Chijmes

swisschoc

hi chijmees,

thanx for the info...me n fh tinking of signing up the fullerton solemnization cum hi-tea package cos dun want too much hassle in coordination.

btw which bridal shop did u use? we tinking of doing our photoshoot after our solemnization cum wedding in feb next year? any advice?

C

chijmees

I used Emanuel B.

Advice on bridal shop? Hmm..quite difficult to..cos it can be very subjective. What i like, others may not. What makes me cringe delights others
wink.gif
hahaha..

All the best in your wedding prep!
bounce.gif

C

chijmees

That means no outdoor shoot before the wedding? And just take photos after your solemn. ends? If that's the case, i guess it's ok too. But would you have the enough time to take pictures after your solemnization? After your wedding ends, it will be half the day gone right?

aquaticbelle

Hi there...
I'm new to the thread here. I've confirmed with CHIJMES to hold my wedding banquet dinner. WD is early Jan 04. Plan to hold 30-32 tables. any adivce?

which caterer did you use? any advice? can I bargain on the price they quoted? some official caterer are really exp!

Chijmees,
care to share your pix and your expense list too? if so, you can email to [email protected] : )

swiss choco,
so u've booked chijmes? when is your WD?

lollipop

Hi Aquaticbelle,

I saw your post under GHA. I was a GHA Tampines bride and held my wedding in Chijmes as well.

We used Kriston. The food was very delicious, and the person we liased with was Anna. She's a nice lady, and very flexible. If you have a budget constraint, perhaps you could tell her how much per head you are looking at, and she would work out a menu for you.

Good luck!

S

sweetlilcheek

Hello all, I bumped into this thread and am also curious to know how much it costs to hold a simple wedding dinner in Chijmes?

Chijmees, could you also please share with me your expenses and pix? Please email it to me at [email protected]? Thanks so much!

swisschoc

hi aquaticbelle,

nope i did not sign up with chijmes...wanted to but find it too expensive. now contemplating a solemnization cum buffet dinner at beaufort or goodwood for 30 to 40 pax...just a simple one.

did u check out other hotels also? any special reason why it must be at chijmes?

aquaticbelle

hi lollipop!
Really? Have you had your wedding then? Was yours a dinner banquet or? Anna? We had a talk with Louis. Was thinking of bargaining or worked towards our budget actually. Can we do that?
btw, we're going to talk to kriston tonite and discuss further. let me know how you worked with them soon if possible!

Swisschoc,
I always liked chijmes. gives me a "fairy-tale" feeling. hope to have a real romantic wedding nite there. my fiance like there as well. we checked fullerton too. it's grand and nice but we still decided on chijmes.
u? decided on where? when's your WD?

aquaticbelle

hi chijmees!
really really thank u for sharing ur fotos! u look really "xin fu" and gorgeous!!!

the background was really nice too! people might have mistaken that you went europe for ur foto-taking.

anyway, my WD is on Jan 04 and we're thinkin of holding 30 tables. hope it's fine. now, i'm finalising some details with KRISTON & CHIJMES before making final decision. did u try to bargain for any perks with kriston? any general comments about them as well?

did u get a JP for your solemnisation? how's the punctuality? for those who's late while you're having the ceremony, how do you handle it?

C

chijmees

Hi aquaticbelle

Bargain? Wouldn't call it bargain lah... We did try to exchange things we did not need for something else. For example, the hotel stay at Carlton, we changed into....(urmm, i can't remember what..but something else). Coz, we already had the hotel stay at Swissotel from Chijmes and...I am not exactly very keen in Carlton. We also changed certain items from the menu too. Like I did not want the crispy chicken but prefer their herbal chicken. (i did not eat, but heard from guests that it was good)

Basically, it's like we looked thru the whole package and sussed out what we won't want and try to change it. Anna is pretty flexible and she does try to accomodate us if she can.

Actually i had already ROMed prior to the customary wedding. But on my customary wedding, i invited the pastor to bless our wedding. Wanted to go thru our wedding the christian way---a church wedding (only that it is not in a church)

I was very worried and am very particular that there will be latecomers during the church wedding. I think it is solemn and holy. But good thing, the Chijmes pp (mine was Asmawi) will "keep watch" at the door..so that during critical moments like that, guests will be requested to wait outside the glass door first. i also had some helpers stationed at the door to help.

You don't have to speculate. There will definitely be latecomers! One trick is to state the time in the invites much earlier than your intention to start. I started the service when attendence is abt 80%. Can't afford to wait till everyone is here. Your poor guests will be starving and bored..

