kristyy

There's also Madly Gems which is quite popular. My fiance (then bf) and I went there together, but their range is quite limited (maybe our budget too low for them) and it's super ex!! Quoted us like $3-4K for tanzanites, and not even including the ring design yet.

With gemstones you also have to be very careful and do your research, because there's so many different types. And it's not like GIA diamonds where everything is very standardised. So you have to know what you want, and not get smoked by the sales pitch and the terms they use (e.g. heated vs unheated sapphires, what colours are the best, etc).

My own ring was from a private jeweller recommended by a friend. They actually helped me source the sapphire, and created the ring design from scratch! And much cheaper than most retail stores here too. Can PM me if you want the contact.

binniepooh

There's also Madly Gems which is quite popular. My fiance (then bf) and I went there together, but their range is quite limited (maybe our budget too low for them) and it's super ex!! Quoted us like $3-4K for tanzanites, and not even including the ring design yet.

With gemstones you also have to be very careful and do your research, because there's so many different types. And it's not like GIA diamonds where everything is very standardised. So you have to know what you want, and not get smoked by the sales pitch and the terms they use (e.g. heated vs unheated sapphires, what colours are the best, etc).

My own ring was from a private jeweller recommended by a friend. They actually helped me source the sapphire, and created the ring design from scratch! And much cheaper than most retail stores here too. Can PM me if you want the contact.

Yeah. I won't suggest Madly Gems as their prices are super expensive. No idea why too! Agree with kristyy. You must know what you want before going. Like what gemstone, cut, unheated or heated and your budget.

I do know what I really want hence it is easier for me when I go for my gemstone shopping.

Clovers

Yes I also came across Madly Gems and they seemed like quite a high end store! Thanks for your advices regarding the need to do sufficient research! I think I’m a bit indecisive when it comes to the gemstone, but for now sapphire seems like my first choice, only hoping that it won’t burst our Budget.

Based on your experiences, is it possible to get a good quality sapphire ring (unheated, need not be v huge) a budget below 3k? Are pink/yellow/mixed colours’ sapphire of much higher costs compared to the blue ones?

I’m pretty worried we’ll be swayed by the sales pitching part too as every store can rave about how good quality their gemstones are, plus the lighting in stores may create ‘illusions’:p

binniepooh

If you are ok with just a simple ring band, it is quite possible to have it below your budget of 3k. I am not sure about the pricing of different colours sapphire. I only do know that both blue and pink colours' sapphires are more popular.

Gioia Fine Jewellery do bring us out to see the sapphire brilliance under sunlight. Don't worry. They are very nice and ethical. Sadly I was not into any of their sapphires that time and I don't want to wait for new stocks to come in as each gemstones are different. I think it's better for you to go down and view it yourself. You might be surprise that what you want might not be what you like. I wanted a pear cut initially but eventually went for a round cut :p

kristyy

Yes I also came across Madly Gems and they seemed like quite a high end store! Thanks for your advices regarding the need to do sufficient research! I think I’m a bit indecisive when it comes to the gemstone, but for now sapphire seems like my first choice, only hoping that it won’t burst our Budget.

Based on your experiences, is it possible to get a good quality sapphire ring (unheated, need not be v huge) a budget below 3k? Are pink/yellow/mixed colours’ sapphire of much higher costs compared to the blue ones?

I’m pretty worried we’ll be swayed by the sales pitching part too as every store can rave about how good quality their gemstones are, plus the lighting in stores may create ‘illusions’:p

From what I know, padparadscha sapphire is the most expensive colour (it's like a mix of pink and orange), followed by royal blue. The other colours should actually be cheaper, I think you should be able to get a 1.5-2ct pink or yellow sapphire under $3K :)

Clovers

If you are ok with just a simple ring band, it is quite possible to have it below your budget of 3k. I am not sure about the pricing of different colours sapphire. I only do know that both blue and pink colours' sapphires are more popular.

