Amara Sanctuary

I agree with the decor and needing to do some customisation. Plus we still need to do the printing of the invitation cards ourselves. However, we thought we can source for cheaper alternatives so didn't affect us much.

However, my partner and I still decided to go for AS coz of the 'feel' that we both liked the place. And also though the price is also high but is nett price. And some other nitty gritty stuff are already included whereas other hotels we still need to pay to top-up (which you need to read the fine prints carefully!)

Totally agree that Samuel is passive and we have to keep asking and asking and checking and asking again. End up we still didn't get much extra perks, just the perks they gave at the BOWS wedding show. However, we were quite pleased that they gave us the 2009 price though our wedding will only be end of 2011.

Therefore we are crossing our fingers tightly that no hiccups will happen. Till then...

rachelloh

Hi sprinkles, I believe you contacted me via email and I replied you. Sorry I was MIA on the forum..

To the rest of the brides, sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with the service. I too had the same problems and found that I had to go the extra mile to get them to do their jobs, which is why I mentioned on my blog that it takes perseverence to deal with them.

My husband and I chose AS, despite the many complaints on this forum, because we really loved the Glass Pavilion. And for that, we were willing to take a risk.

Do hang in there as well, the wedding planners at AS tend to be passive (I was planning from London, so the problem was worse off..), but I had a good experience with the operations manager and banquet manager, both of whom executed the wedding well. The wedding planner tends to just communicate whatever you want to operations and banquet team.

I was a bit of a bridezilla and met with them quite a couple of times before our wedding because I was worried that nothing will get done with me in London, and them unresponsive in Singapore. Perhaps you can try making appointments to see them, and letting them know your requests face-to-face, rather than through email or phone call.

Hang in there, I can understand the position you're in as I've been through it and I hope all of you will get what you want for your wedding.

michimichi

Hi, i actually did check with them with regards to the Halal food. I was told that they provide food with no pork/lard but they are not official certified Halal. They do provide vegetarian too.

nwy51

Hi anastasiazen & Keevely,

My coordinator is Sharon Chia. I was complaining about her slow response initially. She is slow but still professional and ok when I meet her up or call her. I almost wanted to complain as she kept delaying her reply to some of the details I'm checking.

But she did mentioned that she was sort of tied up for the bridal workshop and apologised. Everything seems to be fine for now and I can feel her responsiveness after a while.

I went down to the bridal workshop with my parents again and was quite certain that the venue would look lovely... so to all other BTB...please hang on as per what Rachel advised.

My AD is Jul2011 and cross fingers that things will turn out smoothly. But I realize alot others are getting Samuel as their coordinator. Anyone else is attached to Sharon?

Fingers crossed!

kevely

Hi Janet,

Mine's neither Sharon nor Samuel. I'm pinning my hope on the banquet manager and the asst banquet manager already. They are at least more knowledgeable and willing to share ideas with me. I went to the workshop too and instead of the manager in charge of my wedding talking to me about the setup when he was the one who invited me to make a trip there, the asst banquet manager was the one.

The favours and cards were such a letdown. Even Carlton Hotel has a better variety. They were so outdated and do not even go in line with the image of the hotel. I have brought this up to the manager before I signed the contract, which was in March and he told me that he is working with his previous supplier to get a wider variety but till now, the reply I got from the manager is, "we are working on it". I really hope they will expedite on it. If it's still going to be the same, there's a high chance that I will get my own cards and favour.

btw, my AD is on Jan 2011. Really crossing my fingers and toes.

enid

Hi Kevely,
This is one of the reasons why I mentioned in my previous post that we will end up spending a lot more to top up on the things they lack. I agree the invites and favors are really bad, have you seen the wedding cake? I have to source for my own cake as theirs looked so ordinary and unpretty. And these are the things we never expect to put in our budgets beforehand which amounts to quite an additional sum. The floral provided in the package is really bad too, expect to top up a lot more in this area. By the way, the cutlery looks cheap too. It is really poor image on the hotel. And you wonder why are they in this wedding business when they don't bother about such details.

Really when seeing rachel's blog make me feel that "everything's gonna be alrite"....

i think any hotel there bound to be pros and cons...and since if we are preparing for it early...we have more time to try source for affordable and good printing and card for the invites and favours.

i guess it's natural to be uptight and fussy, afterall it's our once-in-a-lifetime moment...

Since already signed up, let's just to relax and slowly get 1 things done one by one....