L

lastminute

Hi Chijmees,

I'm so happy to have finally found someone who can help me!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
This forum is truly amazing and a real blessing for hopeless people like me :p

My fiance and I have been going round in circles trying to decide on a church ceremony + dinner venue (like yours, we're planning to do the church ceremony just before the dinner) and we're planning to have it in Oct-Nov...THIS YEAR! Yah, very last-minute right? That's me exactly!

Amazingly, we managed to find some good options and we've narrowed them down to 2 - Chijmes vs Grand Hyatt. My fiance is completely in love with Chijmes and is very keen to have it there. I really like Chijmes too but just have some concerns that I hope you can help enlighten me on. Your advice will be greatly appreciated!!

1. Car park at Chijmes - my parents have a very bad impression about the car park situation - they think it'll be a hassle (eg. with car park full) and very ex. Did you have any complaints, from guests or otherwise?

2. Noise level in the hall - heard feedback from a few people that the Chijmes hall is great for soft instrumentals and vocals but terrible for voice (i.e. speeches) and sounds get amplified in there. I would like to have speeches given during the dinner but wonder if it gets too noisy in the hall during a banquet with people chatting and eating (cutlery clanging etc.)?

3. Tables blocked by pillars - I'll be having 25-30 tables so about 7-12 tables at the sides will have blocked views of the stage. Did your guests seated at the side tables stand up to view the stage eg. during cake-cutting? Any complaints?

4. Public toilets - The toilets are a distance away from the hall and are shared with the public. Did you have any problems with that, especially with older, less mobile guests?

5. Timing - I understand the evening booking for Chijmes hall is only till 11pm. With the additional church ceremony, did you have problems with ending before 11pm? Also, does 11pm mean the caterers have to finish clearing up by then? Prob using Kriston for catering. How was their service? Did they try to rush the guests out to clear up in time? Planning a Sat dinner so guests tend to stay a little later. I definitely wanna avoid ending on a sour note!

Sorry for the many questions. These are just some of the key issues I hope to overcome (and I haven't even started worrying about the possibility of rain yet!) before I'll be more 'fang xin' with confirming with Chijmes.

(Of course, these issues don't come into consideration with Grand Hyatt though I agree with my fiance that Chijmes will def be more memorable...though I hope it'll be more positive memories than negative ones!)

Really hope to hear from you soon! Many thanks in advance for your help!

PS. It'll be great if you could also share your budget breakdown and pics with me too!
happy.gif

swisschoc

hi aquaticbelle,

mine will most probably be at fullerton, though not using the grand ballroom but a smaller room. it also has stairs coming down...should be quite grand too...now in the process of discussing details (bargaining)
biggrin.gif

yeah...chijmes is very fairy tale like...but as i do not have many guests, i decided against using chijmes...but might want to take my ps at chijmes....wonder if there are charges to use the compound...anyone knows?

mexx

Hi Swisschoc,

If u dun have your wedding function at chijmes, I think u gotta pay $200-300 just for the photoshoot. That's what I heard from Lilian.

C

chijmees

Hi lastminute..

Been busy for the past few days. I'll try to answer your questions say by fri?

C

chijmees

Hi lastminute

1)Carparks: Yes. Parking lots are limited. I think you will be given a few (can't remem, abt 4?) free parking coupon. So those will be for your immediate family members. The rest of your guests are advised to park at Carlton, Raffles City Shopping centre etc. You can state this down in the invites.

2)There will be some echos sounding in the hall, due largely to the high ceiling i think. But from what i understand, whatever speeches made during my dinner were still audible.

3) Urmm,,not sure if my guests had to stand up to take a good view..but really, this is something that's beyond our control. If you have more than like 18 tables, this situation is "bo Bian"

4)Only heard one complaint from a guest on that.She had a stomach upset (not due to the food served during my wedding though
wink.gif
) and had to wait for her turn in the toilet with only 2 cubicles. There are 2 toilets. One with more cubicles (the one near to Greenhouse Season). The toilet isn't that near but also not that far. Besides many toilets in the hotels are located a distance away fr the ballrooms too.

5)I started the ceremony at ard 8 i think. Mine was not the full length church wedding. I took into consideration that a lot of my guests are non-christians and i didn't want the wedding to be a drag. So it was a short one that lasted maxi abt half an hr? Everything ended well at abt maybe 1045? Mine was on eve of a PH. Ermm...i don't think there are any rushing from the caterers..everything flowed well.

I understand your concerns and these used to bother me too.. (esp the toilet and sound system). But sometimes one has to compromise on certain details..it's really difficult to have that perrr..fect venue. Plus, it is extremly stressful to ponder over the details..
bounce.gif

I've attended a wedding at Grand Hyatt too. Think it's pretty nice too. But i'd still give top marks to the romantic factor at Chijmes
kiss.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Chijmes, nor am I their official spokesman.

