Maldives

ryo

Hi Pat,

I always want to go Melbourne, but only familiar with Perth and Sydney. Just like I'm only familiar with Maldives, so always go back the same place.
Nah... wait for the USD to go down even further, targeting S$1.19 vs 1USD, hopefully they dun raise their rates. :p

Hi Mintz,

Wah... lily beach only renovated quite recently, can consider one of the newest resort right? Looks great on picture. Quite an expensive resort after reno though.
They renovating Rangali again? WOW... sure got alot of money to spare. The last time I was there during their soft launch, they are also renovating the place..... not to bad but there's some bumpboat with raw materials by the seaside.

For nite flight, I'll will request the resort to put me on the very last seaplane flight back to Hulhulhe airport... and hopefully a late check out.. The lastest I ever got is a 4pm seaplane flight back from South Ari Atoll... reach airport by 5pm. So it's a wait from 5-8pm for checkin... and another 2hrs plus to flight.
Nothing much at Male the capital island, except for the usual fish market tour, and the president palace thingy.
I know it'll be abit boring while waiting for the checkin at 8pm+, so normally I'll just hang around the only decent aircon "restaurant" at airport, the Movenpick. Don't go to the one near the arriving hall.. the food is pretty bad. Not sure if there's any new restaurant or outlets around... (my last trip is 2009)

after checkin, the departure hall got more things(better than last time after renovation). Decent restaurant such as Dome cafe... and some souvenir shops.

Opsss... there's a so call submarine ride offer just near the arrival hall. Not sure what it is, maybe can go for it and kill some time?
happy.gif

Hope it helps.

mintz0309

great thanks wu! maybe i will drop the male city trip if I can secure a late seaplane transfer and there's a decent cafe to hang around at the airport. i read that it is very busy on the streets of male and big crowds give me headaches!

lily beach was relaunched in 2009. the price is slightly more expensive than the superior water villa i was considering at conrad, but lily beach is an all-inclusive resort so no need to worry about the final bill on the final day (other than spa treatments which hubby says he will cover. yay! =p).

conrad is doing up the interiors of their water villas so it will be more stunning than ever after the renovation. except that probably they will have a nicer price tag to match it too. haha..

ryo

Yaa, Male is always seems to be busy busy, where cars and motorbikes zoom here n there, even though the island is so small. Even after mid-nite, the same crowd is still there in the street. Quite interesting in fact.

Err... the Movenpick is decent enough la.. with aircon at least. it might not suit everyone's taste though.. it only serves icecreams and some munchy... but at least it's aircondition. Ha.

I see.. so conrad is renovating its Water-villa island only then.
The so call beach villa island is still pretty new though.. relaunch in 2005.
Have u check out the Spa water villa on the beach villa island also?
Anyway, rates always goes up one... never really comes down. My salary never got the chance to catch up with the inflation in Maldives. Ha.

Anyway, all inclusive no need to worry... good also...
happy.gif

From the photos hor... lily beach got wonderful house reef!! Do enjoy your swim there!
happy.gif

patndrew

Mintz,

I stayed in Conrad last April, they arranged a late flight to Male at about 6pm, just in time for the sunset. We reached airport at about 7, took a ferry to Male, shop around, bought some lousy souvenir, lots of touting around, quite irritating.... went to that so call fish market, nothing much.... trying to find a nice cafe or restaurant but NOTHING! (i stayed a night in Holiday Inn Male, had breakfast at the restaurant, not bad thou)then we went back to airport at about 8pm, had a quick meal, check-in, did some shopping at the airport....

If your resort send u back early, no harm going to Male for a walk, however, it is not a MUST do kind of trip.

Wu, ya the food court near to the arrival food sucks, we shared a plate of brayni and coke, cost 16USD!!

ryo

Hi Pat... ah.. . I see. So the lousy restaurant still there lah. They serve me a steak as hard as a stone... worse it's Chao Ta some more. I think USD10. siao.

HI to all... especially those who read this thread silently...
happy.gif
Those who are interested in affordable beach villa.

