Cooking Recipes as promised

corodory

Hi Winnie
Can I have your consolidated recipe too.
My email: [email protected] (no .sg behind ok)

I also started to cook after i got married. I depends alot on those Knnor cubes. I know its not good bec alot of msg but that is the only way to prepare fuss-free soup base.

Thanks.

corodory

Hi ladies

check out this website...www.foodnetwork.com
this is an american website so certain ingredients can twist and turn abit. it is a good website bec' besides recipe, there are others like cooking tips etc which is very informative. hope you gals like it.

cheers

lilacz

Hi Winnie,

I would like to try baking the marble cake in your recipe collection, but not sure what is coffee essence.Can u enlighten me on this?And do i have to melt the butter before adding to the egg mixture?Appreciate your help.Thanks.

pooh_ger

Kelly,
I dun mind gg anywhere wif u..but me now got no time to be organiser cos u noe lah got handfuls of task waiting for me.....btw did u received my updated recipe?

pooh_ger

Hi Lilacz,
1. Coffee essence is jus like those vanilla essence, rose essence in bottle form if u r not sure can get it from phoon huat...

2. U jus have to leave the butter to defrost to room temp (so it will be soft) den add into the egg mixture & mix till mixture is fluffy...

3. UHT milk is jus normal fresh milk.

Hope the above can help u.....happy baking

mint

Hi Winnie,
Thanks for the new recipes. Will try out when free. These few days really very busy, maybe that's why fall sick so easily. Good luck for your driving test. I'm sure you'll pass! Jia You!!
happy.gif

Keruri,
Thanks. Feeling better now but still weak... I think too stressed liao. Hey, the cooking class sounds interesting.
happy.gif

pooh_ger

hi Pamela,
U're welcome & tks.....me too hope will pass no confidence....
Take care especially nowadays weather not very good must take Vit C & drink lotsa lotsa water... Dun over-stress urself must take good care....

lilacz

Hey Winnie,

Thanks alot for the info!If u need any other recipe let me know, if i have i can share with you too.
happy.gif
Always get from you very pai seh.

corodory

Hey Winnie
Thanks a lot for sending me the recipe. It really is a lot of work for you. very pai-seh. Hope that it doesn't affect your office work.

Take care.

keruri

thanks, corodory, for sharing with us the website! will def check it out!
happy.gif

btw, have u tried using ikan billis to boil your soup base? i find it quite fuss free too leh. you just need to dish out the ikan billis with a sieve after the soup is boiled. u can add a few dried scallops to it to make the soup more tasty. i usu do this for my mee sua soup base.

keruri

hi winnie,
yes! thanks! i got your additional recipes. i'm looking at trying them soon.
happy.gif
as for the cooking course, no prob! btw, how was your seletar broadway gathering?

Gals, what kinda courses would you like to join? baking or cooking? chinese, japanese or fusion cooking?

keruri

Got a question to ask the baking experts here:
i baked a brownie last weekend but my brownie is a bit crumbly in the middle. does anybody know why this is so and what can i do to prevent it? there are 2 things i did that are not according to the recipe. 1) i used a 7-inch by 7-inch baking tin instead of a 8-inch by 8-inch baking tin. 2) i baked an additional 10 minutes. thanks for any advice in advance!

pooh_ger

Kelly,
Our gathering for the other thread was fun & eat untill during driving lesson nearly fell asleep...We had steamboat at the organiser (Sandy) house. For the cooking class i'll prefer baking class.

keruri

Good morning, Winnie! Great, i love baking too. hee... there are 2 places i usu go for my baking classes, Phoon Huat in Geylang & National Cuisine Gallery at Bukit Merah. But the latter does not always offer baking classes and they uses microwave. Let me see what Phoon Huat has to offer then if u have no objection.
happy.gif

Ladies, if u have any objections to Phoon Huat, Geylang for cooking class, please voice it out. Thanks!!!

okeanosmao

gals check with u all, when i bake butter cake, the middle portion (small area) always not cook yet. n the duration for 1hr is oredi yup. then everytime i add on timing, the top layer cake (skin) will bcome chao ta...
i'm using 18l oven only..not the big type.

anyone knows how to correct this?

keruri

hi okeanosmao,
if u r already halfway thru baking and find that the middle is not cooked, add another 5-10mins but reduce the temp by 10-20 degs to continue baking.

another mtd u can try is to add 10 deg more to the oven temperature that you are supposed to set. but u need to monitor the time, esp if this is the first time u try this temp setting. it shld be baked earlier or at least by the time stated, depending on your oven.

hope this helps. happy baking!
happy.gif

keruri

hi winnie,
it's ok, it's all right, winnie, winnie, fight fight fight!!!
happy.gif
make it a resolution to pass with just 6 demerit points next time! jia you! btw, u taking test at ubi or yio chu kang?

as for the baking class, Hougang or Ang Mo Kio one got no hands-on. Stand there see teacher do oni. Geylang one more fun. hee.. it's near aljunied mrt too. but if u prefer amk or hougang then we go there lor. let me guess, u must be staying in the NE area. hee.. oops.. can i say this in this thread? :p

corodory

hi keruri
i did use the ikan bilis for soup base. But sometimes i need chicken stock...so instead of using chicken bones or whatever..i usually use a pc of the knorr chicken cube lor.

