Cooking Recipes as promised

angph38

<font color="aa00aa">winnie,</font>
sorry, din come in here yesterday.

i've clear the mailbox, now using only 10% of the storage space. hope it gets thru this time.

thanks a zillion.

folic

HI lilacz,

glad you manage to cook the pasta successfully!

Usually, I will soak the glutinuous rice overnight or at least 3-4 hours. Then I drain away the water and steam for about 45 mins or till soft.

folic

lilacz

Hi folic,

So to make the lor mai kai, i got to cook the glutinuous rice first right?And to cook glutinuous rice, is it the same as cooking white rice, one cup of rice one cup of water then steam?

folic

Hi lilacz,

no, there is no need to put water in the rice. You basically soak the rice overnite and then drain off all water. I used a tray that is used for baking cake and put the rice in it. Then I steam it in a kuali. When the fice is soft, I add in the seasoning. Then I put the chicken etc at the bottom of the foil cup, then cover with the rice. Sprinkle some water on top before steaming the mai kai. Otherwise the rice on top will be hard.

folic

pooh_ger

Hi Kelly,
How R u today? feeling better... nowadays weather not too good alot of ppl not feeling well must drink lotsa lotsa water &amp; take Vit C.... Take care....

skyblue

Hi winnie,

Thks for ur recipes
happy.gif

folic

Hi gals, how is your weekend?

I decided to cook up a storm yesterday afternoon. I did Chicken Vindaloo and it turned out very well. Thought I would share the recipe here:

Ingredients:

600g chicken thigh
1 Bombay onion
1 tomato, diced
2 tbsp tomato puree/paste
3 tbsp meat curry powder
3-4 stalk curry leaves
3-4 tbsp oil
125 ml water

Marinate:

1/2 cup Yoghurt
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp garlic
2 tbsp ginger juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black ground pepper

Steps:

1. Marinate the chicken with the marinate for 3-4 hours.
2. Heat oil and fry onions till soft.
3. Add in curry leave, curry powder, some water and fry till curry powder is fragrant and oil separates.
4. Add in chicken(together with the marinate), tomato, tomato puree.
5. Simmer the curry for about 30 mins or till gravy thickens.

It is very yummy.. spicy and a bit sourish.
happy.gif

Enjoy!
folic

folic

Another simple recipe.. actually, this is classifed as confinement food in the cook book that I have but hey, it taste good, so why not right?

Crispy Vermicilli egg

Ingredients:

3 eggs
2 small bundle of vermicilli (tang hoon)
Small section of gineger thinly sliced
1 stalk spring onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoon sesame oil (you can subsititute with normal oil if you are not cooking for confinement, but it smells good )
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Steps:

1. Soak the vermicilli till soft. Alternatively, you can put the vermicilli in boiling water for 30-40 sec
2. Beat the eggs, add in spring onion, salt, pepper and vermicilli.
3. Heat pan and add sesame oil.
4. fry ginger till fragrant
5. Add in egg mixture and fry till crispy.

folic

sparks

Hi Ladies,

Wow all of you are such good cook &amp; I can't help thinking how my poor husband has suffered for the past years...

Has anyone got any tried and tested good tiramisu recipe to share?? Good recommendation of cook books??

Winnie , Is is possible for me to have the recipes u have consolidated thus far? my email address [email protected]

anissa

Hi Folic,

Thanks for your recipe on Chicken Vindaloo. I just want to ask where you buy Bombay onions? You didn't mention whether the onion should be sliced or diced. And for curry powder, is it any brand will do or do you have one to recommend?

Thank you
happy.gif

folic

HI Anissa

actually, I am not sure what is a bombay onion but since the recipe says only 1, I assumed it is the bigger one. So I juts bought those normal 'big onion' and it turned out fine. It should be diced. If you want to put in a food processor to chop it up, also ok. If you like very spicy food, you might also want to chop some dried chilli into the recipe. For curry powder, my mum buys the brand that has a globe on the plastic cover. It is those dry type (not those paste type) and I used the one for meat curry.

Hope this helps.
folic

corodory

Hey all

some questions on making sushi, hope you gals can help.

1) anyone knows what is the correct method in cooking sushi rice? some told me the seasoning (vinegar, sugar, salt) need to be cook whereas some say no need, just add into the rice when the rice is cook.

2) what is the best method to cool down the sushi rice? can i put into freezer for few mins?

3) when spreading the sushi rice on the seaweed, spread all over the seaweed or half of it?

thanks.

corodory

hey...sorry another question...

anyone knows what is the best way to store shallots/garlic and ginger? i always peel in advance those and put in a box and store in the refrigerator...but after few days, the bud starts to appear...even if i put outside for a period of time, the bud will also appear...any one can advise?

meowie

corodory,
for me, i place the garlic outside, didn't see any bud. But as for ginger, if i still have some left over, i wrap them in cling wrap and place it in my lock and lock container along spring onions.

keruri

hi gals,
i'm back, after mia for some time.

winnie, i've fully recovered liao. thanks for asking!gee.. it takes that long without medication.

folic, thanks for sharing so many of your recipes! i tried frying vermicilli eggs last weekend but i put in too much vermicilli and my fried eggs became rather dry and hard.
sad.gif
any tips on frying this so that it won't get too dry?

keruri

hi corodory,
1) the sushi seasoning (vinegar mix) is only added after the rice is cooked. u can cook ur rice with dried kelp but not the vinegar mix. i dun usu put the dried kelp cos u need to remove it just before the boiling point. a bit troublesome and hard to estimate if using a rice cooker. u can refer to this website for the steps &amp; ingredients:
http://www.bento.com/trt-sushirice.html

2) the best way to cool the rice is to spread it out on a flat-based bowl. i used a sushi rice tub for this. then cut thru the rice &amp; fan it to cool it lor. i've never tried putting it in a freezer.

