Conrad Centennial Singapore

snowie

Hi Ryn, Faith, Jo, Joyce, Eve et. al.,

I'm so impressed by the willingness of everyone to share so freely at this site! This forum is a gem!

Eve,
Yes, Conrad would be charging $1,000 for rental of the poolside area, if you're holding your dinner banquet with them. (It would cost $3,000 if you're not). It works out quite well, cos you could request for the flowers from the ballroom(included within the package) to be brought for use at the poolside area first, before moving them to the ballroom for the dinner. That should save you quite a bit for the decoration. However, you might have to pay an additional $2 for seat covers for chairs at the poolside, cos the package only includes seat covers for chairs in the ballroom. Then again, you could alway try to drive a hard bargain and see how far you can get!

The other alternative you can evaluate is Hyatt. They've a very beautiful Balinese Garden - having a solemnisation there would be really pretty... They also charge $1,000 if you're having a banquet with them. The downside is that the food there still earns not-too-good a reputation, and the service too.. So it boils down to how well you work with the banquet sales people..

Jo,
Thanks much for the info. My wedding would be in Mar 2002 - I guess waiting till Oct would be a tat too risky eh? I had better get my lazybones cracking and do something before that!

Faith,
Thanks for the advice. I've only attended one bridal show at Ritz-Carlton, featuring American Wedding Treasures. I didn't enquire much about the bridal package then cos I was hoping to settle the dinner venue first. I should be going for the one at Conrad - keep us posted yeah?

Hi Ryn,
Ahhh.. I see.. So you're getting the poolside for your buffet dinner, and they'll save the ballroom for you in case it rains. Essentially, it's as if you've already booked the ballroom for a dinner banquet, but they're letting you use the poolside for free instead?

I guess it works out quite the same. I'll have to pay $1,000 for the poolside, and in the event that it rains, the solemnisation would be held at the Grand Salon just beside the ballroom - it's a nice cosy room.. So in that sense, I'm not really "paying" for the Grand Salon..

Hey! Sounds like you've gotten quite a good deal! You've got 50 bottles of wine waived?? What does that mean? You can bring in 50bottles of wine for free?! Do they all have to be duty-paid? I need to up the bottles they're allowing us to bring in. I'm doing my own cards too.. and they told us that we could get back $1 for each card that we don't need.. so I guess it would come up to be about $200+. Wonder how I can work that into waiver for wine now..

Cakes.. We thought that we cut a REAL cake, or not at all.. Not too keen on cutting a cake that the whole world knows it's a fake! :p So we're prepared to do away with the cake-cutting and champagne pouring.. Any great ideas on whatelse we could do since we're doing almost nothing??
happy.gif

I've not heard about the green wedding theme.. Is that with the green table cloths? What about the flowers? Know of any more weddings coming up over the next few weekends that we could "spy" on? :p

Hmm.. I'm really curous how bad a mistake Cathryn made with your mom! Anyway, it does sound serious.. good on you that you'd insisted on getting someone else to serve you. Gee, I need all the luck I can get! It's OUR BIG DAY, and the last thing I want is someone else to mess it up for us! And definitely not the banquet manager! :p

faith

Dear Snowie & the rest
Please help me.....i'm going crazy !!!! I'm troubled with the decision of who to book with.

I've gone down to see Westin's ballroom & their suite yesterday. The Plaza suite wasn't so attractive as expected except the shower/bathroom is quite fantastic (zen look). I found that the ceiling of Raffles Ballroom is far too high and doesn't look cozy for my banquet size (25 tables), though the ballroom is nice. The plus point for Westin is that Eunice is really a very nice & friendly lady to talk to and believe she will be very nice to work with, the Stamford Crest Suite is fantastic, seen fr photo (now on renovation, no change to view).

Compared ballroom to ballroom, i really like Conrad's ballroom very much and also the look of the hotel though their price is more expensive, i'm considering to compromise. My hubby wants me to arrange to meet up with the director of catering cos the last time he was held up with work and couldn't go with me. The catering ppl. appears to be abit unfriendly, asking me what's the reason of coming down for the 2nd meeting ???? What's wrong with coming down for the 2nd time, 3rd time and etc.....they dun seems to be interested to spare us the time...what a question to ask ???? Snowie, did you book with them during yr 1st or 2nd meeting ? No further discussion or considerations ? Basically becos i like the hotel so much, that's why i'm so obliging but my hubby would be very angry with their attitute if i told him this cos he will definitely think that we are the customer, we are paying for a good service and there's no need to 'swallow' these anger etc......I'm disappointed with them but yet really like the hotel.....how ?

ryn

Hi Snowie, Faith, Jo and everyone,

You got that correct! And Eve, you can ask if they can waive the $2 for the chair cover. That's what they did for me - both in the ballroom and at the pool area. Be insistent! Yes, wines have to duty paid. I was talking to a fren abt the restriction and he said to buy bottles of wine the come in magnum aka 1.5 litres instead of the usual 750ml. No one said anything abt size! As for the cake, how abt getting your own?

They have a green colour theme. Ask Catheryn for the pics. There is a wedding this coming Sat, one on the 16th of June and another on the 7th of Jul. And both are in the Ballroom.

