Any good SEAMSTRESS to recommend ?

jwlng

Hi, seems that a lot of ppl tailoring their evening gowns and dresses... me and my wife went through a roller coaster ride a couple of weeks when my wife realised after seeing her PS pics that she really didn't like the MTM EG from the studio... that's when we decided to go ahead and tailor her very own EG... went to Bamboo Fashion House beside People's Park Complex... not exactly sure how to describe the place, but if you walk down the street where OG is, you'll walk past 2 coffee shops and then there's a stairway up. It's at the second floor. Anyway, the dress will be ready for collection in a couple of day's time.. and from the fitting sessions, there was a whole lot of difference between the gown provided by the studio and one made for you and you alone... the biggest difference would be at the seams. In the case of bridal studios, they have a habit of leaving lots of extra cloth at the seams so that in future, a bride with slightly larger proportions can wear it... the result can be quite ugly and even though you're supposed to have a gown made to measure, it doesn't fit that well. The price is really reasonable and their workmanship is really good. The best thing is that they are fast and the lady boss is quite a perfectionist and continually gives suggestions on how to make the gown look even better. I guess for something that is once in a lifetime, a few hundred dollars more would not make any difference. The only regret we have is that we did not make the gown before the photoshoot... otherwise it would have been perfect. Will take some pictures of the gown when my wife collects it and see what the comments are. If anyone's interested, can just email me at [email protected]

flotan

Hi to those who requested my pix.
sorry for the delay!
happy.gif
so busy with work so didn't chk this forum.
you've got mail

marilyn_chh

Hi christine & blue-genie & rolly-polly
Thanks for your compliments!
happy.gif

Hi mehmeh,
Thanks thans! But, aiyah where got good complexion?? Makeup does wonders lah.. I actually have lots of white heads and oil bumbs on my forehead...somehow just can't get rid of them. I guess, my MUA must have put a lot of foundation to smoothen them..keke...Mmm, guess she did a good job in concealing them..kekek...

hi josie,
I looked Kim up 3 months before my wedding. That's also went I found out abt her lah..
happy.gif
You have plenty of time lah.. I suggest you called her up and ask her when is the suitable time to make an appt.

josie

marilyn ,

Thank you for your advise .... can i know kim will draft out the design on paper before proceed with it ???
I will tailor my mum and my cocktail gown ....can i know how her charges ? And will she accompany you to choose the material ??

:p sorry for asking soo many questions...thank you very muchie !!

marilyn_chh

Hi josie,
No, you have to provide her the design..Remember she's only a seamstress.. :p It's best you bring the design to her from magazine cuttings or alternatively, you draw out the design for her. Only then, she will not what you're looking for.. For me, I draw out the design plus bringing her all the magazine cuttings that I have. If not, it's difficult for her visualise and this way will help minimise assumptions, right?

If the material used is difficult to sew, she'll charge more. She charged me $200 for a full beaded material. So, if the material is a plain, non beaded cloth, should be much cheaper. Actually, best you check with her cos if what I said does not tally, then it's not very nice, right? Afterall, I'm not the seamstress
happy.gif

Yes, she'll accompany you to buy material if you want her to and which I think is very important. But of course this also provided her schedule permits her to do so lah...

josie

marilyn ,

thank alot for your advise .. i have just spoke to Kim just now ..i will be seeing her only feb ...I will take notes of it and cut down design which i want my gown to be ...!!

Hmmm ..i think 200 for workmanship is reasonable
happy.gif
all the best to your blissful marriage .... !!!

postpet2

Marilyn, thanks for the pics..

you look gorgeous!!!!
sexy as well....
the EG is super duper sexy...esp from the back...
*whistle*...

marilyn_chh

Josie,
Thanks thanks...
happy.gif
Hope you'll have a nice working experience with Kim too!

Postpet,
Aiyoh, don't whistle lah..You're making me blush..hehhe...

zenith

marilyn, thanx for the pics. yr EG & tea dress is sooooooo nice! can i hv yr seamstress contact? thanx!

cocoa

Hi Marilyn,

Can I take a look at Kim's dresses as well? Me looking for a seamstress to do a dress for christmas.
happy.gif

Cocoa

mehmeh_lim

Hi Marilyn

Do you think Kim will be able to tailor a CS by 18th Dec?
I already have the material with me and design in mind.

marilyn_chh

Hi mag,
Have i send you the links?

mehmeh,
err..not too sure leh.. May be you can try calling her and check with Kim on her schedule?

mehmeh_lim

Thanks Marilyn

Have called Kim. Unfortunately she's not able to.
But I think I will still go to her to make the CS for CNY and many other wedding dinners to come.

ochgal

Hi

Just to confirm, is Kim's address

Blk 246 #11-359
Tampines St 21
Tel: 67831963

Is it a shop or her house? Thanks!

marilyn_chh

Hi Tess,
It depends on the design and the material used. Mine she charges 100 for the workmanship and the fabric, I paid myself. So in total my CS cost me $200.

Hi Ming&Lin,
Will the posting the picture in this link soon.

marilyn_chh

Oh yeah, something to add. Kim doesn't design. Find that she's good at giving suggestion based on your design than asking her to come out with a design. My 2 dresses are self-design. I drew the design out and also brought all the magazine cutting where I got my inspiration from to her to give her a better picture.

zann

hi Ming&Lin,

tried to send the pic to yr email but it got bounced back saying there is no such email.

coyote

marilyn, ur EG very nice. too bad I only left wif 2.5mths so I cannot approach kim.

zann, who is ur seamstress ah?

zann

Hi Ming&Lin,

Thanks for the compliment! Judy's contact is right on the way!

Hi Marilyn,

My pleasure! You've got mail~

Hi D.O.G,

i sent you Judy's contact and charges liao :D

marilyn_chh

zann,
wou! sexy back and slits! very classy!
happy.gif

hi girls,
here's the back view of my CS. The hand on my butt belongs to my brother's gf
happy.gif
, not hubby..heheh..The low back was suggested by Kim actually..

220158.jpg