Last night i also use 1 chicken cube for the base, then i throw in tofu, tomato, one egg and one chopped celery...my husband says nice...haha..

Hi winnie
have you tried those recipe u consolidate. The prawn recipe looks yummy...will want to try it out someday. I love prawns...hehe...

pooh_ger

Kelly,
Me Took my test from Ubi loh..... Ya i staying NE...but if this 2 branches dun hav hands on den better go geylang but must meet me at MRT stn hor...wait i'll lost my way leh (Cos i'm a mrt idiot)....keke---

Hi Corodory,
Ya can try the cereal prawn & deep fried prawns u'll def luv it for life....keke

Btw, ladies dun use too much of chicken, ikan bilis cubes or concentrated chicken stock or watever lah cos not very good for our body system. Can always cook 1 big pot of stock (either chicken or ikan bilis) leave it to cool store it in container & keep in the fridge can at least last u for a week....(Dats wat my PIL always do)...

sparks

Anyone knows how to cook barley with the beancurd sheet?? Do we need to soak the beadcurd sheets before throwing them into the pot?? My sheets dont seem to break up ...

cosmicstar

I have some minced pork in my freezer. Anyone knows what else I can cook with minced pork other than steam egg with minced pork? Thanks a million!

folic

Java,

here's a suggestion:

Ingredients:

Garlic
Dark Soya Sauce
Minced pork

Steps:

1.Mince garlic till fine
2. Stir fry garlic in wok till fragrant
3. Add minced pork
4. Add soya sauce (just enuff to make pork black)
5. Add some water and let it simmer for a while

Taste good with porridge!
happy.gif

Do you have hot bean sauce at home? If yes, you can also cook ma po tou fu. Get one sq box tofu and cut into cubes. Stir fry garlic till fragrant, add pork and hot bean sauce. Put in tofu. Add water and some corn starch.

folic

folic

Another one:

Ingredients

400g minced pork

1 tbsp chopped preserved tung choy

1 salted egg, separated

1 egg, lightly beaten

100ml lukewarm water

Seasoning:

1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

1/8 tsp pepper

Pinch of sugar

1/2 tsp corn flour
Method
Combine pork, tung choy and seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Stir well to mix. Chop salted egg yolk into tiny pieces. Keep the white aside. Mix beaten egg with pork mixture and chopped salted egg yolk. Pour mixture into a deep-heat resistant plate and stir in egg white. Add lukewarm water. Steam over medium heat until the meat is cooked. This dish is excellent with hot porridge.

folic

corodory

Hi winnie
DO you use the whole chicken to make the chicken stock? Just boil it? How about the chicken meat, do u eat it after taking the stock? won't it be very "no taste". Sorry so many questions as i really want to try using less cubes.

Thanks.
corodory

pooh_ger

Corodory,
It's very easy, just go to those wet market & buy fresh chicken breast meat & use it to make the stock. We usually dun eat the meat after using it to make the stock cos it tasteless already....
Can use chicken bone oso but chicken abit oily (cos those are usually neck bone). Stock from breast meat makes clearer soup base.

Can try using fish bone to make stock too....

Note: PLs wait for water to boil 1st b4 adding bone or meat so the soup will turn out clear ok!!!

Hope the above could help!

corodory

Hi Winnie
Thanks. But hor my hubby sure won't allow me to throw away the meat bec he usually eat everything, including those "tasteless" meat. He says just add some soy sauce or chilli sauce can liao **headache**.
Actually for the cubes, i also didn't add alot. I usually use 1 cube for 3 bowls of water. Then I add "mi zao" (sweet dates), throw in corn and carrot, then the soup will be tasty lor.

corodory

hi gals
I am always confuse with cornflour, corn starch, tapoica flour, tapoica starch, baking flour and multi-purpose flour. anyone can enlighten me what to use for what.

pooh_ger

Hi corodory,
It better not to use those cubes cos contains lotsa lotsa of msg...if ur hubby wants to eat the tasteless meat is still fine cos can be eaten 1...
Maybe the next time round u try to add as u mentioned above sweet dates, carrot & corn den u add in pork ribs.....it taste perfect...but this soup cannot keep in the fridge as stock so dun cook too much prepare jus nice for 1 meal!