Faith, don't worry abt going down there many times. I was there 5 times before we signed. Met with Catheryn 2 times and Debby once before we ready to sign. All other times was other ppl to check out the place. Ask to speak with Jennifer or Catheryn in good to speak with initially. See the regular suite and the presidential suite (they are having a promo with Female Brides for a free upgrade), the Grand Salon, Ballroom and everything you want to see. Don't sign until you are comfortable. If you are getting bad service, make noise abt it, and insist on changing the slaes person. That way, the next sales person has to be nice to you, and chances are they will be more flexible so as to make up for the boo boo. Remember, you are the client. And the customer is ALWAYS right!!
happy.gif

bee

Hi everyone,

Actually, i am interested in conrad's wedding package esp since like u already know, there is this promotion to upgrade to the president's suite. However, even before i actually asked my husband to go down to meet catheryn for a discussion, i called her and she told me that the promotion is over which is such a let-down. Wonder if anyone has recently liaisied with conrad and knew whether the promotion is still on? Meanwhile, i am also considering hotels like westin, marriot and inter-con. Any comments?

snowie

Hi Faith,

I can relate to the "dilemma" you're going through. For my case, after our first meeting with Conrad, we were asked for a date so that they could make a tentative booking for us. We didn't have one then, and besides we just started shopping around, so we didn't want to commit to any degree no matter how little. Then over lunch, we thought perhaps we should be a bit "kiasu" and called them and gave them one of our "favourable" dates, but it was taken. So we just dismissed Conrad for the moment while scouting for other venues. The following day, we went down to take a look at a white-theme wedding and was pretty much impressed by it(but didn't show it, of course!).

And then a couple of days later, Conrad called us up and requested that we consider other dates. We said no, and then they offered to give us some "freebies" - which seems like part of the standard package now! :p That got us a little more interested cos the costs seemed a little reduced, and so we met them for a 3rd time to understand the package better.

We were more certain after that, and after some thoughts, decided to go with them. So they sent us the "contract" and we had so many questions/comments, that really threw them off their chairs! They said that they've encountered couples who are both lawyers but even then, never received so many queries! So we met for a 4th time to go through the concerns. And finally on the 5th meeting, we SIGNED! (They told us they were asked to give up on us if we still don't sign!)It must have been a huge relief to them!! We must have seem to be utterly difficult customers!

So Faith, do not get pressured - just go meet them, check out the place, as many times as you like before you commit. You should only sign WHOLEHEARTEDLY when you're really sure. Anyway, you've some time on your side right?

I had the same sentiments about Westin's ballroom. I felt that the ceiling was too high to be cosy, except for Stamford. Ballroom for ballroom, hotel for hotel, Conrad wins for me.

Ryn and I have dealt with the same sales person(Cathryn) from Conrad and had differing experience. You could try and see? Perhaps together with your hubby, they might offer better service??

Anyway, trust your women's instincts - how wrong can it go?
happy.gif

faith

Dear Ryn & Snowie
Thanks for yr comments. I wonder when Conrad says they blocked the date for us over the phone does consider a tentative booking cos Westin seems more sincere in their action....upon knowing our date, they send out a black & white proposal based on the date that we want together with the package details and menus. But so far, i've only receive Conrad's wedding package by email in the beginning, even when i've met up with Debbie, she also didn't give me any official proposal. My hubby has been busy these 2 weeks and couldn't make it to meet them during the weekdays' evenings, both of us has to work every Sat and when i suggest to meet her this Sat afternoon/evening, she mentioned that she worked only 1/2 day and next Sat is her off day but she offers to meet us on a weekday evening if we let her know earlier. Is Conrad's business really so good or was it that the sales ppl's attitute were like that ??? I've doubts whether they will be a good wedding planner/assistant if i confirm with them ??? Since both of u have already sign up with them, how helpful are they ? Is their service good ? I think they may think that we are not potential customer, if not why is there a different in attitute compared to yours ? I've emphasized to her that we are very interested in their package and had already confirmed the date and now is the moment where we are making decision whether who to book with.....we have to meet up with her to discuss in more details. sigh......
sad.gif

Dear Bee
No such thing as the offer for the upgraded suite is over ! Did you buy a copy of the female brides magazine ? Close to last page, there is this ad. from Conrad for this promotion, just tear out the page and present it to them. If i'm not wrong, so long as you confirm yr package with them before 30 Sep this year, this is valid.

bee

Hi Faith,

then catheryn is either not interested in my buisness or that she is trying to force me to make up my mind fast. do you believe this: she actually told me that the offer is valid only till the fateful day that i called her up and that i can get the offer provided i sign up with her on that day itself. wat a coincidence! this is ridiculous rt? how can i make up my mind so fast without viewing the suite and the ballroom?
guess i am an unwanted customer. the more i think abt it, the angrier i am. guess i will juz drop conrad from my list.

sorry if i have sounded rude. juz dun feel too gd abt wat happened.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Faith,

Actually, it is quite common that when a tentative date is blocked for you, no document is sent. The tentative date is blocked so that if another interested customer wants to confirm your date, the hotel will give you a call and see if you would like to confirm. Else, the hotel will release your date to the other couple.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

faith

Dear Bee
I can understand your frustration about them....it's really not worth paying a single penny for this kind of service. My hubby always reminded me not to compromise and oblige to them cos we are the customers and we are spending the money (huge money), therefore we have the utmost right to demand & bargain anything.....as a professional sales person, they should be polite, friendly and give us their best service....or elses no matter how nice Conrad Hotel is, these people are spoiling it's image. Instead of securing more customers, they're drawing customers away !!!!!! Wonder if the top management were aware and does take action???? If not, it's really a pity......I don't know what i'm going to do next.....perhaps will hold on my decision for awhile......