L

lastminute

Wow chijmees, you're incredibly, amazingly, wonderfully helpful and just plain fantastic!
kiss.gif

Thank you soooooo much for the detailed responses! Much appreciated. Makes me feel much better to know that it went well for you and it was a good, memorable event.

I'll be discussing this further with my fiance, and will probably be making a decision by this weekend (actually we keep saying that every weekend but still no decision...) Thanks again and I'll definitely keep you updated whatever the decision.

You know, I'm new to this forum and that was a really pleasant first experience! I think this is going to get addictive...
lame.gif

Erm, if I may, one more question please - has anyone ever encountered rain on a wedding in Chijmes? How was it?

aquaticbelle

Hi to all,
didn't visit the forum as i m busy for the past few days. gald that lastminute join in the thread and choose CHIJMES to be her ideal wedding venue too.

Swisschoco,
if i didn't remember wrongly, don't tink CHIJMES mgt allow couples who don't rent their premises to do that. if u really wish to have your outdoor shooting there, perhaps it outside the hall area then. you can call lilian to check that out.

chijmess,
u r really wonderful! gotten married but yet active on the forum advicing pple
smile.gif

i m set on having my wedding at CHIJMES. i know the pros but i really like the romantic atmosphere there... i wanted my gowns to be more elaborated too to match the theme there.

catch up again...

lei

Even though it's kind of late to be replying to last question.... ah well, just to add to general feedback anyway,
I've attended a Chinese sit down dinner at Chijmes, caterer Kriston. The food was divine!!! And the atmosphere most elegant and lovely. I don't think one can find a better interior than Chijmes. It was simply the most beautiful wedding dinner I've ever attended.
Unfortunately the toilets are not only far away, they are small and dirty. Depressing.

little_bride

Hi chijmees,

nice to know u here! oh, the last msg here is mar, i wonder if anyone will reply me....

i have been wanting to have a church wedding n my FH is a christian. But he nv goes to the church so he say we will not be able to do it the christian way. So we decided to have our banquet at chijmes instead.

tinking of getting kriston as the caterer, but stll waiting for their packages to be released next yr. wat abt ur sound system?? do u rent from chijmes? or any other cheaper alternative? for flowers, wat u have for $700? which florist u had? does kriston provide tt service?

i wanted to have my PS there 2. so tinking of doing it b4 my dinner, but then my album will not be ready for the dinner to be shown...
sad.gif
u say the PS will be free if i rent the place. must it be on the same day? can i do PS few mths b4 the dinner? heehee...

can i c ur fotos 2? my email is [email protected]. thanx...

my FH wans it to be on the early 2005 due to budget. but i wish to be on the dec 2004 for the xmas ambience...i tink it will be v nice w the xmas lighting....anyone had experience??

babymonster

Hi little_bride,

I will be having my wedding in chijmes, early 2005. booked liao.. ks one :p ..

most likely will be using kriston.

my FH also wants to have in dec 2004 for the christmas ambience but then my mother does not agree coz 2004 got number 4. so bo pian change to 2005 lor.

btw, chijmes provides the sound system .

viavia

Yes. You can have your PS months before your wedding. No worries on that. Mine was Sam from Greenhouse. I can't recall the details..but Sam is very approachable, you can consult him and tell him your budget.

babydoll

hi gals,
i just had my wedding at chijmes last month, and it was really beautiful. my florist is reasonably priced and generous with her flowers. she did my church deco, bridesmaids bouquets and parents bouquets. if anyone wants her details her name is eunice and her contact is 9692 1614.

i don't work for her, i am just a happy customer. have fun with the preps!

buttercookies

Hi Babydoll, I am interested to find a florist for my church decor. Is Eunice working free lance? Can I know how much did you have to pay for your church decor and what does it include?
Thx in advance!

little_bride

Haven pop in for sometime....

Thanks babymonster n viavia for ur replys. Read form other threads tt sam from greenhse is gd.

Hi babydoll,

Did you have your church wedding or dinner banquet there? I would like to hear more abt experiences of having banquet there.
Which florist is tt n how much u spent for wat amt of flowers?

Thanks.

relaxfun

hi people,

Can anyone advise me on average ang pao money for two persons attending chijmes wedding dinner??

Thanks
happy.gif
Me first timer attending wedding there :p

nanahammy

hi, although i hav yet to attend any wedding there.. but if it is gonna be a chinese sit down dinner, i suggust about 80 to 120. i am actually holding my dinner there next year and the minimum cost per table is about 700 to about 1200 (+-)

hope this is gonna help.

relaxfun

nana

so you are suggesting 80-120 for two person's ang pao??? like a bit too little leh :p

Oh the groom actually need us to confirm if we having lamb or fish... any idea which menu are they having??

