Argh!! Lizards!

littleflower09

hi to all my lizard kakis (^_^)

i think a jack russell can catch pest rather well. watched my fren's JRT jump and run arnd. endless energy and super fast reflexes. can consider huh? read tt JRTS used to be bred to catch RATS. if they can catch rats, i think they can catch lizards. hehe.

excalibur

Not that I have anything against dogs...
I like some dogs... (Sorry, JRTs not included :p)
But like most small dogs, JRT is high maintainance in the sense that with it's endless energy, you will also need endless energy to play with it which unfortunately I'm lack of.
Not ready to take up a responsibility I'm not able to carry...

babu

sorry guys and gals, do you all mind if i correct something over here?? err... pest in our house is not called 'Lizard', it call 'Gecko'... Lizard is meant for bigger size, example: monitor lizard.. house pest are call gecko (small size).
hehehe.. don drop stink eggs on me okie.. sorry huh.. shan't not disturb u all.. hehehe..

excalibur

BTW, any idea where these geckos tend to hide in an empty house?
When I went to check my house for defects, I found some of their eggs on the window sill, but don't see any of them around.
Was thinking of getting rid of them before the carpentry and furnitures to go in.
My W2B is afraid of them... :|

afcai

Hi Alan Swan,
mos tof the lizards in my house are hidden behind the toilet bowl tank(old type of system -squatting type).

are you sure those eggs belong to lizards? luckily, only 1 baby lizard appear inside my toilet at my new house(since june till now after reno). so hubby use toilet paper and catch it and throw it inside toilet bowl.

excalibur

Hi afcai,
I'm pretty sure those were lizard eggs.
And they were all hatched.
Saw enough shells for about 7-8 eggs I think.
But didn't see any when I was checking for defects.
Hopefully, they left after finding no food in the area.

afcai

Hi Alan Swan,
oic, I did not see Lizard 's eggs before but only seen Lizard's dropping only. maybe cleaning the whole areas with those anti-baterica or use cleaning solution like dettol kind of thing(bought at 1 from NTUC for $5 similar to that of Dettol- kiwi brand) so that it will leave a strong smell there and the lizard won't dare to come back loh.

stylobb

hey gecko pals!
I thot this thread 'died'...hehe..
Aiyah, I spotted one fat one but it escaped before I could do anything..I keep thinking maybe it was preggie cos a few days later, hb/I killed two small ones...as usual, very traumatic for us cos they were small and so swift.. but died a swift death...
Nowadays I'm always on the lookout esp in the kitchen and toilet...can't feel at ease...

Afcai
Good idea,think I'll use the dettol wipes too. I used to spray Shelltox around the windows area.

excalibur

Wow.... Isn't it a bit siong to wipe the whole house with wipes?
Guess I have to do for my W2B's sake...
(Hope she reads this... :p)

pink_tulip

Hi all!

I saw a lizard in my bedroom just now. I tried using a broom to sweep it down so that I could catch it and threw it away (my two kids were sleeping and I had to stifle my horror and screams and muster my courage to do something about IT). But it managed to escape! That's WORSE right? I normally scream and flee when I see one and hubby will kill it. But tonight hubby not in and I was alone to fend for myself and kids. I used a tek koh stick and extended it with newspapers (it was not my only weapon, I also had the dustpan, broom and cane with me). I stood on my bed and swept/brushed all possible hideouts (curtain, air con trunking, window grilles, wedding portrait...) but no sign of that irritating lizard! I went to the toilet (in the same room), stood on a stool and did the same (shook the pails with my stick, hit the shampoo rack etc) but did not see it. I dunno if it has escaped (which I very much hope so but chances are so slim since my windows are closed and it could not have known where it came from) or just hiding somewhere to spring on me at a later time!!!!!!! I have had it sprang on me a few times before (from under the rice cooker, in the pail, from the ceiling...) and I am terrified of it.

I have shifted my bed and my baby's cot away from the wall. Hope i can sleep tonight. I am going to SPRING CLEAN my room tomorrow morning!

Do you think it can hide and stay in the air con trunking??? If so, then it is going to be a tough job to rid it...