Just saw a lobang from www.mal-dives.com with free nites and free air transfer(internal flight, not seaplane), if stay 5 nites(2 will be free). REsort name is island hideaway(I monitor this resort quite awhile liao). Rates starts from USD1700 nett for the huge garden villa to USD3000 nett for the huge water suite...these quotes are nett and for 5 nites, bed/breakfast, transfer!!! however, booking needs to be done by 31st march.. tomorrow. Quick anyone?
Check it out!.
happy.gif

http://www.island-hideaway.com/welcome/

patndrew

wow 3000USD for 5 nights? inclusive of transfer?
so add SQ tickets, total about 5000 SGD?

must confirm today? can buy now use next year?
happy.gif

no schedule to go now leh

ryo

Above islandhideaway travel period is from 1stMay to 20July.

Other offer from www.mal-dives.com.

1May to 30sept,
Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, 5 nites(include 1 free nite), full board plus transfer... starting from USD3138 nett.

1May to 30sept,
Angsana Velavaru InOcean villa, 7 nites(2 free), BB, seaplane.. starting from USD5148 nett...

1st Apr ~ 31oct,
Huvanfenfushi, 4 nites(1 free), Half board, transfer, Lagoon bungalow with pool at USD3918

The list goes on n on n on...... tempting...

ryo

Hi Pat, include transfer as in their domestic flight. then if u got Kr**flyer miles it'll be USD3000 nett loh... all taxes inclusive. The thing I like about www.mal-dives.com is it's rates includes all taxes(service plus bed taxes).
Nope... kekeke. to use for this year only. u thot wat.. voucher ah... heee... kidding.:p

You see what they have for the water suites in Islandhideaway.. <<Quote from their webby>>

Hideaway Water Suites have their own exclusive ocean-view treatment room, sauna, steam room, outdoor round bathtub overlooking the tranquil lagoon, sundeck, lagoon access, and complete in-villa spa treatment facilities. <<UNquote. >>

I would also like to stay in their Jasmine garden villa also. Rates is USD3376 nett. Got a freaking big 9.5X4 metre swimming pool!!! The villa occupied a land area of 700SQM!!!

Absolute Madness...I think I'm going crazy.

Look at Banyan tree also... phew.... full board leh..... opssss... I'm drooling now.

ryo

Low season period free nites offer

W retreat &amp; Spa:- 4 nites(incl 1 free), BB, seaplane, Ocean Oasis with pool at USD4228 nett.

Taj Exotica: 7 nites(incl 2 free), BB, speedboat, Lagoon Villa at USD3472 nett...

mintz0309

thanks too pat. i will remember to stay clear of the arrival hall foodcourt. have asked my agent to put in the late transfer request for me and will also contact the resort directly closer to my stay. praying hard that they can arrange accordingly.

wow wow, so many good tempting offers! i am still feeling so lugi for not staying long enough to enjoy all these complimentary night promotions. nevermind.. there's always next time :)

ryo

Hi Mintz, PercianCat,

There's always a first time... then follow by trip after next..
happy.gif

KIV these resort for your future trip.
happy.gif

mummyauni

Wu : Wah so many good deals. I could have stayed longer in Maldives just by topping up a few hundred dollars only. If only I waited for a few more days before i made the booking.
sad.gif

Now can't make any changes but as u said in other posts..this is definitely a reason to come back to Maldives again...hehehhe

Christie : I managed to retrieve the thread that had ur review on Irufushi. I hope I will enjoy it just as much as U did
happy.gif
)

ryo

Hi PercianCat, mummyauni,

Regret about all this late info....
sad.gif
I'm probably being carry away by all the recent overwhelming interest/response and go dig out the deals..... it's Maldives fever again I guess.
But hey, just go ahead with all your current planning. Maldives is still Maldives.... you'll have the same sand quality and beautiful water.
Hilton Irufushi is a fabulous resort... no doubt.

