rain happens everyday, but you will still get sunshine.
hotels prices for water villa are expensive, for my resrarch, i think Hilton is cheap USD 256+, but again, Hilton you need to fly by seaplane. I paid USD 550 for Conrad, and we stayed 5 nights, which i regretted, and thought should have stayed another 2 nights! it is not one of the best water villa, simple and basic, but the resort is the best for this price. google and read more on www.tripadvisor.com lots of pictures to see too! I met an english couple, they been to the same resort for 8 times!
3) Packages (which i didnt take) are those usual resort that most singaporean will go to. I dont think they are cheaper, if they offer 1 extra night, thats because the 1st night you will reach the resort at 11pm.
4) Ya the SQ flight waste a night! if you like a relaxing holiday, go as long as your pocket allows you. My hubby has the best time sleeping there! and i dont have dark eye ring for the entire week! its amazing doing nothing! and with the food and drinks and extra helpful hotel staffs, no stress at all!
5) there's some trips like, island tour, snorkeling trip, diving, dolphin spotting cruise, fishing (easy catch we caught 5 fishes, and were treated like royals on the boat, you can dont get your hands dirty for the entire 2 hrs fishing trip) quite a bit to do each day actually.
For Conrad, there's some party theme one some day of the week at the bar. and 7 different restaurant that you wont go bored, but some are expensive. but for small eaters, we dont go for buffet. so usual meal cost USD 120 with 2 beers!
and they have some special hours with free drink and some free tea and snacks.

I have so much to share regards to this trip!
feel free to post questions ya.
actually i am thinking of going again on Sept too!

veracity

Hi

Has anyone been to Hilton b4? From my v brief research, it seems q affordable like Patricia said above. I am aiming for water villa + seaplane ride.

How long does the seaplane ride take?

mish

Hi veracity,

I hope I am not too late to help. If you still need the help. Just leave a msg. Will try to reply as much as possible.

The other maldivians mostly bz with bb already. hehe.

mish

Oh Veracity has shifted to this thread.

Veracity. Hilton? Got ppl here go before. But i think he retire from this thread already. Hilton beach villa is relatively large as well. Wu took the sunset villa. The most premium one. Saw his pix. super nice!!

There are many nice new ones. I miss maldives. Wish that I can go back there.

veracity

Hi Mish

Thanks for replying!

I posted on both threads as both seemed equally active (or inactive).

I appreciate your reply! Anyway hubby and I stayed up late over the weekend and booked our SQ rtn tix, overnight @ Male and 3 nites @ Hilton for Sep liao. After comparing prices, it does seem tt by doing ala carte we save some tens of S$... about S$20 or S$30, compared to gg through an agent. Of course, I must say there's a fair bit of work involved so, up to you all.

Quick recommendation: <www.agoda.com> gave us lowest rates for hotels as far as my research went.

Also found that for SQ tix, best to buy direct from SIA, tix via Asiatravel or Zuji etc were not cheaper in this instance of my experience.

Of course, who knows we could have continued monitoring the rates all over and still got sth cheaper when the USD rate fluctuates, but really who has all the time... I feel so much more at peace now tt it's all settled &amp; I can say I have a holiday to look fwd to!

Hilton is the cheapest so far and got lots of gd reviews on Trip Advisor, so I truly hope it is not a choice we'll regret coz I've also heard bad things about it. But seems to me all the other resorts r so very ex, I dunno how all of u went!!! Heh. Well we just want to experience the Maldives - seaplane ride and water villa especially - so dun nd to splash out otherwise.

Anyone who has been to Hilton, any tips or what to be prepped for (bring own flask? stash of food???), which water villa's best, pls share!

Thanks and I'm counting down to Sep... finally!

mish

OOOO... I believe you will enjoy yourselves. Maldives is beautiful. Especially if you like the sea. I went in Oct. Kind of their off peak season. Stayed for 7 days and 2 days rained. Other than the 2 days, it is sunshine everyday. Beautiful.