faith

Dear Chin Leng

Thanks for your advice. I also hope that Conrad is really sincere and treasure every possible customer.

snowie

Hi Ryn,

Seat covers..
The joy of sharing! Would like to find out something from you..
I was told.. that cos the package only includes seat covers for chairs in the
ballroom, and if I wanted seat covers for solemnisation at the poolside, there
are 2 options (1) I pay $2(for laundry and ironing) each for additional 100 seat
covers for poolside OR (2) they would have to move the chairs with seat covers
from the ballroom to the poolside and back. Option 1 : I need to pay more but
I've more control over the timing as they wouldn't need to move chairs around.
Option 2 : I was told I have to compromise on the timing cos they need time to
shift the chairs. I don't exactly favour Option 2 cos I don't have that much
control on the timing, and it also means that there's a longer break between
solemnisation and dinner and I don't want to keep the guests waiting too long.

Thus, Ryn, I wanted to find out from you (1) how many chairs are you needing for
the solemnisation? (2) did they say they've to move the chairs from the ballroom
to the poolside or something? (3) what's the timing like for your solemnisation
and dinner? I was really hoping they would just give us an additional 100 free
seat covers instead of moving the chairs around!

Wine..
Hey! That's a fabulous idea! Do all types of wine come in these 2 sizes? Or just
some types? And which?

Green vs White..

Green table-cloth? Is that the one with some greenish/yellowish imprints? I
think that's supposed to be part of the "standard" $998 package with "dried"
flowers. And the white wedding theme was supposed to be an additional $2K. But
they might have worked that into the new "standard" $1048 package. So how would
it look? Green tablecloth with white seat covers? What sort of table
centrepieces would you be getting?

snowie

Hi Faith,

Just to add on to Chin Leng's comments.. Yes, a proposal does not accompany a tentative booking. It's just to block the date. They only prepare the wedding agreement/proposal when you indicate that you would like to book a package with them. Even then, after you get to see that proposal, you're still not obliged to sign it if there are terms you're not comfortable with. So at this juncture, it's usual that you don't get a proposal.

How helpful are they? I've never dealt with them over the phone, so I can't comment on their helpfulness in that aspect. And for face2face encounters, I guess we don't have any "over and above" kind of requirements, and thus so far, they've been helpful enough. And I'm sure if it's cos we met them during office hours for 2 of our meetings, and perhaps they have more time to spare and more patience etc.. But we've met them several time after work, and they're still quite oke.. tho a li'l distracted sometimes..

Yes, unlike some other hotels where they do shiftwork, seems like Conrad doesn't. Or perhaps Debbie and Catheryn don't since they're at the Dir/Asst Dir level?? Are the managers around?? Perhaps they work the later shift? I think it's quite true, it's quite hard to get to meet them on weekday evenings, and even harder on weekends. This holds true even for other hotels. That's why I took leave and it was a breeze - we covered more than 6 hotels within a day.

Anyway, so Conrad has made a tentative booking for your confirmed date? Well, before you lose hope on them totally, perhaps you could give them one last chance to buck up - meet up with them together with your hubby and see how it goes. All ze best!

Hi Bee,

When was it that Cathryn told you the promotion is over? I think there is indeed a validity period, but I don't recall what the dates are, and can't check now cos I've passed my copy of the Female Brides page to them! In fact, I passed them the copy sometime in late April. I really hope Conrad's not turning you away deliberately!!! Sounds really scarie to me.. on how their attitude may just change on us one fine day!

ryn

Hi Faith, Bee and Snowie,

Faith and Bee, I'm sorry you guys had such bad experiences. We had a lukewarm experience from them until the incident. I had to be nasty and make a complaint. I guess Conrad is like that cos MINDEF uses them very often, and they are one of the more popular hotels for weddings. I was going to drop Conrad from my list, but FH liked it so much we insisted on changing the person servicing our account instead. In fact, I specifically said that I want some who can provide good service and go the extra mile for me.

Faith, if Catheryn tells you that she isn't free, tell her that you'll be happy to meet with other sales staff. Afterall, she's not the only one you can talk to. Ask her for a proposal in e-mail, go thru it with your hubby, and decide what you want to change wrt to menu, prices etc. and talk to her when you finally meet with her. You are spending a lot of money and shouldn't be pushed around by them.

I probably sound terribly aggressive, but I believe that no matter what sort of wedding you are having, them being in the service industry shouldn't be rude. What say you?

ryn

Hi Snowie,

I didn't see you msg till after I posted the last one. There isn't any additional cost for chair covers at all. And nothing mentioned abt moving the chairs. I think I will need abt 200 chairs for solomization, cos we are giving ppl the option to come or not. Tell them you already paid $1K for the Grand Salon, and that shld include the chair covers. If not, just take the chairs at the pool without covers. They are a nice cream, and the pool makes it fairly casual, so can get away without the covers. But first try to get it waived.

I'm trying to have the Ballroom earlier, say abt 6.30p and din at 7ish, but Debby will only let me know abt 1 mth before the wedding if I can have it earlier. If not, we will start at 7p and have dinner at 7.45pm.

Oh, the wines coming in different sizes depends on the wineyard or estate. When is your wedding? I'm going shopping for wines, and occasionally go for free wine tasting. Wanna come? That same fren said you can get magnum size bottles from Carrfore (sp?). I also have a few contacts for wines. Interested?

