Cooking Recipes as promised

F

food glorious food

Cleo, I'm growing mint leaves too. But it's not doing so well.. I guess I just don't have green fingers.
lame.gif

dolphin

I've also thought of growing pandan leaves and red chilli padi.

cleo, is pandan plant easy to grow? How should I go about growing it (I mean buy its seed or get a part of leave to start growing)? And what type of soil should I use etc?

thanks

By the way, any of you have any recipe for making sweet bun where you can stuff the ingredients (like luncheon meat, curry chicken) you want in the bread?

F

food glorious food

Dolphin, you just reminded me that I've red chilli padi as well. I threw some seeds in the soil when I was cutting some red chilli padi. It's growing but VERY slow.

jeronlee

hi all,

wonder anyone can help me....

sometimes back, i thought i saw a posting on using coke to marinate chicken....however can't seem to find it anywhere now..

can anyone recall seeing it somewhere...

btw if any of you did a compilation of most if not all the recipies posted here? please can you let me know..

many thanks...

cheers
jellyfish

F

food glorious food

Hi Jellyfish,

You may want to do a search on keyword "pepsi". I think it's the pepsi chicken wing recipe posted by Tomato.

jeronlee

hi food glorious food,

thanks for your prompt response...you have been a great help!!!thats the one I'm looking for...no wonder i cant find it coz i kept thinking its coke...:p

cheers
jellyfish

cleo

Hi guys,

I still don't know how to plant properly. Still learning. My dad works in a nursery, so i usually ask him to plant & then bring the pot back to me.

Dolphin
Pandan leaves grow quite easily. Maybe you can go to the nursery to buy a pot, then water from there. I heard from my mum that to grow pandan plant, got to cut off a bunch and plant it in another pot. Not too sure if there are other methods though.

Maybe i can try chilli padi plant too
happy.gif

dolphin

Hi cleo,

tks, I will consider planting them when I've more time to spare to look after the plant.

Girls, any of you have no problem in making sponge cake? Earlier I bought a prepackage Premix chocolate sponge cake, no problem baking it and the result is soft and spongy. But if I follow the normal recipe of making sponge cake, the cake turns out to be hard. Anyone has succeeded? can give some tips on making soft, spongy cake?

cleo

Dolphin

Seems like you like to bake a lot hor? I'm very bad at baking and always fail. I prefer to cook. But the premix one you say sound easier. Is it just mix with water & eggs, then can bake liao? What brand huh? Maybe I can try. Do u know of any sure-win brownie premix receipe? My hubby likes brownie. The last time I tried, it was as hard as a rock.

zephyrus

Hi, guys! I have been busy browsing through the archives of this topic and have lost touch with you all. Sorry :p

Cleo,
Thanks for your receipes. Will try them soon during weekends.

Woody,
Here's the Tom Yam soup receipe which you have requested for.

Ingredients
3 cups of chicken stock
300 gms of prawns
1 piece of galingal about 1 inch (crushed)
2 stalks lemon grass; 1 stalk cut into half and crushed
2 tomatoes (cut into pieces)
5 kaffir lim leaves (Note : to take out the vein or else it will be bitter)
1 tbsp preserved Thai chilli paste (nam prik pow brand)
3 tbsp fish sause
3 to 4 tbsp Green lemon juice
10-15 small chillies (crushed)

Optional : toufu, sotong, fish, straw mushrooms

Methods
1. Squeeze the Green lemon and put the juice in the fridge to chill
2. Boil a small pot of water and parboil the chicken bone.
Discard the parboiled water and set aside the chicken bone.
Boil 1 pot of water and add the parboiled chicken bone and boil over a small fire.
3. Flatten the lemon grass and galangal and out inside the boiling chciekn stock for a short while for eg 15 mins for the flavour to come out.
4. Add the red chilli slices, deveined lime leaves, straw mushroom, fish, chicken, pieces of tomato, Tom yam chilli paste, 2 tbsp of fish sauce.
Note : Vary the chilli paste & fish sauce according to own preference of saltiness and spicyness
5. Add the prawn to cook at a later stage or overcooked prawn will not taste as nice and will be tougher to bite.
6. Add the refrigerated lime juice last.
The hot & spicy Tom Yam soup will be ready to serve.