I have seen Manta Rays. Snorkelled with them. The experience is just great. We did Ala Carte as well. It was much cheaper. They gave us a deal. That is Anantara water villa.

Flask - i am sure they should have one. I even have my own coffee machine to brew coffee when i was at Anantara. I have checked Hilton's webby and they have coffee maker for you. I think they better do for all the money you spend on them!

Do remember that the first night will be at male or male airport nearby hotel. Rem to book that as well as the seaplane does not fly at night.

When I went to maldives, I brought some food along. snacks and all that. You can consider bring some crackers. 3nights is not that long so I guess one or 2 packs will do.

Oh. just email Hilton maldives to ask for their activities and rates. they will email you the list and you can start planning. The cost of the activities can be quite high. i heard that there is a small reef near hilton so you can snorkel there. Just email them to ask them if they have an reef that is near the hotel for you to snorkel at.

Have fun!!

patndrew

Veracity,

Tell us more about Hilton ya.
which accommodation type did you choose.

all rooms should be well equip
I brought along some 2 packs snack and 3 cup noodles....

ryo

Yo yo..... folks.... all planning for Maldives trip ah... Bo jio!!

Mish Mish...going again ah? kekeke..... one of my friend going to Maldives this coming thurs, while we're stuck here with baby... Hahaha... envy.

The hilton u guys talk about is not the resort that I'd went before. The one I went is now name Conrad(use to call Hilton). The current Hilton is Irufushi. Yes the review is pretty bad... heard safe was broken into. But give Hilton sometime.. I think they will be able to make it as good as Conrad.

Hi PaTnDrew,

Conrad is amazing isn't it?... A couple of us here in the thread has been there between 2005-2006... really missed the place. But the rate has been shooting off the roof after it has been renamed. Else I might wanna to go back too.

Cheers!

patndrew

Wu,

Yeah! Conrad Rangali Island is a paradise!
my hubby wanna go again, maybe plan next year, we got some balance Hilton points to redeem.

Oh Veracity,

Remember to bring along some nice 'beachy' dress.... each night most people especially the ang mo, they will dress up for dinner, even for some simple dinner or drinks at the bar.

and do check if they have some special happy hours, eg, 50% off all drinks or free snack and tea break.....

veracity

Yes I'm going to Iru Fushi, water villa.

Anyone knows the usual seaplane timings in the morning? I'm arriving 10pm in Male, staying @ Hulhule Hotel overnight. Does anyone know:

(i) if Hulhule Hotel provides free shuttle from airport to their premises
(ii) if Hulhule Hotel provides free shuttle from their premises to the seaplane dock (or whatever you call that)?

renerene

Veracity, my hubby and I just went to Maldives in early June, Kuramathi Resort. We stayed overnight in Hulhule Hotel too upon arrival. For us,
(i) The hotel arranged someone to pick us up at the airport and transported us to their premises on a mini bus.
(ii) The next morning, the hotel will arrange free shuttle to the trans-Maldivian airport for the seaplane ride to the resort.

Hope it helps.

veracity

Thanks Irene! Was (i) FOC? And how did they arrange the pick-up with you?

Coz I booked via Agoda.com, I dunno if I still nd to write to HH (Hulhule Htl) separately.

mish

oopps! Different hilton hotel now ar Wu?? You are always updated with these things! You can always bring bb along! I thought you quit the thread already. haha.

I am not going maldives. Just come in and re-live the maldives moment. haha.

ryo

Hi Veracity,

Once you book from a agent, please also check with Hilton direct on your confirm booking. Normally agent will let u know about how the meetup service will be. But at times, there'll be hiccups... so best is to confirm with Hilton.

Even if u see no one with there at the airport.. dun worry. Walk straight to the counter, look for Hilton Irufushi. Those ppl at the counter should be able to help u arrange for all transfer, and they will let u know the seaplane timing for the next day. Hilton might not have their own counter so u have to find, as some counters are shared between resorts.