I didn't know there was extra charges for the white theme. We were given all options by Catheryn, and I guess Debby will have to honour that. Yes, the green theme is is the one you are talking abt. I suppose it's hard to compare with your package cos ours is a buffet? What sort of freebies are they giving you?

As for the flowers, I haven't decide yet. Something simple I suppose cos it isn't a formal event. What's yours? Let me know okay?

bee

Hi snowie and all,

the last time i spoke to catheryn was in late april. i am ok now, sort of feeling better after sharing it with you gals. in any case, i still have other options rt?

happy.gif

snowie

Hi Ryn,

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to push for.. to pay no more for the seat covers, but yet have say over the timing. The $1K is supposed to be for rental of the place ONLY.. Thanks for sharing your deal - I've more grounds to bargain now! ;p

Ok, from the timing, it seems like you need not cater time for the reception yeah? I thought of starting the solemnisation at 6pm, the reception at 7pm, and dinner at 7:30pm - if at all possible.

Hey! Thanks for the invite! But I think I'll leave the wine-shopping to my significant other! Keep me posted of your wine-hunt - perhaps I'll join you if I'm free. I would much appreciate your contacts though.. My wedding's 27 days before yours!
happy.gif
I don't think I've gotten a very good deal for the waiver of wine corkage - gotto work on that further.

Aiyah.. you didn't know there were extra charges for the white them?? Perhaps there weren't!!! I feel like maybe I've been cheated!! They said that the white wedding theme was chargeable, but they would give it to us free, and thus they deducted the number of bottles of wine waiver, if I rem correctly. I should have "consulted" this forum before I commited - Ryn, when did you sign the proposal with them?

Within the white theme package, they included white seat covers for all chairs, plus sashes for VIP seats, optional runners for the table, 8 floral stands and 1 arch(of likely white roses, gerberras and lilies-maybe can change), and centrepieces of a glassbowl with 2 large gerberras and 4 floating candles. These are the so-called "freebies"...

The combination of white roses, gerberras and lilies that I saw was quite nice - well, I need to visit Conrad more frequently and see what other floral options I have..

If you don't mind, could you share with us how much Conrad is charging for the buffet?

ryn

Hi Snowie,

I didn't think abt a reception cos the pool area has an open bar, and guests are encouraged to mingle and since it's a buffet, ppl can start when they want... Hmm... smthg to think abt...

Conrad is really sticky with the waiver for wines. I tried, my mother tried. They refused to budge for Sat, but were willing give more for a friday. Dat's why mine is on a Fri. But I do know of cases where couples have upgraded their menu to abt $100 per head, and have the corkage for all wines waived. How many bottles are you getting?

Please don't feel like you have been cheated! I'll feel terrible. Fact is, we have been rather demanding customers, and use all sorts of (unfair?)leverage against them. As for the centre pieces, we have decided on not having the glass bowl cos it's rather big, and no point having floating candles cos the bowl is rather shallow. I forgot to mention an additional cost. We are going to rent fans just in case it gets too hot and humid. It's $50 per fan, and a 1 time $150 transportation charge. So no can do... Just flora centre pieces will do, and we are making requests for candles to be put around pool area. If they dun want to, we'll just get our own! :p
Are you doing anything for "entertainment"... like having a saxophonist or something?

The buffet is abt $70 nett per head, but you can specify a budget you have, and they will work with it. So for ppl on a budget, you can opt for a buffet instead. There is a cold selection (5 items), salads, soup, hot selection (7 items), carving and desserts (8 items). yum... will have to get a empire waisted evening gown so I can eat and not show!! :p I'm meeting with Conrad over the next few days, and I'll let you know if there is an additional charge for the white theme.

will ask FH for the contacts for wines. He's the totally into it, and like you. I'm going to leave it up to him. I'll let you know if there are any wine tastings coming up.

faith

Thanks Snowie & Ryn
for your valuable advices. I agreed with Ryn that we shouldn't be pushed around by them, like what Bee had said, worse come to worst, i'll find other hotels. I guess i'll meet up with them again next week with my hubby. I do hope that Conrad shows more sincerity in welcoming us. By the way, is Debbie the highest position and Cathryn the 2nd highest position in the Catering Sales Dept of Conrad ? Do you know any other nice managers/executives etc....??? Sometimes when i called up, a lady by the name of Wei Nam sounds friendly and polite, wonder what's her position ?

snowie

Hi Ryn,

Just curious.. you've already signed up with Conrad right? When did you sign? Why is it that you need to meet them now? After I signed, I was told that they won't contact us till like 3 months(?) before the wedding date.

Hmm.. do you get the entire pool area? Or just one half of it where the bar is? It would be really nice to have candles all around, or better still, have candles floating all over in the pool!
happy.gif

Yes, I'm sure the additional cost for the fan would be worthwhile - your guests will appreciate it. Tell your girlfriends with long hair to tie their hair up! :p

Hmm..sticky with wines.. I think I'm getting like about 10 or 12 bottles.. half of the "standard".. And they halved it cos they said they were giving us the white theme for free! I'll be real pissed if we signed at about the same time, and they told us different stories about the white theme being chargeable/non-chargeable - kinda inconsistent yeah??

Entertainment.. haven't thought much about this.. We might get a friend to play the piano during the reception, but haven't thought any further.. Know of any good harpist? A saxophonist would really suit a pool party!