Gioia Fine Jewellery do bring us out to see the sapphire brilliance under sunlight. Don't worry. They are very nice and ethical. Sadly I was not into any of their sapphires that time and I don't want to wait for new stocks to come in as each gemstones are different. I think it's better for you to go down and view it yourself. You might be surprise that what you want might not be what you like. I wanted a pear cut initially but eventually went for a round cut :p
Yes I understand the part on after trying we may not like what we thought we like! Okay thanks so much for the advices! Will find a day to go down to the stores to check them out :)

Clovers

From what I know, padparadscha sapphire is the most expensive colour (it's like a mix of pink and orange), followed by royal blue. The other colours should actually be cheaper, I think you should be able to get a 1.5-2ct pink or yellow sapphire under $3K :)
That’s great to know that it’s highly likely we can keep to our budget! Thanks so much for the sharing :)

solitudeavenue

Hello! Do you mind sharing about the private jeweller?

Nyx0413

Your rings all look so beautiful! Can't wait to receive mine~

There's something to be said about getting engaged and receiving a beautiful diamond that's testament to one's love story:)

MarvelHero

Maybe you can choose a color that you like, or match your skin tone, or even your birthstone. Also think about the ring colors, whether it should be white gold, or rose gold, or yellow gold?

I customized a blue sapphire engagement ring from eClarity, it has 2 side diamonds. The design is unique and vintage, and we specifically asked to have it in rose gold for an even more artistic look.

ringostar

here's mine! customized with baguettes at the side

Attachments

• 122842235_10224981938714375_4534231510960565083_o.jpg
    122842235_10224981938714375_4534231510960565083_o.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 17

allyssaace

Hi Kristine, do you mind sharing the private jeweller stall too? I wana shop for our wedding band :D Thank you !

lahrrichard56

you can use Sapphires as engagement stones but one of my friend recently silicone wedding ring on that day because the glossy metal bead looks absolutely stunning with the silicone, both of the materials blend with each other and complement the color scheme. The design and fit of the ring ensure comfortability and breathability. so i could be a good choice as well.

aamaterasu

Hello SB,

I have a much lower budget. Does anyone know where I can get a sapphire ring that is in the hundreds? My SO recently showed me a ring that cost only $60 that she really likes. We don't really care about ring but just to get something that is more respectable. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

cyjx

Hello SB,

I have a much lower budget. Does anyone know where I can get a sapphire ring that is in the hundreds? My SO recently showed me a ring that cost only $60 that she really likes. We don't really care about ring but just to get something that is more respectable. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
You can try Glamira or Diamondere (Diamondere is more expensive though I personally think their designs are better). However, these are online overseas stores so you gotta be careful. Anyway I don't think it'll be an issue since your budget is low. Honestly I'm not sure if you can find a Sapphire ring in the hundreds though.

bluehei

Hi Kristy, could you PM me the contact too? Thank you! :)

Adelphine

Hi Kristy, can you pm me the private jeweller that you went to? Thank you ☺️

polofemilimc46

Hey!
my friend had a similar ring, I liked it so much! maybe you will also like some similar option
also recommend looking at Tiffany's ;)

Attachments

• nature-inspired-14k-18k-solid-gold-moonstone-ring-artisan-leaf-promise-engagement-ring-fine-be...jpg
    nature-inspired-14k-18k-solid-gold-moonstone-ring-artisan-leaf-promise-engagement-ring-fine-be...jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 5
  • QKE1094Y_Opal__01333.1510098793.jpg
    QKE1094Y_Opal__01333.1510098793.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 5

jen555

Hi Kristy! Mind sending me the contact too? :) Thanks a lot!

hamandcheese

Hi everyone, I’m in a bit of a dilemma and need some advice.

My bf and I have been looking at engagement rings - We decided early on that we would be getting a 1ct ring and so far all the shops we have been to meets our budget for a 1ct diamond.

