Cooking Recipes as promised

forgetmenot

Hi Dolphin,

I have received your mail liao..Thanks alot..
happy.gif

giggler

Hi sakurasan, where did u get the cheese, espresso and brandy? Looks like it's qute difficult to get the ingredients for the cake.

Cheers

woody

Hi Dolphine

Seems like your chicken rice recipe is in hot demand. Can i have it too. And also does it include how to make the chicken rice chilli. Thanks in advance.

My email: [email protected]

Luckily I have a husband who eats anything i cook. I learnt all the cooking from watching how my mum cooks.
happy.gif

woody

hi ladies

you can also check out the following website from asiaone. they have lots of varieties, cakes, soup etc. and on the right side of the page, you can also select chinese, vegetarian, middle-east etc. i haven't try any yet, but hope it helps.

http://food.asia1.com.sg/recipes/

I am also just learning how to cook. It is very encouraging that my husband likes it and he also cooks for me on weekends. cheers.
happy.gif

cleo

Hi Zephyrus and all,

So sorry to reply so late. Only just log in.
My hubby is like yours. Also quite fussy with food
happy.gif

Anyway, my few favourite western easy to cook are as follows:
chicken baked rice
baked herbed fish fillet
black pepper chicken fillet with cream pasta
rib eye steak

chicken baked rice:
scald brocoli and chicken
cook rice
put the rice in a pan, place chicken on top with the brocoli at the perimeter, top it with button mushroom, cream of mushroom soup(I use Campbells) mozarella cheese and some parmesan cheese
baked in oven for abt 10 mins. Must monitor to prevent it from being burnt.

baked herbed fish fillet
mix bread crumbs (I use the Jap type from NTUC) with some olive oil, salt, oregano, thyme, sage, black pepper
coat fish fillets with this mix and bake in oven for abt 10-15mins. Add tartar sauce when serving.

black pepper chicken fillet with cream pasta
season chicken fillet with black pepper and salt and stir fry.
I use the pasta from NTUC. Those packed type which has the sauce in powder form and the pasta all in the pack. Then pour all the contents in a pot of boiling water and add milk.

rib eye steak
This is my favourite.
chop the beef with back of knife to loosen beef.
marinate steak with red cooking wine and black pepper. I usually marinate overnite for best effects.
Add oil and fry mushrooms. then dish up mushrooms and fry beef abt 3-5min depending on heat, thickness of beef and how well done u like it.
I bought the steak sauce (bottle form) from cold storage. Just pour it in the pot with any remaining juices and pour over steak and mushrooms.

Let me know if u need further info.

cleo

Dear all,

hee hee... just tried this new receipe from the newspapers' receipe for prawns last nite & my hubby & I both it. Just to share:

Garlic Mayonnaise grilled prawns
I bought jumbo prawns (abt 7 inches length)
Clean, trim and butterfly the prawns. Skewer the prawns with satay sticks to prevent them from curling
Mix minced garlic, mayonnaise, coriander (Optional: I added some chilli powder & lemon and pepper seasoning instead as I didn't have coriander)
Spoon the mixture on the prawns
I added some mozeralla cheese and sprinked parmesan cheese on top.
Bake in oven at 200 deg C. I baked for 10mins although receipe says to bake for 15-20mins. coz the prawns will be too hard if it is overcooked.

PS: don't need much salt coz I used the Jap mayo and I thot it was quite salty and good enough. So next time, I won't put salt.

PS2: can use it on cray fish, oyster or lobster, I think it would be nice too.

BTW, anyone knows where to buy fresh oyster? I can't find it in the supermarkets.

dolphin

Hi tobebride, woody, tumtum

I've just sent you the recipe.

Woody, yes, the recipe will teach you how to make the chilli as well.

Happy Cooking!

sakurasan

hi Giggler

Oh, the ingredients are easily available! You can get the mascarpone cheese and lady's fingers from Cold Storage or Jasons - I dun think NTUC sells these. Instead of expresso, I use normal Nescafe coffee power (ard 5 tablespoons). For brandy, it's the usual drinking brandy which my mom gave me. I think you can buy those small bottles of brandy from Cold Storage.

C

checking

Hi sakurasan,

may I know when are the lady's fingers used? I don't see it in the steps. Thanks.

dolphin

Hi all,

Have anyone tried making egg tarts? Any successful and delicious egg tart recipe to share?

Hi stars,

I've just sent it to you.
happy.gif

giggler

Hi Dolphin, I think someone posted the recipe here before. You can check from the archive leh. However, I didn't succeed in getting the pastry out. The egg custard was quite nice.

Cheers

F

food glorious food

Hi Cleo

Thanks for sharing the recipes. The chicken baked rice sounds really good. Just to check, how much cream of mushroom soup to put on the rice? Just enough to cover it?

dolphin

Hi giggler,

I did try out the recipe from the archive. Also not successful with the pastry.