Errrr..... mummyauni, still can change lah, depends on the cancellation clause from your agent.
happy.gif
Aiya... just go and have fun! Next year we all together settle and dig out any lobang earlier...
happy.gif

ryo

Joycelyn... I think it's only the water villas in the "water villa" island. They have went thru a bigger reno on the amenities on the water villa island liao.
happy.gif

Dun mistaken wor... Conrad is still very posh resort even when compare with many new resort, just that their Water villas(except the new Spa water villa) internal needs some refurbishment.... abit "outdated"(but I still find it extremely cosy)..... think Pat will agree.
happy.gif

joycelyn2011

Wu,

Icic... No worries... I still have till next year to plan... By then will have lots of questions and need your valuable advises and from all the proS here..
happy.gif

patndrew

Yeah, Conrad is really nice! It's a 5 star value for money. They cater to both family and couples. Since they have 2 islands, the water villa is exclusive to couples only, except for the restaurant, but u won't see kids running around. We can't forget the Morton Brown toiletries wanna buy in SIN it's so ex!! Maybe will get it for my new home. The room, the service all Great!! Every night thy do a turn down service, refill water, 2 mineral bottle, 2 refillable bottle, and at the deck they will keep the mat to prevent it from getting wet or stain. These are some little details that make u rem the resort and would just want to go back say HI to them again.

mintz0309

joycelyn > i also read somewhere that conrad will add a deck jacuzzi to all their spa water villas by this year. another option for you =) too bad i am going at the wrong time.

mooncloud

Wah... The thread is speeding.

Mummyauni> dun worry... U will definitely enjoy. The staff there may be a bit laid back at times. Just request again. I think they are in the 'maldives' mode.. Very relaxed. Ha...

Wu> so many deals?!?!? Too bad... No plans this yr. Only planning somewhere near. It's either Bali or Sentosa I think. Ha... I also considered siloso but heard service of staff not gd. Hmm...

Pat> which Bali villa u went? Then I can siam it if I'm gg. Ha...

patndrew

Christie,

I went Uma Sapna, it a nice villa, the pool size is ggod, just not very clean, food is nice, service not too bad. consider one of the better villa in Seminyak area, but not near to the beach, shopping nearby is ok, but not cheap, actually its the surrounding.... i wouldn't consider those resort near to the beach too... because in general i wont swim in the beach.... just different lah, been to Maldives, not any other beach can replace lah.... whahaha
but my hubby says, Krabi and Koh Samui is much much better than Bali.

ryo

Hi joycelyn,

Yes no worries... u got plenty of time to select the most value resort(cheap, good and nice).
happy.gif

Hi Mintz,

Huh... jacuzzi again? I think they shld just add a plunge pool instead.. it's the trend now. Jacuzzi is really outdated. Unless it's a plunge pool with Jacuzzi function, like those in the W Resort.

Hi Christie,

yes indeed it's true, dun expect the staff to be super responsive. Cannot blame them at all, we shld also follow suit.... take it slow and steady and don't expect the efficiency of the Japanese or Korean.... it's Maldives, and we suppose to relax and let the time stand still.
happy.gif

I'm very headache also... I wanna to plan another trip in July, looking at Bali, Krabi, Phuket, Koh samui and others nearby island.... but my heart still points me to Maldives. It's difficult to find powdery white sand beach like Maldives. I want my son to enjoy those clean powdery sand and not yellow coarse sand... but it comes at a price though.

Siloso beach resort is ok lah, actually u dun need any service at all if your rooms is ok. The last time I went, they are pretty good and efficient. I ask for a baby cot and in no time, they are knocking at our door with the cot.
Breakfast is so-so only, but cannot expect must, as the rates starts from only S$180.

I love the swimming pool, the lush greenary surrounding, the accessibility to the beach, wavehouse, underwater world and some nice food at the beach etc....so no complain at all. Rooms is abit small though(at 25sqm) but generally clean and no complain.

BTW, anyone been to Thailand resort before? any recommendation for nice resort with nice beach and clear water?
happy.gif

mummyauni

Wu : Take advantage of the infant flight rate...go to Maldives! Hehhee..

I've been to Phuket and Krabi. I like them both but prefer Krabi. There are many activities that u can do there such as island hopping..rock climbing...elephant ride.

I did consider going to either Bali or Krabi this June but i think it will be quite tiring to be travelling and doing activities with a toddler around. That's why decided on Maldives. Even though she won't be able to appreciate the beauty of Maldives...at least she has activities to do there such as swimming, playing with sand and if it's too hot...can go to the Kids' Club.

mooncloud

Pat> I was looking at uma sapna!!! Ha... How long u went and roughly how much u spent?

