Catholic Brides

chinzilla

Oops I meant 800 for venue n flowers hee coz I'm only having abt 50 pax. Lol . Heh going to trybfor sth really simple. Think aft accounting for the rest of the cost tis also abt 2-3k

Haha darn really so tight for timing. Sigh need a morning slot for the church

Thanks Von n Shan for the tips h

chinzilla

Another thing is I'm a new catholic so in terms of friends in the faith, there isn't much. Haha sometimes feel I'm floundering in the church arrangements

jetaime24

Hi,

I'm also having my wedding mass at St Teresa in June 2012 and I'm from Holy Spirit (Upper Thomson) but moved recently and is attending services at Blessed Sacarments. I agreed tat Fr Arro is rather flexi.

Has anyone hold their wedding at St Teresa? Can advise on costs/logistics?

The coordinators mentioned that its too early for me to plan the logistics, lol...

ngmelissa

Hi jetaime24 - Congrats! I'm a St Teresa June 2012 bride too! Well at least I hope to be- still confirming date with Fr Arro. When's your big day?

Hi von - omg! Fancy "meeting" u here!
happy.gif
How are your wedding prep and when's your big day too? I've spoken to Clair and she said Fr Arro is v nice so I've called to check on availability and he said he'll get back to me. Another question though is where to host the reception (besides the canteen). But guess I have to check with the parish secretary for logistics.

chinzilla

thx shan!

HTB dragging his feet on this. hiaz .. im getting worried the churches will be booked up. but he say i stress him =(

hw hw hw!

lovelydove

Chinzilla, I understand. My HTB also bad at organizing and say still early why I so Kan Cheong. But the fact is venues are limited. In the end I'm the one doing most of the coordinating. I just tell him when to show up!

chinzilla

heh same!! .. haha i just say im meeting the vendor on X day and X time.. rem to come ah.. lol

He doesnt really think venues will be limited coz we are inviting abt 50 ple .. hrmmm

are all guys like that? Shan you dont get fed up?

lovelydove

I tink most guys are like that... what to do. At least my HTB is interested in the house. He feels that house is a investment so he will spend time researching and viewing. He will champion the housing and I will champion the wedding. Haha.

He always ask why i bother about the gowns, must go so many BS to see, all are the same blah blah blah.. i tink they just dun get it.

Ya, 50 pax is easy to find a venue but if you want a church wedding, churches are limited, be it 50 or 200 guest. So I tink they number of guest does not matter... Definitely you want your parish church or somewhere near your place right. Unless your wedding is on a weekday like fri, den shld be quite easy.. hehe

darguel

Maybe we could look at it as he's really invested in a future with you? Hence the interest in the house which is more long term?
happy.gif

We'll never be able to figure them out la. He gives me that look when I very excitedly email him a potential colour scheme for the wedding. Then says he can't visualise something so far away. Wanna just throttle him sometimes!

I heard that it's ok to book churches from a year to 6 months before but if you have a specific one in mind might be good to soft book the church and celebrant first? I'm getting married in Oct 2012 which is still a long way but mulling over which celebrant to ask as we are more comfortable with some over others.

I'm looking at north/serangoon district churches, really wonder if Nativity will be that warm.

chinzilla

von thatas a v nice angle. lol von / shan ...seems like its vvv common. shall give up understanding le. Actually nothing in mind yet for the venue. Just hoping its nearer either tpy or the tanah merah . coz the schedule with tea ceremony is a huge rush.

shld be alright bah? not the warmest.

lovelydove

Von, can soft book? Most churches need us to speak to Fr first den can book the date right? Isit very bad to cancel with Fr after that? Aiyo, all the logistics is very very complicated so I cannot be bothered to ask many church so only go back to my parish. So far my parish allow ppl to book up to dec 2012 only.... So for you oct 2012 can start booking already la!

I guess men r more pratical! While most girls want a memorable wedding...

ngmelissa

Von, didn't realise u were planning an October wedding!
happy.gif

I seriously considered Nativity and visited a few times for mass. Some days when it's breezy or light rain outside, the air is cool inside and quite comfortable. But I've also had visits where it was blazing - outside and inside.

I guess it's abit of luck? And perhaps have fans on hand? I really wanted Nativity but many ppl have vetoed the idea so I think for comfort of guests, I'm looking to book St Teresa instead.