Hulhulhe hotel is just beside the airport, walking distance if I'm correct.... those ppl at the counter can help u with the transfer.

Now you can start writing to Hilton to request for a specific seaplane timing. It's just a request as the actual timing can only be given to you on the day u arrived. If you wanna to reach resort as early as possible, request for the 1st seaplane flight, SHould be around 7am. Meaning you need to get up as early as 5am.
If you wanna to see the best view of the atoll, request for noon flight as the Sun will brighten up the Atoll.... magnificent view.

Summarized transfer routine:-
1)reach airport, find hilton counter... transfer to overnite hotel. Hilton shld have ppl to meet up with u(remember to get hold of the guys phone no...)
2)next morning(most likely meet up with the same guy. If not ask recept to call him) transfer back to the counter, waiting for minibus to seaplane lounge, which is on the other side of the island across the runway.

happy.gif

ryo

Yo Mish,

Hahaha... long time they change name liao loh. I think in 2007. Now is Conrad Maldives. Aiya... they use this raise the rates mah... but somehow maybe backfire... now rates comes down a little liao.

Ya... think of bring Shaun there, but need to prepare alot of thing leh. Perhaps next year when he started to walk.

Anw now the SQ ticket super ex. I use to pay only $550 nett and now it cost 1.1 ~ 1.3k per pax. Siao.

This year.. we'll be going to Sentosa Siloso beach resort.... Hahaha. Much more convenient. Can go back home if forgot to bring something. :p

patndrew

Veracity,

No worries about the arrival pick up, it should be smooth.

My 1st night was at Holiday inn, however on my arrival, both Holiday Inn and Conrad came to welcome me.... someone would hold a name tag, waiting for you at the arrival gate....
(we didn't go around looking for their counter)
It seems like the staffs who incharge of all the pick up know each other....
nearer to your departure date, maybe about 3 weeks, they will send you the details.

ryo

Hey Silvia,

When when?? I would like to go again as well leh in the near future... but really busy with our kids and work. Maybe this time round I might wanna to go self drive Australia again or NZ then fly to Bora Bora(see see look look and compare with Maldives).
Hahaha... So u bring ur kiddos? When going?? any resort in mind yet? It's been awhile and many new resort is coming out, and alot of buy over and rebranding.

Eh... Shangrila Maldives got promo, 1st year anniversary. Not sure ended or not. Rates starting from USD480++ per nite. Reasonable for the quality though.

One of the forum mate above(Veracity) gave us a very good link to good rates. Check out the link on a new agent.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/maldives/maldives/shangri_la_s_villingili_resort_spa.html

dreamer17

hi

if we book rooms from Agoda for example: Robinson Club maldives, it include seaplane and boat transfer, may i know the boat transfer is it to and from Male when we check-in to Relax Inn for the 1st night?

then on the 2nd day, what time does the seaplane depart? and wat time must we be at the seaplane terminal?

veracity

Hey folks

At Male, I booked to stay @ Hulhule Island Hotel 1 night. But my frd has just cautioned me, saying it's a horrible plc. She said Im much better off cancelling &amp; gg Holiday Inn. Is this true? How bad is Hulhule?

And it's only now I realised how expensive Hulhule is :-( I gez I booked in a great hurry via Agoda coz there were hardly any rms left (supposedly).

Is Holiday Inn gd? The pricing is actY lower than Hulhule :-( I am seriously contemplating cancelling and re-booking. What about Handy Hotel, Relax Inn etc? Appreciate if someone can advise. Should I be concerned abt proximity to the airport, since Im arriving at night... I mean if cab fares are sky high then I will end up spending more oso even if the hotel costs less.

patndrew

Veracity,
I tried holiday inn, it's a new hotel and good service. Once u touch down in male, the staff will wait for u at the gate, do check inn, ferry u to the hotel, next morning, ferry u back to the airport and assist u for the seaplane flight. Everything is well taken care of. I will send u a like where u can book holiday inn at a cheaper rate.