As for cornflour is use to make cornstarch, tapoica flour is use to make tapoica starch. But cornstarch & tapoica strach is use for thickening of gravy...... Baking flour is for baking cakes, pastry & cookies. Lastly multi-purpose flour is use for baking & batter for deep frying... Usually when using plain flour den add baking powder/flour cos multi-purpose flour & self-rasising already having baking flour/powder added in it's contents liao.......

postpet2

ladies,

can i know how to make cream sauce for pasta ah?
I love creamy pasta. but was wondering how to make the sauce..
any experts?

keruri

hi ladies!
no wonder my hb said the soup is tastier when i used chicken cube that day as i ran out of ikan billis. so it has alot of msg.... chey...

corordory: i made chicken stock without throwing away the chicken before. maybe u wanna try? i used this steamer and pot to steam the chicken. i put the steamer on top and the pot with water below. the steamer has holes so the juice will seap thru the holes into the pot at the bottom. so at the end of this, i get the chicken and the stock. to make the chicken stock more tasty, you can add dried scallops to the water in the pot first. this stock is not as concentrated as the one winnie made but i think it does the trick if u r just cooking soup for 2.
happy.gif

keruri

hi sparks,
if your beancurd sheets do not break up after you boil them, you probably bot the non-dissolvable type. u can get the dissolvable type instead from the provision shop. just ask the shop keeper for the type that will dissolve in water. i bot a pack recently in ghim moh, it costs abt $1.50 per pack. the dissolvable type is more oily than the non-dissolvable one. but not all of it will be dissolved, just most of it. break it into smaller pieces so that it is easier to dissolve.

mindy

winnie
was reading your posting.. chix breast can use as chix stock huh? din know that.. i tot only chix bone that we buy fm supermarket can be used.

i always throw chix bone b4 boiling .. no wonder, my soup is cloudy

keruri

hi java,
u can try to make either the teochew minced pork ball or minced pork fried with black bean paste and some garlic. they r both easy and fast to make.

For minced pork ball,
Ingredients:
400g minced pork
10 small onions, finely chopped
Seasoning (soya sauce & pepper)
Corn flour

Method:
1. Mix the chopped onion into the minced pork. (You can put more or less onions depending on preference.)
2. Add seasoning to taste.
3. Add cornflour until you are able to form a meatball with a spoon.
4. Scoop up the minced pork mixture with a spoon to make it into a meat ball. Lay them on a plate and steam over medium heat for 15 mins or till cooked.

corodory

Hi winnie
thanks for explaining the diff usage of flour. If i wanna fried crispy prawn, shd i just coat it with multi-purpose flour or must add water.

Hi Keruri
all along i know the cube got alot of msg, that is why i only use 1 cube=3 bowls of water. i will try the steaming version after i get a steamer
happy.gif

JL
for all raw food, like chicken, bones or even prawns, you got to wait till the water is boiling hot than you can throw in.

have a nice weekend to all.
corodory

pooh_ger

Corodory,
U Can look out in my receipes dat u've received, Tthere one recipe "Everlasting Crispy Prawns" dat is a good one.....or if u 1 a simplified 1 can do these:
Self-raising
oil
salt
water
Mix all the above in a big maixing bowl & stir till everything is dissolve to a fine batter & its ready to be use. (Must seasoned u prawns first).

Fyi gals,
Giant supermarket (@Turf city) is having special offer for 3-tier stainless steel steamer is only selling at $19.90...

keruri

hi snowbuni07,
yes, this is the one.
happy.gif

hi sparks,
this recipe goes out to you too.
happy.gif

Beancurd sheet with barley and ginko nut

Ingredients:
- 200g barley
- 2 pcs of rock sugar (I use those big rock sugar (cane sugar) types, if you are using the small pcs of rock sugar, it's abt 1/3 pack.)
- 1 beancurd sheet (abt 10" x 10", buy those that will dissolve when boiled, break the beancurd sheet into smaller pieces so that it's easier to dissolve.)
- 1litre water or more if the barley has soaked up the water
- 200g ginko nuts
- sugar syrup

Method:
1. Boil the ginko nuts in sugar syrup. Drain and set aside the ginko nuts.
2. Boil water in a pot.
3. Put in the barley after the water has boiled. Stir occassionally until the water boils again.
4. Put in the beancurd sheet. Turn down the heat and continue to boil for another half an hour or so. Stir occassionally.
5. Add in the ginko nuts after the barley is cooked and the beancurd sheet has dissolved.