We can update here to keep one another informed...

happy.gif

nwy51

Hi Ladies,

I was so skeptical before confirming with all the negative feedbacks online...but I changed my mind after seeing Rachel's post and hope mine will be smooth ..*crossing fingers & toes*....and I hope the rest of you will have also have a wonderful AD.

But i seriously think that the intelligence lightings in the ballroom really makes a difference to the atmosphere during the dinner. I've been searching for the right venue high and low and literally seen most of the hotel ballroom before I confirm. So I hope that I don't regret.

And Keevely, you still have like 7 mths more to go before your AD. So let's hope that there will be more choices and on the favors or cards in time to come. Nevertheless, you will also have ample time to source around. And no matter its the sales manager or banquet manager we need to liase with, as long as they can get our request done and make sure nothing goes wrong during the dinner I think that would be fine.

I'm sure all of you who signed do like the venue...so make the best out of it...

Let's hope that all will be fine..and for all BTB...please keep each other updated of the latest developments!!!

kevely

Likewise, I really like the ballroom, which is why my fiance and I decided to go ahead.

Yes, let's make the best of everything and create our dream wedding!

btw, did any of you check with your sales manager regarding the music licence? I've 2 different answers so not sure what is the right answer.

nwy51

Hi Girls,

I did checked with my planner and she mentioned that so long as we have the original CD with us...that should be fine in the event there is a spot check... Is this answer the same as you gerz?

kevely

Am afraid not anastasiazen. Downloaded songs are not allowed. Is it ok as long as we use original CD? I have the impression that even if we use original CD, we still have to pay a fee to Compass since we are paying the music in a public area.

Also, I am going to engage a live band but not sure whether do I need to pay any fees for that. I was being told that as long as the hotel has already paid a fee to cover that.

Think the best way is to check with Compass directly.

blurrybride

Thanks anastasiazen.

May I know anyone signed up during June workshop?

I dunno who's my coordinator as I signed up with the Asst director. Have anyone rec'd the contract?

ballerina18

Anyone signed up recently? Or any who had held wedding recently care to share feedback on their services, food and decorations?

jemandjoyce

Hello everyone, the thread so far has been really informative. Rachel's blog is truly inspiring and I think AS should pay you for doing such a great job to promote them!

Anyone combining solemnization and wedding dinner on the same day? I'm wondering if they will insist on charging the standalone price for the Glass Pavilion ($3888) even though I would be having the dinner almost immediately after the solemnization ceremony. Great if anyone can enlighten me! Thanks!

chocolatemilk

Hi everyone,I have been following this thread as AS is one of my top choice for my wedding however the negative tidious follow ups of a BTB is scaring me..I had emailed a couple of request,unfortunately it took ages to reply or simply no reply.I had the same query as Joyce Lee too..hopefully someone got an answer cos I find it too much to pay $3888 for the solemnisation and then proceed for the wedding dinner straight away..Thanks

Hi chocolatemilk,

did you email the banquet's side email?

coz previously i emailed twice and got no reply...and i called them then the staff forward my email to the banquet side.
happy.gif

vocikit

Just did my food tasting recently. Despite the negativity experienced in negotiating with the coord, i have to praise them for their quality food!

blurrybride

If you signed up the bandquet with them, they will give you a promotional price of $1388 for the glass pavilion without food.

Their package is $928/$998 from sun to thurs AND $1288/$1388 for Fri and Sat.

However, I think they are increasing their price.
SO i think it's better that you all email them.

FYI: they will have a roadshow on Sept.

vocikit

Hi Anastasiazen, i took the chinese menu. Yes, they served all the food on the menu.

I sent you an PM with my email, i can email you the menu if u want.

orianne

Hi Ladies,

Here's my experience with AS so far...havent sign contract but am thinking of not signing...though i really like their glass pavilion....:|

Service wise:

Slow to get back to you.....took the manager more than a week to contact me!!!

When we finally fixed up a date.....talked things through and requested for some perks...they refused to give us anything maybe becos i have only 20 tables...and maybe becos another couple also wanted the same slot and they might have more tables so he doesnt see the need to give me any perks...i'm quite pissed off about this now.....no additional nite stay no extra room no vouchers watsoever! Or maybe i'm asking too much??not too sure also.....

Banquet Set Up:

As for the AD set-up, there was a wedding dinner on the day that i met the sales manager so i went to take a look at the ballroom and saw their floral arrangement in the ballroom......quite sparse....u wld prob have to top up more money for more flowers but the reception area is nice.