For my last visit, after check out, I had actually left my wedding ring in the room. Not knowing it till the hotel staff send it to me at the Conrad lounge at the seaplane terminal. That was about 1 hr after check out. Luck me!

veracity

Thanks PaTnDrew for this prompt response!

Yes, pls send me the link asap.

The transfers to and from airport, is tt FOC? And roughly how long a ride is it fr the airport?

patndrew

yes its FOC, about 5-10 mins, speed boat transfer, than a short car ride to hotel in male
No worries, everything will be well taken care of.
I was having the same kind of concern as yours before my trip too!

ryo

Hi dreamer17,

Robinson club is a pretty new resort... if i can remember correctly, u need to take an internal transfer flight(not seaplane) to another domestic airport then transfer by speedboat. That is the boat transfer they are referring to. Nite tranfer by domestic flight is subjected to availability(unlike seaplane, it only fly in the morning).
thus most likely you'll need to find a overnite hotel when u first arrive in Maldives.
If relax inn is what you have opt for, dun worry, boat transfer is available at USD1 per pax per trip.

As for the seaplane schedule, you'll only know when u arrive the 1st nite. Check with the resort counter on the timing before u depart for relax inn. However, before your trip, you can request Robinson Club to book for your transfer flight and request for a specific transfer time if they have it... or choose from a list of timing.

Remember, whoever you booked from, do bring all the document i.e. booking email, communication email with you. As when the travel period gets busy, overbooking does happened. Alot of ppl gets stranded without a hotel. So your email is your best proved.

ryo

Hi Veracity,

Hulhulhe hotel is ex, in excess of USD250 but it's convenient. However, for that price, I would rather booked a nearby 3-4stars resort(by speedboat) to stay for 1 nite and do the transfer the next day.
If you don't mind the hassle of transferring to Male for your 1st nite, you can choose relax inn. No frills motel, decent enough. Probably not even 1star in alot of ppls mind but well it's consider cheap. it's only about 5 mins boat trip away and 2mins walk from Male jetty(turn left then turn right...HA). A couple of the forum mate has stay there b4.
If you have requested for a earliest seaplane flight, you'll only manage to have about 4-5hours rest so cheap hotel(about USD80++ per nite) does makes more sense.

I've stay there for my past 3 trips becos it's cheap and reasonable for it's price... anyway I just need a bed to sleep. If you want convenient, something new and comfortable, opt for hulhulhe or holiday inn.. but off course it'll be pricer due to it's proximity and better comfort.
Try not to wander during the nite in Male becos it's not safe.... robbing does happened and the recent bomb that goes off in Male.(not to scare you but this are facts)
Thus, must emphasis to the person who pick you up to bring you to the hotel and the same during the morning transfer

Just my 2 cents. The saving for overnite hotel, I used it for some nice meals.
happy.gif

Cheers!
happy.gif

veracity

Hi PaTnDrew (patndrew) &amp; Wu

PaTnDrew, to clarify: Tt means Holiday Inn will pick me up @ airport, then I take a boat, then a short car ride? And when I prep for seaplane the next day, I just take the same route in reverse. Coz Im arriving by SQ @ 10pm, wondering if stil go spdboat then, and safe onot.

Wu: If I go cheaper w Relax Inn, will they oso provide shuttle + spdboat tfrs FOC? Wa u make Male sound scary now really. Somemore we are arriving @ nite, is it wise to do all these spdboat etc tfrs onot...

I'm really on the brink of cancelling my Hulhule booking, so really thank you all for all your advice, hope I will choose 'correctly' dis time around ;-|

patndrew

Veracity,

You are right, everything will be arrange by them, do check the seaplane time with them, as there are several timings.

SQ has only one flight to Male at this inconvenient timing!

ryo

Hi Veracity...

