Japan trip - where to go

dolphie

When I was in Japan, stayed in this hotel called City Hotel Lornstar in Shinjuku area. The location's great, just about 10-15 min walk from the Shinjuku JR station. It cost about $160 for a double room.
Er, don't expect 5-star hotel. It's probably more like a motel... the security and service is quite good too.

happy.gif

dolphie

Lemonade,

Oh yes, there are quite a number of good finds at Ikebukuro too. Met someone whilst I was there, staying at a budget hotel.

Love Japan! Enjoy your trip!

lemonade

harro mikko and Dolphie,

thanks for your speedy reply, I'll check the website out soon.

yea ... if the accomodation are not too ex, I might have some "hope" of going there! yea!!!!

*happy weekends*

besse

lemonade..

try searching for Tokyo Inns in the website.. nice rooms / apts in strategic areas.. wanted to stay in the one near to the shinjuku area, but fully booked

alternatively, there's these small inns run by old couples called Bai Mu Wu (translated white wooden house)

I stayed in Shin-Okubu area's Bai Mu Wu.. hmm. cheap by Jap's standard.. but don expect hotel class.. maybe abt 1 star.. *grin*

If you want, i can try to dig for the no. for you..

hong

Hi Besse,

i will be going Japan during Jan 03 for honeymoon. Wondering if you have recommendations for stay in Shinjuku area?

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

rgds

shin

shinjuku washington is not too expensive.
although it's a slightly longer distance to the main shopping areas

besse

Hi Hong

If you not too particular abt the accomodation, i would recommend for you to stay at City Hotel Lornstar as per Dolphie's note earlier in the thread... no frills, but pretty cheap since it's near shinjuku area... but then again, Shinjuku canm be quite "zar" cos it's like a red light district at night

you can find details of of City Hotel Lornstar in this website http://jcha.yadojozu.ne.jp/jcha/plsql/itiran2_e?KEN=13

Then again, if you wan better acommodations, i can suggest that you stay in Royal Park Hotel in Nihonbashi. it's a pretty nice and classy hotel next to TCAT and subway , perfectly convenient to hop onto a train to zip ard the city... and nice ambience too... the bar at the top of the hotel can even allow a glimpse of mt fuji on clear days.. i stayed there on my last biz trip.. and enjoyed the place a lot... can check out this website:

http://www.royalparkhotels.co.jp/nihonbashi/index-e.html

lemonade

hi Besse,

thanks for your help.

me might not go japan in dec liao. but hoping to go there sometime next yr, maybe march?

till then, might need your help again : )

joan

Keen to join Chan Bro 5days Japan departure 28th Jan but package not open yet cos no customer book yet. Welcome all to join. Hope to see u guys who re keen in Japan. Pls call Chan Bro now!

jan

I went osaka and tokyo last october. personally, i prefer osaka, very scenic and cleaner air. Went by ANA tour and extended on our own. Those going on your own, beta read a guide first and never never flag for a cab. Learn more about the subway or JR lines, it will help you a lot when travelling around.

jen

Hi joan,
I intend to book a package tour somewhere end of Mar or first week of April. Hope to see the sakura in Tokyo.

Hi all,
I have always wanted to do a F&E tour in Japan but not too sure if it would be easy. Would appreciate if anyone can give some advice?

pin

Hi Jen,

It will be good if u know basic Japanese..if not, do a lot of homework, print out maps(especially the railway lines) so that if u are lost, just point to them where u want to go and they are most willing to help u..
Basically, more or less u will figure out cos there are a lot of 'han zi'..
When I'm there, the only places where the Jap can speak good English are the fast food outlets..

jan

jen, it's not easy to do F&E if u r going there the first time. I sugges u go on package tour, Kyoto will be a beta place to see cherry blossom.

