Cooking Recipes as promised

M

marsep71

Hi,

Would like to know if wheat flour is the same as normal flour? If not, then where can I get wheat flour? Tried looking for it at NTUC and Cold Storage, but cannot find leh....

B

bb

Hi GreenBean,

do you have the quantity of green bean, water and sugar to use for the green bean soup? Thanks.

F

food glorious food

Hi BB,

You can add sweet potato (cut into smaill pieces) in the green bean soup too. Not sure on how much water to add... but go easy on the sugar. Not good to have it too sweet.

Hi Dolphin,

I thought the lemon chicken is supposed to be crispy? I usually let them cool and then cut it into thin strips. Taste better this way.

Just want to share with you something I cook for my hubby. We used to go Tonkichi restaurant at Takashimaya for this but it's too ex ($20 plus per portion)! It's deep fried prawns with Japanese rice and shredded cabbage.

Season shelled prawns with pepper, then dip in flour, then beaten egg, then bread crumbs then deep fry. Can buy the bread crumbs from supermarkets. For the prawns, I usually buy from NTUC and I buy those on offer (usually $2-$3 per pack because the packing date is the day before). Choose those prawns with the head still intact and still looking fresh.

Serve the shredded cabbage with tonkatsu sauce (used to buy from Liang Court Daimaru but close already lah..) with the prawns & rice.

Taste really good & you can substitute the shredded cabbage with lettuce as well.

hong

Hi Joy,

Here's the recipes for cereal prawns posted by Carol...
Try it and let us know the outcome? ;p

Cereal Prawns

Ingredient
600g prawns
1/2 pieces of butter
Minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
200 g of cereal (Nestle Cereal , not cornflakes)
1 chilli padi chopped
3-4 Curry leaves optional
1 tsp of sugar

Seasoning
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of sesame oil
a little of pepper

Method

Clean prawns, leave the shell on. Wipe dry and season in mixture of salt, pepper, a little sesame oil and a little sugar

Deep fry the prawn till 1/2 done , leave aside.

In a wok, melt the butter and add in garlic , chilli padi and curry leave. Fry till there is an aroma. Pout in the cereal and fry for a while. Add in sugar. Then mix in the prawn and fried for about 1-2 mins. It is ready for serving.

cowie

To all who have received the cereal prawn recipe,
I think Carol has already requested not to have this recipe posted in the forum due to some personal reasons when she passed you this recipe.

Dear all,
I hope all of us will respect her decision and stop doing this to her. I am sure all these breech of trust has contributed to Carol not frequenting this thread anymore..... we are all losing a valuable pal to guide us amateurs in our cooking endeavours..... Lets not do this anymore yah?

hong

Dear cowie,
Jus to clarify, this recipe was posted by someone else in this forum....i am not sure if that person got it from her...

Do check out posting on Archive through February 13, 2003 thread.

Apologies for the misunderstanding....
Recipes that i have are those that has been posted in this forum....

cowie

Hong,
I am sorry if I sounded like I am accusing you. I meant to put up a reminder to all on a whole.

If someone has posted it in the archive, let's just leave it as it is.

shine

Hi Hong,
There was a recipe posted By <FONT COLOR="0000ff">happy169185 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:16 pm</FONT>

what makes you so sure that it was the same recipe posted by Carol?

greenbean

Hi BB,
actually the amt of greenbeans and water is as ur wish. if you like more beans then u can add less water. For me i like more soup so normally i will add more water to it... As for the sugar, normally i use normal white sugar. But recently it is v popular using black sugar (hei tang) becos of SARS.

Ya, Food Glorious Food is right too.. u can add sweet potato, green bean and black sugar. it is said that can prevent SARS. But not sure true or not. :p

giggler

I agree with cowie. Let's respect her decision lor. She may has her own personal reason.

Actually, we're all here to learn and share. Hope Carol doesn't mind too much.
happy.gif

Cheers

L

lone

this is getting confusing.
crazy.gif

i think happy169185 got the receipe from carol through email. then she posted the receipe here when carol has already said that she will only share the receipe offline.

then hong saw the receipe posted by happy169185 and assumed that it is the receipe from carol. being helpful, hong posted it again just now for joy who is requesting for it.

everyone, let's just respect carol's privacy and stop spreading this receipe without her consent.

shine

I think Carol has been here for a long time sharing her recipes and experience on cooking.

I dun think she mind to share, but I think she had mentioned B4 that she din want to post the recipe in the forum, that's why she chooses to sent to those who requested via mail

<FONT COLOR="0000ff">By Carol (carol) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 10:06 am: Edit

hi okeanosmao,
Due to some other reasons, I'm not able to post the recipe here like I used to.
happy.gif
</FONT>

hong

Hi shine,
Lone was right. i was just re-posting something in the archive. But whatever it is, it's my mistake to say it was from Carol.