Hi Faith,

I haven't seen or heard anyone else but Debbie and Catheryn. I think there's a Joanne around, but I'm not sure if she's meant to be meeting customers, just know that she's incharge of preparing the wedding agreements..

ryn

Hi Snowie,

Haven't the time to reply you. Sorry. Can only do so this weekend cos I'm snowed under a pile of work and boss coming back on mon! *Help!* He was gone for reservist for a mth. Promise i will fill you in wiff the details later!!

Faith,
Ther is a Jennifer or Joanne. Heard that she's really good. Wei Nam assists Catheryn and Debby. When will you be meeting Conrad? Let me know and see if I can help.

Gotta get some shut eye... later!

faith

Dear Ryn
Actually thinking of meeting them up next week but again like to confirm with you regarding the tentative booking....Wei Nam said she has blocked the date that i want for me....any dateline for us to get back to them ??? Thinking of dragging the time till their show in July 22, '01.

faith

Dear Snowie
How long is the grace period for tentative booking for Conrad ? They told me 2 weeks. Did you exceeded 2 weeks before you actually sign up with them ? Wonder if i didn't give them an answer after 2 weeks, will they take action to release the date to others ???

Guess what ? Surprise !!! Debbie called me today and ask which day do i want to meet her next week !!!! Truthfully i'm so glad & surprise that she bothers to follow up on my appt. I thought they never treasure me as a customer ! I can't deny that her call actually regains abit of my trust and confident in Conrad, hope they can be as helpful & sincere throughout.
happy.gif

snowie

Hi Faith!

Good to hear that you've regained some of your name back from Conrad! :p

With Conrad, we had indicated disinterest all the way when they called us up(tarik harigal!:p) as they didn't have our choice date. Only till we were quite enticed with the package they proposed, did we give them another 2 dates that we liked. They went off to check with the couple on our first choice of these 2 dates, and cos they couldn't confirm, we took up the date. At that point, they started to draft the proposal. So I guess we didn't drag much with them on the dates. Well, the whole process with Conrad, from the first meeting to the time we sealed the agreement was about a month.

But with Hyatt, we had left a tentative booking, and they did tell us that it's valid for 2 weeks. And slightly past 2 weeks, they did check with us if we were stil interested. Basically, we couldn't confirm with them, and so they released our dates. I guess no harm for you to try making a tentative booking with them. Perhaps they might forget to check with you again after 2 weeks?? Then you booking would be left there... In any case, they would check with you before releasing your tentative booking. Pephaps you could ask them frankly what's the difference between the package now, and what's gonna be offered at the bridal. Explain to them your predicament - maybe they can help?

Good luck on your meeting with Debbie next week! Hope your hubby2B likes Conrad as much as you do!

ryn

Hi Snowie,

Sorry I haven't had the time to reply. To answer your question, I finally signed with them this week. Was suppose to last week, but my other half had to work. When did you sign yours? It wasn't stated in our contract that there was any additional charges for the white wedding theme, but will get FH to call and check on monday. When I asked Debby abt table settings, she said we can confirm that later, cos they might change themes from now till our wedding date, so it is better to wait till then. There is an earlier discussion thread that mention that there aren't additional charges for different themes, but then again it was last year. Do you suppose it is different cos you are having a sit down dinner and mine is a buffet? Did you get a waiver for the chair covers?

Debby says she'll contact us off and on from now till the wedding regarding bridal events they are having, and also for us to come down to check out the setup by the pool when there is a wedding there. I did pop by last night and there was a corporate function there with the white theme, and it looks really nice.

We got the whole pool area, both the Salon and the outside area. Another thing abt the pool area, Conrad won't stop their guests from using the pool if they want to. That's why no floating candles... Hey, did you get a special room rate for any of your guests wanting to stay over? I'm still thinking abt entertainment... can be rather expensive, but we are thinking of a saxophonist...

Hi Faith,

Great to know that Debby called you. Yes, the booking is for abt 2 weeks. Did Debby send you a draft of the contract? When I met with her today, I mentioned I have a friend who is interested in the Conrad. Can you e-mail me at [email protected] and hopefully we can work on you having a better time in your coming meeting with her. Be prepared that Conrad can be rather inflexible if you want a Sat.

Also, I checked the promo they have for the upgrade of the room, it's for weddings booked from Mar to end of Sept, min 240 pax. You will need to give her the page from the mag.
E-mail me and we'll see what we can do okay?
happy.gif

faith

Dear Snowie
I doubt Debbie will reveal the package that they're going to offer during the show now but no harm asking her....will let you know. I've gone down last Sat evening to view the ballroom again (sample of someone's wedding), with white theme set up (white table cloth). I've seen one couple there too, wonder if it's you...hee...met the sales manager, Judy there too, she's very friendly and nice. She tried to attend to us though she is held up with work and we didn't inform them, just pop by.

Hi Ryn
What's white wedding theme ? Is it just basically white table cloth ??? I doubt there will be any difference in price cos Judy says we can choose among white, silver, gold, green & orange colour theme. I'm not sure about buffet but for next yr's sit down dinners, white sit covers are included in the package price. Hee...i went to Conrad again too last evening....didn't see you. Ya, the white theme looks clean, pure and quite nice too but my MIL has bad comments on it. As you know lah, for her generation, she prefers coloured, pink/peach/gold etc.....actually, my hubby also thinks that white is too plain. BTW, when are you having yr wedding ? Which month ?

