Cooking Recipes as promised

curly

Hi

Just to share a recipe I tried out last night. Even my hubby whose not keen on fish enjoyed it.

Curry coated baked cod (serve 4)

4 cod filets (about 150g each)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3 oz bread crumbs
2 tsp green curry paste
2 tbsp blanched almond (chopped)
rind of 1/2 lime
salt and pepper to season

1. brush baking ware with sesame oil and place filets in a single layer
2. mix bread crumbs, green curry paste, almond and lime rind, blend well
3. press mixture lightly on filets to hold
4. bake for 35 - 40 minutes in a preheated 200 oC oven
5. decorate with strips of lime before serving
6. serve with new potatoes, green vegetables

B

bakeforhubby

Hi,

Jus got married and m now lookg for some baking course cos hubby lov chocolate cakes and *sigh* me knows nothing about baking :_(

I tried to search on the web about baking courses but to no avail
sad.gif

Any1 have any recommendation on where or which company provides baking courses esp on chocolates?

Many Thanks
happy.gif

L

lerler

Hi bakeforhubby

you can try phoonhuat. they are baking materials supplier and they have baking classes too. for me, i signed up with the cc, about 60 dollars for 8 lessons. you can check the website

lerler

orchid

Hi,

I tried this yesterday, and it was a hit!

Salmon with Honey-Soy Glaze

Salmon fillet (skin off, 4 pcs)
- season with bit of salt & pepper for abt 10min (wash off before cooking if you don't want it too salty)
- heat 2 tbsp oil, pan fry 2-3 min each side, under just cooked through, golden
- remove salmon from pan, leave oil

Honey Soy Glaze:

Place in a bowl, whisk with fork until combined:
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- juice of half lemon or 4 limes
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (or any mustard)

- Pour into pan (with oil from cooking salmon)
- Simmer, stirring occasionally. Until looks like glaze.
- Stir in red chilli slices as garnish

Pour over salmon.

dolphin

Hi Curly,

Are the cod filets those frozen type sold at supermarkets?

Do you need to turn the filets over to the other side to bake?

thanks

curly

Hi Dolphin

Yes, that type of frozen cod filets. And no, you don't have to turn the filets.

Thanks Orchid, I might try out your salmon this weekend as it's so easy!!

orchid

Hi Dolphin & Curly,

u can taste the sauce while squeezing in the lemon juice. some people don't like it too lemony.

G

gerline

Hi ladies,

Anyone has baked pandan cake and sponge cake successfully? Can share with me your recipe.

thanks.

salmon

Hi...anyone here can advise me how to cook or handle Smoked Salmon....a friend from the states send to me, i had left it in the fridge for few months liao coz i dunno how to cook leh...
Pls advise...thanks in advance...

honeydew

hi gerline,

ur requested recipe.......

Pandan Sponge Cake

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
125g castor sugar

Sift:
Pinch of salt
125g plain flour

1 tbsp pandan juice
1/8 tsp pandan essence
60g butter - melt

Method:
Grease & flour a 23cm round cake tin. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place eggs & sugar in a mixing bowl over a large pan of simmering water & whisk briskly until mixture thickens & almost doubles in volume.

Remove bowl from the simmering water & continue to whisk until mixture turns cool. Mix in sifted flour. Gradually drizzle in the cooled melted butter. Fold in gently with a metal spoon.

Pour mixture into prepared tin. (Smoothen the surface with a spatula) Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked. The cake is cooked if the surface is golden brown & it shrinks slightly from the sides of the tin.

Remove cake from oven & leave to cool in the tin for 5 to 6 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.

maemae

can anyone share with me the receipt of making a pizza? thks!

i tried to find the previous posting but can't find.

G

gerline

Hi honeydew,

thanks for the recipe.

Do I have to take note of anything to ensure the cake to be spongy? I've tried a pandan cake recipe once, the cake did not turn out to be spongy so I'm hope this recipe is right for me.

moonflower

Is anybody here using olive oil for cooking? Does it make the food taste better? And is it really as healthier than other cooking oils as claimed?

I am comtemplating switching to olive oil.

moonflower

Anybody knows the easiest way to kill a crab? Been wanting to prepare crab (crap??!!) dishes but i have not been able to get around with the killing of it.

Seen my mum chop it into half and the half body of the crab can still move..pretty scary. And they don't sell "dead" crabs, it's always live crabs..

Wonder if it will work if i freeze it to death?? But what if after i thaw it, it gets revived again???
crazy.gif

cheval

hi moonflower,

my mum taught me b4 using chopstick, stuck in each eye with a chopstick, one more stick at the back to be safe.

cheval

joseph

Hi moonflower,
poke ONE chopstick between the last 2 'legs' not the eyes. Preferably nearer to the last leg which is the smallest one. Leave in the basin. Wait 5 mins. Walla! It's dead!! It's really dead!

forgetmenot

Hi,

anyone has recipe for tau sua?

Moonflower,
i'm using olive oil for cooking..but i'm usin extra light one..cos afraid tt my hubby can't take the taste..

basically i think olive oil is better,nu oni use a bit for cooking unlike normal oil..as u tend to use more in cooking...

