Intercontinental Singapore

nicky

hi all

i juz had my wedding at HI on 22 june. din really hear of any complains about the sound system.

service (from anya, the floor manager and other hotel staff) was very good and we received good comments about the food from our guests. most of them told us that they were oready very full by the time they ate the second last dish (i.e.the rice).

just that the fish was not too good but me and hubby had a great time working wif HI.

jbride

hi all HI brides,

i've not been following up on my banquet prep...
can someone enlighten me what are the new theme avaliable?

My wedding at HI will be on 7 dec...when should I meet Anja & the florist to discuss the deco?
25943.gif

T

turq

hi nicky, wat's wrong with d fish? u're not d 1st person to mention this...

it's too hard? should we change it to d conventional sea bass then?

did u try it during d food tasting?

nicky

hi turg

yep..we changed the fish to garupa. but it was hard.

we tried the sea bass during food tasting. not very nice either.

guess it really depends on your luck. if u r lucky, the quality of the garupa shld be good on the actual dinner..

october

Hi all,
I know I abit cheapo but have anyone tried to ask Anja if we can negotiate and bring in duty-free liquor and wines? Tot tat will help to down the cost quite a bit.

october

Hi cannot,
Mind if I ask what did you ask anja for? She was quite accomodating to my requests when I was negotiating for my package then in Feb.
Honestly, till now, the only thing tat I hope HI can improve upon is really the invitation cards. Wonder why they have only 2 options and both are equally ugly.. sigh

nicky

hi october

yep.. its possible. we did bring in duty free liquor.

but u got to negotiate quite hard on the free corkage and push yr way.. anya's a bit sticky on this aspect.

B

blurrr

Hi, I just happened to know that from a friend that the harpist in HI is actually the owner of The Wedding Giftshop...maybe the new cards come from there?Has anyone have any clue about this?

october

Hi nicky,

Thks thks alot for letting me know tat I can bring in duty-free liquor. Wil save quite abit fm there. Wat about wine?

Yes, I agree to get anja to waive corkage is really hard. She agreed to give me 1st 24 bottles corkage waived, subsequent ones I wil take the wine fm the hotel. Tat's abt the best I can get.
Wat abt u?

Hi blurrr,
Do u thk if we get the harpist directly w/o gng thru' the hotel it wil be cheaper? My friends were tellg me to consider getting her, coz saw her play at the lounge and commented she was gd. personally, I hv nt heard her play before. Any comments?

On the cards, I dun care who they get the cards fm, as long as they change it coz' they are really ugly.. sigh..

nicky

Hi october

i am not too sure abt the wine..

my arrangement was the same as yours, first 24 bottles waived and subsequent ones i took from the hotel.

hm..wonder if anyone got more than 24 bottles??

H

hmmm

hi nicky & october,
Can you pls share how you managed to get 24 bottles waived?
How many tables did you booked with anja? Is it a weekday or weekend package?
I got a weekday package and anja only waived 12 bottles for me.

october

Hi hmmm,

Mine is a Friday night package , booked min 25 tables only. Somehow just negotiated with Anja and explain to her why I needed wines waived coz' wil be a huge costs to me blar blar blar.. then she agreed.
Maybe it's a new ruling now tat they can only waive 12 bottles, coz' I book in Feb

karen

Hi everyone.
I am also a HI bride. Met up with my coordinator yesterday(my friend) and felt that HI has been very stingy with their stuff. Heard from him that marriot been giving free flow beer, 2 day room for helper, free corkage per bottle wine per table, free live band (need only give ang pow). Been asking angeline (HI coordinator) for day room etc and compare the offer from marriot. she told me that other hotel policy but not theirs. All she could give me was 24 bottles of wine corkage waived when i sign 42 tables with the, Any suggestion?

H

hmmm

October: thanks for replying! It might also due to the fact that mine's a weekday package. Nevertheless, i've met up Anja for discussions. She's been pretty helpful & accomodating. I'm happy!

Karen: Those freebies by Marriot sounds attractive. How much is the Marriot package going for?

october

Hi Karen,
Did you check out what your friend said about Marriott yourself?
Personally, I have met up with both Marriott (Angela) and HI's coordinator (Anja) coz' these 2 are my final shortlisted hotels. Based on the info I got and the meeting I had in Feb with them, there is no way tat Marriott package is better than HI's.
The free flow of beer was a promotion late last year but since Jan this year, it was not available anymore. They only give 20L as compared to 30L by HI. Day-use room was a no-no to me when I neg back then, they insisted that I pay for day-use room. There is no free live-band, only a baby grand piano there which you can get someone to play.
Corkage - I was not even given a bottle waived when I spoke to Angela back then. And I think 24 bot is the max tat HI can agree to waive it.
Other things which marriott is unable to give is carpark passes (20% vs 30% fm HI). Nevertheless, my comparison was based on my last meeting in Feb, hence things might have changed by then.

karen

Hi October,

Thks for the info. I didnt went down to Marriot personally cause i fell in love with HI the first time i saw it so i didnt even bother to source out other hotel. But due to the wedding clashes with the hse. Me alittle broke so trying to save on the beer. Any idea if 60L is enough for 42 tables? I am thinking of doing away with the wine. Does it look cheapo?

october

Hi Karen,

Personally, I actually still prefers Marriott's ballroom to HI's coz' it's newer. However, I was and I still am reluctant to pay for the 'additional' charges which will be incurred if I get Marriott like corkage and beer.

