Hainanese Brides, anyone???

loveangel

Hihi Ah-mais!!!
happy.gif

Li Ann: A Christmas gathering sounds good. I hope i'll be able to attend though...if i have passed my confinement, i'll bring Preston. Haha...How are you feeling nowadays?

Koko: How are you & baby Jovan?
happy.gif

Lena: It's really more fun (though a bit stressful) to do all the wedding planning yourself. But at the end of the day, it's worth it because your wedding is once-in-a-lifetime...why outsource & PAY for someone else to do it for you? Have fun!!!

Ivy: I also hope you guys can get your new place completed. CNY there sounds good to me too! Haha...

kokoyln

loveangel - both of us are fine. thks.. except Jovan is always full of gas.. he always colic at nite when he's abt to slep.. wrong timing man.. daytime angel and nite time monster.. ;p

cookiefleur

hi hainanese ladies!

am a hainanese bride getting married in jan 09 to a cantonese groom... need help on hainanese customary wedding practices!!

eg. does my mom have to cook mianxian w egg for us to eat before we leave for groom's place???

please help and thanks in advance for any advice!!!

kokoyln

hazuki, jovan has prebiotic from Paedi to smoothen his digestion then evening i will gripe water.. so far so good unless during the day someone else look after him..

cookiefleur - i think mianxian egg is most of the dialect will do. i'm hokkien, my hub is hainanese but i still eat this b4 i leave for groom's place..

Nellie or Huiz - think you 2 can help her better..

hazuki

koko, ic.. i am using multidophilus on ryan now. (probiotics) bot frm GNC. giving very small dose.

i gave ryan gripe water, he super hates it then. he'll vomit everything out including milk. so i stuck to ridwind for all wind probs. so far i've used 2bottles. have 1 spare now. hehs..

loveangel

Cookiefleur: My mom did that for me. I had mianxian with eggs for breakfast on my AD.
happy.gif

Pet: Where can i buy Ridwind? I bought a bottle of gripe water to standby for colic. Hw did you give Ryan the Ridwind? Directly?

kokoyln

welcome cookiefleur ;)

Loveangel- you can buy Ridwind from Gaurdian but INFACOL is a better one which is well-like by moms.. KKH give me Ridwind, it does not help my son at all. i give Gripe water, its helps n he love it.. U can feed directly using the dropper [5ml per time] or put into milk. feed before feeding [this is instruction from KK doctor]

btw if u give gripe water don follow the instruction of 5ml/1teaspoon.. it is too much.. 2-3ml mix with water will be good enough..

Pet - i guess diff baby diff taste bud.. hee

hazuki

yup.. i think diff baby diff tastebuds.
ridwind i give directly. i nv use dropper. cause difficult to empty dropper totally. i bot the 3ml & 5ml syringes. i used those.

kitty_li

I gave Louisa Gripe water. Put into her milk. but....she only took it once. Guess I'm lucky, no wind problems with her. Now, the Gripe water just sitting there....machiam BN like that. haha.

kitty_li

Ah mais and ah kor...

Are you all ok with a gathering in early Dec and another one near Christmas (if li ann is having one)...
happy.gif
Would like to invite you to Louisa's first birthday party on 7th Dec. Will send out the email invite when I'm done with it...
happy.gif

zapzap

Hey everybody,

It's me, your ‘刷‘å!

The end of 2008 is coming and it's also time for our yearly Xmas gathering.

Venue : My humble M (my house lah!!!)

Date : 13th Dec 2008

Time : evening (TBA)

Confirm your headcount by 28th Nov 2008!!!

I need to source and order buffet!!!!

FAQ :

1. I thought it'll be at Li Ann's new place?

Ans : She hasn't confirmed her date of moving in yet so tenatively CNY celebrations will be at her place.

To all the new ah mais in our forum, please bring your spouses along and join us.

loveangel

Lynette & Nellie...i won't be able to make it. So sad...so i'll just look forward to pics from the 2 gatherings i'm going to miss. Shall look forward to attending & seeing everyone at the CNY celebrations instead!

Koko: Thanks! I'll take note that only a small amount is necessary. How are you & baby Jovan?

zapzap

Atttendees :

1) Nellie & Shawn
2) Lynette, Leslie & Louisa
3) Ivy
4) Huiz & Eric
5) Sherrie & Wei How
6) Petrina, Raymond & Ryan

zapzap

Atttendees for xmas gathering:

1) Nellie & Shawn
2) Lynette, Leslie & Louisa
3) Ivy & Zachary
4) Huiz & Eric
5) Sherrie & Wei How
6) Petrina, Raymond & Ryan
7) Stacy, Steven & Samuel
8) Lance & Kelly

loveangel

Koko: Try to rest as much as you can during your ML though i know it's tough cos you still have to take care of Jolie. Hang in there!!!

kitty_li

hazuki,
okie...no worries. Enjoy the wedding...
happy.gif
That day seems like a good day for weddings? Just like 1 yr ago. hahaha.

