Disadvantages of being a divorcee?

taming_the_mind

Hello everyone,

Besides possible social stigma, are there any legal/practical disadvantages of being a divorcee in Singapore?

Was looking at both annulment and divorce, and although an annulment sounds better on paper, is there any practical difference (the time required for a divorce aside)?

Thanks!

uglydude

Both are the same...just a quick search on ROM and they both shows that you been married before...only good thing about annulment is that you can declare yourself as single....but then again....what's the use if they still keep a record for everyone to see....:D

taming_the_mind

Thanks ugly dude.

Thinking about it, I suppose there may be issues with HDB subsidies if one was already granted to the first marriage. I am guessing it won't be if you remarry. Not sure though ...

Beyond that, I can't think of any other reasons. Even if you annul the marriage, the the ones closest to you (friends, relatives) will know you guys have split. There's a good chance they would have attended your wedding too. So the stigma, if it's gonna be there, will still be present.

I suppose the biggest benefit of an annulment is that there's no 3 year waiting period to get remarried. But unless there's a third party, I don't think most who have come out of a marriage will want to get married again so soon.

Thanks ugly dude.

Thinking about it, I suppose there may be issues with HDB subsidies if one was already granted to the first marriage. I am guessing it won't be if you remarry. Not sure though ...

Beyond that, I can't think of any other reasons. Even if you annul the marriage, the the ones closest to you (friends, relatives) will know you guys have split. There's a good chance they would have attended your wedding too. So the stigma, if it's gonna be there, will still be present.

I suppose the biggest benefit of an annulment is that there's no 3 year waiting period to get remarried. But unless there's a third party, I don't think most who have come out of a marriage will want to get married again so soon.
I don't know where you get your information. You can remarry once you get your Final Judgement. There is no 3 years waiting period for both annulment and divorce. Other than social stigma, your future gf-to-be might also avoid you when she knows that you are divorced. Some parents would also disapprove their child marrying a divorcee. In terms of HDB subsidies, once you divorced, the subsidy would remain with you unless you buy a new flat for which you would have to pay back the resale levy.

Other than that, not much difference other than your colleagues and relatives talking behind your back thinking you might have done something wrong that results in a broken marriage. You may also be traumatized on the extent of reaching an agreement with your ex-spouse on ancillary matters. If possible, please try to reconcile.

taming_the_mind

I don't know where you get your information. You can remarry once you get your Final Judgement. There is no 3 years waiting period for both annulment and divorce. Other than social stigma, your future gf-to-be might also avoid you when she knows that you are divorced. Some parents would also disapprove their child marrying a divorcee. In terms of HDB subsidies, once you divorced, the subsidy would remain with you unless you buy a new flat for which you would have to pay back the resale levy.

Other than that, not much difference other than your colleagues and relatives talking behind your back thinking you might have done something wrong that results in a broken marriage. You may also be traumatized on the extent of reaching an agreement with your ex-spouse on ancillary matters. If possible, please try to reconcile.

Oh I meant that you need to be separated for 3 years before you can divorce. Before then, you're still legally married. But with an annulment, you can marry sooner because the paperwork takes a few months, based on what I've seen. So it's possible to do so within the year.

sadman2009

I think if the divorce is based on mutual consent and if there is no contest of whatever, it can be done within a few months.

Oh I meant that you need to be separated for 3 years before you can divorce. Before then, you're still legally married. But with an annulment, you can marry sooner because the paperwork takes a few months, based on what I've seen. So it's possible to do so within the year.
There are about 5 ways that you can request for divorce. Separate 3 years is one of the reasons. There are also unreasonable behaviour and adultery so it does not mean that you must be separated for 3 years before divorcing. You can marry sooner with annulment but if you have a HDB flat, you cannot sell in the open market if you annul your marriage. HDB would take back your flat. It is also not easy to get annulment.

meimei1601

If its a clean separation (no house, no kids, no claims, no request, no demand), annulment is advisable, as its faster. takes only 6 mths for me from signing the paper to received of the final judgement. But must take this into consideration. Both will still show result "married" in ROM record, wont show void or divorce.

For annulment, both have to agree that the marriage is not consumated. If one party challenges that in court, the judge will not grant an annulment.

As to what it shows in ROM record, I am not sure but it poses no problem when you marry again. Your marital status goes back to single as annulment means to void the marriage

Bunnyslave2014

Being divorced means there is more stigma involved when it comes to dating and jobs. I was a divorcee and the moment I disclosed my status to suitors they simply downgraded the r/s to a casual one and tried to take advantage of my status. Meaning having a no strings attached r/s instead as their parents probably would disallow them dating and marrying a divorcee.

For jobs, if you declare it during application, you face all kinds of invasive, stupid questions from immature kaypoh hr staff. You are not entitled to marriage leave too for second marriages.

Lucky for me my current hubby does not care about my status. Still it is hard to find a guy who overlooks your marital past.

uglydude

End of the day....being a divorcee has its advantages as well...at least you know that whoever accept your past and choose to be with you will be someone with a bigger heart compare to those that don't....