I am also hopping tat someone can tell me how many litres of beer would be sufficient but doubt anyone can accurate do so. Guess it depends a lot on your guests' profile.

A way to help you control wine charges is to let the hotel know the max no. of bottles you are willing to buy. Eg, if you are bringing in 24 bottles, maybe just get at most another 15 to 25 bots max fm hotel. Once all these are gone, pre-brief the banquet manager to inform the guests tat you have run out of wine and ask politely if they would like liquor, beer or soft drinks. Tat's wat I am going to do too.

coolcitrusbasil

hi ladies..

hi jbride, 2 weeks before your wedding, HI shld be calling u to cfm ur menu and ballroom theme. not to worry since ur wed is in dec. ;)

coolcitrusbasil

hi nicky, u had ur wedding on the 22june? Congrats! Everything goes well?
I had seabass during food tasting and we tot it was ok. maybe we din really pay special attention to it.. have to agree their portion is real huge :p)

ladies, din know they are gg to discontinue the 2 rings card
sad.gif
tot that was the nicest among all

hazel

hi brides-to-be

any1 havg their weddg dinner in sept 03 @ HI? (specially on fri)

I need ur advise urgently

ty

nicky

hi coolcitrusbasil

wa.. yr nick name is really loong.

yep.. my wedding was on 22 june. everything went very smooth. me and hubby had a wonderful experience working with HI staff.

when is your wedding? it must be real soon rite since u have gone for food tasting? how's the wedding preparations?

actually, as long as both your parents r ok wif the sea bass, u dun really have to change it.
happy.gif

hm.. sad to noe that HI is discontinuing the 'two rings' card coz me and hubby tot it was the nicest too. (we chose this design).

H

hmmm

Hi Hazel:
I'm having my wedding at HI in Sep (but it's a Thurs). Not sure whether I can help, but what's your concern?

coolcitrusbasil

hihi nicky.. my other online friends call me basil. you can call me tat 2.. had "complaints" tat my nick is too long haahaa...my wedding is coming real soon this sept which is like less than 6 weeks time.. prep has been gd so far. has start to mail out my invite cards..i think overall the food at HI is not too bad all of us enjoyed the food tasting session. ;)
same here, we are using the 2 rings designs.

hi hmmm, just curious but is ur wedding date on 1st week of sept? :D

october

Hi Nicky,

Wonder when you brought in duty-free liquor, did you check with the hotel prior to the dinner or just brought the bottles in on the night itself? Or did you have to bargain with Anja on that or she simply agreed when you asked? Can you advise me?

nicky

yep.. we checked wif anya. she said ok to bring in duty free liquor. (dun have to bargain).

did u ask for upgrade to biz suite and a day room for yr helpers?

fudge

Hi, one and all! I'm also having my banquet @HI. I whole-heartedly agree that HI's invites are yucks! Their architectural theme is actually very nice and so, really don understand how come they didn't follow it- with those nice curvy patterns, paranakan stuff. Come on, so many other hotels of "cheaper range" have simple but chic nice ones... why can't HI?! What's so difficult in printing just the "XI" word, emborsed on deep red paper? Why must have pink-tinted roses on the Western-styled cards? Don u think it's quite dated and chee-na? Sooo upseting. Ya, and Anya quite "cold" leh. She took me by surprise as others very sociable, helpful and warm.

october

Hi Nicky,
hurray, anja told me they will 'close their eyes'on the duty-free liquor part.
Yap, I got a biz suite coz' told her tat I need a bigger room. Day room is subjected to availability 1 week prior to the function. If got rooms available, she will give me.

nicky

hi october

good for u. other wedding things settled oredy? (like yr gowns etc)

u will choose your ballroom theme i tink abt 1 month b/4 yr dinner. enya will ask u to choose the following : -

1)type of flowers u want for the centre piece, stage and aisle (basically any type of flowers that are available locally)

2)colour of the table cloth and napkin

3)wedding favours for the guests

4)ice carving

u may want to start thinking abt them esp the flowers. u noe lah.. gers always focus on such little things
happy.gif

october

Hi Nicky,

Did they do up the staircase tat leads from lobby to the ballroom with the floral decorations?