However, we recently decided to pay a visit to a more “premium” brand because we just wanted to see what’s the difference between their diamonds and the other shops we have been to. I also figured that we should at least see what “the best” looks like so we know whether we are getting a good quality stone from the other shops.

So long story short - my bf and I were pretty blown away by the quality of the stone at the premium shop. The difference was really night and day! Their diamonds were full of fire and brilliance because the diamonds were cut to the exact proportions of a super ideal cut diamond. It sparkled like mad with lots of rainbow flashes whereas the stones at the other shops we went to kinda looks very dull now in comparison. The thing is 1ct at this more premium place costs double the price which makes it wayyyyyyy out of budget.

At this premium place we are only able to afford up to 0.7ct.......my bf is really keen on this better quality stone as he says what’s the point of having a big dull looking stone when you can have a smaller one which sparkles better?

My question to you ladies is, would you rather downsize and get a better quality stone or just get the bigger one (although it looks more dull)? To be honest 1 carat does sound a lot better than 0.7ct :(

Hope to hear from some of you! Thank you! :)

P/S: Both the diamonds at the cheaper shop and the premium shop have the same specs - just that the premium one is a super ideal cut whereas the other is just an ordinary triple excellent cut hence the huge price difference.

Pwala

It all comes down to your individual preference. If you’re blown away by a specific stone, then it must be it. When it comes to diamond with a specified budget, decide which C you can let go.
All the best with your engagement ring

lynnielhy

Hey OP,

Not sure if you managed to come to a decision yet but my 05. cents below.

Short answer is - trusting your heart and see which makes you happy is best.

But, I personally might lean towards the 1ct for a few reasons:

1. like you said 1 carat always "sounds" abit better than saying zero point ...
2. it is easier to see / spot a bigger diamond than a shinier one for the layman. most of the time in a split second when we see other people's diamond we might think "wow that's big", rather than " wow the brilliance of that diamond great"
3. brilliance / fire / sparkle are also usually dependent on lighting and angle. You might not always be under the ideal lighting so you must be prepared that the shine may not be as you expected 80% of the time (like you see in the store).

of course these are somewhat arbitrary / superficial reasons XD , but i hope it helps a little.

TazLyn

Agree with Pwala.
It all depend on individual preference.
Design, quality, size and even brand etc.

For myself, I go for design first. Quality/size doesn't really bother me.
I think for most when see it, wont even know the size of the C, or even the brand of it.

carrothead

late reply, but usually the high end shops have lighting and decor purposely curated to make the jewellery look amazing.

Catin

You have to carefully compare the specs . If the difference is small in terms of the other C but visually is so different .. could it be due to lighting . I would go for 0.7

juanile

Which brand you'd love to have as your engagement ring ?
Which aspect is the most important ?
What does an engagement ring mean for you?
It will takes you 2 minutes to finish a survey about luxury jewelry an engagement ring.
survey.png

Last edited:

Carrie22

Hello, I need your advice for the engagement ring:
Would you rather go for branded or non branded ring and why?

I am hesitating between Tiffany and local jeweller...

Also if you have any good address for local jewellery that I can check would be amazing!

Thank you for your help :)

Tania07

Hey! I was considering between branded and local jeweller. I'm happy that I went with local jeweller - Autium Jewellery at 10 Hoot Kiam Rd. I went to a few local jewellers before I met the one at Autium.

The rest I went to that was nice and budget friendly but didnt have the stone i love:
  1. Tessellate Co.
  2. Annadoraluxe
  3. Astrid Sparkler Jewellery
Hope this helps you!

Carrie22

Hey! I was considering between branded and local jeweller. I'm happy that I went with local jeweller - Autium Jewellery at 10 Hoot Kiam Rd. I went to a few local jewellers before I met the one at Autium.