Chinzilla & Shan - I agree! My fiancé is very easy going and hence doesn't have much opinions on our choices. It's both a good and bad thing I guess because I do want some comments to affirm my choices!
happy.gif
And I think boys sort of naturally think wedding planning should be left to the brides so they tend to be more aloof about it.

To all - just wondering if there's an estimated budget for church weddings (not inclusive of reception)? I know we have to pay a deposit, hall rental, donation to church, flowers, choir, gifts for Father, altar boys and sacristan... So many things to think of!

lovelydove

Mellie, Nativity no aircon? I guess most singaporean cannot survived without aircon! Haha.. I can understand your family would want your guest to be comfortable attending the ceremony... So have you decided on a date or pending St Teresa to tell u the available dates in the month?

I tink booking of the main hall usually about $200... the rest i'm not sure also. Lotsssss of planning ahead of us!

chinzilla

heh i budgeted

800 for the usuage of the church, reception hall and decor
100 for AP for priest
200 for AP for Choir / Altar boys
50 for service booklet printing

800 for reception

can any one advise it this is reasonable ?

shanawawa

Hi Shan & Chinzilla and all brides reading this thread!

@Chin: I'm also a new Catholic. Just 3 years old and I'm still very unsure about alot of things. But luckily the people at SFX and my celebrant priest are very helpful
happy.gif

My HTB (not a Catholic) and being a guy, is also very laid back!!! Everything he says I can call the shots.. haiz! but sometimes we just need some reaffirmation on details rite?

@Shan: I also take the approach where he will champion the housing (coz he's really more interested in it.. like buying furniture and finding ID for reno). So i'm fine with championing the wedding although really alot of small details to look into and he is taking it easy. He says I'm losing sight on what is important and what is important is our love and celebrating it. Even cock ups is also okay. He's right I know but I'm just a perfectionist type and also a worrywart. Now, I just tell him what I'm doing and he just pay. haha!since that's the way he prefers. Initially we have tons of disagreements and quarrels, but as the day approaches, he's more kan cheong too so it's all good now. haha!

@Chin:
Usage of church: $200. (love offering. any amt)
Church canteen for reception: $200
Service booklets: $60
Reception: $4500

wheelie

Hi,
same here. My HTB is also not the enthusiastic type on wedding stuff. He can't rem which day to meet which hotels, names of BS I mentioned, taking his own sweet time to email the hotels, etc. I did almost all the researching and he does almost all the talking when we reach the hotels or BS, haha. We had lots of quarrels too. And I am very glad that the main work on confirming the BS and banquet is done!

darguel

Shan - Yup, I heard that we have to confirm with the Fr first but I have also heard from friends abt others who have tentatively 'chope' the venue before talking to the priest (maybe because he's not free, haven't gone for EE, etc). Ya la, go back to parish is the easiest I guess. Especially if you grew up there, more pull :p

Mellie - Yup, Oct 2012. It's ages more but I can't help but get antsy. It's mainly because of the flat that's why we're pushing it back. It's like I've already waited for forever, what's another year or so
happy.gif
Oct might be cool but I think your family/friends probably vetoed the venue because it would be hot for you in your wedding gown. Those things are heavy and warm!

Chin - How many people are you inviting? Reception would depend on that I guess. From my friends, they spent from $8 - $15 per head. I think you don't need $800 for the venue. Church hall and canteen/reception venue probably about $400-500? Though you have to factor in flowers/decor for the church which can be about $150 - $250. Might help to check with the church you have in mind? Risen Christ in TP is quite nice though the canteen is a bit 'canteen-looking'. They also allow you to use powerpoint so no need for booklets.

Having tiffs here and there too about the wedding but I have to tell myself to chill. Gotta pick your battles though it's not that easy when he's being totally indecisive or disinterested.

chinzilla

heya von: probably inviting abt 50 -60 ple haha thats why the HTB say dun want Risen Christ..coz he says it will look empty. =(

Hows the house coming along?

hiaz as of last night he was still in the research phase.. haha crappy. He is more excited abt the possible 3 weeks marriage leave he is going to get. Guys are damn cute.. =D

Shanawawa *high five* I've oso been baptised abt 3 years. Where did you go for RCIA? =D

shanawawa

@Chin: I went RCIA @ Immaculate Heart of Mary
happy.gif

Agree with von that you don't need 800 for the venue. However, the church florist is charging me 800 for the flowers coz they will be covering quite abit of deco for me.

lovelydove

Chinzilla, your HTB have 3 weeks of marriage leave?? That's damn good! Haha.. I thought most companies are 2 days.

