HO BEE RENOVATION WORKS

my_rock_baby

Hi shuhann,
my defects (mostly are long crack lines on the wall, about 20+ of them) are fixed in 2 weeks time.

Hi Rachel,
wow finally started work huh ... very exciting hor
happy.gif
I will be installing the aircon piping and lights on Friday ... very happy now, because can't wait to see the lights
happy.gif
... hopefully the yellow lights will look nice
happy.gif

rachelcheng

Rockbaby, did you call to ask patrick if everything is ok on the first day work started? Cos I din call and ask leh... Should I call tomorrow? Cos dun want him to feel that I always "fan" him.. hehe..
How often you call to see see?

my_rock_baby

Hi Rachel,
As mine is a new flat, so 1st day normally I guess is just moving the cement/sand/tiles, etc to the house. During the tiling stage (which last for 3.5 weeks), I only visit the place once every week (normally Sunday... because the workers are not working and I can take my own sweet time to check and take picture).
Normally I did not call Patrick to ask him about the progress. I believe he can handle any situation well and if he needs any decision from me, he will call me
happy.gif
... actually just yesterday, he called to tell me that the painting for my ceilings are all done, ready for installation of lights on Friday. Will be meeting him on Friday to see some sample of aluminium doors and he needs to see the aircon pipings, etc also
happy.gif
... Will also be meeting Ah Keong ... aiyo I have been headache for the last few days over the laminate colors for all my carpentry ... sian leh! really hate to choose colors.

shuhann

hi rachel,
is your tiling done by the uncle with loud voice?

rock baby,
i think yours was done by him right?

if i want that uncle to do my flooring, how should i put it to Patrick?

cecill

hi rockbaby,
I was also in dilemma when comes to selecting laminate for carpentry...
In the end I chose the range under the lamitak nevamar series that is scratch proof. Not sure whether you have got the sample from Ah Keong. Below is the website: www.tak.com.sg

Shuhann, you can just request to Patrick to get the uncle to do your flooring.

rachelcheng

Yes, mine is by him. So if you also want him then we have to share the uncle loh, means we might have to extend the date of completion le..

my_rock_baby

Hi shuhann, no need to be pai seh, just tell Patrick which worker u want for your job. If that loud voice uncle do alone, he will need 3 weeks to complete, just to let u know
happy.gif
... mine done by him, I check almost all my tilings (until I backache), very good, nice straight lines heee. The gap also very small, about 2mm only (homogenous tiles)

Hi cecill,
I have got the laminate book from Ah Keong. For kitchen cabinet, I choose the lamitak series, because I cannot resist the falling in love with the color that Ah Keong recommend to me haaaa
happy.gif
. The bottom will be a dark brown with fine lines and the top will be a light beige with fine lines. For the rest of the carpentry (L-shape table, shelving, etc) I choose the nevamar series.
So happy, finally tomorrow can see my lights... will take some photo and post it here again
happy.gif

rachelcheng

Shuhann, when your reno start? I have yet to see the loud uncle. Also yet to see how he will do my tiles so cannot comment. Ya dun have to feel paiseh cos I also request for him due to rockbaby's comment.
If he did a good job then all 3 of us can advertise for him. But if he fails to do it up to standard then 2 against 1 hehe. I think it depends on luck also. Hope we are lucky that he will be consistent in his work. Cos also heard of not so good comments by other brides when you run thru the threads regarding the tiling..Keep fingers crossed.

shuhann

hi rockbaby & rachel,

i asked patrick to start reno on 22nd may, a date provide by my feng shui master..but we will only be collecting key on 17th may, tuesday..hopefully no defect else got to delay the reno date..

ok, will tell patrick to get that uncle to do for me..btw, do you know his name?

rachel, no worries, will let him do your house first..if i have to delay my reno, then by that 2-3 weeks after hdb fix the defect, the uncle would have finished your house's tilings
happy.gif

we r meeting patrick tomorrow to pick tiles..me so excited on the house more than my wedding ah..anyway, i hope to be able to move in in sept..are you girls moving in right after ur reno done?