Wu> hmmm... Shall consider siloso if Bali fails then. Once u been to Maldives, all else seems pale in comparison. But better than nothing bah.

patndrew

Christie, whahaha what a coincident... we we August born, think alike!

i paid 210USD per night, stayed 5 nights, breakfast included, served in room, selections of western or Indonesian, tasty mee goreng!!!
i bought some candle lanterns, those deco for home.... some nice leather flat sole, beach dress, some glass homeware, all into a carton check-in!
initially was thinking of going there to buy furniture ship back to SIN, but didnt find anything attractive.

ryo

Mummyauni, I always tempt ppl with MAldives.... when I not decide to go back this year, you tempt me back.... Aiya.... why like that... LOL...
happy.gif

I will normally choose a resort that don't need to do other things, i.e travel, shop or other activities.. so wherever also ok, just that I will just "hide" in the villa or resort.
happy.gif

Yes indeed, Maldives is the best choice though...hmmm... tempted again. Ha

Christie, have you look at Banyan tree Bali as well? At least its still cheaper than Alila and Bulgari, Banyan villa rates starts from USD472...
Ya loh... last time I always go Redang island, as they have very nice beach and water quality. AFter we went to Conrad MAldives... that is the benchmark liao... but I'm still ok with siloso becos the surrounding is rather niche, just imagine they got nice beach like maldives.. and I "survive" the small room. The main attraction is still the swimming pool!
happy.gif

Pat>.. Wah... very very nice villa!! but very ex wor! how does it works there, especially the so call share place? live in a villa with stranger for that fixed rates?

ryo

PAT>... the rates is for the entire villa wo... then it's cheap if can find friends and fill up the 5 bed rooms!!
happy.gif

patndrew

Wu,
no lah you got to book the entire place, either all the rooms or part of the room, and they will shut the doors for those room that you not require, but of cos more ppl better price.
Nice right? organize a big group shiok!!
there's a place cater for movie under the stars... with your friends..... nice lor.... but none of my friends are interested... they find it expensive

ryo

PAT, if can find 5 couples, it'll be only starting from USD315 nett(include 17% tax) per couple per nite... with such a quality amenities, and privacy, it's consider very cheap and value liao.. In singapore, such a big house would be a good class bungalow liao loh. Niche indeed!!

Maybe the gang here, some are interested? Chrisite??
happy.gif

Still got several Maldives Goer group member that might be interested to share.... ok.. later post in the FB group page jio ppl. Haaaa.

The only thing I don't like is to travel on Bangkok airways.... any other airline fly there? I'm very particular about airline. Haa..

mintz0309

wu > i am easily pleased ( or rather too backdated =p )! give me a jacuzzi and that will keep me happy. hahah..

i've seen friends' photos from their samui holidays and it looks beautiful. but the airticket is ridiculously expensive for such short flight plus the timing is horrible, just doesnt make sense.. haiz.

patndrew

Finally i someone likes my idea, my friends not willing to spend money on luxury holiday.
you know we work hard must know how to pamper ourselves!

ryo

Mintz, actually in Maldives hor, a Jacuzzi is useless.... becos u have the entire sea as a Jacuzzi....kekekeke. :p
Anyway, you'll see for yourself lah.... lily beach really nice sand bank and reefs...a very good choice indeed!
happy.gif

And u are absolutely right! I just check the bangkok airway, the flight cost almost S$1k for 2 adult for a 1hr 45mins flight??!! "Sheng Ji Bing!!" Reach there at nite somemore... faint.