As much as I dread dread dread to see it and have to kill it, I would rather kill it and sleep in peace than have to worry about it now. I was not fast enough...

sugarbabe

wow, pink_tulips, u very daring leh.... dare to catch the lizards.... if me, i run to the other rm n slp liao..haha the other day, i oso spotted 1 big fat lizard at my ceiling, scream for hubby to catch it, hubby tried to hit it with newspaper but cant work.. so in the end, we spotted it lying on the floor quickly getting those air fresher to kill it (I haven't buy Baygon yet!!) haha... heng ah, tat day hubby is there or nt I dun dare to step into the kitchen liao...haha
The Dettol wipes really wrks?? Muz go buy n try...

bit_bit

Hi all!!

Just last nite had an encounter with this big fat brown lizard... it was hiding among the pipes above our bomb shelter... dunno why i just suddenly got this hunch to look in tat direction... i froze on the spot
225016.gif
... managed to call out to Hubby in a weak voice.. Hubby tried to smack it, but it escape into the bomb shelter cum store room!!!!! then poor Hubby got to clear out some of the stuff in the bomb shelter in order to terminate it... luckily he managed to catch it, otherwise wun be able to sleep....

afcai

haaa maybe can use vaccum cleaner to vaccum it(of coz, I have not tried it, only vaccum soft-legged live spider, flies, bug,bees), faster way to make the lizard disappear, then later use masking tape to tape it so that lizard will be traped and dead inside.

excalibur

Wah! How long do you have to wait for them to die?
Actually, shouldn't the impact of being sucked in be able to kill them?

stylobb

afcai
I ever thot of the vacuum method but then, who is going to clear that thing for me??

PT
So poor thing! The other worse thing of not being able to kill it is that it escaped! Me also feel scared and furious at the same time. I am always on the lookout esp when I go to the toilet, cos the other time I had a scare.

bitbit
The other time, the small one crawled into the bamboo basket where we kept onions...we were figuring what to do with it since it refused to come out. So I told hb, use a plastic bag to cover the basket and throw away, scully it wriggled it way out, I was so shocked, thankfully hb sprang into action and killed it with the hot water.

Reading all this just reminded I gotta spray Shelltox again tonite.

pink_tulip

sugarbabe

i am not daring and i dun dare to catch/kill lizard, but the thought of having it in the room is horrible, so no choice lor... the reason why i extended the tek ko stick was so that in case it darted when hit, i wouldn't be too near and it would not jump on me!!

bit bit

wa, you hubby bothered to take out the things in the storeroom to look for it! He is very patient!
My storeroom has tons of stuff. If a lizard went in, we prob would not be able to take out the things in order to kill the lizard. and the storeroom is so small, I will become a lunatic if it jump on me and I had no way of escape!

StyloBB

i have read your posts on using HOT water. How do you splash hot water? Once you go near, won't the lizard flee? But your method is better than killing it with newspaper cos with the latter, the tail will break and yuks.....and one has to hit a few times to kill it...

I cleaned my room yesterday morning. I did a thorough one - thanks to the lizard, cos I have been procrastinating. Cleaned the window grilles, the bedside table, bedframe, vacuum and mop the whole room. No sign of the lizard. I console myself by thinking it has slipped out of my house.

stylobb

PT
My hb also ever cleared the entire bookshelf just to track the thing down and kill it. Can you imagine, I was pregnant then, can still be so agile!
You know my goosepimples auto stand up when I see one??? So scaring...
How ah, funny, hb and I go slow motion, our eyes on it, one will spray Shelltox, the other will pour the hot water.. we just pour the water towards it. Dare not pour from the top in case it leaps or jumps (FYI one ever 'jumped' onto my t-shirt before years ago!). The worse are the big fat ones cos they dun die immediately... they will struggle and sometimes still not dead... shucks!!
I also failed to find that fat one, we just hope it had crawled out thru the kitchen windows.
Good that you managed to clean you room,hehe..

bit_bit

Hi StyloBB,
gosh! lucky ur Hubby is fast enough!
if i were u, i will definitely throw the basket away without second thot!!!! *shudders*