girls, can i check with you how much is patrick charging for your flooring? i find it a bit expensive..mine is a five room (110) and he is charging us $6000..mind sharing with me ur quote on the tilings? i've asked him to revise our quotation again but till today haven't received it..will ask him again tomorrow..

rockbaby, did you really checked every piece of the tiling?

rachel, yeah, me heard too that the uncle not so good..hope everything goes well like rockbaby..

shuhann

can i check with you girls the brand and type of air con you are using? and how much you r quoted too? don't know which brand to choose..haiz,headache

thanks..

estarrygal

Hi gals,
I'm helping my busy parents to look for a reliable contractor with reasonable pricing to renovate our existing home. Will re-renovate the kitchen and have built-in wordrode for every bedroom. Although after reading plenty of compliments on Ho Bee, my parents still like to see past works of Ho Bee.

Care to share photos of your home renovation by Ho Bee please

Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks gals!

estarrygal

Hi celia,
omg... Phua Chu Kang is not realistic and is not a feasible suggestion to me ;)

Oh btw, not really minor works involved since the kitchen is more than 18ft long, there'll be changing of kitchen floor tiling and maybe also the 2 toilets hehe...

Why do you suggest Impress21? Care to tell?

my_rock_baby

Hi folks,
attached are some picture of the lights that I have bought for my house
happy.gif
... Bought them from "Lights Arcade" from Balastier.

285140.jpg
285141.jpg

Bedroom lights (blue rim to match blue walls)

285142.jpg
285143.jpg

Bedroom lights (pink rim to match purple/pink room)

285144.jpg
285145.jpg

285146.jpg

Dining room lights. Suppose to have another yellow hanging lights in between the 2 white lights, haven install yet because bought it from another shop)

285147.jpg
285148.jpg

285149.jpg
285150.jpg

Living room lights

285151.jpg
285152.jpg

Passageway lights

285153.jpg
285154.jpg

Kitchen/Toilet/Household shelter lights (this is what people normally called the hamburger light. Only difference is the one for kitchen is bigger)

my_rock_baby

Hi shuhann,

Let me answer your question first
happy.gif
happy.gif

Normally the moment the workers moved their equipment/sand/cement into the house, it is as good as "starting work" liao. So u can request Patrick to get them to move these into the house on 22nd May, and do the actually work only after the defects are retrified. any feng shui instruction, just let Patrick know... he is very careful when it comes to feng shui instructions heee
happy.gif
I also got a Feng Shui master to see my flat.. hmm not easy especially when it comes to carpentry work, Ah Keong and Patrick already scratching their heads heee
happy.gif

Patrick quote me $6200 for shiny homogenous tiles (600mm by 600mm) for living room/dining room/3 bedrooms/household shelter, $700 for matt homogenous tiles for kitchen, $700 for overlay 2 toilet tiles. If u look at the whole quotation, most of his items are pretty cheaper than the others (I compare with 3 of my colleagues quotation from other ID, Patrick ones are considered cheaper). The tilings may be slightly expensive, but well he has to earn something right
happy.gif
. I will look at it as paying for his good service. Have worked with him for the pass 4 weeks, he is really like what other says loh, honest, easy going, not calculative, etc. No regrets so far
happy.gif

Yes, I check every pieces of the tilings haaa... very crazy right? But still ok lah because the tiles are big so not that many pieces
happy.gif
... but still got backache now
sad.gif

I use Toshiba non-invertor system 3 aircon, $1606 from CoolS*rve (replace * with 'e'). I have used their maintenance service for the last 5 years for my existing house (sign contract with them, each aircon $100, for 1 year 4 times servicing... if need chemical wash it will be FREE). So far find them very professional and the machine they use for the cleaning very "up-to-date". I hope their new air-con installation also as good
happy.gif
. Take a look at their website www.cools*rve.com.sg (replace * with 'e') , u can use their online quotation to cheak their pricing.