I kinda already know wat type of flowers I want esp when I am really the type very particular about ambience and atmosphere one. heee..

nicky

hi october

u got to pay for the staircase to be dressed up wif flowers.

i can't remember how much. i din get the staircase dressed up. but it still looks ok.

bluesky

Hi nicky,

Its $50 for the staircase dressing. Asked Anya whether by her experience does alot of people use staircase or lift. She says most people will use the staircase unless you drive then use lift. I thought it is ok not to have the staircase dressed but of course it will definitely build up an ambience/atmostphere if it is dressed up. So I decided to have it done. Anyone also have it done and if not, why not?

Hi all,
I am new to this thread. Yesterday gone to meet Anya. I have doubts with the table cloth and napkins colour and flowers colour. Anyone can share with me their experience? Many thanks!

I am so anxious liao because I have only 1 mth to go...

bluesky

Hi all,

Anyone have seen their Business suite? How is the decor like?
I felt the choices are quite limited for the stage, tables arrangements. Anyone taking the drapes and artificial lamp stand? They have a new favour, its a pair of chopsticks. Anyone choosing it?

october

Hi Bluesky,

Okay, thought S$50 is quite alright for the staircase dressing. Mmm, think I will get it too.
Think their business suite comes with a separate seating area and is on a higher floor than the shophouse suites. Anja told me tat the business suite is twice the size of shophouse so prob you can do your tea ceremony there if you want to.
I am thinking of booking the deluxe rooms for my parents tat evening thou.. wonder if I shd spend the money..

bluesky

Hi October,

That's a nice thought! But have you check whether they would like to stay? U know sometimes parents would just want to go back to their own bed. I think its good idea... can count angpow together the next day..kekekeke
When will it be your wedding day?
My ED is lime green in colour, do you think it is nice to use beige table cloth with yellow napkins? White flowers with some yellow and greens one? You guys think is it abit too '"white"?

october

Hi Bluesky,
Thanks, think I will just get them to stay coz' I suppose my dad might get quite drunk tat nite.. soo...mmm
I think the colors should look fine.. it will look soothing to the eyes.. don't worry about it... it's your nite afterall, just take wat u like

diamond

Hi October,

I'm new to this thread and will also be holding my banquet at HI (in Nov). I suppose your wedding is in Oct rt? ;p Can I chk whether Anja has called u for food tasting or selection of the invitation cards? Just wondering roughly how many months b/f the wedding the hotel will start to call u... Thks.

coolcitrusbasil

hi bluesky, i chose the chopsticks for my favor .. their biz suite is very big and spacious
happy.gif
which theme did u choose?
u have only one mth to go 2? quite excited huh ?

diamond

Hi Basil,

Thks for the info
happy.gif

I understand that your wedding is coming real soon, in Sept (next mth) rt? How's your prep? Btw, when is your BIG day? ;)

nov

Hi, i am new here. I have book my wedding with HI in November. Anyone has tried the gurupa fish?
Which decoration theme is nice?
Heard from Bluesky that chopstick is a new wedding favour. Did anyone has seen it?

newhere

hi all,

i'm considering on a weekday package and wondering what is the minimum number of tables they allowed. I know it's 25 but we are thinking of just 22. Another thing is can what perks we can try to ask for? Thanks a lot all HI brides.

coolcitrusbasil

hi diamond, yes wedding coming soon...less than 4 weeks from now..getting veri busy but had sent out invite cards, for now is to finalise guest list, table arrangement, doing program sheet, briefing my helpers, and the list goes on....
what abt u?

diamonds

Hi Basil,

Seems like your wedding prep is going on fine
happy.gif
Feeling excited abt the coming wedding? ;) Btw, what deco theme are you going to use?

As for me, not doing much yet, just asked our parents to do up the guest list. Waiting for HI to call us for the food tasting and selection of card. Understand that the designs of the current cards are very limited and not very nice. Wondering whether HI is going to have new designs?

B

bluesky2

Hi basil,

i chose the drape canopy with candle stand on the stage. Actually I find that all the style look the same, the only diff is flower stand triangle, round or square shape. For the aisle, I chose the flower stand with candle holder. How about you? Which date is your day? Mine is mid Sept. I am getting more and more panicky...I have not send out the invite cards yet. Did you use the printer recommended by HI? Got problem with them and printing of cards is delayed.

coolcitrusbasil

Hi Diamond, quite ok for now, think will feel the excitement a wk before the wedding. ;p
yup the cards nt that ideal still prefer the 2 rings. however, the re-print of the two rings card looks ugly. The sepia color and texture looks diff from the older batch of the two rings card.

coolcitrusbasil

hi bluesky, u chose the all 4 love theme? I share ur tots too.. all the design looks quite similar.. i chose the romance theme for the aisle nt too sure of the outcome. I actually wanted their older themes with candles as centrepiece which looks cool but since now they changed their themes, no chance to view the latest setup as yet.
Urs is mid sept ah.. mine is first week ;p
u havent send ur invite cards yet? cause of the 7mth? u meant u had prob with HI printer? i din use them .. used my own printer

new

hi basil

congrats, ur wedding date is near.... when wil tt be?

me thinkg of HI or rasa sentosa... k u pls advise

ty