By the way, do you have any recipe using custard powder? I have a tin of custard powder which I bought last year for making egg tarts. Expiry date is in sept this yr. So thought of making something before the expiry date.

giggler

MANGO PUDDING

INGREDIENTS: 2 packs unflavoured gelatin
175ml sugar
250ml hot water
750ml pureed fresh mangoes
750ml evaporated milk
8 ice cubes
Fresh mangoes slices (for garnish)
1 lime

METHOD:

1. Add gelatin and sugar to hot water and mix until dissolved and smooth.
2. In a large bowl, mix mango puree, evaporated milk and ice cubes.
3. Pour gelatin mixture into mango mixture and stir until ice cubes are melted.
4. To serve, dip jelly mould briefly in hot water then turns pudding out onto platter.
5. Squeeze on some lime juice, garnish with mango slices if desired and serve.

giggler

EGG TARTS

INGREDIENTS: 2 cups all-purpose flour
5/8 cup butter
1 egg yolk
7 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
2 tbsp evaporated milk
5 eggs
¾ cup white sugar
1 1/8 cups boiling water
½ cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp custard powder
¼ tsp distilled white vinegar

METHOD:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
2. Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar. Mix in egg yolk, flour and 2 tbsp evaporated milk. Roll dough out thinly, and cut out rounds with a fluted cutter. Place into tart moulds.
3. Bake for 12 mins.
4. Beat eggs. Mix in ½ cup evaporated milk, custard powder, and white vinegar. Dissolve sugar in boiling water, and pour into custard mixture. Mix well, and let stand to remove air bubbles. Pour the egg custard into the baked tart shells.
5. Bake for 10 mins. Cool

cleo

Hi Food Glorious food,

I think the receipe says to put half can, but I usually don't follow it coz it depends on the area of your container & also how much you like it. So, I usually just scoope enough to cover it. Maybe coz our dish is too deep, so not enough surface area at the top for the soup. I think if you follow the Swensen's dish size, it should turn out fine.

And, sometimes, it dries up when baking. So, I just leave it on the table & pour more over when we are eating coz certain parts might be too dry. My hubby likes it with lots of soup.

BTW, do keep a lookout. I'm not too sure if it's coz of the cheese but this dish gets burnt easily. The first time I tried it, it was overburnt. hee hee...
happy.gif

woody

hey all
i have a few recipe cards, and will post them here once i have typed it out. sorry no pictures as i do not have a scanner with me. here goes the first one, pls convert the measurement accordingly and for those who tried it, pls give your comments here. thank you.

regards,
woody

Sunday Pot Roast

Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 8 1/2 hrs (in the slow cooker)
Serves: 8 to 10

Ingredients:

1 beef chunk pot roast (abt 2 1/2 pounds)
salt and black pepper
3 medium baking potatoes (abt 1 pound) unpeeled
2 large carrots
1 large parsnip
2 large celery stalks
1 medium onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
half teaspoon dried thyme
half cup beef broth

Steps:
1. Trim any excess fat from beef. Discard fat. Cut beef into serving size pieces; season with salt and black pepper to taste.

2.Scrub potatoes. Cut scrubbed potatoes into quarters. Cut carrots and parsnip diagionally into 3/4 inch slices. Slice celery into 1 and a half to 2 inch pieces.

3. Place potato, carrot, parsnip, celery and bay leaves in slow cooker. Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over vegetables.

4. Arrange beef over vegetables in slow cooker. Pour broth over beef.

5. Cover slow cooker and cook pot roast on LOW abt 8 1/2 to 9 hours or until beef is fork-tender.

6. Remove beef to large serving platter. Arrange vegetables around beef on platter. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve pot roast with juices from slow cooker or with gravy, if desired.

Tips: For gravy, ladle the juices from the slow cooker into a 2-cup measuring cup, place in a small saucepan and heat to a boil. For each cup of juice, mix quarter cup of cold water and 2 tablespoons flour until smooth. Add to the boiling juices, stirring constantly, cook 1 minute or until thickened.

enjoy cooking!!

H

himmel

Hi all. Here's a recipe to share.

Mustard and Mayo Chicken sandwich (using toaster-oven)

Need:
1)Small strips of Chicken fillet (2 strips for 2 pcs of bread for 1 person)
2) Mustard sauce
3) Japanese Mayonaise (I've not tried using other brands of mayo)
4) Basil leaves (or other herbs you fancy)
5) salt
6) pepper to taste
*7) lettuce, tomatoes-OPTIONAL

Steps:
After cleaning fillet, drain away excess water.Try not to let fillet be too wet.

