Annulment

tearsofjoy

Oh no! summergem, i may find myself in the same situation with ur fiance.
I am going to ROM this dec. and i have annulled before. but i do have the cert of annulment. it's a piece of doc that says certificate of annulment. I believe ur fiance will need to go get the docs from the lawyer. But qns is how come since its already finalised, ROM has NO records or anythin?? oh no....

summergem

Hi Tearsofjoy,

the lawyer was find by his ex-wife,. We call the law firm ytd, the person said the case is quite long back, at 2007. They time to retrieve, files at warehouse wor.
I really worried. He did receive any other document except the one I mention stating they are filing anulment till now nothings else. We are thinking is already 2 year plus, it should finalize and granted by court, is it?

tearsofjoy

Tats what i thought so too. Oh dear.. and the lawyer did not even do their job properly and handed them the certs?
no way ur fiance can check with his ex wife? though i also know this is very tough. but she may know something? I got annulled in 2006 end. my ex already married with a child! and i think there shldnt be a prob with the cert of annulment. so really need to get the cert by sunday asap.
summergem, can i check that the personnel there merely asked if anyone is divorced to both of you only? honestly i am still rather worried on my rom day..

summergem

Ya. Before doing declare, he ask any one divorce, but I not sure is it same as annulment. Then show him the final judgement paper which I dun have!!!!! Screaming Liao.

memories03

summergem: hope this can help u

this is wat i know fr my lawyer.. i in the mid of annulment.. the annulment consist of 3 different paper .. when it finalise, the court will issue 2 copy to the lawyer firm 4 the lawyer to sign...

for my case i pay the full amt, so i dun have intention to give him the cert.. with the cert, he cant do anything...

if he wan to duplicate the cert, he had to find back my lawyer to sign...

tearsofjoy

Memories, i like ur style! good! cos some guys can really be jerks when come to this matter. I too had to appear in court and be the one filing for the anulment and tell the judge that HE DOES NOT wish to consumate the marriage. but he paid the money la. and i last heard he is happily married and with kid somemore. wah lau.
summergem, gota get the cert quick, if not cannot proceed with ROM. but i dunno how come ROM dun have records??

summergem

Actually my bf is paying for the fee but is his ex-wife find lawyer. But so far he only received one copy send from court. Later he is going to family court yo check. If apply for the certain takes how long ah?
The person at the rom said he do not need to see the actual cert, he want us to be sure tat the divorce is settled or else he will be charge. Somemore he is police officer leh, if get charge funny lo. Police catch police.
I totally no mood to work now

summergem

Hi tearsofjoy & memories,

tks alot for ur advice. Everything settled. My bf blur like sotong, he received the final judgement document but he tot is the duplicate copy of the statement from court and he kept it in the car. Really a shock of my life. But tks for all ur kind advice.

tearsofjoy

Yippee! happy wedding to you!
happy.gif

stressedout

Memories03 - Im so facing the same problem as you did. Except my fairy tale ended after 1 month and the nightmare began. Need annullment and ex-husband causing sooo much headache. Can i have the name & contact of your lawyer please?? Thank u soo much

poitto

Hi All... If married for 2.5 years can annul? is it within 3 years can annul? if have HDB flat liao then the flat will have to return to hdb?

whitelv

wats the diff between annulment and divorce? i thought annulment can only be done within the first year of marriage....how come some couples can still file for annulment after couple of years of marriage? *confused*

poitto yes. the flat got to return to hdb at a lost of 95% of current value or 10% of the market value,, which ever higher. and the money is deductable by CPF. if CPF not enough, will have to top up with cash. no money = go and die.

250K value. worst case is 10% = 25K.

if 350K value, then 35K

if 450K vale then 45K. plus stamp fees and everything shit other $$$ = 5K. just nice 50K off your cpf and u got no money to buy a new flat. unless you rich. the shit of divorce.

2.5 year cannot go for annul. u got to separate 3 years, based on uncontested, with the lawyer fee of 3-4K.

then 3 years later the shit come when the lawyer will ask u to top up $$$ because interim, stamps and every other shit rises price as inflation hit again...

this is what the crap happens to me, no good things except bad. but my case is I got the lady and so the money is somehow worth the challenge.... dispite i am a dam poor man

lim_hock_seng

My wife said she would put up a statement for annulment of our marriage a week ago.

However, she refuses to reveal whether she has engaged a lawyer to commence the legal proceeding to annul the marriage.

I have the following questions to ask.

If anyone have the answers, please email to my email address [email protected].

(1) Is there a way for me to find out whether she has engaged a lawyer to commence the legal proceeding to annul the marriage?

(2) How soon will I be notified if she has engaged a lawyer to commence the legal proceeding to annual the marriage?