I just learn a NEW lesson today. When choosing tiles, do not only look at 1 piece. Take a few pieces and put them together to see the colors (especially if the tiles u choose has some cloudy effect). This is what happen to my kitchen tiles. When I see at the showroom which only has a sample piece ondisplay, it looks pretty nice to me, with most of the area off-white in color and some other area little bit of greyish and there are some white lines. When Patrick took a section of sample for me to bring home, that piece also quite nice. BUT after they finished tiling the kitchen, the tiles don't look so "clean". See the picture below. Anyway I still like the tiles lah, though it does not look so "clean" but that is suppose to be the cloudy effect. I just have to get used to seeing it everyday and love it eveyrday haaa
happy.gif

285159.jpg

The top portion is my dining room shiny homogenous tiles. The bottom part is my kitchen tiles.

Today have finally confirm all the colors for my walls, carpentry work... Ah Keong said they will take 1.5 weeks to complete the carpentry ... wow so fast... can't wait to see the carpentry
happy.gif

Hey gals, when you all have started the reno, remmeber to post some picture here leh ... seems like recently only me posting heee pai seh leh!!! I love to see pictures of reno work, so at least can see what other people likes in their own house
happy.gif

hello88

Hi eStarrYGal,

I've got a quote from Impress21 (Henry is the boss). I referred him as PCK as he's more of a contractor than an ID, his quote is reasonable and he'll offer alternatives and suggestion if he thinks something is not feasible and not necessary to do.

try to read up on Impress21 thread in this forum as not that good to talk about Impress21 over here. Anyway, ?#39;ve to say that both Ho Bee and Impress21 quotes are reasonable...either there's not much difference or just slight bit

estarrygal

Hi rockbaby,
Since kitchen sink is for washing and always prone to water splashes, it'll be more practical to have such sink area as shown in the pic
Reasons:
1. Able to maintain in the long-term

2. Surely will not collapse

3. Can store detergents and household chemicals underneath w/o causing damages

If you like to know whether it's nice as in kitchen design, I've no idea.

Btw, I like the lights you've chosen. Very beautiful designs. Not dull but cheerful.

estarrygal

Hi celia,

Appreciate your assistance in providing information to me. Thank you very much Celia.

I shall add Impress21 on my list and check the thread on Impress21.

my_rock_baby

haaa... my existing house has a concrete sink area and it is really good to use, anyhow bang things on it or splash water also can. Trying to make the sink area "as nice as possible" now to suit my kitchen cabinet color.

rachelcheng

In fact Henry's quote is cheaper. But he is not flexible when it comes to sub contracting. Part of my reno will be done by a someone we know. So in teh end we choose Ho Bee as patrick allow us to subcon.

checkerina

I agreed with Rachel.But i think it would be "unfair" to Henry if quotations are for things which you like to do and he give whole lump sum discount + special price and then suddenly you mention you want to sub-con those big items out.But Henry does allow us to take out small sum items out fm quotation in the midst of reno.

checkerina

Hi Celia,

Yeap agreed!Henry will advise us things which not needed to be done like the window grilles.He mention still quite new plus he say HDB type more durable and no point wasting $$$.

And for the main door,actually think of changing into new one but cost S$1K (fire-rated) as mine is near to lift.But Henry offer to revamp it for us without any additional charge.

Plus he is not calculative and offer to help when we change our lockset for main door although we did not use his door supplier.

my_rock_baby

Hi Bearyhugs
guess what, today I saw a set of TV console and coffee table that looks 90% similar like the one u have
happy.gif
... and I bought it. The Tv console is $480 (2m long) and the coffee table is $300 (80cm by 80cm) Material is veneer wenge color. And surprisingly, I bought them in a HDB furniture shop haaa. Was just walking around see see look look and happen to see this special furniture shop that sells a lot of modern furniture (not the usual orangy wood type..).
I also bought a single size children bed ($160 for the bed frame), 2 single spring mattress ($150 each) and a 2-door children wardrobe $300.

For anyone interested to buy zen style furniture, maybe can try this shop.
This is their address :
S & C Furniture Dynamic
Blk 338 Ang Mo Kio
Ave 1 St 32
#01-1647
Tel : 65525208
Boss name : Melvin Tan

my_rock_baby

Hey gals,
may I do a survey on what brand/model of washing machine, fridge, Tv you are getting? These 3 items are the last thing on my BUY list now and it is time I do some research on it
happy.gif

Thanks

bearyhugs

Hi rockbaby,
Glad tat u've found your tv console and coffee table. We paid abt $800 for both console and coffee table from Furniture Mall.