A couple of frens and relatives also have wedding lunches to attend that day.

hazuki

CSI: yeah.. tat day have 2 weddings. church wedding - his colly & my classmate's wedding dinner. run 2 places. faintz.

ivied

Its so quiet here..
Maybe we should change the title to Hainanese Wives. hee..

Ask u all, how to get rid of corns in the feet ah? I guess being a mummy now, I have neglected my own well being and now my feet hurts terribly!

Everyone is talking about holidays now. I miss travelling!

kokoyln

hey Ivy, go to Watson or Guardian at the OTC or shoes section, there's a plaster called Corn Remover or Corn Plaster.. stick that on your corn for few days and u will see that the plaster will pulled the corn out.. i try before.. pretty good. remember to ensure the corn head is out if not it will come back again..

lettingo

hi all i am a 100% pure hainanese too
can speak, can listen, speak v well too
just had my wedding last mth, exactly one mth ago. didn't have any specific hainan wedding, but bought a pair of Jin Dei for ourselves to eat that day....

btw, glad to know you all, so many hainanese here. hubby is not hainanese. but i will still teach my kids hainan in future...

grandparents were from Jiaji (Kak Chek), Leia Sui (Ling Chun)... u all heard of Jiaji Ducks? as famous as Wenchang chickens de

i saw some ppl mentioned Hainanese guys very handsome, totally agreed because my dad and brother are very good looking...!!!

Grandpa was also a chef on ship... and he cooked well too, especially western food

zapzap

Hi Hui,

welcome to our thread.

I think for those of us who had gone to Hainan Island before should have tried Jiaji Ducks, Wenchang Chickens, Dongshan Goats and Hele Crabs.

We always have gatherings on and off. you can join us if you like.

lettingo

hi nellie

thanks for inviting me to your gatherings... do keep me posted.. if i am free, i will definitely go.....

anyone here knows how to cook Hainanese dishes?
those that Gim Moh restaurant had...

i would love to learn, but dunno where to learn from.... i asked my mum, she said she is not very familiar with hainanese dishes...

grandpa has passed away few years ago... a regret that i never learn all his recipes... haiz

xiaofeimei

OMG! I have been surfing this forum for so many years and I never knew that there is such an active thread with so many hainanese!!!
Found this thread only cos searching for hainanese wedding customs for my wedding this year end.

Just want to share something funny about myself....I am a pure hainanese as well...And I have been waiting to order Chin Deh for my own wedding since I was 16! LOL...i'm already 30 :p

xiaofeimei

BTW, does anyone knows what's the significance of changing into Tea Dress / Kua?

Can I just wear my WG all day? Thanks in advance.

poseidon_gal

ladies.. my FMIL will be coming over to my place to ÌáÇ× ( ti qin)..

I am the eldest in the family and my parents are not experience in this area.. what do hainanese normally ask for?? me is pure hainanese.. my HD is teochew..

any advice?

zapzap

Xiaofeimei,

Kua actually belongs to the Cantonese custom. It's really up to you whether you want to change into a tea dress/kua. Some brides want to make full use of their WG, they'll wear whole day (cos pay so much already) so it really depends on individual.

As for the big chin deh, I think can't find in SG already. The uncle had already passed away 2 years ago and he had no one to pass his skills to.

Poseidon_gal,

Hainanese has the simplest wedding custom. However, in SG, our traditional customs are mixed with other dialects'.

For my case (I'm also a pure hainanese), my mum requested :
1. Suckling Pig
2. Pin jin
3. Cakes
4. Oranges

Unlike Teochew and Cantonese, there's no Si Dian Jin in our custom but since, your HB is a Teochew, they might want to give you.

ivied

Just to add on, changing into a tea dress is a symbolism of hui niang jia. Traditionally, we should go back to our parents' home 3 days after getting married. But this is sort of abolished in our new generation.
The new brides now just change into a tea dress and head back home after serving tea to the in laws. So its like you get married in wedding dress and head home in another outfit.

So the tea dress can be just a dress or KUA which ever suits u.

xiaofeimei

Hi poseidon_gal,

This is a contact I got while surfing this forum...not sure whether it's still available as I have never tried calling.

63824352 - Neo Kian Guan Confectionary

Let me know if they do sell ok? Thanks! :)