No, Debbie didn't send me the draft contract. I've only met her once alone (my hubby couldn't make it). So surprising, when i saw Judy last Sat when i pop by to view the wedding set up in the evening, she asks if i'm the one who actually requests to meet Debbie on Sat afternoon.....wonder how come she knows about it ???? She told me that she heard Debbie & the rest discussing about it.....Dun worry, my date is on Sunday. Oh really, you mentioned about me with Debbie ? Did you add in anything ?
happy.gif
I think i would have no problem with the 2 nites stay/1 nite presidential suite promo cos i've about 270 ~ 300 guests & i've the page fr the femalebrides mag. Now, i'm worried about the beer costs...they're rather steep about the beer price which may comes up to quite alot of money....got to discuss with her again on this matter. Wonder if she can throw in 1st 30 litre beer as complimentary ??? How much did they charge for the cockage charge for wine brought in from outside ? I think they charge about S$400 per barrel of beer that we bought fr outside which comes up to S$600+++, that's pointless cos it will be the same price as buying direct fr Conrad.

snowie

Hi Ryn,

Thanks for your reply. Besides the food and the setup, I wonder what's the difference between yours and mine?

I plan to go for the bridal show at Conrad in July, and I wonder what kind of deal they would be offering, and if they would be flexible enough if we want to change some parts of our signed package. Like Faith mentioned, they tend to give pretty good deals in during these promotion.

Yeah, I was also told that they won't stop guests from using the pool. So I too risk some kpo people peering into my solemnisation! ;p Well, so long as they don't make a scene of anything, that's fine..

Nope, I haven't asked about the room rates yet, or perhaps I have, but they weren't attractive enough for me to register the figure in my memory. I need about 4-6 rooms for 1-2 nites, and I don't think I can afford to put my guests up at Conrad itself though that's absolutely ideal!

snowie

Hi Faith,

Yeah, I was indeed at Conrad on Saturday. I was actually there for my parents' birthday dinner at Oscar's, and went up to check out the ballroom decor. I did see this couple standing near the stairway with this Conrad lady(with glasses?), about 6:30-6:45pm. My other half asked me "Could that be Faith?" and I laughed cos that would be such a coincidence! Well, now that you mentioned you were there - that could well be you eh?? Were you in all black/dark colours - top and skirt? Well, I was in all white.. If the other couple you saw were like 2 tekkos, that's probably us!
happy.gif

Anyway, did you ask Conrad what their packages are like? When's your big day? And what was the price they quoted you for weekends? I thought the minumim on weekends is 25 tables or 12 ie. 300 person right?

Beer price.. I had tried to ask for complimentary beer too - but I didn't succeed! Let me know if you do! Anyway, the beer price is quite the same in a few of the hotels I checked. Only Oriental, if I rem correctly, has an option of letting you choose a barrel of beer free, amongst other options..

If you need to know more about what's included in my package, let me know.

Hi Ryn,

Missed your question about waiver for seat covers. I've got that included in my dinner package. I've not signed with them on the poolside package. They're supposed to book it till someone asks for it, then we'll have to commit. Well, I'm trying to push for them to provide seat covers for poolside as well. So Ryn, you would have 200+ seat covers for poolside and another 200+ seat covers for the ballroom?

Ryn, Faith,

Do you find that the ballroom is too brightly lit? The candles have no effect at all! I'm wondering if I could add in more candles and have the room more dimly lit..

Anyway, Ryn, what kind of lights to they have at the poolside? Hope warm lights and not white lights?

BTW - have you shopped for your wedding gowns?? I went to Kai Couture just last Friday, and they have such beauuutiful gowns!!! Then again, it was my first visit to a bridal boutique - so reaction would have been more "violent! :p

faith

Dear Snowie
I think you may have spot the other couple, not me & my hubby. I've wore a kaki halter neck blouse with olive green skirt and my hubby is wearing a yellow T-shirt with kaki pants. I've seen the other couple too, i think the lady is wearing black top & skirt etc....forgot about the guy. When i walked into the ballroom, they were already inside and later walked out with Judy, perhaps they were discussing/talking outside and at that same time, you may have spotted them.....hee....very close ah, u nearly see me....i'm there too around 6.30pm. What were you wearing that nite ? My date is in Dec 2002, a Sunday, so no restriction of min. 25 tables but i may increase my no. to 25. Kai couture has very nice gowns but heard quite expensive, i didn't visit them. Ya, i agree the lights were abit bright, can always ask them to dim it down rite ?

ryn

Hi Faith and Snowie,

Faith, is Faith your real name? E-mail me so I can include your add in an e-mail to Debbie. I doubt there will be any difference in prices for the table settings too. The in-laws haven't said anything abt the white theme. But my FH gave me the go ahead to make the decision.
happy.gif
Perhaps the silver one will look nice too. I'm going for a simple elegant look. What abt you? As for the chair covers, Debby was nice enuff to waive it for me. I didn't see the orange place setting... how is it like?

Hey, if you like Judy, why don't you meet with her instead? Ask them to e-mail you a draft of the contact so you can discuss it with your hubby. It shld come with the menu too. And the tentative booking shld only start when you rec the draft. My wedding in end of Mar 2002. Which dates are you looking at?

Yes, the beer... we nearly didn't choose Conrad cos of that. FH and his father said it was waaay too expensive, espcially if Westin and Mandarin (I think) allows u to get yr own beer. It's my understanding that Conrad doesn't allow you to purchase beer from outside.

Snowie,
How's everything going on your end?

snowie

Hi Faith,

I was in all white(getting ready to be a bride!:p).. my S.O. was in navy blue and jeans.. Guess we spotted the same couple but not each other!

