Advise for Guo Da Li

Xin Hui

Hi all,

I am a BTB in Dec 2013 and still have not settled my guo da li stuff. :(

Am kind of at a loss here as when I asked my mum what she require for guo da li, she gave a vague answer and said to just get the groom's family to do according to their Teochew culture. (We are Hokkien).

So...need to check whether anyone here did a simplified guo da li? My mum did mention she does not need those canned pig trotters as we won't eat them and it will be wasteful.

Hence I was thinking if it is ok to just have a set of wedding cakes. Are we able to check with the traditional wedding cake shops? :confused:

Really appreciate any advice from you.

Thank you in advance!

lemonzil

u can check with those shops selling these wedding items..

then check with ur in-laws abt this. ask ur mom what exactly she wants/dont want (if possible).

if it's just cakes can just order.. but try to get the confirmed numbers asap so that you wont be pressing for time later...

PatChan

there should be a session of 提亲before guo da li. where your family states what they want. and finalize what to exchange.

Yhan

Hi, I am a Dec 2013 bride and also am a hokkien marrying a teochew =) Hope this helps. I had my GDL last week. The groom's side presented the following items to my mum
1. 36 boxes of cakes (this number varys according to how many relatives you have)
2. 18 bottles of canned pig trotters (this number varys as well)
3. 2 bottles of hard liquor
4. traditional teochew cookies. (the one with sesame and peanut)
5. 2 packets of rock sugar
6. 2 packets of red dates (these and the rock sugar are for the bride's side to cook the red date tea for tea ceremony)
7. Bride price (usually hokkiens will not state a particular amount, so it depends on how much the groom's side give, your parents take a portion and return the rest)
8. 12 oranges
9. A piece of traditional wax

For the bride's side this is what we presented:
1. My mum bought the bed linen for the new bed. Girl's side is supposed to buy the new bedsheets for setting of the marital bed, new pillows, quilts etc
2. Tea set for tea ceremony
3. A pair of bowls and chopsticks
4. A sewing kit
6. Return half of whatever the guys presented except the alcohol
7. Return 2 bottles of orange squash for the alcohol
8. A baby potty basin
9. A face basin
10. A basin for baby to shower
11. I have a luggage with 6 pieces of new clothing, underwear (this is part of the bride's dowry and signifies bringing wealth to your husband)
12. towels for your husband's siblings if any
13. 2 angbaos for your in-laws each
14. a pair of shoes from the bride's parents to the groom
15. 2 pairs of bedroom slippers
16. 1 pair of wooden clogs
17. 2 towels for the couple
18. 1 mug (put a pair of toohbrush and 1 toothpaste inside)

We ordered our GDL cakes from Pine Garden at AMK. $12.80/box and received very good reviews from family members!

babyger07

my wedding was earlier this month, i am hokkien and my hubby is teochew. the list Yhan provided is very comprehensive. if both families decide to keep it simple, you can always replace items with red packets, indicating the item being replaced eg. pig trotters replaced with red packet. if you are following teochew culture, will be good to get traditional teochew biscuits since it is not everyday that you get to eat them. check out http://www.ginthye.com/wedding.html 伍色糖,min. 2 weeks in advance. gin thye also caters old school sponge cakes.

following tradition of GDL, the groom has to get 2 sets of candles, 1 pair dragon and 1 pair phoenix, to be presented to bride's family during GDL. bride to keep dragon and return phoenix to groom. the bride has to prepare a pair of prosperity lamps to bring over to groom's place during GDL.

hope this helps. :)

Hi all, just wanna ask...must my groom deliver all the GDL stuff in those gdl basket???

My mom saw e gdl basket and insists that the items must be delivered in them though it must be returned to the shop in 3 days time!

I say my groom can deliver the stuff in a plastic bag..dun nees e box as its so expensive just renting it!!!.

Just find it so.ridiculous!!!!!!! And my mom is always changING her demands for e gdl...I really find these customs so ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

Yhan

Yes the groom's side rented 2 baskets for GDL. It was only right and proper to do that cos it is also more formal. GDL is a very formal occassion that shows the groom's sincerity and respect to the bride's family so I think it is only right. The bride's parents have raised her well for so many years and they should be accorded the respect they deserve.

Yhan

Chill, relax & enjoy the process. It is only once in a lifetime. My huaband accedded accedeed to all my mum's requests. My parents did not ask for alot of things but my mum requested for more boxes of cakes kinda last minute. I will feel really disappointed if my husband to be can't accord my parents the respect they deserve and just wanted to do things the cheapest way. We both felt that it was important for our families to be happy and do things the right way.

lemonzil

traditionally, yes the basket. i guess it looks better too.
i understand some familes who take GDL very impt where the invite relatives over too.

ur htb wont look good carrying plastic bags up. the basket definitely is a better choice. my hubs also rented the basket too even though my parents did not demand. it was my in-laws who insisted that he should use it.

take it easy. ;)

PatChan

my hubby used a basket too. it was not requested by my parents, it was insisted by my god ma that she say she's going to borrow, keep calling us to pick it up from her before the GDL day.