The rest I went to that was nice and budget friendly but didnt have the stone i love:
  1. Tessellate Co.
  2. Annadoraluxe
  3. Astrid Sparkler Jewellery
Hope this helps you!
Thank you for your help :)

madbride

Yoooooo! Here to share my stunning engagement ring! Don't underestimate the beauty of emerald cut diamonds!

Attachments

• 20220322_162044844_iOS.jpg
    20220322_162044844_iOS.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 4

singpo

The first thing to consider when buying engagement rings is size. You want to make sure that the ring fits comfortably on your finger. If it's too tight, it won't look good. If it's too loose, it'll fall off your hand.

Quality is everything! A high-quality diamond will last forever. However, if you're looking for something affordable, you may not have to worry about quality.

So when you buy an engagement ring you should consider both size and quality.

Last edited:

singpo

I think, if you are planning to buy an engagement ring then I would suggest you can go with a branded engagement ring.

tansirui

Hello! When deciding where to purchase your engagement ring from, perhaps it would be best to ask yourself what is the most important thing to you about the ring - can be size of the stone, a specific type of stone (e.g. some ladies do not like diamonds, they want a specific gemstone like sapphire/emerald/ruby), the design of the ring (e.g. some ladies have a very specific idea of what the ring must look like, and this design is not readily available), or even the brand name of the ring (e.g. some ladies just want to be able to say "Oh I have a Tiffany engagement ring!").

Once you know what is most important to you, then the search for an engagement ring becomes easier due to you already knowing your parameters. For me, the size of the diamond and the ring setting was the most important to me, so I picked a local jeweller that allowed me to customise the ring setting and also pick the diamond. I also have friends who wanted a non-traditional engagement ring with more personal gemstones, and they ended up going to a very boutique jeweller.

For coloured gemstones, you can try Madly Gems (but this is higher-end, and could potentially cost more), for customisable diamond rings you can try Michael Trio (which is where I got my engagement ring from).

Hope this helps!

singpo

I know a diamond is a traditional ring but nowadays colored gemstone rings are also popular. Recently I bought an alexandrite ring online from GemsNY for my fiance.

Ryzo

Hello!

I would like to know more about everyone’s engagement ring setting experience, especially if you bought your diamond/gemstone online!
My partner and I are looking to purchase a sapphire from a lapidary in Canada and would like to set it in Singapore (Estimated 2k for setting). However, most places we checked do not set gemstones that weren’t purchased from their own shop (storis, lingjewelry, lesprecieux, etc). We hope to be able to source for a nice place/jeweler who can help out with this!

Thanks!

Reisuism

Hi lovely ladies,

wanted to seek your advice. The bf and I have been looking around for engagement rings. We’ve visited a few jewellers and likely to go with either Ling Jewellery or Poh Kim. I’m thinking of a simple diamond solitaire ring. I’m pretty happy to go with Poh Kim which is cheaper, but just wondering if anyone has any experience to share. I’m just concerned if there might be any craftsmanship / quality issues. Thanks in advance!

tansirui

Hello!

If you're not particular about having a mined diamond, you can consider a lab grown diamond too! I got mine from Michael Trio (it's a diamond solitaire as well), and it was significantly more affordable than mined diamonds. I personally cannot see any difference between the 2 kinds of diamonds, and have gotten many compliments on how sparkly my lab diamond is. You can also pick your own setting, so it's totally customisable for you. So if price is a major factor, you can consider this route. There are many options available for lab grown diamonds fyi.

But if having a mined diamond is important to you, then you may want to consider the kind of setting you'd like. E.g. do you want it to be a high set or low set diamond? The thickness of the band affects the durability of the ring too, so just something to keep in mind.

Hope the above helps in your decision :)

qianwensims

New to this forum, would like to share our experience in customizing our engagement ring.