Never never travel by cab.

jen

Hi Jan, pin,

thanks for the advice. Care to share yr experience? (which part of Japan you've been and where you like most) I'm quite eager to try out the toilet facilities that my friend describes to me -abt the different 'spraying' mode (hope u know what I mean)

Hi kittycat,
from what I know, cherry blossom on the first wk of April but last yr it started early. It blossom during end of Mar.

akira

hi Kittycat,

the exact time sakura blooms depends on the weather for tat year. the warmer it is the earlier. It also depends on which part of Japan.. it would start blooming from the south and 'reach' Tokyo by either the last week of March or first week of Apr.

tecks

hihihi ladies.....saw this latest thread on SB so decided to "dropby"....
Just like to share some of my Jap experiences..
My wify n I got married in end Sep last year n a week later...went over to Japan for our honeymoon...
happy.gif

Took up a 7 days Chan Bros tour package to Disneyland...Mt. Fuji...Hakone (famous hot spring area)....some parts of Tokyo..Kyoto...Osaka....Universal Studio...
happy.gif

met very fun group members...
After tat..instead of coming back to S'pore..... Min n I went on a 5 days F&E tour around Tokyo on our own....BERY FUN n DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED!!
happy.gif

(despite our limited knowledge of Japanese language....)
Jen....if u hav a chance...must "try" the "spraying mode" toilet facilities... INTERESTING i feel.... although Min doesn't feel comfortable trying it...hahahaha.....
happy.gif

I think...you should be able to find this type of facilities in hotels and major shooping outlets.....
happy.gif

guess wat!!?!?!... one pair of my group members actually BOUGHT this type of "facility" back to spore!!!
happy.gif
hahahahah...but can tell u tat it is definitely not cheap.....

Tecks!!
happy.gif

pin

I went there during Summer with my sis and mum for 8 days on our own..We stayed in Tokyo, we also went to DisneySea and Yokohama and did lots of shopping..Dun go to their Dept Store..things there v ex..go to small shops and big 100yen shop..

There was a bit of difficulty going to Hakone cos we took the train there and had to transfer to another train..Think u really need a good study of the map cos they speak v v little english there. We stayed a nite at Hakone..the hotel we stayed at is at the bottom of a mountain..we had to take a train from the hotel lobby cum reception to the valley where the hotel really is..nice nice place and scenary..they have their own waterfall too..

Din try the spraying toilet bowl cos not v comfortable leh..my mum loves it though haaa...

kpo

oh..i love the spray toilet seats (with seat warming function and machine that generates flushing sound!!!!) after trying them...i wanted so much to get one for my home...unfortunately, the models available in singapore aren't good.

can obtain train route map from tourist info counter (@ airport or info centres) or @ train stations...with the route map, it'll be a breeze to travel around as the train network is like one of the best connected in the world..almost every 100m there'll be a train station!

if travelling from NRT airport to tokyo...please don't take the taxi! it'll easily cost you S$300-400!!! there are airport limousines available that ply major hotels/landmarks within tokyo and cost only $35-45. if not, you can take the train to tokyo.

jan

jen, i went with the ANA package to osaka and tokyo - 7days and thereafter i extended on my own. If u want F&E, u should do extention cuz guides will probably bring u around in the nite the take the subway, from there u will be able to learn alot.

Osaka is beautiful, visit temples.... at mt fuji, we went all the way up to 5th station and did some hiking. breath taking and weather is perfect, cold up there tho' as it is autumn.

But for Disney, it's been terrible, crowded everywhere, it was sunday and the next day was public hols so u can imagine all the japs were there. we didn't even get to eat and drink, rides and food queue is super long throughout the day, so i suggest u bring some a bottle of water with you.

angelia

yes, the spray toilet seats with warmer, etc is a must try!! it's really a good experience
happy.gif

hoping to go back Osaka someday (follow hubby to biz trip) but the airfare is oso an consideration....

Hi ladies,

I am planning for my honeymoon to Japan for abt 7 to 8 days during the last week of March or 1st week of April this yr. Any idea how much it's gonna cost me, incl accomodation and flight ticket and daily expenses? I have been told that it's very expensive to go to Japan....There are so many travel agencies in S'pore....which are the more reputable ones to rely on?

jan

a normal 3-4 stars hotel cost about $250 a day rite? that was what i paid during my stay there.

ExcitedBride, u try ANA packages or JAL packages, usually airlines packages should be providing better hotels and meals.

When i was there, we met another group of Singaporean who joined one of our local tour agency. Found out that on the same day, both groups went to Mt Fuji, our group (airline tour) went up to 5th station of mt fuji but the other group was only at the foot of the mountain as their tour leader/guide told them for that particular season, no tours are allowed up bcuz of the weather. What a lie! the weather was fine and up in the mountains it's so beautiful. One comment is going all the way up to 5th station is a long long ride, very tiring as well, must be paitent and bear with the ride. But it's worth it!!