Hi PAT, your suggestion about this villa is really great! it's unique villa indeed.

last time my thinking same as u... spend money on luxury trip like Maldives, but now got kid hor, abit change liao... wahahah. But still I would also like to pamper my wife, kid and myself as well lah... now is budget over n over again for many times. LAst time, never think one, just go...!!

patndrew

Wu,
which year did you go to W retreat?
actually that was my 1st choice, but at the point of my booking, no promo, cost about 1000USD per night.....
How much did you pay per night for the beach oasis?

patndrew

Wu, agree with you, me and hubby same, not only holiday, luxury goods too, my hubby very 'ai sui' buy lots of clothes.
so for now he has no intention for kids yet... thats why!

actually the airfare is ok lah, $500 for 10hrs flight even worse right? as long as you get to the destination!
go via BKK lor, $400

mooncloud

Sorry to disappoint u folks.. But I believe koh samui flooded now loh. Tourists are stranded on that island. I doubt it will be ready by may coz I wanna travel in may. Ha... I also like luxury holidays but I think a bit too much liao. Hb protesting... Sad.

patndrew

ya i heard its flooded.... as is Phuket right?

dont be sad Christie, be cheapskate everyday until he cannot tahan! then he will get to realize he need a luxury holiday again! idea?? hahaha

ryo

PAT.. I went in 2009 July. I think got promo, buy 6 stay 7 something like that. I stay there 8 nites, 4 nite ocean oasis, 4 nite beach oasis. Average out it's about USD700 nett per nite. I think beach is near USD700, while ocean is USD800+..

That time never really think loh... really spent too much. But that's not my 1st choice hahaha... original is Huvanfenfushi, then no rooms. Then I book Beach House at Manafaru, the 2 rooms Grand water pavilion when I saw the rates is unusually low, at about USD800. Booked liao but days later resort reply no rooms... siao. Then I saw they adjust the rates... I think either agent or they make a mistake on the rates, but I'm the one who lose out. Finally it's then W Retreat. No regrets at all, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Ha...

Aiya, u folks still pretty young n just got married.. enjoy 1st lah. No plan for kids doesn't mean don't want right?
Err... but $400 on BK air and Thai air? hmmm... so far I only trust SQ, and feel safe and comfy in it... and off course the seaplane in Maldives. HA.

eh... PAT, I'm a cheapskate now.. after having a kid. Think guys can be cheapskate for many years hor... it'll be the wife becoming Buay Tahan.
I would spent S$1.8K for a babypram than a nice pair of jean for myself hor...MY jeans is from Gmarket.. cost only S$9-S$17...but I'm happy.. hahaha...

Hi Christie,

Aiya.. different timing, I'm planning for July. Ha. you not bad liao lah.. been to Alaska cruise and Maldives and many places in 1-2yrs time.
happy.gif

Saving is good, but still have to enjoy some luxury "goods" together. Next year Maldives lah. Hahaha... I'll keep u updated.
happy.gif

patndrew

Wu,

wow thats alot of money for that W retreat!!
i wanna aim for that too!!

but most likely will go Seychelles
travel around the world mah

ryo

Hi PAT... Free Ice cream(Magnum) and soft drinks.. so they charge more loh. ..kidding. :p
so u see... after spending so much in 2009, since then I only went malaysia and Sentosa Wahahaha.... A kid really can dry up our saving but in return we have laughter and someone so precious n every morning he will greet us with a smile... priceless.
happy.gif

Aiya.. next time u will know... now go, fly, tour!!
happy.gif

Hmmm... how about Bora Bora, Tahiti, Fiji? I find Bora Bora nicer than Seychelles.....
happy.gif

If I have spare cash, I will tour Australia/NZ then fly to Bora Bora for a few days... Hopefully I can do that in another 5 yrs time. Big project also.

mintz0309

wu > hehe, very glad my resort choice got the stamp of approval from the resident expert. look forward to indian ocean as my jacuzzi! =)

christie! > can i OT and ask you about alaska? trying hard not to get obsessed with planning since it's not gonna happen until next year but wu just mentioned the magic word and got me started again. did you do any land tour extension in inland alaska or at the rockies?

mooncloud

Pat> I being cheapskate now already. Even order mcdonald I also tell him expensive. Then I say I thought u ask me to save? Ha... Then he cannot take it. Seems like we have similar tactic! Oh ya huh... Just realise you, me and wu all aug babies. Similar taste. Hehe...

Wu> my hb also say I travel too much last yr so tio ban from travelling. Am now testing my luck. Plan for may coz my anniversary mah. More meaningful. But so far nothing done. Coz hb's work and schedule not confirmed.