Anyway, what do they mean by orange, silver, gold etc? As in they provide silver table-cloths? Or just silver runners across the white table-cloths? I've never seen the orange either...

Yes, I wanna create more "ambience".. so I would want them to have more water in the glassbowls so that I can float more candles and dim more lights!

Hi Ryn,

Good to hear that you're getting 400+ seat covers all included! This gives me good grounds to "insist" on the waiver too! I hope they relent..

Nothing much happening at my end now.. wedding-dinner prep is taking a backseat for now.. beginning to focus on wedding-wear now.. Just gathering inputs to see what to look out for dinners.. Now, my worries are only on wine and beer - these seem potentially to be the items to jack up the cost!

But now that I've signed up with Conrad, I wonder if they will EVER budge should I request for waiver for more bottles of wine etc..

faith

Hi Ryn & Snowie
Dear Ryn, I can give you my email address later but not to fw my comments to Debbie cos hasn't gone into more detailed discussion with her yet, didn't want to spoil any relationship yet. As for the orange & green table cloth, i think u gals maybe able to see it in the picture of Conrad's catalogue, these two table cloth simply look the same (with foral prints on it) but just in different colour, i've seen the orange one in real when i pop by one of the Sunday (2 wks ago) to view the ballroom, very vibrant look, if you like it. As for the silver & gold, i dun know whether is a gold & silver table cloth or just a run through over white table cloth, have yet to see it. Since Debbie is the director of catering, i think she's the one who has the best authority in making decision and the best person to see in terms of negotiation. No, faith is my nick.

ryn

Hi Faith and Snowie,

Faith, no worries abt me tellin' Debby anything
happy.gif
Just wanna make sure you have a better time with Conrad. Maybe after your meeting, you can let us now what the package is. You are correct abt Debby making the decisions. Sure makes life a lot easier. When I was dealing with Catheryn, I felt like a ping pong ball, waiting for her to get back to me.

Snowie, the lights can definitely be dimmed. And I'm sure it will be wonderful with all the floating candles. The lighting by the pool is warm. I'll be attending a wedding at the Conrad Ballroom middle of this month, and will let you know how it went!!
happy.gif

I'm also looking for my gown too. I would like to be there for the show in July, but I am afriad that I won't be in Singapore for that weekend. However I did see the show in April, but the package from Emanuel B seems pretty good. And they are having a promo right now. However, I am going up to KL this weekend to see a friend of a friend's boutique... and shop for shoes of course!!!
happy.gif
In fact I already bought a pair of strappy heels!
happy.gif
I did see Kai... but I like Tan Yoong better... He is really creative, and the workmanship is superb!

If I get a call from Debby abt a function at the pool, I'll let you know ok? Good luck with all the negotiations!

ryn

Snowie,

I forgot... did you get the room rates for your guest at $188+++ with breakfast for your guests?

faith

Hi Ryn
So..you've been to Divine show in April this year ? I've signed up my bridal package during that show. Emanuel B.'s price is quite reasonable but personally i don't really like Elaine's design, abit too plain.

Have u gals gone to Charis Bridal ? I think their package is quite good, their package includes accessories, shoes, car etc....quite good deal. The designer, Dennis is very friendly and helpful too.

ryn

Hi Faith,

Yes, I went to the show... I really like the gowns, but I guess I will know after this weekend. I'm going up to KL to see a fren of a fren's bridal boutique, and to shop for shoes!! I kinda have an idea of what shoes I want, and I bought a pair of strappy ones last time I was there.

Seems like I'm doing things backwards... I found the shoes,the hotel, the photographer, but not the gown!!!
happy.gif

faith

Hi Ryn
For curiousity, which photographer are you using ? I used to drive up to KL with hubby too. Are there nicer bridal shoes in KL than in S'pore ? Which shopping malls of KL ? Cheaper ? Me too, like the shinning, shimmering, crystaline strappy heels, wanted the height like 4"...any suggestions ? From Leapin Lizard ?

ryn

Hi Faith,

I'm having a friend to do our photos. He has his own studio and dark room and does photography commercially. My wedding pics are not going to be an album, but like a lifestyle magazine! At first I was a little worried, but the more I thot abt it, the more I like the idea. What abt you? Which photographer are you using?

Shoes... definitly cheaper!! I got a pair of shoes like you described for SGD$30! If you are going to KL, go to KLCC. There is a shoe shop called Vincci at the basement. On the 3rd of 4th floor, there is a new shop called NOSE. That's where I got my shoes from the last time! Leapin Lizard can be a bit expensive, but definitely worth lookin into if you have a specific design and you can find it on the retail market. Hope this helps!!
happy.gif

faith

Hi Ryn
Ya, i know this shop, Vincci. Actually they've alot of outlets. If you dun wish to travel so far, there is one shop @ City Square JB. In KL, they've another shop @ Sungei Wang, yup agreed that their shoes were quite nice and cheap but the last time i didn't spot those shinning, glittering strappy heels...perhaps no intention of buying so never notice. I haven't decide on the photography yet though the package that i've signed up with Divine includes 4 photo studios (Robin, PictureBox, Ace Picture & Wizard of Lights)for us to select one. As my wedding is in Dec next yr, i thought there is still alot of time and may visit Robin & PictureBox beginning of next year.

