Grand Banquet at Hotel Royal @ Queens

alicia_yong

w3n> They renovated their rooms already, ballroom will have some changes, but exact renovation for ballroom unknown yet. Restaurant not sure whether renovating. We jus had our food tasting last fri (after our rom). The comments from our families r great! They dun haf much opinion on the food, even my dad, who's a picky eater, oso said not bad. Heard tat the new mrt at bras basah gonna be operating beginning of next yr, so for ppl w/o transportation, it'll be easily accessible for them. =)

kiam

Hi I am interested to confirm their restaurant also.
But wonder we need to pay extra for the ballroom?
cos i dun like the restaurant layout as i have been
there for my cousin wedding dinner.
But their food is not bad and keep refill my red wine.
I was thinking for holding for AD at there @ 2010...

kiam

Thanks Orange...
Another Question how many tables can the ballroom hold?
I heard from my friend that the ballroom can only hold 30 tables max...

kiam

Thank Elvis...
I have booked my AD in 2010.
Cos really value for money and their manager, Andy is very helpful and friendly.
Now just looking for a good Bridal package and then count downto my AD.

alicia_yong

Hui Hian> Hi! I oso booked them for my banquet next yr liao. Wen's ur AD? Mine's 21 Mar 2010. =) I went there for food tasting after my rom, food-wise, gd. Even my dad, who's a picky eater, oso said ok. =)

kiam

Alicia> thanks i have been there for my cousin wedding dinner. can say FU Lin Men is valued for money..
On 8th Aug 2009, i will rom on the private room in Fu Lin Men. Me and HTB are happy with their service of their senior manager, Andy who help us a lot in the rom issues like find a JP.

kittydia

Hi Orange

im interested in taking your pkg, but I might need to do some adjustments to it on the date and perhaps, request to see if i can it in the ballroom.

Would you email your package details to me at [email protected]?

Please do let me know how much you've paid and how much you're willing to let go?

Do provide me your name & ctc no., am going to meet Andy this Sat and if the adjustments are possible + I like the place, will tk over the pkg from u yar =)

drizzles54

Am tinking of FLM as well, tink the ALL-IN package is attractive. Anyone tried asking if we can have our own theme for the deco? Cos the deco in their web not so nice... Any min tables to get their ballroom at the Hotel Royal?
Tks in advance for the advices!

Hapi prep ev one!!!

kiam

Drizzles54> actually there is a choice in the decor part. They need a min of 25 tables at Hotel Royal ballroom...

Actually, the manager, Andy have a list of dec with him and u can go down to meet him. He will show the latest picture of the deco...

When is ur AD??
Mine is 2010...

acmm_85

Hi All,

I went for my food tasting in May recently.
Thumbs up for the food and Service so far!

My husband and i had trouble deciding for Yam paste or Mango sago as dessert. But Andy was very proactive to let us try both.

Mango sago was indeed very yummy (more suitable for youngsters), Yam Paste is also very good not too dry ( more suitable for old people) end up we choose yam paste.

I hope the food and service will be as good on my AD.

As for the Deco Theme, no doubt FLM they have their own deco, i believe Andy is willing to work with us on our theme in mind.

My wedding is on 3oct09, will update all on some pics. =)

alicia_yong

Adeline> I had my food tasting in March too! Food is great! =D Very satisfied wif their food & services so far! =)

Kiam> So long nv see u in BS thread le, where did u go? Btw, wen's ur AD in 2010?

kiam

Alicia> My Ad s 25 sept 2010... But my rom is 8 aug 2009... so now busy with the final checkup for rom

ahgirl_

may i know where it is located at.. tried searching for it over the weekends but i cant find..
thanks in advance =)

tirangel

Hi Kiam, your AD is on 25/09/10 at FLM @ Queens? did u book the ballroom or the restaurant? any chance of letting go ur pkg? =P we happen to hav the same AD day but FLM is booked on that date, i suppose one of them is u? haha..

kiam

Hi Chua Guo Jin,

My Ad is 25 Sept 2010 and i am the ones who book the ballroom. But i know this date is super popoluar as most of the hotels are full at that day. So i book this date since April this yrs.
sorrie i still like this date...

jfy

Hi, anyone hold 15 table at FLM? Dunno the benefit will change or not if we have 15 table only. Any advice?