Shanawawa, you budgeted 4500 for reception seems like quite a lot. You are going for a better caterer?

shanawawa

Shan: hmm it's not say really a better caterer.. We looking at the $22/pax lunch. And we are inviting about 200-250 guests. So it'll be ard that price. Today juz got our quote. Plus GST $380, so total of $4700+.

bigrockshow

Hi all,

I'll be holding mine in Dec at Church of Risen Christ.

As there is a constraint on the hall, we may consider holding a simple lunch around the area.

There will also be a wedding dinner that day so i'm at a dilemma to provide catering or sit down lunch.

Please help!!

lovelydove

Ohh Shanawawa, I guess it's because you have a big guest list..

Bigrockshow, since you have a dinner banquet already (assuming sit down dinner), maybe it's better to have a buffet lunch? If not it will be a big strain on your budget?

chinzilla

hee has anyone been to OLPS? Im thinking of holding it there. Other choices for now are
St Peter and Paul or Risen Christ.

I think catering is sufficient.. will help to facilitate movement oso

lovelydove

Chinzilla, St Peter and Paul location is centralize so shld be easy for guests. I have been there once but not for wedding. Feeling is quite a cosy church.... And if your reception is nearby also easy for them?

Btw ppl, can check with you gals. If I have a afternoon mass at around 3pm. It should end by 4pm right? Shld I still prepare refreshment for my guests at church if I have dinner banquet at hotel? Isit too long a wait for my guest since dinner can only start earliest 730pm right?

chinzilla

heya shan thx! heh its going to be a real small party. More concern how to fit the PG and VG's hours.

maybe its better to budgeting 1.30hrs... depending on the process, it might drag out abit .

ngmelissa

Hi ladies! I'm happy to share I manage to book St Teresa's! -grin-

Shan - I booked the morning mass on 9 June.
happy.gif
when's your big day btw? We can plan logistics together! And with jetaime24 too if she's keen?
happy.gif

I also booked the canteen for the reception. A tiny gripe- the parish secretary mentioned I could opt for the foyer in the parish house (level 3) but after I went to take a look and said I was keen, she said she has to reserve it for the June retreats and hence I must take the canteen instead. I was alil disappointed but I guess the canteen is also more accessible so perhaps it's not so bad afterall.

With regards to mass, if it's a service I think should end in 45mins (depends on length of homily/ sermon). But a full mass (with communion) will likely take u up to 4-4.15pm. I think refreshment is good if not all church guests are going for dinner. But if everyone if adjourning to your dinner venue, probably not necessary? It will give ppl time to go home and change.
happy.gif

Shanawawa - if u dont mind sharing, could u let us know who your caterer is? I'm also on the lookout now for a church reception caterer and there's just so many to choose from and I don't know how to budget for it. Seems the norm is around $15-18/pax? But if we have a large guestlist for church (400+), it's quite a chunk of our budget.

Chinzilla - St Peter & Paul is a lovely old church! And the central location is definitely a plus point. Would u need to check whether they host weddings? I was always under the impression the city hall churches don't host weddings. Or maybe that only applies to cathedral... Another point to note: there is no aircon! I've learnt (the hard way) that we must check such things with the parents. Hehe.

Btw ladies- have u all picked your dinner venue yet? I'm so surprised that so many places are already booked for next June! If u haven't started, I suggest u quickly go take a look at the places u like. My fiancé and I quite like the Hyatt so we may be going for that.
happy.gif

shanawawa

@Mellie: So happy for u!! St Teresa's so beautiful
happy.gif
)I don't mind sharing at all! My caterer is Smiling Orchid. I like their lunch reception because they have sushi and I also chose the set with chocolate fondue ;) (Although I don't think I have any chance to eat at all lor! U know what I mean?)

Ya venues are being reserved like hot cakes! Must quickly reserve ya?

darguel

Chinz - I just saw some photos on a photog's site which featured a wedding at St Peter & Paul so I know they do allow it. It's really pretty!! But ya like mellie said, quite warm.

Mellie - Congrats for getting St Teresa's! So pretty! We checked out Hyatt too but in the end didn't get good vibes from the coordinator. They are having a fair soon to promote their new venue, the Gallery. Went to have a look and it's quite nice, more of an open concept but can't really fit our planned 35 tables. Gd luck w your search!!
happy.gif
We haven't nailed down a dinner venue either, getting antsy! :p

Re caterers, I just went for a wedding catered by Krist0n, was not too bad. The bf also just went to one catered by CJS, he said it was pretty good too. I've also been for weddings done by Lavish Dine. Great setup and yummy food! Abt $13 - 20/pax

chinzilla

thx von! i heard they are closed for reno. Actually its more central, but my mum insists on coming back to my house for tea. & tats at Tanah Merah. So OLPS is nearer. Coz my HTB side the tea ceremony is at the church.