Whether or not happy169185 got it from carol, i am not sure. Juz take it as my mistake, ok?

i am not able to edit the posting to remove her name after i realise my mistake....apologies for that.

dolphin

Hi food glorious food
thanks for sharing. Do you use breadcrumbs to make the chicken more crispy?

By the way, do you know how to make katsu don (pork with egg on top of rice)?

Hi all,
I don't know why Carol has stopped coming to the forum but I really hope to hear from her again.

F

food glorious food

Hi Dolphine

I love jap food and katsu don is one of my fav!
happy.gif
I have not tried cooking it yet but you can get the recipe at:

http://japanesefood.about.com/library/pictures/blkatsudon.htm

I think that is, by far, one of the most detailed recipe, which even explains on how to cook the rice and stock other than the katsu.

Somehow, I don't use breadcrumbs for chicken cutlets. Flour is good enough. I always get ready a plate with kitchen towels placed on it to soak up the oil the moment I take the cutlets out of the wok. If you leave them to cool on a plate, it will become a bit soggy.

happy.gif

dolphin

Hi food glorious food, Giggler

I've tried out the Katsu don. Instead of putting the pork loin in the pan, I deep fry the pork using the Japanese kind of bread crumbs. As for the soup stock, I bought the instant powder type.

F

food glorious food

Hi Dolphine!

So does it taste good?

Want to make a trip to the supermarket after work but don't know whether there're vegetables or not? Lazy to cook these days and so sick of outside food too. Think will cook congee tonight. Hope can get spring onion later..

giggler

Hi Dolphin, so how's the taste? You can actually cook some Japanese curry and pour on top of the katsu to become katsu curry rice. Shd be quite nice too.

I

interested

Hi Karen,

May I know what type of facial do you have? And how much are they? Is there any trial facial?

What type of products do you use for facial?

Thanks.

joy

Dear all

I am so sorri tat i requested for this recipe. I didnt know that there is some story behind this. Sorri tat i had caused so much misunderstanding among u people.

dolphin

Hi food glorious food, Giggler

yes, it tastes good. I think the instant dashi powder stock is very important to obtain the Japanese kind of taste.

I've a recipe on rice cooker chicken rice. Will give it a try tomorrow.

By the way, do you have any bread recipe that uses bread flour?

giggler

Hi Dolphin, I got one but don't know if it's what u want.

BUN / BREAD
INGREDIENTS: 330g bread flour
66g caster sugar
1 tbsp Bruggeman dry yeast brown
150g water
1 tsp Bread Improver Super Tex
&frac14; tsp salt
1 egg
40g Gold Tree salted butter
1 tbsp condensed milk

METHOD:

1. Put all the ingredients into the mixing bowl, except the salt and butter. Mix well for 8 mins.
2. Then add in the butter and salt, mix to a soft dough for 8 mins. (Mixer: high speed – 15mins for steps 1 &amp; 2)
3. Rest the dough for 15 mins (must cover with plastics wrap) and divide into 40g each (must weigh them)
4. Shape each of them round and rest for 10 mins.
5. Flatten the dough and put your luncheon meat in and shape it.
6. Scoop a bit of the yolk + water, spread them onto the dough before putting into the oven.
7. Optional: sprinkle with sesame seed and bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 12 mins.

dolphin

Hi Giggler,

thanks for the recipe. Never seen this Bread Improver Super Tex in the supermarket before. But if I can somehow find it, I will give it a try since luncheon meat is my favourite.

zephyrus

Hi! Can anyone share his/her simple, easy and fast to cook, delicious and healty home-cooked receipes? Cos' hubby prefer me to cook rather eat at parents' house but I might not have enough time to prepare dinner from the time I reach home. I have not much variety of dishes to cook for him. I still have much to learn.

Or does anyone know a website which have lots of home-cooked food receipes?

Appreciate if anyone can share with me.

Thanks a lot in advance!
happy.gif

cleo

Dear zephyrus

What type of food do you prefer? Chinese or Western?

I'm also not very good at cooking but I love to cook for hubby. : p Esp now with the SARS, cook almost daily.

F

food glorious food

Hi Dolphin,

Rice cooker chicken rice sounds really good. Would you be able to share the recipe with us?

Hi Zephyrus,

My hubby prefers to eat at home too. When I don't have time to prepare dinner, I'll usually buy "niang toufu" (choose your own 10 pcs type from NTUC) and vegetables for soup and then just have it with rice. Sometimes my hubby will "cook" canned soup (usually clam chowder), and we'll have it with toasted bread with goumet cheese for dinner. But that's not very healthy.. How about sharing what you usually cook?

dolphin

Hi food glorious food,

Can I email to you instead? Cos the recipe is in acrobat format. It's an article in the newspaper, my friend has scanned it and sent to me.

zephyrus

Cleo,
I have no idea how to cook Western food. Only know how to cook basic but not that nice spagetti. Maybe, Cleo can share with us her receipes on Western Food. It will be a change to my regular dishes. Do any one knows how to cook or marinate salmon steak? Would love to try cos' I like the fish.
happy.gif

food glorious food,
Have tried to cook niang dou foo too. Thanks for the suggestion.
happy.gif
I tried not to depend too much on canned food because of the MSG and nutrition factor though it will be convenient and fast ie not much preparation is required.