Ryn, you're having buffet reception style dinner besides the pool rite ? What is the price that you're paying per pax ? Do you think it's possible for Conrad to throw in 1 complimentary 30L beer or give us a cheaper price for the beer ? Wonder how much she is charging for the corkage charge of Wine ? Is there a limit to the no. of bottles of wine ? Liquor is the most critical matter for Conrad cos very costly !!!! How much does one bottle of brandy (Martell) costs ? Can you suggest how many bottles of Martell, Wine & barrels of beer should i stand by ?

ryn

Hi Faith,

Thanks for the info. My apologies, I got my shoes from NOSE. I heard PicBox is not bad, but personally prefer Wizards. I like Benny Ang's work too, but he doesn't partner with Divine.

I'm paying abt $70 per pax, and mentioned earlier. I tried to get a discount for the beer, but not poss, and mine is a friday wedding. Can't even get it exchanged for a Heineken. As for corkage, she shld give u abt 1 bottle of wine per table free. If you have e.g. 25 tables, she will give u free corkage for 25 bottles, anything above that will be charged at $20+++. There is no corkage charge for hard liquior.

How much alcohol depends on your crowd. I have a lot of ppl who drink wine, and abt 20 Aussies and Kiwis who like beer. I suspect I will fully utilise the 50 bottles for wine and then some, and maybe 30 and 20 litres of beer. Perhaps 3 bottles of gin and vodka each, and 1 bottle of brandy. And that's being conservative. Perhaps you can ask Debbie to advise. You can get her to charge you $20 nett for corkage, but no promises. Hilton corkage is $12+++. Hopes this helps!

snowie

Hi Ryn,

Yes, $188+++ is the price that was quoted to me. Are you planning to put your guests up at Conrad?

I've been careless - I've only got 10bottles of wine waived, and subsequent bottles at $20nett! I was told not to worry about it, cos they would waive the rest if consumption is not that high that nite. Then again, I would feel safer if the numbers were down on the agreement. I wasn't aware that the "standard" was to have 1 bottle waived per table. And I should have at least 25 tables. Know of any way I can haggle for more??

Hi Faith,

I had tried asking for a barrel of complimentary beer - didn't succeed. I had tried asking for $638nett instead of $638+++ - didn't succeed either!

I was told they know of someone, who could standby any number of bottles of wine for you, and eventually you only pay what is consumed that nite. So you don't risk having too little or too much to drink.. I didn't ask for the contact though.. When are you meeting up with them?

ryn

Hi Snowie!

Yes, I believe that we will have some guests who will want to stay over.

I have a wine contact now, but will give you the rest in a bit.

Thomas Leroy
Sales Manager
Lynch Pte Ltd
Tel: 2354 800
E-mail: [email protected]

It's true that there are people who are willing to standby bottles of wine for you. We haven't talked to the wine merchants yet. Figured we still have time.

You can still press Catheryn to give you more bottles free... in light of goodwill. Tell her you already gave up the wedding cards, and ask het to do more. And also that you know of couples who have had their corkage waived. I know of 2 couples who did. I thot 1 bottle per table is "standard" cos that's what they told me. Good Luck!

M

minimalistic

hi girls
i need help! i keep hearing about a divine fashion show that's going to take place at conrad in july, and that details are available in june's herworld brides. but i can't find that magazine and i really want to attend this event. can someone be kind enough to let me have the details?
thk u sooooo much!

girl

Hi minimalistic, I too have been searching high and low at every news-stand I see for the HerWorld Brides June issue. It seems that it'll only be out next wk.
I'm also intending to attend the Divine wedding show. It's going to be on 22 Jul, and hear that packages go at special prices at their show, so will try to make it
happy.gif

faith

Dear minimalistic & Girl
Me too, has been waiting to buy the HerWorld Brides June issue but it's not out yet....be patient and wait for it. Dun worry, Conrad will definitely advertise wide, like in newspaper, a few bridal magazines, even in their next newsletter etc.....wait to see it.

faith

Thanks Ryn & Snowie
For your earlier comments & advices. I think more or less, i'll confirm with Conrad but now it's still in the negotiation stage which i think everybody has to go through before putting yr signature on the contract. Heard that good offers/freebies will only for forcus for weekday packages during the July show and not for weekend packages....not so sure yet.

snowie

Hi Faith,

Good to hear that you're getting closer to sealing the deal with Conrad! That's the place you like most right?

Thanks for the update.. and it's "comforting" to know that the freebies to be offered during the bridal show are only "applicable" to weekday packages - then I wouldn't feel that bad! Actually, it's kinda expected - weekends are so hot, they need not offer any form of enticement. The bridal show I attended for AWT/Ritz-Carlton, was also offering weekday perks.

You mentioned "Newsletter"? As in Conrad's? Gee.. I didn't know they had one...

Oh.. I also learnt about another bridal show on 5 Aug - Ted Wu @ Fullerton.. That should be kinda nice too..

ryn

Hi Faith!!

You are most welcome! I hope that Debby was nice, and negotiation shld be smooth. Good Luck!

faith

Dear Snowie
Those info about the perks offered during the July show maybe true or not....we won't know until the actual day. They maybe lying.

Yes, the newsletter is from Conrad. They always send to my company, not sure whether is a once a month kind of thing ???? You can take a copy of it at the conceige counter.

BTW everybody, The HerWorld Bride Magazine Jun~Aug issue is out, I've just got one copy from the petrol kiosk.

faith

Dear Ryn
I also hope that Debby is nice enough to agree with my requests but she seems too professional and stern to compromise.

ryn

Hi Faith,

What did you request for? Debby wasn't stern when we met. In fact she was very relaxed. Do you need me to put in a word for you? If so, just e-mail me okay?
happy.gif