(3) If the statement for annulment of marriage is slanderous from my point of view, do I have to put it right?

(4) If I attempt to put it right, will it result in delaying the annulment of marriage?

(5) Do I need the service of a lawyer to put the statement right so that it is not slanderous to me?

(6) If I do not attempt to put it right, will it in anyway affect my good name in future?

(7) If a marriage is annulled, will any certificate of annulment of marriage be issued to both parties? Or else how to know a marriage is annulled?

Regards

Hock Seng

Jeffersen, correction to this

"2.5 year cannot go for annul"

Annulment has no time limit. As long as the marriage is not consumated, can annul. Pple often says that annulment can only happen within 1 year, that is wrong info.

sundaycat

I am born a muslim and I married a non-muslim man few years back under the Civil marriages with ROM. Now my husband is ready to convert to be a muslim. How can I register our marriage with ROMM? Must I annul my civil marriage first? If yes, is there a simple way to do it without getting lawyers etc?

seonto

hi. not too sure is this tread still alive. I need some contacts for lawyers as i am seeking for annulment to my marriage. thank you in advance

faith_in_god

Hi Sundaycat, I'm in an exact position where u r. Only that my husband is now in the conversion process. Would like to knw if ud already went through the ROMM as ud posted it a year back. I will try n check through ROMM if the ROM marriage is considered voided or will ve to go through any divorce process.

mei86

is there a way to make annulment 1 sided cos partner refuse to sign?
from 1st day ROM til now, we never stay together nor consummate the marriage.
have quarreled till we have decided to annul, however he changed his mind where im still insisted to annul.
lawyer kinda useless....if he refused, another alternative will be separation and another 4 yrs can auto divorce...
it is so unfair to me, just because he refused to sign so i have to wait for 4 years?
advise pls....

yesno333

Yup u can file for annulment by urself...2 criteria need to be met though..firstly ur partner dun turn up in court to contest it on the date of attendance and he dun contest it within the next 3 months from the date of filing...dun think is becoz ur lawyer is uselss, he dun want u to waste money mah...imagine file liao..then ur annulment got contested then waste of money also....later u feel cheated leh....

And if he contest the marriage...u 2 have to wait for 4 years to divorce....esp for a gal....ur youth would be flying out of the window....G_G"

cococherry

it's difficult if he refuses to sign the document which is to submit to court for hearing date.
is there any ways that u can persuade him to sign or prove that both of you have not consummate the marriage? e.g virgin

yesno333

If u are truly a virgin, u can appoint a medical doctor to prove ur case....in this case contest or no contest...the marriage will be annul....on the basis that u are indeed really a virgin.

By the way, u can file for annulment with or without his signature...the thing is if he contest the annulment it will be void and u have just waste ur money....><"

mei86

so if let say he contest n have to wait for 4 yrs... i got hdb on hand...i have to pay til 4 yrs as well?

lilyho85

Hi, I would like to find out what is 'unreasonable behaviour' in annulment? is repeated shouting in public and use of hokkien vulgarities in public unreasonable to the court?

also painful grabbing of arm. it happened more than once, but the latest one led to 4 small bruise marks on my arm. the issues concerned were minor to me, e.g. late coming, misunderstanding leading to a change of plans to go another place for date, accidentally calling him during a meeting. he shouted at me without stopping. i felt humiliated as people were staring so i tried to walk away. then he grabbed my arm with a lot of strength and threatened me that he won't let go unless i follow him to where he wants to go. i was affected by his reaction and could not sleep well for 2 nights.

also there was unreasonable shouting when i ask him to accompany me to meet my friends or family. i always oblige when he asks me, but every time i asked him to, he raise his voice at me. there was also verbal criticism of my dressing.

i feel bad that it ends like this. but i am worried that as he can treat me so roughly soon after rom, things will get worse. he doesn't behave like he loves or respects me anymore. he even said that he would burn my whole house down. i am not a saint. i have made negative remarks abt him before when we quarrel but it was always two way. he also criticised me back. and on the day when he lost it, i did not say anything bad abt him at all. the minute he saw me, he started to pick on me in the middle of the street.

i still have feelings for him, but i think it will be difficult to live with someone who can just publicly humiliate me. i also don't wish to start a family with a man who treats me like this. it will have a bad effect on our kids. i would like to find out how to annul. he has verbally agreed to it. i saw the annulment conditions and they all look like unusual circumstance. appreciate if anyone can tell me if the above that i cited is unreasonable behaviour?

thank you.

yesno333

Unreasonable behaviour is a term frequently use when fighting a case under divorce...this usually occurs when proving adultery is difficult and the husband and wife just want to get things done with fast....So far i have never heard of anyone able to pull off proving unreasonable behaviour in annulment. If that is the reason you are trying to use for annulment i would suggest u opt for early divorce.