You can go straight to relax inn website to book.
http://www.hotelrelaxinn.com/index.htm

Nope they dun provide transfer. Your resort should arrange someone to pick u up and bring u to relax inn by boat(dhoni). Do remind them again n again thru email. Double booking and crops up does happen, Always... if you've read tripadvisor.
The transfer between hulhulhe island and Male(pretty frequent interval ~ 5-10mins 1 boat trip), It's a mass transit system to fetch ppl to n fro Male island/Hulhulhe island. It's very simple and safe... like taking a bus. Boatman will help u to take luggage onto/out of the boat. The jetty is just on your left out of the departure hall. 2mins walk away. Pay the boatman USD1 per pax per trip. You can see Relax inn neon light when u are half way to Male. Go up Male Jetty, turn left and walk towards relax inn. it's only about 3mins walk.

Nowhere is safe in the world loh... and yes Maldives is the same... drugs and crime is creeping higher there, especially youngster taking drugs... It's a big issue there now.When involving drugs, tons of other crime follows.

Just don't walk around in the nite especially.

Most impt of all... do remember to ask the person to pick u up the next morning.. get their HP number.

Maldives is a wonderful place but there are things that are lacking. People are mostly kind and polite but you must bear with slow service and forgetful staff.

Our 1st trip there, Conrad person never came to pick us up. We found our way to Male and with the locals help got a accommodation for the nite.
Our second trip there, the person from Mirihi resort was late the next morning. We get the relax inn staff to call him.... well, he is still asleep.
The third trip was ok... we stay with W-hotel. The person is on time and no hassle in transferring to take the seaplane.

Thus,I'm letting you know what to do if those people crops up with your transfer.
happy.gif

Cheers! Have fun and just take extra precaution will do!!
happy.gif

renerene

Hi Veracity, we stayed in Hulhule Hotel during our recent trip to Maldives for honeymoon. We got a free upgrade to their superior room upon arrival. The room was big and clean. Overall, we find it a nice hotel, except for the limited food variety for its buffet breakfast. Nevertheless, thanks to experienced pple like Wu, if we ever visit Maldives again, we'll go for cheaper alternatives.
happy.gif

ryo

Yo Yo T&amp;P!!! Wahaha... suddenly all the old gang comes back to life in this forum. How come cancel ur account? hmmm...
Wah.... u going again... this will be ur 4th or 5th one hor..
happy.gif

I'm going to Sentosa and later part Malaysia Rawa island next mth... haaaa....next year then can consider Maldives. AFter having kids, suddenly we're becoming much poorer. kekeke.. :p
But what can a 1yr old do in Maldives? Hmmm....

Yup yup.. of cos I've "dealing" with them. Ha....IMHO, forget Beach house. Not much on Diva but Beach house gave me alot of trouble. Remember my W-hotel trip? I should have gone to Beach house. They cock up my booking... else I'll be staying at their largest water villa at a special rates. Puizz.... their manager also not very helpful too. Anyway, beach house has recently change management... hopefully they will improve on their service(use to have alot of complain about them in tripadvisor as well)

Constance Havaveli.... Good!!!This was in my list as well. hahah... pretty small island like W-resort at the North Ari Atoll, same as W. SEaplane flight needed. The water villa extend so far into the sea that the chain looks bigger then its island. Lots of positive comment from tripadvisor for this new renovated resort(good review before reno as well).

Diva wise not much read up. From pics, it looks like it had be recently upgrade/reno as well. Rooms look new. But hor a total of 196 rooms hor.. I always try to siam this so call Big resort.

Why not seek out Shangrila as well? recently they have a 1st anniversary promo. Check out their website as well.
Veracity found a good agent, Agoda.com. Found Shangrila at USD480++ dunno till when.... likely already increase as now Maldives is shoulder rates liao.