J

jo

Is this the one

Lek Tau Suan
Ingredients:
Split green bean (mung beans. Without the green skin, it's actually yellow)

sweet potato flour

sugar

pandan leaves

Method:

Soak split beans for an hour or so, steam till cooked.

Score and tie pandan leaves into a knot put in a pot with water, add sugar and bring to boil. Removed pandan.

Mix sweet potato flour with water, stir and add too boiling liquid to thicken.

Add split beans and stir in ... done!

moonflower

Hi, anybody has quick and easy to prepare recipes? Like i saw this recipe in one of the mags, you can do a choco cake using microwave. Yet to try out, but sounds easy.

I have something to share here. I always use the toaster oven to "bake" fish. Not much washing up to do as compared to when you fry or steam.

Just marinate the fish wif salt, pepper, sassame oil. (You may like to use your own marinade)

Oil the aluminium foil with a bit of cooking oil so the fish won't stick. Then place the fish on the aluminium foil and bake it. Better to wrap up the fish a bit when you put in the aluminium foil. Coz the oil inside tends to sizzle and splatter a bit during baking.

You may add in cut chillis, sliced/shredded ginger, green pepper etc..

You can pretty much add in whatever you wish.

Like the other day, i had some grapes left over. So I halved some grapes and put at the side of the fish and bake together. Also sprinkled some grated cheese (also leftover) on the fish.

I usu use fish fillet. Think it's fast and hassle free. Sometimes i use the toaster oven to do drumlets or chix wings too. No frying and i think the oil is much lesser too.

F

fionnie

Think the best way to kill crab without any mess is still to freeze it overnight.

To prepare it, remove the shell from the body.
after that, u can chop it into half, then removed
the intestines or gills.

dolphin

Hi moonflower, forgetmenot

Sometimes I'm also using olive oil for cooking. fyi, I came across this from a cookery book, it mentions that if olive oil is used for cooking, a low heat must be used. It also mentions that some oil cannot be used for cooking, for eg sunflower oil. That's all I can remember..

giggler

Hi blurblur, what recipes u want from Carol? I've a compilations of recipes that were posted here. Let me know the dish and I'll post it here.

BTW, I need help !!! I'm looking for recipe on local desserts like ice kachang, ice jelly,etc.... Anyone knows where can I get recipe book on these?

Cheers

C

cd

Hi

Anyone know how to made Tofu ? Where can i get to get the ingridents? Thanks!

annmelody

Carol,

Could i Have a loist of your recipe if you dun mind. Me like to cook as well :p

BTW, do anyone here know how to make water chestnut cakes...similar to the jelly kind?

dolphin

Hi ladies,

Anybody tried making lemon chicken? I tried it over the weekend, using Carol's recipe.
When it's still in the wok, I use the chopstick to touch it, it was hard. After I remove from the wok and let it cool, it became soft. Is the chicken supposed to be crispy or soft? If I remember correctly, the lemon chicken from food caterer are not crispy, so that means it's supposed to be soft one, right?

Anyone use breadcrumbs for deep frying to make the food more crispy?

annmelody

BB,

For green bean soup is relatively easy.

Ingredients

*Green Bean - About a dollar worth
*Pandan Leaves - About 2 and tie in a knot for added fragrance
*Brown or white sugar - To taste according to sweetness preference

Method:

* Bring Green Bean and hot boiling water to boil in a crockpot on high for about 10 minutes.
*Add in Pandan leaves and cook on high for another 20 minutes or till green bean soften.
* Lastly, remove pandan leaves and add sugar to desired sweetness.

giggler

WATER CHESTNUT CAKE
“BU BU KAO SHENG”

INGREDIENTS: 140g water chestnut starch
190g sugar
250g skinned water chestnuts, chopped into small pieces
¾ cup water
1 ½ cups coconut milk
1 cup fresh milk

METHOD:

1. Mix the water chestnut starch well with water, filter the mixture through a screen
2. Boil the coconut milk, fresh milk and sugar over medium heat
3. Add in the shredded water chestnut and bring the mixture to a boil again
4. Stir in the chestnut starch mixture
5. Lightly coat a cake tin with oil before pouring the above mixture into it
6. Steam the chestnut paste over high heat for about 30 mins until it is cooked and firm
7. After the cake is cooked, cut it into slices and serve
8. Alternatively, you may want to shallow-fry the slices with a light cornflour coating

annmelody

Giggler,

Is the your water chestnut cake the clear version as i reliease that you placed coconut milk in it.

I tried a version that includes wheat flour, chestnut flour and topica flour which is slightly clear but not the texture i want. Kindly advise.

greenbean

hi annemelody, the pandan leave can be added first to the boiling water and boil the leaves until u can smell the fragrance, then add in the green beans as the beans can get soften quite easily.
this is just my way. ^_*

happy cooking

joy

hi giggler

I saw tat carol has recipe for the cereal prawn n requested for it. I have not received it. Do you have that recipe and can i have it?