S

same

hi excited bride,

i joined the Chan bros package. quite good. you may wanna try.

that time most of our meals are included, except for the lunch, when we were at osaka movie world, tokyo disneyland and on the last day (shopping)

meals are good too, got japanese meals, not like some agency bring tourist to chinese food restaurant.
happy.gif

E

excited bride

Hi jan and same,

thanks for the advice. For the rest of the brides who have been to Japan, incl. jan and same:

Do you recommend that I go F&E (meaning I book only hotel and accomodation only) or do I go on a package? Is it tough getting around in Japan on yr own esp. if you don't speak Japanese?

akira

hi excited bride,

if you plan to stick to cities such as Tokyo, Osaka or even Fukuoka, you can get by F&E as long as you can read a subway map (albeit relatively complicated ones). There are English signs everywhere and it helps if you can read Chinese characters. Its fun exploring the city on your own, take time to savour the character of the city.

btw pls dun eat Chinese food in Japan.. even the most expensive and the best are generally not tat palatable. Other than Chinese food, food in Japan such as Italian, Thai etc etc is v good. You should try visiting the basement of the major Japanese department stores where there is a huge variety of food.. confectionery is superb in Japan, so if you have a sweet tooth, its almost heaven.

jan

Excited Bride, u go check out what a package offers (they have various) as well as how much accomodation and airfares for F&E adds up to.

what i suggest is, if you have 10days, go by package for 5-6 days and extend on yr own for the remaining.

It also depends on what you want, shopping or sightseeing? if it's just shopping, F&E will be fine but for signtsee as much as u can, try package, will definitely save a lot on transportation.

dolphin

Anyone planning a trip to Japan this coming end of Mar to early April?

Heard from my friend that during these period is the school holiday in Japan. And it's always raining there but yet it's the most popular period to tour. Is it true? If not, when is the recommended period to go Japan?

Thanks.

G

gine

hi all,
am thinking of extending for a few days in tokyo after the package tour, as i read from the above postings, would like to ask the girls which hotel is reccommended for extension for F&E, our budget is pretty tight, maybe $100 to $150??

idono

There's a very nice place in Tokyo area which seems to be missed out in the postings here. Its call Odaiba. Very big shopping area, like a castle. Toyota super big showroom is there too. And there's a big ferris wheel for lovely dovey couples. Also, its near the sea, so very romantic at night.

M

mm

Hi gine,

the hotels in japan are ex, yet to say tokyo. it will be difficult to find hotels for 2 persons at a rate of $150. hmm...actually my friend managed to find a hotel that cost ard $100 somewhere just outside tokyo area. but not sure if the hotel staffs know english or not. those lower end hotels in jap usually speaks only jap. else, u can see if want to stay in ryokan(japanese inn own by family). tat time saw some ryokan in tokyo area offering at ard $100 per nite for a twin room. not sure if the owners speak english?? ryokan are smaller than hotels and some are rather old with common toilets. most of the time, the host are friendly and kind. somemore can get to sleep in tatami mats.

Another way is to ask the tour guide to help u extend the stay in the last hotel u will be staying. guess nite extension should be slightly cheaper. that time got a couple extended 1 nite near the tokyo airport area and they pay ard $220(15000yen).

M

mm

hi Dolphin,

end mar is a good time to visit jap as its the cherry blosom period. sakura are very beautiful and i loved it! imagine u walk into a park where all the trees are sakura trees. can see trees with white flowers instead of leaves! those parks n gardens will be crowded with jap as well as foreigners. in addition, there will be many different types of flowers blooming during that period. not raining period then... will always have those non-stop drizzling in mid april-may, then rainy season in june.

the summer in jap is very hot, hotter than spore. i personally feel that best time to go jap is end mar(see flowers) and nov period. can see those red leaves in nov period. very nice =)

P.S. guess this yr may have early sakura period as last yr, hence best to go jap ard mid-end march period. but hard to say oso...