Eh... can check out island hideaway spa resort also...quite different concept. A really big island with villas far apart. Price is reasonable(used to be even cheaper) for such a big villas.

happy.gif
... so when u deciding to go huh??

ryo

Hi Irene,

Agree with you... breakfast is tricky in Male or hulhulhe. It ain't cheap as well, per pax is USD10+
I use to get like hotdog(uncle frank), some chicken curry and rice/bread and some drinks...

Thus, for the following trip, we skip all breakfast and ask for the earliest transfer plane. We reach the resort at about 830-9am and had breakfast there instead, a much more well spreed of choices.. and check in early without spending much time in Male/airport.

happy.gif
Just some tricks I learn.

ryo

Anyway Those public boat transfer to/fro Male and airport island(hulhulhe) is by Big n slow boat hor, something like those we see at the Singapore River. So Dun worry.
happy.gif
Those boat man very experience... you'll see when u see how they "park" those boats

trufflespearls2

actually i want to go koh samui. somewhere nearer. but then my schedule can only fit in a holiday somewhere in end Sep/early Oct which i think...is monsoon in samui.
we checked out langkawi, but the mr. doesn't like it.
logically speaking, shldn't b gg Maldives again..but there isn't much choices for us. We can't leave for more than 6 days unless we bring the kiddo with us.
Just went Bali in Dec, Mr. doesn't want to check out Philippine's beaches. so...........

We checked out Shangrila, USD400+'s for the beach villa right? not the water villa.
We wanted to check out the latest anatara but it will only open in Dec 10.

ryo

orh.. I see. If I'm your situation and times permit, and money isn't much problem, I would go Maldives as well.
Wahh.... your mr dun like others other than Maldives right? Off course lah.. whoever went maldives wouldn't want to settle for something less.

I'm abit like ur Mr.. but I'm worse. I dun even want to go Bali, no langkawi, no phillipines.. I got alot of reason, 1st I kiasi. Haaa... 2nd I always think add abit more can go Maldives liao. Haa..

The worse I can settle for is East side of Malaysia, those island group. i.e Redang, tioman etc... Have u try out the redang group of islands? pretty good... or perhaps the boutique resort in Tioman cal japamala?
http://www.japamalaresorts.com/Malaysia-boutique-resort-Tioman-Island.html

I'm going to Rawa island this coming sept with my SIL's company(bringing both our kiddos)... eh check out the info I'm provindg u. Surprisingly the water, and sand quality is pretty good, as good as Redang but probably close to Maldives.
>>>>http://www.rawasfr.com/index.php

Yaya... Shangrila at USD480... not water villa, but really decent beach villa at a good rates. Conrad Maldives also slashes their rates as well. I think they have been too aggressive with their prices last 2yrs.

Eh Mai Tu liao... USD going lower as S$ going up. We use to pay like 1.7x rates and now its like 1.36. Then again most resort price are pretty high now. SQ too... very bin tua, no more 2-to-go. Ai lai mai sua kind of attitude. It cost like 1.2k~1.3k for return ticket.

happy.gif

veracity

Wow, suddenly what a flood of messages.

Wu, just to clarify what you meant by "do remember to ask the person to pick u up the next morning"... do I need to liaise with the same person directly? Coz I emailed the hotel, and they told me they will arrange.

Also, Hilton told me that they accept SGD. In tt case, should I still chg to USD? And if I should, is now a gd time to change?

I have changed my hotel fr Hulhule to Holiday Inn. Saved about USD38 after the USD15 penalty from Agoda for cancellation. Hope this is the 'right' choice...

Since Hilton's chk-in timing is 1400 and the seaplane ride is some 45min, I'm planning to take early noon say 1230 seaplane ride, so I won't be wasting my time there w/o a room... may as well maximise enjoyment of the Holiday Inn infinity pool and have a slow breakfast. Any thoughts on this intended schedule?

I'm glad that u all like the Agoda hotel booking service. Ive been in email correspondence with them after my bookings, and must say they are typically prompt and helpful. :)

mooncloud

Hi, sorry to disturb.. I am also interested to go maldives though i am still debating between nov (hari raya holiday), feb (cny holiday) or may (off peak season).. Any suggestions?