Haha anyone stressed abt not enuf AD PG hours?

ngmelissa

Shanawawa - Thanks!! I'm glad we managed to book the church! Was alil worried at first that they may be fully booked.

My friend used Smiling Orchid too and she was quite happy with what they offered. They seem to also throw in quite a few complimentary items like cupcakes and chocolate favours if u book over 200 pax. I think the more common caterers are Rasel, Smiling Orchid, Kristin & Four Seasons?

Von - I've attended an event catered by Lavish Dine! The food was very yummy but I hear they are more expensive than other Caterers. They mostly focus on corporate events I think so not much perks for weddings compared to others? But definitely quality...

Chinzilla - I think most AD PG gives 10 hours? So u could split the time for church and for dinner. Eg 5-6h for morning "getting ready" and mass & reception, then the remainder for evening?

I'm likely to do lunch next day... so I heard I will have to pay extra for 2nd day. :S

Any AD PG and VG to recommend btw? I really like tinydotphotography but they are quite pricey and I'm not sure if I should be spending so much on PG. And also torn abiut whether a VG is necessary. Seems nice to have smth to watch again- esp the part when we say our vows right?
happy.gif

lovelydove

Hey gals, ya I was also tinking of letting the guest have some time to go back and change, so initally did not book canteen for reception. Just worried that ppl might be hungry if they are not planning to go home.

Congrats mellie.. we can all do the planning together... one more year! So you having a lunch banquet on the next day? I believe lunches are easier to get compare to dinner and also if looking at ballroom have to start early!

Chinzilla, usually if you really need to exceed the VG and PG hours they will just charge for the extra hours done. If really cannot squeeze into the 10 hrs just try to budget for 12 hrs? At least dun stress yourself out!!

chinzilla

haha my HTB aka the boss has tasked me not to exceed the budget. so im trying not to stretch the hrs . intending to hold it in the morning so if its too late, they may not be able to do the express highlights for dinner =(

Went to OLPS .. its super NICE ,, cept the reception hall is next to the columbarium. haha really dunno if ple will mind.

Parish secretaries are intimidating!! i got a lecture from alot of them on holding wedding ceremonies outside of the parish.. sigh
thing is i dun go specifically to one church..

lovelydove

Chinzilla, tink most ppl wont mind the columbarium. Cos in a lot of churches it's pretty visible....

No choice la, we definitely need help from the secretaries so have to let them lecture lor....haha. So OLPS still have the date you wanted?

lovelydove

Chinzilla,

Just to share my experience, the first time I approach the sec of the church, she told me my date is avail too, ask me to try speaking to Fr before can make any bookings. One week later my date is taken! Some venues and dates are very popular! So if you have decided better be fast!

jetaime24

@mellie,just back in SG.

Btw congrats! Yup, i wun mind doing the logistics together. Can share more details also. So we can only start planning in Dec/Jan?

lovelydove

Chinzilla, I have confirmed my BS, banquet and AD PG so the rest of the things for church will start preparing nearer to the date.. I heard 3 months is enough?

Jetaime24, hehe.. I sent you a PM previously regarding the church wedding but I tink you were away and might not have seen it... I tink starting to plan in Dec/Jan is just enough time..

chinzilla

cool! going for ur PS soon?
I guess 3 mths shld be enuf ba. I'll get my caterer florist etc ard that time with the hotel stuff.

I just need to chose the church. Hopefully by this weekend.

anyone going for MPC in 4Q?

dncl

Hi all, i'm quite new to this forum.
anyone doing the chinese custom (groom fetch the bride, gate crashing, etc) + church wedding on the same day?

@shan: have you found the VG for your wedding?
i have PG from the Bridal, not sure whether wanna engage their VG as well.

chinzilla

DNCL: im doing the chinese customary + church as well. =)

Jessie: Risen christ has samples of the booklet on their webbie. u might wanna take a lookg there

chinzilla

confirmed at risen christ! haha Shan in the end like u still went back to the parish. =p

but my schedule looks abit weird now. Tea ceremony just before the dinner.