1) Rub salt over the fillet
2) Use fork to make a few insicions in the fillet
3) spoon mustard sauce over fillet evenly
4) Spoon mayo over the fillet evenly
5) Sprinkle Basil Leaves over the fillet
6) Leave fillet in the fridge for 1/2 hour to 1 hr. For better results, leave it overnite.
7) When ready to eat. Pre-heat toaster oven for abt 10 mins. Then place fillet on aluminium foil and heat for abt 10-15 mins on each side.
8) Cut bread into 2 triangles. Put lettuce or tomatoes if desire. And place a strip of fillet in each triangle.
9) Add pepper or paprika

Cheers!
biggrin.gif

dolphin

Hi tumtum,

You can use those packet type of mango juice for the pudding.

I'm also thinking of making the mango pudding but still searching for the gelatin from supermarket. Phoon Huat is too far from my home. When will you be making the pudding? Can share with me after you tried it. By the way, the recipe says 2 packs of gelatin, how much do you think we should be using?

woody

hi zephyrus

if u happen to see this msg, do u mind sharing ur Thai Tom Yam Soup recipe that u mention in your earlier msg dated apr 29.

you can also send to my email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

regards,
woody

tumtum

Hi Dolphin
Most likely i will try doing it within the next 2 weeks. I have not tried looking for the ingredients yet. Is gelatin so difficult to find? I'll go and search for it first. ok, we'll share our experience once any one of us tries it.

cleo

Hi Woody
My mum's uses ready mix "Holly Farms" instant tom yam paste which we bought from supermarket. Quite nice too for a fuss free soup. She also adds lemon grass stips and squeeze those big green limes from market into the soup, so that it looks more authentic.

Himmel,
The sandwich sounds good. Will try it soon. BTW, where do u buy fresh basil leaves from? ALso, which brand of mustard i better? Mastersfood?

Dolphin
You can try gelatin from Cold Storage which my gf once bought it from.

cleo

hi zephyrus

Just saw your request for salmon in your earlier mail.

Try my mum's receipe:
Baked Salmon
3 pieces of salmon
Season with 3/4 Tablespoon Sesame oil, 3/4 Tablespoon cooking oil, 3/4 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce and pepper. Add a little salt (coz oyster sauce is salty)
Preheat oven for 15mins at 150
Bake in oven for 10-15mins (or till fish is cooked)
This dish is western style, so you can add side dishes like pasta or salad or potatoes to go with it.

Or Spicy Grilled Salmon (from mag)
400g Fresh Salmon
50g Onion chopped
2tbsp white sesame, fried
2tbsp oil

Seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Gravy
4tbsp Thai Chilli Sauce
1tbsp Oster Sauce
3tbsp water

Method
After cleaning salmon, apply salt and black pepper
then place salmon into preheated oven and grill for 170C for 8-10 mins
Heat oil in wok and stirfry onion till fragrant. add in gravy items and bring to boil
pour mixture onto fish and sprinkle sesame seeds over.

Hope that you'll like them
happy.gif

H

himmel

Hi Cleo..i used dried basil leaves. The smell is not that strong but the speckles of green gives the fillet a more appetizing look. However,if you can get get hold of fresh herbs, i'm sure the taste will be greatly enhanced!

H

himmel

And ooops, I used Kraft mustard. Actually the first time i did it, i used the mustard i bought from Europe. It tasted better and the colour also looked better. With Kraft, it looks like fillet in tumeric powder instead.
biggrin.gif

cleo

Himmel

I was trying to look for fresh basil leaves 'coz I would like to try a new Thai chicken dish which I saw in the Women's Weekly issue.

hee hee... up to now, still can't find it at the neighbourhood supermarket. I think got to try Cold Storage that type.

woody

hi cleo

thanks. i usually use those readymade tomyam paste or cube, but i will put lemon-grass and green lime on my next try.
happy.gif

dolphin

Hi cleo,

Pls check out the ntuc at Junction 8 and not the one at the neighbourhood (above Cheers).

For basil leaves, you can try the bottle kind like masterfood brand... I've ever searched for fresh basil leaves but still cant find.

F

food glorious food

I bought a pot of basil from Far East Flora. Cost about $5-8. But so far haven't used it for cooking yet. Growing my own curry leaves too (also bought there) but haven't pluck any for cooking curry.

So much for being ambitious about getting fresh ingredient to cook up a storm!
biggrin.gif

cleo

Thanks all, will try cold storage.

hee hee... food glorious food, we think alike. I asked my dad to plant a pot of basil plant for me. I also like the idea of having plants so that we can pluck and cook. I've a pot of pandan plant in the kitchen
happy.gif

Thought of keeping basil & coriandar as well.

sakurasan

Hi cleo

I bot a pot of basil leave from cold storage - since I use quite it quite often...and after a few plucks, it just died on me. Do you know how to grow the basil plant properly?

happy.gif