We bought our electronic appliances from LG. Got LG WM, Fridge and samsung plasma. Can try getting prices from Ban Kim Chuan at upper changi road. Their prices are at least abt 5 - 20 % cheaper than what u get at Denki, courts or Harvey.

shuhann

hi rachel,
i understand from patrick that he has suspended the loud voice uncle, so he is not doing out flooring..is it the same as you too?

sorry, may i know rockbaby or bearyhugs that is having the bamboo house? i just want to know izzit because of fengshui that you are using bamboo? can i take a look at your house? my email address is [email protected] thanks a lot..

rockbaby, thanks for the full explanation..can i check with you too if the concrete part for your sink is charged separately? did you do concrete for the stove too?

thanks..

ssb

hi shuhann,

u mean the loud voice uncle no longer with patrick?? any reason? i thot he is the best asset for partrick??
crazy.gif

rachelcheng

It is so unfair. If not because of that uncle, I will have chosen other cheaper id. I am amazed by how you gals praise the uncle's tiling hence willing to spend more without even bargaining. Now the uncle is gone, its too late. I have already started hacking.

rachelcheng

I feel quite upset over this as I specially requested him to do our tiling. He should at least finish our project since it is a promise.

my_rock_baby

the loud voice uncle no longer work for Patrick huh? hmmm don't tell me my house is his last project... anyway Rachel, don't worry too much. There are others who did not get that uncle to do the tilings and they are also satisfied with their tilings, there are also some who use that uncle but not very satisfied with the job, so really heng suay lah
happy.gif
... just KPO a bit huh, why Patrick suspend that uncle huh?

Hi shuhann, Bearyhugs is the one with the bamboo house. Yes, the concrete sink area is charged separately, not inclusive in the kitchen cabinet. I did not do any concrete for my stove area.

Today I went up to see my house, the paintings are completed
happy.gif
... hmm really like the colors that I have choosen
happy.gif
.. thank god everything comes out nice nice
happy.gif

rachelcheng

according to patrick, he said the uncle got attitude prob. My confidence level drop drastically upon hearing that the uncle is suspended. My tiling take up 80% of reno works and how am I going to trust the others who are not even mentioned or recommended anywhere? I strongly believed in words of mouth. Anyway it is too late to do anything. JUST MY LUCK!

shuhann

patrick told us that the uncle was asked to do some touch up in one of the house in february and after completing it, he asked money from the home owner, therefore the home owner complaint to patrick..that's why he got suspended till now..

i don't mind whoever do my tilings as long as it is good,therefore i got to check each of the tiles ah..

hi bearyhugs,
can i have a look of your house?
thanks
happy.gif

my reno starting on 22nd may..i am still having headache with my kitchen, can't decide whether to hack or not to hack the wall just because my hubby wants to accomodate a big "L" shape sofa..i think patrick also cannot tahan us coz we keep changing the kitchen design..waiting for the perspective drawing from his designer..

my_rock_baby

shuhann,
how I check my tiles is :
1) use eyes to see the lines are straight and that the gap not very big, eg. 2mm
2) use my feet or hand to feel the gap between 2 side of the tiles and make sure no sharp edges, etc

so u see .. .tiring leh ... my backache got worst due to this
sad.gif

shuhann

rockbaby,
the 2 sofas we saw/wanted to buy is 2.8m length..where did you bought your sofa? the shorter and smaller ones look so funny..we dislike it so much..really having trouble finding a nice one
sad.gif

will bear in mind on the method you mentioned when i check my tiles..thanks
happy.gif

shuhann

thanks rockbaby..

i like the sofa shown under OM Dream Home..the last one..i saw this in the package i got from HDB when I activated my SP account..but i think the sofa is too big for my house..