Enjoy cooking!
happy.gif

zephyrus

BTW, does anyone knows where to get the oven thermometer which is like a big pin/needle? Think it is used for baking cakes. Have been through a few departmental stores but in vain. Even the DIY store don't have one.
Thanks in advance.

A

anniesem

Hai All
I also looking for the oven thermometer but also could not find it. My friend got hers from US supermarket. regret for not informing her to get one coz is so hard to get it in Singapore.
Any inform??

cleo

I thot I saw the oven thermometer in Robinsons at Raffles City that day, but it seems round leh. So, I not too sure if it's the same one you are referring to.

dolphin

Hi tumtum,
I made mango pudding last saturday. It turned out to be quite good. Very simple procedure. Have you tried it already?

Hi cleo,
yes, I love to bake. Most of the recipes I tried are successful except sponge cake. Usually I try a recipe for at least 2 times then try something else. Can't remember the brand of that Premix chocolate sponge cake, will let you know later (when I come across it in supermarket). Yes, using eggs and water. I've a brownie recipe but have not tried it yet.

Hi zephyrus, anniesem
I have seen Takashimaya selling thermometers few wks ago.

cleo

Dolphin

Maybe you can recommend those recipes that will most likely succeed to me. then I can try
happy.gif
'coz everytime, I try to bake something, it fails. Thanks!!

okeanosmao

hi all,

been reading and collecting recipes since hv read this thread but real bz nowadays so din manage to read thru.
anyone has a better and fast way to collect recipes cos i always copy and paste leh..

thanks.

dolphin

Hi cleo,
Sure, no problem.

I think cookies are the easiest. So far I've tried chocolate chip cookies and almond cookies. Have you tried it before?

I like banana with walnut bread. Succeeded the first time I baked so I think you can make it also (let me know if you want the recipe).

A

at

Dolphin

Can you pls send me the recipes for the bread and cookies? I am going to relocate soon and had better know how to cook/bake - too dependent upon my mum. Wld probably come back to this thread to pick up tips and new recipes, and hopefully contribute in the future :p

email address: [email protected]

Thanks

tumtum

Hi Dolphin, I haven had the time to try it yet. Did you follow the recipe strictly? What did you use to replace the mango puree? Anything i should take note of?

dolphin

Hi tumtum,
I followed the recipe quite closely. I have slightly reduce the amt for evaporated milk bcos I don't want the taste to be too milky. The label on the evaporated milk can does not state the percentage, so I'm not too sure if it's 2 %. Please take note that there is a typo error in the proportion for evaporated milk. It's 1 cup (250ml) instead of 750ml.
The only thing you may need to take note is to continue to stir the mixture of sugar, hot water and gelatin till it dissolves.

Hi AT, zephyrus
ok, will send to you either on Friday night or sat.

cleo

Hi Dolphin

While you are going through the receipes for AT & zephyrus during the weekend, could you help to look out for easy cake receipes for me. Thanks.

I tried cookies before, but it was very hard. Like stone. So funny.
happy.gif

dolphin

Hi cleo,
I've some cake recipes, have tried only a few but not successful bcos my cake always turn out to be hard and not spongy. Do you like banana with walnut bread? I can send you that one cos that recipe is really very easy to make and taste gd too unless you don't like banana.

What cookies did u make so far? And how long did you bake it? My chocolate chips cookies requires 10 - 12 mins of baking. When they are out of the oven, they are a bit soft and when it cools down, it will be just fine.

cleo

Hi Dolphin

ok, I will take a look at banana & walnut bread receipe & try it if it is not too difficult.

I can't remember the type of cookie I baked & the procedures, 'coz it was many years back (like in secondary school).
happy.gif

lee

Hi,

I am new here and have been collecting recipes but not participating in the discussion. =P

I have been thinking of making Tiramisu but wondering whether anyone knows where I can get the Mascapone cheese and the biscuit for making the pastry?

forgetmenot

Hi gals,

anyone has the receipe of making a thai dessert,think is call red ruby...

is actually water chestnut counted with a red tranparent thingy with coconut milk.

Thanks.

I

immortal

Hi Lee,

I use cream cheese for Tiramisu, Philedelphia brand.
As for the pastry, try Fingers at Cold Storage or Jason Market Place.

C

cornflake

Hi Carol,

can I have the red ruby recipe as well? Thank you! My email is [email protected]

And may I know if anyone knows how to make cornflake cookies which the Malay friends will make during their new year? Thanks!