Mintz> no problemo... I extended to Rockies though I did some basic research on inland Alaska. But only regret is that I went on guided tour. Hai... Lovely place though. Worth gg.

patndrew

Christie, whahahaha that's they way man! My hb complain on saving, next minute buy branded clothes online... For travel want to save but got high taste, Anything he choose are expensive, buy stuffs and furniture for hse all European product, hahahaha but find ways for discount and promo lor.

Now keep telling me, we should go back Maldives. Because he can sleep better there! Really!!! I think those nights he had his best sleep in his life!!! Very peaceful!!
We tried country resort in Australia, not as good as beach resort, because the noise from the cricket wakes him from his sleep!!

patndrew

Wu, on average, how much money do u need to set aside for ur kids per month? I mean I know it's never enough, but from ur experience?

ryo

Mintz> Enjoy your super huge jacuzzi.... and don't forget to bring your snorkel and flipper.... most such nice house reef will definitely have alot of Nemo's...assorted marine fishes and possible a resident turtle.
happy.gif

Christine>Eh hello... Anniversary is a huge event hor... 2nd to Wedding. Must at least go somewhere nice la...kkekeke... Maldives! Maldives!!

Pat> Can lah.. fly to Australi and transfer and transfer and tranfer. Haaa. But hor, I find even the most ex resort there, the villa abit funny one loh.. some make of bamboo. Too rustic to my liking.
I ever went to Port Stephen, Australi, stay at Peppers Anchorage. quite nice lah... no cricket sound.A Beautiful and really scenic Bay... next time can try if you are there. Don't think you are driving to Sydney during your upcoming Dec trip hor?
http://www.peppers.com.au/anchorage/

Hmmmm... talk about pregnancy 1st lah. Every month visit Gynae once/twice, about S$100~200 ba..for about 8 mths. Gynae package about $1k.
Various test and scan.. about S$1-2k ba..
Plus eat bird nest la, some chinese herbs lah, probably another S$1k.
Actual day ops plus 3 nite stay in Thomson Medical(single bed) ~ S$6k
Some ppl opt for cord-blood storage - S$2-3k ba.. plus yearly maintenance.

Baby's stuff such as Prams, bedding, Cot, clothings, car seats, accessories, bottles, steamer, other furniture, baby monitor, baby carrier, breast pump, toys .. .list goes on n on.... S$5k min ba. If u want higher end stuff... Branded, then will be even more.

Now baby still quite cheap, as they progress it'll be more.(per mth)
1)Diapers - about S$40-50
2)Milk powder - about S$80
3)other muchies - about S$20
4)allowances for PIL(taking care of my son) - S$400 (if you sent for infant care, starting rates is from S$600+ to S$1500 or more depends on brand again.
5)toys - S$50 or more
6)insurance - S$100
7)Others - Doc, gynae

and last but not least, you n your hubby's time with the baby.... priceless!!
happy.gif

patndrew

Wu, that was very detail!!! Thank u!!! Will show my hb this!
Plan for next baby then!!

Don't think will drive to Sydney, was there 2009, like the outskirts, we drove and stay out Sydney for a week. I don't like Sydney, everywhere pack with ppl.
Actually I don't realize the cricket sound only until he mentioned, u get what I mean... He's just a fussy sleeper, super light sleeper. But in Maldives no prob for the 5 nights in Conrad!

mooncloud

Wu> Anniversary is big event... But I low budget wor. Maldives is far far away in dreamland. And I just saw the bulgari resort in bali u mentioned. Killer prices man... Though look gorgeous. But crazy to spend it in Bali. Wanted to go Seoul... But hb scared radiation. Argh... Stoopid nuclear plant. I just wanna go somewhere!!!

Thanks for the breakdown on kid's cost. Just told hb and he gave me a blank look. Ha.. Stunned beyond words. Well... When it comes it comes...

Pat> my hb spends on his car!!! Argh.. Worse. All kinds of things. One day tell me rims, the brake kit, tyre, next thing exhaust then dunno wat coilover... The list is endlessly long. And most of them cost a holiday... Sigh. So much for saving.