3) u spread the rice over half or 3/4 of the seaweed.

folic

HI Keruri,

Glad to hear you tried out the recipe. I think you should beat the egge well.. till there is foam before adding the tang hoon. Also, cos the tanghoon is already cooked, you can use slow fire. That way, you make sure your egg is fluffy and the tanghoon got a chance to get 'brown'.

folic

keruri

thanks, folic!
happy.gif
u got any more of those recipes for yummy confinement dishes? like pork knuckles in vinegar, etc? :p i happen to love sesame oil and ginger. hee...

corodory

Hey anyone got recipe for how to make "ber-ge-del" (i know the spelling is wrong)...u know those potato thingy that always have it in malay nasi store...or most of the time ppl eat with mee-soto i think...

thanks.

pinkrosie

Hello
Can someone be kind to send me the consolidated recipes?
I am interested in them and would like to try cooking some of the dishes.
Thanks much mcuh!

folic

Hi keruri,

no, I don't have anymore confinement food recipes
happy.gif

Hi JL,

I usually like to put cha siew and prawns in my fried rice. I don't like to put frozen veg, especially frozen peas!
happy.gif

So usually, what I do is go to market and buy those cha siew (i usually buy about $3 and ask them to chop up in small cubes for me), buy some small prawns (if lazy can buy those already peeled from supermart), eggs (I usually use the formula (number of person + 1), lots of garlic.

Steps:

1. Crack eggs into a bowl and beat well (till bubbly), season with soya sauce/pepper). Fry an omelette and cut into strips. ( I like eggy fried rice)
2. Fry the garlic till fragrant. Add shrimps
3. Add in rice and fry in high heat. Add in one more beaten egg and fry quickyly so that the egg coats the rice.
4.Add in the omelette strips and cha siew
5. garnish with spring onion and corriander leave.

folic

keruri

hi folic,
it's okie! will share with u if i can find some more confinement recipes.
happy.gif

hey, i cook fried rice the same way as you too, esp the way to use the egg to coat the rice. hee... i hate the peas in frozen veg as well. :p i like char siew cos it's a bit sweet. i add sesame oil to my fried rice as well cos i love sesame oil and it makes it fragrance.

keruri

hi JL,
u can also try the following ingredients for an alternative type of fried rice. my gf cooked it before and we all love it.

Ingredients:
- pickled olive veg, u can buy bottled ones from provision shop
- ikan billis
- minced meat
- rice
- garlic
- seasoning

Steps:
1. Wash &amp; soak the ikan billis in salt water. Drain it well before frying.
2. Fry the ikan billis till cooked. Dish it out.
3. Fry minced garlic till fragrant.
4. Add in the minced meat to fry till almost cooked.
5. Add in the rice and mix.
6. Add in the olive vegs and mix.
7. Add in the ikan billis and mix.
8. Season with soya sauce and pepper to taste.

folic

Hi keruri,

I like olive veg very much. I can just eat white porridge with that and fermented bean curd :D

I will try this next time!

folic

pooh_ger

hi all,
Gd Morning...

Hi Kelly,
looks like we got cancel our gathering again cos respond not very gd leh!! Wat do u think?

keruri

hi folic,
i'm glad u like olive veg. i think it's a healthy choice.
happy.gif

hi winnie,
u r back! tot u won't be back till monday. umm... how bad is it? i think four or five at a gathering is still ok provided everyone turns up.

btw, pinkrosie has requested for your consolidated recipes. could u forward a set to her? mine are all unzipped and a bit messy liao. :p thanks!

keruri

gals gals!!
come join us for a chit chat cum sharing session this coming Saturday leh... take a break from ur wedding preps lah. we can share our wedding preps experience too.
happy.gif

pooh_ger

Hi Kelly,
If there are ppl interested i dun mind to proceed wif our original plan for the gathering, but the problem is even those who have RSVP wif us did not contact us or feedback... maybe can we try to send a reminder email? So how?

Ya I'm back cos down wif terrible flu &amp; mirgraine ^___^

keruri

Hi Winnie,
Let's send them a reminder email lor. If we get no replies by Friday then we call it off? I think some of them dun check the forum as frequently.

Hv u seen a doc for ur flu &amp; migraine? Rest as much as u can, it's the best medicine for flu. Hope u get well soon.

mint

Hi Winnie,
I'm able to make it this Sat. Are we meeting for lunch, tea or dinner? Do keep me updated, ok? Look forward to seeing you gals.
happy.gif