ellentg

Hi Jeffry, I have inquired on 12 tables before (for FLM @ Queens), the perks will be quite different if you can't meet the min. table requirement.

losh2909

Hi all,

I heard tat there will b many wedding events tat will be hold during the wkends till the end of the yr. Perhaps u all may wanna go n take a lok at it.

kacie

HI, i intend to hold my wedding at FLM. I'm quite concerned for their service , room and etc. As the hotel looks quite old and tear down . I doesn't want to give my guest a bad impression . Anyone can share with me ? Thx! My e-mail is [email protected].

alicia_yong

KaiXin> I've seen the room at the hotel. I like the room, but it's not very big compared to other hotel's bridal suite, but i find tat we onli need it for sleeping after the wedding, hence whether the room big or small doesnt really matter to us. They had jus renovated the rooms not long ago (finished reno all rooms this yr). As for the service, so far i'm still satisfied wif them & their food is nice, had my food tasting during my ROM tis yr March (my AD is next yr March) & all of us said the food is great! Jus hope tat on AD it'll be as good too!

ellentg

Kaixin, the hotel actually looks quite ok from outside, cos they took over the building from Allson Hotel and had a make-over for the exterior just about 4 years back.

Had lunch there before and their food is quite good
happy.gif

weixiang_06

i went for a wedding at this place, the ballroom by fu lin men... the food is really not nice...

not only that, aircon wasn't working.. too many pillars.. ended up being a hungry and angry man..

kiam

Alicia> so long never talk to you...
how is ur prep in AD... finally my turn to choose
WG and EG in MBR liao ... Any advise...

alicia_yong

Kiam> Ya lor, din see u in MBR thread at all.. hahaha! My prep abt 7788 liao.. But guest lists not out yet. hahaha! Advise ah, no leh... Tink co-ordinator will let u try some gowns to see wich type suitable for u den from there choose more to try lor.. Ur co-ordinator who huh? How's ur ROM?

kiam

Alicia> now i have a slight pro as my hus will be posting to china
so i need to delay my dinner
so i am find ppl to take over my package...
any one interested i am willing to let go at 1.9K ...
can email me at [email protected]

weixiang_06

20th Decemeber 2009. It was reported in the news.. Shin Ming Daily. A 4 star hotel in city experienced blackout, leading to the calling off of a wedding banquet. To summarise, the hotel experienced power failure at 530pm. Guests started coming at around 630pm, only to discover the wedding banquet was in darkness. Guests nonetheless still sat inside the banquet in darkness. However at 8pm, hotel staff informed the couple that they were unable to restore the electrical power, alternative arrangements were made for them to transfer to another hotel in the vicinity, assuring them that buffet dinner will be made for them.

Upon arrival to the alternative hotel, the buffet wasn't ready. Instead, the guests were greeted with toasted bread, as the buffet food wasn't ready. It was only till 10+pm that the buffet was ready, however the food served was equivalent of a normal home buffet, with a budget of $10+/pax... I looked at the photos posted by Shin Ming daily... The buffet food was atrocious, a snapshot of the original hotel banquet venue was printed.. However, i wasn't able to identify the hotel nor the venue.. Does anyone know of the place?

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif The management attributed to a power failure in the generator. The general manager for the hotel was uncontactable?? as he was overseas, according to Shin Ming..

weixiang_06

extracted from a car forum...

quoted from a car forum..

is actually a budget hotel located in the town area, previously I think it was named Strand hotel and was bought over by Hotel Royal Group and refurbished...

The main problem is the communication between the two sister hotels. Since the newer one has a power outage, shouldn't the banquet organiser be quick-thinking enough to quickly arrange for the banquet to be held at its sister hotel as a secondary measure in case the power cannot be reconnected? furious.gif

Worse thing is that the guests were made to wait at the stuffy restaurant and after transferred to Hotel Royal, to wait for the buffet to start. Come on, a buffet can be done in less than 3 hours from the time the power outage was discovered at 5.30pm as stated by the wedding couple. Its not as if it was a 100 table dinner...shakehead.gif