I cooked Chinese food; fried prawn omlette, steam egg, steam toufu with meat and salted egg, fried french bean with carrots and prawn, niang dou foo, herbal chicken soup etc.

Hubby ever commented whether I can cook any other dishes besides the regulars. Once he said will decide whether to eat at home or outside depending on the dishes I am cooking. In the end, we eat outside cos' I am cooking my regulars. :p

If hubby is someone who can eat whatever I cook, there are a lot more dishes I can cook. The following foods which he don't like : fish except for stingray, bringal, ladyfingers, hae bee hiang, giam peng, bee hoon, vermice, certain vegetables etc. So, I am at a lost at cooking for him which wants to make me to ask my MIL what she has cooked for him to eat.
lame.gif

I ever learnt cooking lesson at CC before. Recently, I just dig out my Thai receipe and cook tom yam soup for him which he said is nice. At least, there is change to my regulars.
biggrin.gif

Now, when cooking for him during weekends or holidays, have to crack my brain &amp; think what different dishes I can cook for him. Hopefully, he will become the hubby who will be "I will eat what u cook without complaining".
lame.gif

Therefore, I really need all of your help in providing me some more ideas for home cooked food. Thanks!!
happy.gif

dolphin

Hi Zephyrus,

This is quite easy. Can give it a try.

Chow Mein

Serves 2 – 4

Ingredients:

9 oz package dried egg noodles
3 – 4 tablespoons oil
3 – 4 scallions shredded
6 oz cooked ham, julienned
&frac14; lb each fresh spinach leaves and bean sprouts
1 tablespoon each rice wine, light soy sauce, and oyster sauce
A few drops sesame oil

Methods:

1. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for 2 – 3 minutes, drain well, and rinse in cold water. Drain well again, and toss with a little of the oil.

2. Heat the remaining oil in a preheated wok, add the scallions, and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Add the ham, spinach, bean sprouts and noodles, and stir and toss for 1 – 2 minutes.

3. Blend in the rice wine, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with the sesame oil. Serve hot or cold.

Source: Easy As 123 Cooking Chinese (by Deh-Ta Hsiung)

dolphin

Can someone tells me where can I get unflavored gelatin. It's one of the ingredients for making mango pudding. Is it the same as agar-agar strip sold at NTUC?

F

food glorious food

Hi Dolphin,

Thanks for your email.

Hi Zephyrus,

How about cooking chicken stew? I usually marinate some chicken parts the night before so that I can cook right away when I reach home. I add carrots, broccoli and tomato into the chicken stew and we just eat it with rice. For seasoning just add some sesame seed oil, dash of pepper, dark soy sauce and a bit of oyster sauce into the chicken stew.

sakurasan

Hi girls

I've a pretty good and simple tiramisu recipe to share with all of you. I've tried it several times and hv gotten positive feedback on it.

Ingredients

500g Mascapone cheese
2 Egg whites
Cocoa powder
4 Egg yolks
2 Espresso cups of strong coffee
200g Lady’s fingers
2 Shots of brandy
5 tbsp Sugar

Method

1. Cool coffee.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar till white and thick.
3. Beat egg whites till stiff in a separate bowl.
4. Put yolk mixture into white and beat gently till thick.
5. Add brandy, then cheese and gently beat together.
6. Dip biscuits into coffee and put into bottom of a deep bowl.
7. Put cheese mixture on top.
8. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top.
9. Repeat steps 6 to 8 for another layer or two.
10. Refrigerate overnight.

C

cutedi

Hi Dolphine, Mav,

actually gelatin come in 2 form, 1 powder form another type is leave form, can get both from phoon huat.. then i heard from my sil tat the powder form contains beef origin (don noe true or not, din use b4).. therefore if u don take beef, better check b4 use..
happy.gif

dolphin

Hi cutedi, May

I tried to look for the gelatin at NTUC, couldn't find it.
sad.gif

Hi forgetmenot,

ok, will send to you later.

C

cutedi

Hi Dolphin,

i think it will be very difficult to get the gelatin in those normal supermarket. think u better tries those baking shops like phoon huat n sunlik. actually if u adventure enuff, u can replace the gelatin with agar agar powder.. but i don not noe whether the turn out will be ok or not.. wat i heard from my sil is tat gelatine leaf give a shinning look but not agar agar powder..

then can i also have the chicken rice recipe too? [email protected]

thanks =)