Help to plan Europe F & E (Munich, Prague, Paris, Rome?)

miralyn

I need help to plan Europe F & E trip,for 2 weeks from Mid-End May.

My HB is working in Munich & will extend 2weeks stay. Wish to visit Prague, Paris, Rome & hopefully London-if is possible to squeeze in our 2weeks trip.

Browsed alot threads on Europe F & E, getting confused as different combo of places.

Is Eurorail is good form of travel for inter-countries? And is it be cheaper by train then flight?

Really clueless as 1st time going europe, his co., has already booked return flight from Munich hence was thinking of not changing the boarding location (will cost extra right?).

rtan

Dear Miralyn,

Wow, first time going to Europe; have you seen the places you intend to go on a map? They are quite far from each other. Not only will your cost be high since they are ALL in different countries, but you will spend a lot of time travelling. Not the best use of two weeks, in my opinion.

My suggestion is pick two, at most three, cities / towns to visit, that are near to Munich (yes open-jaw plane tickets are usually ridiculously expensive), and use those as a base. Suggestions would be Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, or somewhere in Switzerland. Leave the rest for another trip.

miralyn

Hi Raymond, thks for reply. was hopin to see your posts after viewing so many of your input
happy.gif

I've zoned down to Prague, Paris, Rome, Venice-optional if time permits, last stop Munich for fight home.

Planning to spent average 2 days per place except paris 3 days. Just want to have a taste of each city as it is nearly not possible to fully experience unless staying there for months. Already tried to plan on flight vs train travel (Eurorail), however still haven't decide which mode (train + flight) or (flight only) is better.

Seems like the popular combo is France, Germany (+ Prague in some cases), Italy, as neighbouring countries.

Aware that you go to France on yearly basis?
There are so many sites to visit! Zone down on below key sites that I feel as 1st time visitor should experience, appreciate if you can help to suggest if ok or any sites shouldn't be missed?

-Notre Dame/ Ile St-Louis
-Louvre
-Eiffel Tower
-Chateau De Versailles
-Flea market: Marché aux Puces St-Ouen de Clignancourt OR Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves , which is better if time constraint?

Can you advise what is the difference between (airport) Paris Orly & Paris Charles de Gaulle location? Which will be nearer to above sites I want to visit?

And ideal mode of travel to aboves sites is by train (metro)?

rtan

Hi Miralyn,

Honestly skip Rome and just go to Venice. You can do Rome on another trip. Why? Because as everyone knows, Venice is a sinking city, and is completely full of tourists most times of the year. Except January, where it is slightly less crowded. So it's actually the best time to go to Venice.

Rome you can visit any time of the year.

While I agree that it takes time to appreciate each city, I do not agree with two days; two days in any city is NOT doing it justice. It's not Singapore you know. I presume your "two days" means one night; if so, it's definitely not enough. You'll hardly get to see anything. Consider at least three nights at each city.

There is no need to be kiasu and do as many cities as you can. It's not a competition. This is not the time to be Singaporean.

Well it's up to you of course but what I'm suggesting is to me, cheaper, less hectic, and a much better use of your money, rather than rushing here and there and not really seeing anything in the end. Remember also that the countries you are going to all speak DIFFERENT languages. You intend to learn German, Czech, Italian, and French all in one trip? Probably not, since most couldn't be bothered; but if you only needed to learn one or two languages it is at least doable.

It's your homework to Google around to find the prices of trains and flights. Be a good student lah. You don't expect the teacher to do all the work for you right?
happy.gif

The places you mentioned in Paris are all worth visiting. Each attraction takes at least half a day (don't forget you have to QUEUE up to buy tickets!); further adding to my point that it is just not possible to do all that in two (full) days.

I do not know about the two flea markets you mentioned though as there are literally dozens of them in Paris; the only one we went to was the Bastille marche on Sunday mornings. That one is quite large and is only frequented by mostly Parisians since it is not quite in the centre of the city. Anyway it is good that you already did some research; keep it up and post your findings queries here.

The best and cheapest way to travel around the city is by the metro.

With regards to locations of the tourist attractions and various airports, please check out the many map sites; http://maps.google.com if you have no idea where to start.

miralyn

Hi Raymond,

Thanks, I'm doing my reserach while posting here at the same time. Yes, flights already checked before I posted my query, hence confusion over which airport will be better choice. I'll bench mark by airport is near to city then, guess it would be the best way.

I've checked the sites you've posted already, just confused sometimes, probably overloaded with info from the numerous sites I've researched
happy.gif

Dont worry I'm not applying the typical S'porean Kiasuism. That is why only visting few key attractions, got to factor in the queue time like you mentioned & also travel time. Dont want to over exhaust ourselves on our 1st Europe trip. Dont have faith in my hubby to display same level of stamina like we women do for shoppin
happy.gif
Those attractions missed can be done on 2nd trip (hopefully possible).

Wish have more time per city, regretfully not possible due to work, definitely will stay min 3nites @ Paris to enjoy the atmosphere and people there
happy.gif

lovetotravel

Dear Miralyn,

Since you are visiting Munich, why don't u travel down to Switzerland instead.

Paris Orly mostly domestic flight & Paris Charles de Gaulle is mainly for international flight.

miralyn

Hi Raymond,

Have finished planning for my trip, just like check with you on accomdations in Paris
happy.gif

Is it better to get apartments rental then hotels? As my budget is max S$150/nite, I like the convenient of cooking if we wish to. Especially since our diet is more restricted, will be difficult to get food when out.

Saw from your other posting that Paris is accessible by foot & metro, but would like to know District 15=very far out,no so ideal right?

If District 1-11 should be alright?

vanillalatte

Hi Miralyn,

saw your posting.thought I'll give you some input. District 7, 8, 9 are the best districts in Paris but very expensive. But district 1 (which is hotel de ville - which is the nearest subway station) is not bad too and is cheaper than 7, 8 and 9. district 15 is no big deal but quite far out. I actually live in London but go to paris a fair bit. I hope this little bit of info helps!

miralyn

Hi vanillalatte,

Thank you for your input, was comparing apartment rentals hence checking district. I found 1 unit @ district 8, daily rate oni EUR85, feel is reasonable, will proceed with booking
happy.gif

merydith

Hi just wondering anybody can help me...

I m gg to fly to london together with my hb and tour around before he start course end sep

Can I know what are the places to visit for 14 days? And I have a budget of 2k each person for hotel and travel.
I am thinking of Rome, Paris. Anyone can share their itinerary?