The hotel choosed to evacuate their in house hotel guests as priority instead of rendering help to the helpless couple. Imagine the chaos for them and the anxiety of waiting if their wedding are going to be boycotted...boy...that was mind-boggling!!! It was a lifetime joyfulness for the couple and they had to endure such situation. Although the whole fault cannot be blamed on the hotel due to the power outage but secondary measures can be out in place, as Hotel Royal is not a new comer in the hotel industry. Worse thing is that the hotel staff mentioned that the GM is away on a "working trip"...WTF??? where is the assistant manager? restaurant manager?CEO? furious.gif

It was indeed a very unforgettable experience for the couple. If I were them, not only I would ask them to waive off the charges of the dinner, but to compensate for the humiliation and the inconvenience caused. This hotel would be in my blacklist too for my wedding next yeay...although I am hoping to book MBS ballroom... sly.gif

Remember the recent incident at Hilton Hotel? the hotel out of goodwill waived off the $18k charges for the victim's wife, although it is a totally unrelated case. ...

ellentg

Just a note, Hotel Royal @ Queens was not from Strand Hotel... Strand Hotel is still around. It was formerly part of Allson Hotel - Allson Hotel used to have 2 wings and sold one to Hotel Royal. Hotel Royal @ Queens was up some time in 2004/2005...

I guess whatever the compensation is should be a matter between the couple and the hotel... just btw, my friend from hotel industry told me before that the difference bewteen 5-star and 4-star hotel is that 5-star hotels are more generous and willing to give compensation and perks. you pay a premium for this kind of service.

For the couples that have already booked this place... Relax and have an enjoyable AD
happy.gif
, and trust that the hotel will do their best to avoid similar incidents in future.

weixiang_06

well, i would like to add.

i attended a close friend's wedding dinner in May 09.. It was also at the "Grand Ballroom" Hotel Royal @ Queens. We are situated at a corner, where our vision is totally blocked my big pillars. Secondly, the aircon was not working. We were literally fuming. In fact, i made it known to the 3 waitresses who were serving us. Nothing was done. Half an hour, i went forward to grab the captain or what seems like manager, she told me she will looked into it. She got back to me saying the aircon is spolit or under maintenance, hence not cold.. Zzzz.. Thirdly, the ceiling was dripping of water. We had to help the waitress to shift our table and chairs to another location where there was no water dripping from the ceiling..

initially, i did not want to comment. For pete's sake, Hotel Royal @ Queens 4 star? Looks more like 3 star to me. The food menu starts from $498, so cheap, all in, free flow of red-wine hard liquor and beer.

Tasted red wine and beer, mmz.. shall not comment. I think u get my drift.

No wonder people always saying, pay peanuts get monkeys..

weixiang_06

did i mention that the food served then was cold, not fresh. where i nearly puke out the fish i was eating. got the very muddy taste...

of coz its good, if you consider the price of $498.. Free flow of everything.. Hard to find @ this price.

weixiang_06

even restaurant can't beat the price of $498.. unless you looking at ah yat abalone where the cheapest is $398 in a restaurant.

sorrie my two cents.

weixiang_06

extracted from flowerpod

Digistras
Rating: 0
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts

post 59 minutes ago
Post #23

Group Icon

Skin Type: Combination

Podders Ratings!:
Positive: 0 • Neutral: 0 • Negative: 0

Wa lau Eh!!! If it happens to me...I make sure I sue them till they teng kor (pants drop)!!!

But nevertheless...The couple should have done some research before booking that place as it wasn't the 1st time this thing had happened. Feel sad for them though...

vilopup

Hi BTBs

I am sure such situations of a blackout is hardly common in Singapore and it may not have happened to them before as well.

Thus, it may be understandable that they are not able to react in the best way for the guests as well.

Much as the place does not sound very expensive, there are people who are satisified customers of the venue.

At the same time, not everyone can afford the same level of luxury for their wedding. It will always be the best to have what each bride or groom wants for a wedding but reality is such that there may be trade offs. Couples do not want to host a "peanut" banquet unless they (1) genuinely love the place and (2) cannot find location due to last min emergencies or (3)not enough budget. So, if its our friends getting married, the food is seriously not the biggest issue. The most important is to be happy for them. Unless they are not close, then there is a choice not to even turn up and get upset.

Thus, for the couples who have alreayd signed up with them, just check on their backup plans in the future of similar emergencies and then relax and enjoy your big day.

I am a BTB too, so i koe how detrimental an anxious bride can be to people around her (think Bridezilla). So relax and be happy with what we have!