Anyway the above reasons u stated are enough to constitute for unreasonable behaviour...but definitely not good enough for you to get ur marriage annulled...

If in doubt, ask your lawyer for further details....

kuromi87

hi lilyho,i got into the same situation as you..can really understand how you feel right now. T_T could anyone tell me what is the different between annulment and divorce?..i m married for 2.5 year..wanted to file a divorce..but i think in singapore need 3 years of marriage in order to file a divorce..i really need some advice and help..thank you so much.

yesno333

You need to wait for 4 years before u can carry out ur divorce not 3 years since u have been married only for 2.5years.....u can file for early divorce if u want...but again that would be based on special circumstances...

Under the ruling of annulment...the law will treat it as though this marriage has never happens before...u retains ur "single" status...and do not need to put in divorced when filling in the blanks for forms....><"

But to go for annulment after 2.5 years...eh..it can be done...but sure not going to be easy...unless u guys have been staying apart for the last 2.5 years since marriage..u can try going for non-consummation...

If not....just file for separation now and wait for ur 4 years to be up and get ur divorce papers...><"

kuromi87

thank you yesno333 for your reply..if that is the case,i would like to try to file a annulment.just hope everything turn out fine for me..

andym

is there any lawyer that possibly can help me arrange the annulment in Singapore who have good knowledge and relation/access to Indonesian bureaucracy?

I previously married (church sacrament, and 'mixtae religi' included) 11 years ago in Indonesia, but my divorced papers has came through on July-October 2011, unfortunately was handled by my ex wife (a Christian Protestant) without getting the annulment by Catholic church.

As I have plan in the very near future to remarry, I need further information involving both couple Indonesian (both Catholic) using tourist visa (it's possible for me to stay in Singapore for 15 days) to legally marry, approved by Singapore and surely by Indonesian government, and also accepted by the Catholic church.
I would be very grateful if I can get some or full help regarding this matter since my real concern is on the Indonesian side.

Thank you very much before hand.

matka

Hi Andy, if your concern is on the church, you will need to get your marriage annulment done via the Church. If I am not wrong, the annulment process takes quite a while, perhaps even years. You will need to speak to a priest about this. This is a separate procedure from the legal marriage.

mei86

me again,
he yet to respond anything from lawyer side till now. I initiated to meet him with councellor ard and i asked for his condition in order to agree to sign. he still doesnt want to sign and want to start over, i said no after all the hurts and the messed.
he requested for 100k+ for whatever he has spent on ROM + flat, he could be added the cov+prewed pic+ ROM+ his CPF.
i don't hv that figure but i still can afford the lawyer fee up till now...
AND another condition, he is asking me to let him keep the flat where is impossible coz the flat has to be surrendered and he knows. he said since i alr paid for the lawyer let the lawyer do the job.
i couldn't take it alr....almost faint on the spot but i have to kp myself strong not to collapse at this point of time.
i leave it to lawyer settle from now on...

cococherry

U can wait 4yrs If you are young, have the time to wait and not in a hurry to marry someone else. Yr next beau should be willing to wait for you as well. Any time in these 3yrs if he changes his mind to sign, both of you can still proceed with the annulment. Pray hard he found a gf, usually his new gf will make him annul his marriage with you.

mei86

That should be separation already right? Separation i thought will only lead to divorce? Im going to leave this country thats why i cant wait n keep paying for the flat. Kinda trauma to man alr..

cococherry

What's your lawyer's advice? I thought you can only file for separation after 3yrs. Surely there's a way to make him agree, try harder. If u couldn afford 100k perhaps can neg to 50k.

bobian

Man, 36, Married 6 years, need lawyer to proceed with divorce without defendant consent. Please pm.

cococherry

I'm unable to advise on housing but a friend of mine surrender theirs back to HDB after annulment. As for penalty wise, I have no idea how much they paid. It will be better to give HDB a call to find out the cost and also to work out your budget since you have loans, lawyer fees and penalty to pay.

lilyho85

I feel so desperate. I feel that he's not the right one for me, but i can't find the courage to walk out. How to find the courage? I don't know how to answer to everyone. Today i asked for his home phone number and he refused to give it to me. I am so sick of having arguments over ridiculous things. We are married and he doesn't want to give me his house phone number. Our friends who don't know think that i'm the one who has trust issues. Actually the person who doesn't trust is him. All along, he never lets me use his computer. His phone is also password protected. I can't be in a marriage where i'm mistrusted and treated like a stranger.

mei86

lilyho85 i feel u...the reason is "he needs privacy"
fine, give him privacy yet still ask for freedom, dont get marry then...
this kinda man is simply brainless...want to have best of both worlds