will drop by the place and look at thier range
happy.gif

the 2 sofas i saw, one in Barang-barang, almost 3k. very ex but my hubby love it so much..and another one i saw at lorenzo, $999..got to decide soon coz ah keong is asking us the colour of our sofa and i think the ICI people will ask us too to match the paints..till now, me and hubby still cannot decide on color too..he prefers bright colors while i prefer pastel colors, always have conflicts ah..

rockbaby, when will your house be ready?

shuhann

btw, may i know what is the shape of your living room and dining room? mine is L shape, that's why i can't put a big sofa..

my_rock_baby

I think the renovation should be completed by 2nd or 3rd week of June. All my furniture going to delivery on 2nd of July. Like u, I also had a hard time searching for my dream sofa. All the L-shape that I seen are just not the combination I like, until I saw this legend set. Just cannot resist touching it and sitting on it. Even my son love to "nua" on the sofa haa. it is micro-fabric, so very comfortable
happy.gif

I went to see Barang Barang furniture also... but find their furniture pretty bulky.
My living and dining room are separated, both rectangular shape.

shuhann

hi rockbaby,
we are looking for the suede kind, waterproof..i think the same as micro fabric or no? not sure..will go down to OM tomorrow..there is one located at joo seng and one at imm, they should have the same show piece right? since i am going down to imm tomorrow, thot of going to the imm one..really hope to find a sofa tomorrow, getting tired of furniture window shopping ah..

yeah, you are right, furniture at barang barang quite bulky..

rockbaby,i am getting my electrical appliances and bathroom and kitchen accessories all from one shop..the problem now is if i were to ask them to deliver everything, where do i put the stuff like fridge, tv and washer? but if i don't ask them to deliver together with the bathroom and kitchen accessories, then patrick would not be able to install them for me..if 2 times delivery, would incurred double delivery charge..how? how did you manage them?

my_rock_baby

Hi shuhann,
I went to the Joo Seng branch, they have more sofa there. I am not sure whether the one in IMM is OM Cupboard (only sell wardrobe), because I cannot find one that sell sofa when I am in IMM few months ago (maybe I really cork eye). I suggest u call their branch to check first.
Yes, the legend sofa that I bought is micro-fabric (which is suede), suppose to be water proof. BUT according to the saleman, if u split coffee on it, sure got stain and u need to send for dry cleaning. If u going to the Joo Seng branch, look for a sals man call Micheal. He is really very professional and can explain to you in detail the sofa and recommend to you as per your budget. Note : There is a delivery charge of $80
sad.gif
... Actually that time I saw on newspaper that they are having clearance sale. I saw one set of dining table set (table with 4 chairs), display set selling $500+. So I place the order and then went downstais to see see look look sofa and finally bought this Legend sofa as well.... so at least the $80 delivery charge don't look so "not worthwhile" now
happy.gif

I bought my hood, hob, sink, bath accessories, stainless dustbin, taps (for bathrooms and sink), mirrors, wash basin, toilet bowl, etc from Asia Excel (in IMM also), free delivery. U should check out this shop also, price is cheap and the Boss is very friendly.
Normally if u buy more than $200, most shop will have free delivery already, u can check with that shop u buying from.
All these "small" items u can put in the household shelter and inform Patrick will do.
As for my fridge, TV and washer, I only getting them after my place is renovated. Because can't expect Patrick worker to move them around everytime right wowhaaaa.

my_rock_baby

My window grills are up
happy.gif

Here's some picture of the house with the painting and window grills.

286875.jpg

286876.jpg

286877.jpg

Master bedroom

286878.jpg

Bedroom

286879.jpg

286880.jpg

286881.jpg

286882.jpg

Dining room / living room

286883.jpg

New toilet bowl and wash basin

bearyhugs

Hi all,
Back from my custom. wedding on friday. Had a great time that day. We invited Patrick and company too ; think they had a great time "tekaning" my HB. Not sure why the loud voiced Uncle left Patrick too. In the first place, we did not specify anyone to do tiling for us and our tiling works turned our really good too.

Shuhann, my hse is the one with the bamboo. Can get Patrick to bring u to our hse for viewing if you wish to. Welcome. Will send u the link in a minute.