Their selling point:

It's definitely their glass pavilion. If you want to ROM at the glass pavilion without any banquet, it would be 3888 and 1888 if you have any lunch or dinner. Once again, the florist was quite stingy with their flowers....seriously man....is that the norm?

I am contemplating to choose another place!!!

Do you ladies have any tips on a nice hotel with a nice pool or garden for solemnisation? I'm also looking at luncheon for 20 tables only.....I think for 888 per table.......I can maybe find a better place? Need help!!! I'm having it next November.....haiz...

Orianne

orianne

Hi Vocikit,

Do you mind telling us how many tables you have and did they give any perks other than those listed?

thanks much!
Orianne

pinknoir

Hi Orianne, Sheraton has a nice waterfall garden but capacity is much lesser than the glass pavilion.

I just saw the glass pavilion today. IT ROCKS! But the ballroom is bleah. And frontage looks very institutional instead of resort-like, if you know what I mean... But the glass pavilion is really nice. Argh! Don't know if I should choose this..

julia85

Orianne> u may wanna take a look at The P1nes.. its a country club.. they have a pretty garden for ROM... or the changi village hotel or crowne plaza for poolside ROM...

vocikit

Orianne: Dun think its the number of tables but they are generally inflexible. It's like no amount of hinting or blatant bargaining can get them to relent on certain things - which in other places are damn easy to secure - such as waiver of corkage.

sdcl

Hi all,

Interested in Amara, but wondering what the minimum number of people/tables is? I know there's the big ballroom, definitely too big for my wedding, but wondering if there's a smaller ballroom/outdoor patio type for about 100pax (max)?

Thanks!

sdcl

Hello all,

I had a relatively quick reply from Amara - and best of all, the date I want is still available! :D Not the large ballroom, though, which is too large for me. I just want to ask if any of you will be holding your wedding banquet at Shutters Restaurant (next to Pavilion)? Or have already done so? How was it, and how was the food?

Thanks..

Hi DL,

Haven heard of any banquet held in the Shutters Restaurant and plus the sitting capacity is quite limited there.

Maybe can call up to check?

shhie

anybody gg for their wedding workshop on the 26 sep? Hw abt any future brides who have booked them already?

enid

Hi Girls,
A while back I posted an entry about the disappointing service at Amara Sanctuary, I still stand by the issues I raised, but I want to commend 2 people who turned the situation around with their excellent service. If you are facing a difficult time like I did, please look for Jason Choong from Banquet or William Chan from Events directly. They sincerely went out of their way to make the wedding a success. I wished I had met them much earlier during the wedding planning. I can't thank them enough for their efforts and initiative. Most of all, you can tell they were genuine and not trying to give 'entertaining' responses. Without the 2 of them, I'm sure it would have been a nightmare. I'm still skeptical about the hotel, but I'm won over, only because of these 2 people.

jojoda

Hi Blyton

Have you had your wedding? Do you mind telling me how many tables you have? I do not have many tables and find AS not being very responsive. I had to called them to arrange a site visit b/c they didn't reply to my emails (I don't mind calling them to discuss but it will be a hassle as i don't live in singapore)... Also, my contact person is Jo and everyime we ask her something she always have to go back and as Samuel...

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Many many thanks.

sprinkles

My coordinator also has no initiative and u feel like u r the one who have to constantly be in control and breathe down their neck. I have placed a deposit very long time ago. You wont believe that I have to chase for my contract. Took my deposit but didnt give me a contract.

But till now, there is no updates on the themes, basic invites, stationary, etc that the hotel offers. The June fair was bad I feel as nothing was "ready". They said they are revamping the themes, invites concept, favors, etc. I didnt get to view anything. But as I like the venue, I still went ahead. And similar to Rachel, Im not based in spore...so I havent chase them for anything yet.

Rachel - how long in advance did u pin down the details with them? is 3 mths safe! Coz I wont be back in Spore till 3 mths before wedding..

juniorliem

I just got my draft contract. my coordinator is Sharon, a lady who is difficult to bargain with. Her reply is quite fast but straight forward. but when we met with her, she was polite to show us around. I will have 25 tables for lunch and also booked the glass pavilion for solemnization for Oct 2011.
happy.gif

vocikit

sprinkles: they are quite last min one and probably you won't hear from them until less than 3 months before the date.

tipsystar

hihi girls,

AS had just released their 2011 pricing! there is no longer nett price.. all prices now come with ' ++'

minor changes to package as well..