Hi, I am a Dec 2013 bride and also am a hokkien marrying a
11. I have a luggage with 6 pieces of new clothing, underwear (this is part of the bride's dowry and signifies bringing wealth to your husband)
We ordered our GDL cakes from Pine Garden at AMK. $12.80/box and received very good reviews from family members!

Hi, is it necessary to prepare new clothings and underwear? i seldom see btb mentioning.

how about other btb? did you prepare this?

lemonzil

never heard of this. only heard of pants with pockets to date. perhaps it's a very old tradition? best to check with shops?

PatChan

Hi, is it necessary to prepare new clothings and underwear? i seldom see btb mentioning.

how about other btb? did you prepare this?
It's up to individual, I did prepare a few sets of clothings and undergarment for GDL, and my aunt told me that I need new sets of cosmetic and toiletries so I bought them all as well.

It's up to individual, I did prepare a few sets of clothings and undergarment for GDL, and my aunt told me that I need new sets of cosmetic and toiletries so I bought them all as well.

is it applicable for all dialet?
need to be 6 set? i didnt prepare any leh

PatChan

applicable to all, I have heard about the standard of six sets of clothings but I didnt really get 6.
for other tolietries get in a pair

PatChan

Is it quite normal to spend 500 on guo da Li items?
It all depends on the requirements.
The package from the shop ofr Bride and Groom are around 198 and 168 respectively, but the package may not be complete depending on the requested items, the number of trotter cans (spent ard 121), the liquor and Orange juice, the cake (I spent ard 240) , bought additional set of pyjamas for the both of us, we also got out Bed Setting set there and the comb hair set.
BAck to square it still depends on your dialects and what the bride parents ask for.

Hi, I am a Dec 2013 bride and also am a hokkien marrying a teochew =) Hope this helps. I had my GDL last week. The groom's side presented the following items to my mum
1. 36 boxes of cakes (this number varys according to how many relatives you have)
2. 18 bottles of canned pig trotters (this number varys as well)
3. 2 bottles of hard liquor
4. traditional teochew cookies. (the one with sesame and peanut)
5. 2 packets of rock sugar
6. 2 packets of red dates (these and the rock sugar are for the bride's side to cook the red date tea for tea ceremony)
7. Bride price (usually hokkiens will not state a particular amount, so it depends on how much the groom's side give, your parents take a portion and return the rest)
8. 12 oranges
9. A piece of traditional wax

1. My mum bought the bed linen for the new bed. Girl's side is supposed to buy the new bedsheets for setting of the marital bed, new pillows, quilts etc
2. Tea set for tea ceremony
3. A pair of bowls and chopsticks
4. A sewing kit
6. Return half of whatever the guys presented except the alcohol
7. Return 2 bottles of orange squash for the alcohol
8. A baby potty basin
9. A face basin
10. A basin for baby to shower
12. towels for your husband's siblings if any
13. 2 angbaos for your in-laws each
14. a pair of shoes from the bride's parents to the groom
15. 2 pairs of bedroom slippers
16. 1 pair of wooden clogs
17. 2 towels for the couple
18. 1 mug (put a pair of toohbrush and 1 toothpaste inside)

*faint* I did not know there are so many things to buy o_O now I'm thinking to just register and just go for honeymoon :eek:

breezy6

Anyone knows that guo da li is depend on bride's dialect or groom's dialect?
What are the items for teochew bride & hokkien groom?
I done some research online, some say depend on bride's dialect some depend on groom's dialect.. very confusing~

babyger07

I done some research online, some say depend on bride's dialect some depend on groom's dialect.. very confusing~
good to have both parents to come together and discuss on what is required, to set expectations right. =)

hippo_woody

I asked the person at Le Knot (City Plaza) b4. They say normally follow groom's dialect. But if either side is got Teochew, then follow the Teochew tradition. Seemingly Teochew got more stuff to cover, maybe the theory of more is betta than less applies here.

Using SingaporeBrides app

Babypeg

I went to Shuang Xi Le they seems to have very nicely packed packages and the price are much lower than other shops. Still considering which one should we take up..

Using SingaporeBrides app

penguinmummy

I personally find TheChineseWeddingShop very expensive and ShuangXiLe even though lower price online, but when you go down to their store, you will realize that their package is not really complete and you have to add on quite a number of things and adds up to quite alot too. Le Knot package looks ok to me.

penguinmummy

You may want to try this shop. Happen to chance upon them during one of the wedding shows I attended.
http://mychineseweddingshop.wix.com/chineseweddingshopsg#!/cee5
www.bachelorette.com.sg

They offer Free step by step guide when you purchase from them unlike those Chinatown shops. Seems like this shop which seems in their website which is by Bachelorette offer packages quite similar to LeKnot and slightly cheaper too :)

Some of the shops in Chinatown may give you a kind of black face and attitude when you ask them too many questions which I encountered personally at 1 of the store :(