I initially wanted an alexandrite cos it was my birth stone, but at the first jewelry store we went I quickly realized colored gemstones look very different in person vs pictures. I fell in love with a pear-shape paraiba tourmaline they had but it was wayyy too expensive ($10K+ for 1.5ct). We ended up finding a pretty oval paraiba at Autium Jewelry for an affordable price ($5K for 1.2ct)

So a few tips for other couples:
1) Keep an open mind at your first jewelry store visit, look at a variety of stones - you may end up falling in love with another colored stone from the one you've always imagined having in your head :)

2) Think about finding the perfect main stone that 'speaks' to both of you first. Don't feel bad about shopping at a few stores because that's the beauty of natural gems, no 2 stones look the same and you may take awhile to find 'the one'.

3) Budget constraints - consider deeply color, hardness, size and cut of the stone.
-For those that love a specific color (e.g. blue), ask them to show you all types of blue stones so you can select a pretty hue/tone. But don't forget that hardness (sapphire vs aquamarine) would affect how often and how careful you should be when wearing the engagement ring​
-While I really wanted a pear or trillion cut stone so it doesn't look too 'common', I understood that I have to compromise on different aspects of the stone given the pricing. The price increases depending on its neon color intensity, so I decided that as long as the stone had a really distinct beautiful color I didn't mind that it was smaller or not of my ideal shape.​
-If your perfect main stone under your budget, you can then ask the designer what side stones should be added to 'bling' it up! ;)

4) Try wearing all metal colors first (yellow gold, rose gold, white gold) - while engagement rings are for us ladies, I wanted mine to be stacked with our wedding band. White gold was good on him but not me so we went with yellow gold which looked good for both our skin tones.

5) Design - look at tons of ring photos and keep 3-5 pictures for reference. Let the designer know what part of the ring you love and why (e.g. I told him I liked filigree details for a more vintage feel) so they can customize something to your preference. We asked him for 3 designs, one of which gives him free rein over what he thinks is most suitable for the ring with chose.

We ended up with this and I can't stop taking pictures of it <3
https://www.autium.sg/collections/rings/products/celios-vintage-wavy-stackable-ring-set-2022-227

Excited to share my customized engagement ring!

1.2ct Paraiba tourmaline shines differently in day light and indoor light <3

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-29 at 10.57.36.jpg

IMG_20221228_222956_edit_968150213269458.jpg

Happy ring hunting to all the couples out there!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-12-29 at 10.57.36.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-12-29 at 10.57.36.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 14

singpo

GemsNY has the perfect engagement ring setting for you. Whether you are choosing a timeless diamond or a colorful gemstone, they have the ideal engagement ring setting that will shine as bright. A momentous moment deserves nothing less than pure excellence, our collection of engagement ring settings ensures that you are able to present the ideal ring.

singpo

Hello

Looking to invest in a diamond but hesitant about the labor-intensive process? Or maybe you've heard about the recent trend of labs creating diamonds in a laboratory setting? When it comes to diamonds, what's the difference between mined diamonds and lab-grown diamonds?

While both mined diamonds and lab-grown diamonds are jewelry-grade gemstones, there are a few key differences that set them apart.

Mined diamonds have been extracted from the earth, while laboratory-grown diamonds are created in a controlled environment.

Mined diamonds generally cost more than lab-grown diamonds, as the expenses associated with mining a diamond go into its overall quality (including the quality of the diamond's surface). Lab-grown diamonds, on the other hand, aren't constrained by geographic or environmental factors, so their prices can be higher due to their lack of environmental impact.

Despite these differences, mined diamonds and lab-grown diamonds are both high-quality gemstones that will enhance your jewelry collection.

I hope this will help you choose the best diamonds from both of them. one thing also I would like to tell you, GemsNY is the best place where you browse various types of diamond rings as per your needs.

fitz866

I bought my engagement ring from eClarity. They have great diamonds and settings, and their personalized service made the process very simple. I like also that they educate their customers about diamonds and the many design styles. I recommend eClarity for anyone looking for a high-quality ring

cmq14

Bros, I like to buy a proposal ring to propose, please share any tips and advice, very much appreciated