Thanks
happy.gif

nanahammy

Hi mag, i mean 80 to 120 per person.. think ur friend is having a western dinner, that's why ask if u want lamb or fish..

gypsygal

hello...it's me again..!

how are ur gowns going on..?? kevin drew the design already..??

GHA just called me up last wk. supposed to go down on july to try on the gowns...and see what kind i like..
happy.gif

nanahammy

halo! u very funny. got phone dun call, like that more fun is it? hahaa

kevin draw liao lor.. the first time i went down he drew out on the spot.. but i told him might change.. so better do skeleton first.. :p u know gemini very fickle one.

u july can try gown oready... want us to go down?? exciting hor..

heard u look at some videographer folio liao.. why nv call me? i also wanna engage videographer leh.. so how? got shortlist bo?

steff

Hey,

Grand Hyatt food is great.

2 of my friends used them for their wedding. Good choice & lovely delicious food.

little_bride

Hi Steff,
Do you think they can share their experiences n fotos w me? ;)
But its much more ex than Kriston loh.
R u a Chijmes bride?

zany

Hi. Me also a Chijmes bride to be!

Booked the venue. On the lookout for any good caterer besides Kriston. Any one has any recommendations for Westerm caterer for Chijmes?

zany

Hi all,

Chijmes Chinese dinner ( kriston catering )may be more ex than the western dinner.

But i've seen the kriston western menus. There's this rather affordable menu that offers beef roll as main, cheese cake for dessert and oyster with salmon for starter. That;s the only menu i liked.

I would suggest a Western meal at Chijmes. That's what i intend to do for my wedding!

preci0usm0ments

Hi gers,
I'm not a Chijmes bride yet.. but can consider me a Chijmes bride wanna-be
wink.gif

I heard from a friend Chijmes only rent the venue, as for food wise, we have to source for our preferred caterer. Is that true?

If that's the case, how much is it to rent to venue?

nanahammy

wedding9999, actually u can try sourcing out the outside caterers other then kriston. i am a chijmes bride, wedding in may 2005. kriston is good in terms for their setup and professionalism. however the price can easily come up to abt 800+ per table. if u want something cheaper, u can try CDSC, select and rasel catering. They all do chinese sitdown, if that's what u r looking for

cheeri

Hi

would like to know for Kriston's catering service, how's the portion of their serving?
That is whether they provide more than what we cater for?

I'm having a church reception & took up Kriston.
My fren recently got a house warming & catered from Kriston for 45pax, but the guests are slightly less than the catered qty & each only had 1 round of serving before the food runs out.
There's still about half of the paper plates left unused. So I'm worried the catered food maybe insufficient for my church guests.
Has anyone tried Kriston's buffet or took their catering?

andrei_n_averyl

Hi, i've booked a date tentatively with chijmes for next year june. but still deciding. Now they don't allow external caterers to come in. Anyway, i was told that guests on the sides will not be able to see the stage. To retify this, have to put up screens and set up projectors with live-feed, and that would cost a thousand dollars plus plus more....Now still deciding...

andrei_n_averyl

hi all... pls give me advice.. i've booked a tentative date for chijmes already ..4th june 2005..but still thinking.. 2 choices... sheraton and chijmes...quite bothered by the pillars thingy too...below is a list of pros and cons for both places. really cannot decide....so help!!

advantages for chijmes:
-unique and romantic and beautiful
-nice long aisle
-can have fairytale wedding

disadvantages:
-pillars
-toilets
-parking lots
-menu too normal(provided by CHIJMES)

Sheraton(advantages)
-nice bridal suite
-nice place for cocktail
-menu almost excellent

Sheraton(disadvantages)
-exterior of building not v nice
-not many pp know abt sheraton(at least applicable to us)
-short march in

really hope you guys can give some opinion!!thanks a million!!

princessweds13

hi

i'm thinking of holding my wedding solemnization in chijmes.

BUT there are so many problems with the caterers now that kriston is out of the list! hyatt and raffles are the official caterers and they charge S$60 for a lunch reception? is that ex?

any one has used an external caterer and managed to get the surcharge waived for chijmes?

andrei_n_averyl

hi princessweds13, i WAS thinking of holding my dinner banquet at Chijmes..anyway... now they don't allow any external caterers to come in anymore... you better check again... my infor is quite update..yup...
i agree with you.. lotsa problems... that's why i chose a hotel ballroom instead... good luck!!