Hi Pink_Tulip,
hee, more like he 'bey-gam-wan' tat the lizard escaped... hence he die die must catch it!
lol.gif

as for me, i only can gave him my mental support, i was hiding in the room when he was trying to aim & smack the lizard w newspapers
lame.gif

and yah, the lizard's tail did come off during the fight, & hubby got to wipe the wall after the 'battle'....
crazy.gif

magix

the lizard fell off my head the other day. i was so shocked tt i forgot to scream.
lame.gif

and the stupid lizard had the cheek to lie lazily on the floor after falling off my head! *shrudders*
crazy.gif

afcai

Hi Alan Swan,
I ever tried on live bees(2 of them) with my water based vacumm. it killed them after I cleared the vaccum cleaner the next day. maybe put those dettol or detergent and mixed them into the water so that they will die more faster.(refer to lizard).

I dun think by sucking the lizard with the vaccum cleaner will kill them instantly but maybe they will die due to lack of oxygen then. better tape it at the opening to prevent them from crawling out.

Hi sUgArBaBe (sugarbabe,
haaa they will rot and dry inside till disgusting.

Hi styloBB,
maybe one has to "xi sheng' the expensive vaccum bag and then dumped it away quickly once taken out(lizard should be dead after a few days).

bit_bit

Hi Folks,
i suspect year-end is lizard festival in my house cos last nite Hubby caught another lizard again!!!! this time round it's a baby lizard which was hiding in the toilet....
sad.gif

excalibur

Could be year-end = monsoon...
With the constant raining, their hiding place could be flooded, forcing them out into the open...
Then again, I tot lizards are partially amphibious...

stylobb

bit bit
I wanted to hold the basket but I dared not pick it up cos it was underneath it. THen before I could cover it with the plastic bag, it wriggled out..I got a shock, my goosepimples immediately stood up! Then hb quickly poured hot water. After we killed it, we hugged each other in fright!

afcai
But neither my hb nor I will dare to open the vacuum cleaner leh, much less try to dispose of the bag...eeeek! At least when we kill it in the open, we are sure we disposed of the whole body.

alan/bit bit
O dear, wet season means more of them ah... nowadays I'm always on my toes when I go kitchen or bathroom...so xian...

sugarbabe

hi pink tulips, if me even with tek ko i oso scared ah..tat time my cousin come my house then went to open my warrobe, a lizard ran out frm there, after searching high n low for it, juz cldn't find it... I oso hoping that it ran out of my rm liao but then when we shifted in after a few days, i saw their poo-poo!! even though my hubby already caught 1 liao.. haiz... wonder wat is the most effective way to get rid of them!!??

yloc

Hi All,

I'm even worse. I'm scared of both cockroaches and lizards n its always my dad n mum tat come to my resuce. I think i will have to prepare more bygone or hot water in future after i move to my new house coz there will be no dad n mum to come to my resuce n i tink my bf also dare not touch these pests.

sugarbabe

hi yloc, be careful when u handle them with hot water ah, u may accidently scald urself when u r so scared of them.. mayb u can standby those air freshner oso, nt so smelly as baygon mah.. they will 'faint' oso then can get ur bf to pick up then throw away!!

afcai

Hi yloc,
then yr wall or furniture will have the smell of bygone and will be oily oily.

luckily, after reno of my new flat since jun 04 till now, I only saw 1 baby lizard(hubby catch it and flush it down the toilet).

did anyone find a lot of 'mao mao chong' crawling around the mailbox or corridor(where lift landing) area of yr areas? it's so disgusting to see black mao mao chong and also some are big and their body come with a mixture of yellow and black color.
there are a lot esp in the morning and noon.

blessing

Hi All, I put a cockroach poison trap in the kitchen and my FH aw a lizard go into it one day. ever since that day, we have not seen any lizards lurking in the kitchen. The lizard must have been poisoned by the trap and have spread it to its friends.

sdblues

Wah lao ey!! Yall very the farny u know! so many ways to kill,chase,drown.. etc etc a lizard! I just hate Cockroaches.. thats it.. :S I hope my new flat doesn't swarm of them!