G

gine

hi idono,
thanks for sharing of Odaiba. Is the shopping there expensive?

hi mm,
thank you for your kind explanation. me too thought that its difficult to get hotel rooms at that kind of pricing. The Japanese inn sounds a pretty gd idea, but we hve language barrier as we both know nothing about Jap language.
we'll probably check with the tour agency here to help us with the sourcing of a budget hotel.
Thanks anyway for your help
happy.gif

idono

Gine,

Welcome.
Shopping is always expensive in Japan. But if you like to go for new fashion trend, you'll find it in Japan. Generally, I notice that what is trendy in Japan tends to catch on in singapore 6-9 mths later.

Odaiba is a must visit, very romantic place. And the amazing thing is that its in the heart of tokyo, you can still find such a place.

If you wish, I can go check up the names of the nice places around tokyo and update here since i've forgotten most except the most famous. (Yes?) Like Hakone is very nice too. But beware of crowds during sakura period. Oh yeah, whatever you do, please try to avoid going during their holiday week which is in May if my memory is correct.

M

mm

hi gine,

here are some links on japanese inn
http://www.jpinn.com/
http://www.itcj.or.jp/#

checked some of the inns in tokyo area n the rates is rather cheap! quite many of them are actually less than $150. i think those inn-keeper in the above links should know simple english. maybe can drop them an email to test if they know english... all the best in the accomdation search!

amber

hi, all

i'm considering japan for my honeymoon. anyone can advise on the weather in end may/early jun period? thanks.

idono

hi amber,

I depends on which part of japan.
tokyo area, end may is pretty warm to hot. southern part of japan like osaka is already turning to summer temperature. In hokkaido, you might still be able to catch cherry blosom in the northern part. Temperature is very cooling in end may. Nice kind of cooling, not cold.

idono

Went with SATours once before to Japan Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo.

Visited many touristy sites. Food wise is poor, lots of chinese fare, hardly taste japanese food there.

bubble

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any gd tour agency for japan package ? I dun like the CHan Bros.' package cos there are 2 days where they go for games and rides. I prefer sightseeing. Thks.

idono

SaTour shd be the better one.
But otherwise, I feel they're all similar as wht the local agencies did was to book packages from agencies in Japan.
As there are only a few types, local agencies tend to end up using similar agencies in Japan.

lollipop

Hi Bubble,

We went to Japan with SA Tours last October.

Despite going to many places, we didn't feel the rush. There was time for us to walk around, do some souvenir shopping, take photos etc. We went to Osaka, Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo. Food wise was ok. We had to eat on our own on certain nights, therefore we had the opportunity to try their Jap food. There are alot of Jap rest. in Sunshine City Hotel, if I dun remember wrongly. We stopped by a rest. near Mt Fuji to eat, tatami style. On our last day we went to Ueno and ate in this small eatery where you place your orders via their vending machine. The Katsu don only cost 430 Yen. Was the cheapest meal we had in Japan!

Idono, we only went to eat at a rest. opened by Taiwanese. That was the only time we ate Chinese food. And it tasted great!

bubble

Hi Lollipop,

Thks for ur comments.

Which hotel did u stay in Tokyo ? Is it near the train station ? cos the last day is f&e until we get to airport in late pm. I presume urs is a 7 day tour ?

Rgds,
Siew Fong

lollipop

Hi Bubble,
We resided at Sunshine City Prince Hotel, methinks. It's where the Toys 'r' us is. Opposite the hotel if I dun remember wrongly is Seiyu.

SA Tours chooses city hotels, instead of airport hotels. We actually stayed in the hotels with the biggest room to the smallest
lame.gif
If you decide to go with SA, perhaps you can find out if ure tourguide's name is Alex. He's quite good.

lollipop

Forgot to add.

Yes, ours was the 7 days trip. In fact it is only 6 cos one day's being taken up by travelling on the plane.

I dunno if it is near the train station.

E

es

Hey,
I also stayed in Sunshine City Prince when i was there in Nov 02. MRT suppose to be near, but it takes abt 10-15 to reach there. The MRT in Japan is very big. So u have to take a while to figure out how it works.

lollipop

Hi ES,
We left Japan on 1st Nov 02.
happy.gif

Yes, the tracks are really misleading huh? They were coded in so many different colors and all the words are in Japanese. Nevertheless, we took the train by ourselves and headed down to erm, somewhere (offhand can't remember the place) because my hubby wanted to look for some toys. I was kinda worried that we would be lost, but everything turned out ok. Guess I should trust his sense of directions more.
lame.gif