Also, for those who booked thru internet agents such as agoda, do you all pay thru ur credit card? In that case, wouldn't that mean you are exchanging at a 'not-as-good' currency exchange given by the bank? Or are we able to pay in USD upon arrival at maldives (though it seems like a lot of USD to bring along)?

Veracity> do share your views of hilton after you are back? I was looking thru the rates from agoda too. And like wat u said, hilton seems not to burn my pocket that much. So if you have a lovely experience there, then i may take your lead and book there.

Wu> i was actually contemplating boracay philippines. Ha.. but same concerns as u. And after considering the price, i realise just a bit more may bring me to maldives... Still think maldives sound better (never been to maldives.. so its by gut feel that the place sounds nicer). Ha..

ryo

Hi Veracity..

Haha... some chat with the old friends here.
happy.gif
This thread always burst to live when someone is going Maldives.
happy.gif

Reminder to Hilton once is good enough. Hopefully someone will meet you at the Airport. Like I said, crop-up does happened if no one is there. Don't panic, just walk to Hilton Counter or ask anyone there(even different counter) They know each other.
The person who meet u up will most likely follow u through the entire process, ie. bring u to Holiday inn, then next day bring u to seaplane lounge and most likely the last day meet u again at the seaplane lounge to bid farewell to you. Do just get he/her's Handphone no just in case she never show up say during the 2nd morning(picking u up at holiday inn to seaplane lounge).
And also hor.. try your best to give he/her tips. Normally I'll give about USD10.
happy.gif

I dun change much cash for the trip to Maldives. All went through credit card transaction. Normally I'll just bring like USD200 for backup that's all. Do remember to take a few credit card or temporary up your credit min... just in case.
Even if they accept SGD, dun think their rates will be good... probably alot of conversion involve and normally hotel conversion is worse then money changer. just bring some SGD and USD with u... mainly charge to credit card.

my 1st trip i never book a over nite hotel. I though I can tahan the whole nite till next day for seaplane flight. however, at about 1230am... we feel like sleeping and want to give up and stay in a hotel... so we just approach someone at the counter to help us book a hotel. We were brought to a motel in the central of Male. ALthough a short distance, but take sometimes becos of traffic. Becos there's so many ppl and bikes and cars on the road at 1am!!! Faint. Holiday inn should be around central area.
Try not to take the taxi on your own... always follow the rep. Becos Taxi drivers there will always ask for USD and if there's any change, They'll give u in Rufiyaa...it's really confusing.

kekkee... it's your choice really. My second trip there, all I want to do is to get out of Male island ASAP. You might have a even better pool at Hilton u know.
happy.gif

Most of my check in is at 10am, after requesting for the earliest flight... rooms is plentiful as probably I always go Maldives in July(low season).
noon time seaplane travel will be an enjoyment!! when the sun is up and shining... the atolls, island, sand, coral and sea will be absolutely stunning!! dun forget to take photo and video!!
happy.gif
you'll not see that in the earliest seaplane flight.

I'd had never try out Agoda, but will definitely try it if I'm going. Thanks alot for finding such a website.
happy.gif

Likelyhood that Agoda is a Singapore based company right? I always booked direct or with MAldivian agent. They are slow with question, need several verification before getting things done but it still works after all. In Maldives, perhaps ppl like to take things slowly... so try to relax and forgive if any ppl are forgetful or slow.
happy.gif
cos time stands still in Maldives.
happy.gif

U're almost settle with your trip then, and hope the very best in your upcoming trips.
happy.gif
When is your travelling period?

veracity

Hey Wu

Thanks!

We're gg in Sep during the sch hols.

Yes we're pretty much set &amp; I'm looking fwd to it! Will check back here if other qns come up along the way. And Christie, yes I'll share my Hilton experience too. My friend was there for work and she gave me the reassurance that it's ok so, fingers crossed.