dabee

hi gals:
my MIL said used egg shells will shoo away lizards. but i duno how effective, maybe can try. pls do not wash them after u break an egg.

kitkai

Place dried chilli will also get rid of lizard... My mom did that, and my house is free of lizard, except for toilet area, where the chilli can't stay dried... ;p

springchew

huby trained son how to catch lizard so at least i got 2 experts helping me. everytime they catch it, they will throw it out from our 9th floor balcony, there's a grass patch below us so i guess it wun died... another method is tat they keep in those disposable food container and then bring it downstairs n set it free.... i also realised that when lizard are scare and want to run away, they leapt to escape, so scary....

nelle

I miss the little lizard family at my old place! Now that I shifted to a place, the house has got small flying insects/bugs whenever I switch on the lights for a long time (esp. this weather). There are not lizards to help to eat up those creatures.

nelle

afcai, no, not afraid of any animals (serious). My partner is dead scared though...hahaha.... he will walk one big round to avoid going near one.

afcai

Hi nelle,
wow, gd for u...lucky, my hubby not afraid, he will use toilet paper and catch it, throw it away either down the window or toilet bowl.

Gong Xi Fa Cai to u!

hello88

Hi afcaii,

hahaha...for me, my hubby scare of insects and lizards so I'm always the one who got rid of all of it.

afcai

Hi sunnyday,
wow, u live in kampong when u are young, is it? how can one train not to afraid of such thing man...

hello88

Hi afcai,

yup, i stayed in kampong before when young but think not really due to that. Just not scare of the insects...hehehe

pinkbunny

such a funny thread. just wanted to share with you guys that my mum says lizards are supposed to be good cos if your house has no lizards, it means that it's so 'dirty' that even lizards don't dare to be in it. hey, i'm just repeating old wives tale ya?

but then again, scientifically speaking, they're supposed to be useful aren't they? at eating insects and stuff?

don't get me wrong i'm not a lizard lover. i was 'attacked' by 4 in my house the other day. must have been a family outing or something. they were all staring at me with their beady eyes and yucky skin. i felt really bad but i didn't hesitate to take the can of baygon out. i wasted 2 cans on 2 lizards. the other 2 disappeared to i don't know where.

so my two cents: if you see one lizard scurrying in the house, then just leave it la. it's a good guy. but when you're attacked by 4 at one go, then good luck to you!!!

afcai

Hi sunnyday,
oic. my hubby also live in kampong when young, that's why he is not afraid but my brother is afraid esp cockroach.

afcai

Hi Pink Bunny,
yup, heard before of the old wife tale. yup, they are useful but to me, still 'disgusting'.wow, 'attacking' by 4 lizards, haa must be family of 4 'touring' yr hse for 'food'(flies or whatever...) or they wanted to wish u "gong xi fa cai"....:p

hello88

Hi afcai,

hahaha....i think cockroaches scare of me instead. I used to make them 'suffer' when I was in school. I'll prepare a pail of water and give the cockroaches 'swimming' while i bathe...hahaha. Thats history now.

as for lizards, they disappeared when I had a cat at home but that's years ago. They surfaced again after I gave my cat away

afcai

Hi sunnyday,
haa...cockroaches esp those creepy crawl, so digusting....nowsdays cockroaches are quite 'advance', know how to fly, comparing to yrs back, I dun think they can fly.

wow, torturing the cockroach such way..haa...wow, yr cat seems to catch lizard..

hello88

Hi afcai,

ya..in fact, all insects are commando trained nowadays. I dun care...they can fly but i still can catch them either with my hands or tissue if i got the time to grab one. I also hate to see ants around the house. Just hate all this insects. I used to stay 11th floor and still got cockroaches...now 6th floor also still got cockroaches. They always come out near to midnight and i'll be there waiting to 'gun' them down.

yup, i think my cat got rid of all the lizards. But i actually heard that lizards are like fortune....luck to the owner leh

jackohy

'advance' cockroaches are quite fun ... u can actually practise playing baseball with a magazine or newspaper.